• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I just reached lvl 30 on my Mesmer, nice to finally unlock the traits window. However, I do have a question about my clones. Most of them don't seem to be doing any damage at all, why is that? They're great for distractions I suppose, but seeing most of their regular attacks doing 0 to 1 damage is a little bit disheartening :lol Am I missing an equipment window for them or something?

Mesmers actually have two types of clones;
Clones are visual copies of the caster: they have the same name and wield the same weapon, but have little health and do hardly any damage. Their primary purpose is to distract foes and draw aggro.
Phantasms look similar to their creator, but are more obviously illusions: they are nearly transparent with a purple glow, have a unique name, and use unique skills. Phantasms are more durable than clones and tend to do considerably more damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
QSqkoBp.png
well that's a shame. I wonder what numbers they're working with.

I'm on a plane!

edit @ above: clones are also fodder for shattering. phantasms actually do roughly as much damage as the mesmer that summoned them, but obviously keeping them alive isn't the easiest task (or even desirable in a shatter build).

Well I finally completedd the Pokedex, so now I'll probably end up hopping back onto GW2. Is the living story still going on, or did I miss something?

Well I finally completedd the Pokedex, so now I'll probably end up hopping back onto GW2. Is the living story still going on, or did I miss something?
Season 2 is up. The first chapter of it is ongoing until next Tuesday, so you've got a good opportunity to hit it up this weekend.

ACca83C.jpg

lSK7H4E.jpg

A4qH0ux.jpg

I'm starting to warm to Thief. Hit 60 with mine, and it's finally feeling like it's actually doing damage - felt really powerless up to 60 for some reason.

PdAuEwm.jpg

Bonus shot for some random place in Orr.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It's uncanny how much Kos and Ash's characters look like themselves.

----

Anyone here using a controller on a Mac? My sister started playing on her Mac, but she was bummed to hear that the controller setup stuff wasn't too feasible there. (As far as I know.)

----

Awesome action shots Miktar!!!

Thorgal

GAFractals got Mai Trin for the third day in a row. --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQFXqm5FAs

We managed to knock 6 minutes off of yesterday's fight time (plus we managed to do it in one go, rather than needing multiple attempts). The level 49 instability is a lot more forgiving than the level 40 one!

One day i will be there with you guys .

On another note , anyone know a good rotation for Warrior axe/mace ?

This is the current set up i am using ( Balanced stance is also available )
gw22014-07-1212-44-29zwen8.png

Any tips and improvements you guys can give ?

Thorgal

Also 2 new pic 's from my ongoing map completion run .

Greetings from lovely Queensdale .

gw22014-07-1213-25-38iij2c.jpg

On the trip my Charr got hungry .

"That looks tasty !"

gw22014-07-1213-16-344zj9k.jpg

Minamu

Are you using Greatsword?
Yes, I am at the moment. But I've mainly been using a scepter and pistol.

Mesmers actually have two types of clones;
Clones are visual copies of the caster: they have the same name and wield the same weapon, but have little health and do hardly any damage. Their primary purpose is to distract foes and draw aggro.
Phantasms look similar to their creator, but are more obviously illusions: they are nearly transparent with a purple glow, have a unique name, and use unique skills. Phantasms are more durable than clones and tend to do considerably more damage.
I see, yes I've used both kinds, just seemed a bit strange to spam cannon fodder but I guess that's the point :)

edit @ above: clones are also fodder for shattering. phantasms actually do roughly as much damage as the mesmer that summoned them, but obviously keeping them alive isn't the easiest task (or even desirable in a shatter build).
Oh I see, I need to look into it more on how to use shattering properly, the damage or status effects so far have been fairly tame and useless when I'm playing solo (gw2 hardly feels like an mmo at all for me, never has :/).

BraXzy

21% WC now .

Still a ways to go.

Queensdale is one of the biggest maps to complete .

Almost a quarter of the way, nice! If I see you online we'll have to find a map we both need and go exploring :)

TGI Friday's tonight! If they sing I'm running away :L

Complistic

Sweet. I'm logging on now, just to catch a glimpse of it before I go to bed.

During this season, if you just login for each 2 week update, you permanently unlock the story content for your account. So even if you don't have enough time to fully enjoy an update, login anyways to unlock it (you'll see a pop up on the right hand of your screen) and save it for later. It's not like last season where everything is temporary. Also if you don't login during the 2 weeks that an update is first available, you can pay 200 gems to unlock that part of the living story anyway.

I finally got around to purchasing a
second
SSD for
RAID 0
performance and so far it's working great! I hate loading screens!

I finally got around to purchasing a second SSD for RAID 0 performance and so far it's working great! I hate loading screens!
Oh crap, RAID 0 SSDs actually make a difference? How many seconds do you shave off when loading into LA?

Edit: Thorgal, saw your question in the PC thread. If you have a 3770K, then nothing newer will show any real additional FPS gains. You just have to overclock it. A 3770K should be able to hit 4.5 or greater, and Haswells run even hotter and generally have lower overclocks. I haven't seen any convincing evidence that a Haswell 4.5 runs GW2 better than Ivy 4.5, for example. A quality heatsink is equivalent to new processor+motherboard, as far as I'm concerned.

Levyne

Banned
GAFractals got Mai Trin for the third day in a row. --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQFXqm5FAs

We managed to knock 6 minutes off of yesterday's fight time (plus we managed to do it in one go, rather than needing multiple attempts). The level 49 instability is a lot more forgiving than the level 40 one!

Almost a boring fight this time. First go, no clutch banner needed. Much easier than 40 when you can use the water fields fully.

Oh crap, RAID 0 SSDs actually make a difference? How many seconds do you shave off when loading into LA?

Edit: Thorgal, saw your question in the PC thread. If you have a 3770K, then nothing newer will show any real additional FPS gains. You just have to overclock it. A 3770K should be able to hit 4.5 or greater, and Haswells run even hotter and generally have lower overclocks. I haven't seen any convincing evidence that a Haswell 4.5 runs GW2 better than Ivy 4.5, for example. A quality heatsink is equivalent to new processor+motherboard, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, my 4770k runs at 4.4 because anything above tends to overheat even with a good heatsink.

Ashodin

Yes, I am at the moment. But I've mainly been using a scepter and pistol.

Greatsword clones when you summon them if nearby an enemy do 0 damage because they are mimicking your greatsword - the closer they are, the less damage they do (down to 0). That's why you see those low numbers.

Minamu

Greatsword clones when you summon them if nearby an enemy do 0 damage because they are mimicking your greatsword - the closer they are, the less damage they do (down to 0). That's why you see those low numbers.
I see. But they rarely do significant damage at any distance from what I've seen, no matter what weapons I use. But that's probably due to the clones being cannon fodder.

nataku

Clones were nerfed long ago (beta?) to do next to no damage. You'll never see a clone (the ones that look exactly like you) do anything significant in terms of damage. 0 damage is pretty common. The phantasms (purple hazy guys) are were the damage is at.

Besides, you can't really control the distance at which your GS clone spawns. It comes off the mirror blade skill, which bounces 3 times and spawns a clone on the first target, right next to it usually.

Like you said, it's just cannon fodder.

EDIT: Testing right now my GS clone does 5 damage per hit, and crits for 10.

Clones are magic missiles. You equip yourself some Sigils of Energy on your weapons and you'll never not have clones to launch at the enemy.

Thorgal

Problem is that my 3770 is not overklockable so i am stuck at 3.4.
That's why i decided to ask if i would get any gains with a better CPU and if thats the case i might as well wait until Haswell e is out because just switching it with a 3770k version doesn't seem worth it .

+ it will be Overklockable and better then my current cpu so it is wins all around .

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That's why i decided to ask if i would get any gains with a better CPU and if thats the case i might as well wait until Haswell e is out because just switching it with a 3770k version doesn't seem worth it .

+ it will be Overklockable and better then my current cpu so it is wins all around .

It'd be better to go for a 4790k if you wanted to upgrade. It's roughly the same price as a 3770k. That would give you significant gains since you would be able to overclock it to around 4.5ghz pretty easily.

BraXzy

So yeah, I got sang to -.-

Also, I just went to uninstall GW2 and I noticed that every screenshot I've taken has also saved in the GW2 main folder as 8MB BMP images. The only real difference I can tell between the 500kb ones I've been using from the folder in My Documents is a slight boost to the colours.

Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure you can't play after uninstalling the game.

Jokes aside, I took a lot of screenshots during my Arah run today. It was pretty fun, even though I didn't like how
Zaithan got killed. I couldn't even see it clearly because of the huge cannon in front of my face

Ashodin

So yeah, I got sang to -.-

Also, I just went to uninstall GW2 and I noticed that every screenshot I've taken has also saved in the GW2 main folder as 8MB BMP images. The only real difference I can tell between the 500kb ones I've been using from the folder in My Documents is a slight boost to the colours.

was it a birthday joke? JK you're reinstalling onto an SSD right? Why uninstall? I just moved my install.

It'd be better to go for a 4790k if you wanted to upgrade. It's roughly the same price as a 3770k. That would give you significant gains since you would be able to overclock it to around 4.5ghz pretty easily.
Ah, my mistake. I thought you had the K version. Yea, in that case you'll definitely notice an improvement with a newer CPU that's been overclocked. But I would recommend getting the i5-4690K over the i7-4790K if gaming is the major reason why you want to upgrade. Hyperthreading from the i7 has never been shown to help with GW2 frametimes. Anandtech recently put out a review of the new Devil Canyons and there's no difference in any game. Instead use the 100 USD you save with going i5 and purchase a nice heatsink and a precursor.

The -E CPUs are more expensive with higher average motherboard costs. Only worth it if you're going for a triple GPU setup, IMO. Which I doubt you're going for because otherwise you wouldn't be asking in the first place.

BraXzy

Why are you uninstalling GW2?

That seems like a bad decision.

Haha, don't worry guys, you can't get rid of me that easily. What would you all do without me anyway?

was it a birthday joke? JK you're reinstalling onto an SSD right? Why uninstall? I just moved my install.

I am indeed getting it on my SSD. I didn't realise you could just move it. I'd have done a fresh install anyway though, hopefully loading times speed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom