• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

No one is going to beat 1 full BL claim ticket and 8 scraps from 15 keys :p

It was on my birthday though so I put it down to the birthday gods or something.

I recall Callunah getting 2 tickets some time after guild missions... or maybe during. I don't know how many keys that entailed though.

Thorgal

I think i just came across my armor setup for my charr.

gw22014-07-1312-52-265nji0.png

gw22014-07-1313-07-44hbsx0.png

gw22014-07-1313-07-58wls13.png

Conqueror Mantle .
Grasping death breastplate.
zodiac Heavy gauntlets.
Primeval legplates .
Zodiac heavy warboots .

Dyes are a mix of Midnight fire and midnight purple.

Not chosen a helmet yet.

Callunah

Neo Member
No one is going to beat 1 full BL claim ticket and 8 scraps from 15 keys :p

It was on my birthday though so I put it down to the birthday gods or something.

Katoki was right... I used 15 keys and got Two full BL claim tickets, plus 3 scraps, 2 Terrace passes, a Mini Mai Trin and 8 unidentified dies....

Guess it was my lucky night for a change. =)

Oh.. and IF.. and thats a big *IF*... i log in for the Dry Top event... I'll be on your team too!

Callunah

Neo Member
I think i just came across my armor setup for my charr.

Conqueror Mantle .
Grasping death breastplate.
zodiac Heavy gauntlets.
Primeval legplates .
Zodiac heavy warboots .

Dyes are a mix of Midnight fire and midnight purple.

Not chosen a helmet yet.

Sweet look for a char...and we all know just how much I hate Char. lol

It's more common than you think. As a friend said "if I'm going to be looking at an ass for a thousand hours, let it at least be an ass I'd want to look at".

Basically this. I've got seven characters, all female. Never underestimate the power of eye candy.

Not to mention, I think the female voice acting for many of the races is better then the male.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I won't be around for makeups today, but I'll be back for the Dry Top race tonight.

Jira

I'm not going to link to it, but someone made a 3rd party program that essentially puts stuff like world boss timers, gathering nodes, dulfy, a checklist system for materials, etc all into one overlay program. Needless to say I don't like it. May as well not even play the game at that point.

I'm not going to link to it, but someone made a 3rd party program that essentially puts stuff like world boss timers, gathering nodes, dulfy, a checklist system for materials, etc all into one overlay program. Needless to say I don't like it. May as well not even play the game at that point.

All it does is put a half-transparent browser window with direct links to http://gw2timer.com/ over your game, no different than if you play windowed mode with the game snapped to the right and the timer to the left.

It doesn't play the game for you, it does nothing that a /wiki command doesn't already basically do (the wiki even has boss timers).

I think you may be overthinking the overlay. This is no different than having the wiki and timer sites open in the Steam overlay or xfire, or overwolf or whatever. Besides, if someone is going to run the World Boss train non stop for several hours, they were going to do it anyway, overlay or not. The one you're talking about isn't even the first overlay to do this, there have been several. Same for nodes and dungeon run checklists.

And let's face it, the boss timers *should* already be in the game in some form, be it an in-game calendar like WoW has, or whatever. The moment they officiated the schedule of bosses, it became a part of the game to know when they spawn, so there should have been an in-game schedule added.

TLDR; I don't use the overlay, but I do use the site it uses (http://gw2timer.com/) on occasion, when I want to know which world boss spawns next, instead of asking in map chat, because the resource exists to me, why not use it. I'd guess that over half of the regular GAF players also use timer sites in some form or another, and have been for a looong time, so it's a bit weird to see issue with it all of a sudden.

If GW2 had a built-in calendar, boss schedule, notepad and let me scribble notes on the world map, I'd have no reason to go to a third party site to make up for ArenaNet's lack.

eh.. Gathering Nodes and Dulfy are a bit much.

But people have been using those sites since launch... just, alt-tabbing, or running them in other overlays. Nothing has technically changed.

I do agree with the spirit of your distaste of them. They remove the wonder, the exploration, and the 'figuring it out for yourself'. But, let's face it - not everyone wants to figure stuff out for themselves. They'd rather just buy a strategy guide (there is a GW2 one at GameStop, didja know), or look it up online.

Different strokes.

But people have been using those sites since launch... just, alt-tabbing, or running them in other overlays. Nothing has technically changed.

I do agree with the spirit of your distaste of them. They remove the wonder, the exploration, and the 'figuring it out for yourself'. But, let's face it - not everyone wants to figure stuff out for themselves. They'd rather just buy a strategy guide (there is a GW2 one at GameStop, didja know), or look it up online.

Different strokes.

The problem is that when people create these types of resources, they very quickly become seen as mandatory. Yes people already use websites that show nodes or they use dulfy or whatever else, but making it even easier only makes it more likely to become considered the defacto way to play.

Retro

I won't say I've made peace with the idea that some people would rather follow a series of explicit instructions that tell them where to go, what to do, and how long it should take to most efficiently suck all the fun and wonder out of a game, because when I hear about things like this I can still feel that warm, dull ache of annoyance growing at my temples.

However, I have accepted the reality that for some individuals that is fun, to mindlessly connect dots, watching bars fill and numbers grow until the game chimes and gives them a reward. As long as the game isn't changed to embrace the lowest common denominator, it's not really hurting me or my experience (even though I believe those players are the most likely to be both toxic to the community and the loudest, most persistent voice among them). At least beyond giving me headaches.

So while I find it distasteful, on the approximate level as reading the Wikipedia article or Cliffnotes for a book and considering that the same as reading the actual novel, I know that some people just don't have the capacity to appreciate a well-crafted object, be it a film, painting, book, song or, yes, even a game. After years of having a window into the mentality of folks like that courtesy of various comments sections, message boards and official forums, all I have left in response is pity. I've no other emotion I'm willing to spend on those kind of people, they're simply not worth anything else.

The problem is that when people create these types of resources, they very quickly become seen as mandatory. Yes people already use websites that show nodes or they use dulfy or whatever else, but making it even easier only makes it more likely to become considered the defacto way to play.

Not unlike watching YouTubes of fractal boss fights to learn the mechanics. While I do agree there is the problem of "slippery slope" here, at least they're not addons like DPS meters and shit.

But, it's a bit too late to shake fist at cloud here.

Lunar15

Or someone's just trying to grind for one specific thing and wants to do it as quick as possible so they can get back to doing the other stuff they enjoy.

We've all done that.

Retro

Not unlike watching YouTubes of fractal boss fights to learn the mechanics. While I do agree there is the problem of "slippery slope" here, at least they're not addons like DPS meters and shit.

I like to think that before something like Deadly Boss Mod or Gearscore could infect Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet would take action to stop their use. There'd surely be outrage on the official forums, but considering what both of those addons did to WoW, the continued health of the game demands it.

Or someone's just trying to grind for one specific thing and wants to do it as quick as possible so they can get back to doing the other stuff they enjoy.

We've all done that.

The problem is, this isn't just 'one specific thing'. This is lots of things, in one place. If you were just looking for some ore or something to finish crafting, then sure, we might go dig up a map or something (personally, I'd just go to a zone where I know it's likely to be and look).

But this is built for farmers, make no mistake. There is going 'back to do the other stuff they enjoy', this is for the people who simply want to grind resources, bosses, achievements and events.

Ooh my game just downloaded a small update. Living World Season 8?!

Nah;

• Fixed an issue with the Living World Story Journal. (source)

Katoki

The problem is, this isn't just 'one specific thing'. This is lots of things, in one place. If you were just looking for some ore or something to finish crafting, then sure, we might go dig up a map or something (personally, I'd just go to a zone where I know it's likely to be and look).
Just because it's there doesn't mean everyone will use every bit of it. If it's what keeps them going then so be it. We all place different values on our time spent doing anything at all in the time we're awake during the day.

Having something like the rich nodes mapped out for you is a better use of time than looking for them. For example, I burn through iron really fast because it's used for both iron and steel ingots that it's not a very good use of time looking around for them. It's nice to have rich nodes mapped so that running between them allows the opportunity to hit the regular nodes. Using your explanation, you'd look for a rich node whereas I'm done with it and everything I saw in-between so I'm off poking around actual content without a guide.

Besides, I'm too lazy to get overlays to work right since I've had a bad time doing it before so I'll just look stuff up and memorize it based on convenience.

TrounceX

So while I find it distasteful, on the approximate level as reading the Wikipedia article or Cliffnotes for a book and considering that the same as reading the actual novel, I know that some people just don't have the capacity to appreciate a well-crafted object, be it a film, painting, book, song or, yes, even a game. After years of having a window into the mentality of folks like that courtesy of various comments sections, message boards and official forums, all I have left in response is pity. I've no other emotion I'm willing to spend on those kind of people, they're simply not worth anything else.

What the...?

Way over the top dude.

Retro

Having something like the rich nodes mapped out for you is a better use of time than looking for them. For example, I burn through iron really fast because it's used for both iron and steel ingots that it's not a very good use of time looking around for them. It's nice to have rich nodes mapped so that running between them allows the opportunity to hit the regular nodes. Using your explanation, you'd look for a rich node whereas I'm done with it and everything I saw in-between so I'm off poking around actual content without a guide.

My explanation was kind of quick, I guess it would have been better to say that I'd purposely play in an area where the nodes I am looking for are likely to be. If I am worried about time, I would likely just buy them straight from the Trading Post. I feel like just bouncing around a zone using a map would be kind of boring, but like I said, for some people that's just what they want to do.

What the...?

Way over the top dude.

In what way? Reading a quick synopsis of a book or movie simply isn't the same as reading the book or watching the movie in full. You may know the bullet points of the plot or have the message / meaning spelled out, but you'd be missing huge chunks of what makes those things important. Not to mention that just sitting and reading a book or watching a film for the sake of doing that activity is an experience itself.

To me, the point of playing a game is to play it as intended. In my opinion, folks who use a guide or walkthru would be better served just watching a Let's Play on Youtube; you're not actually playing the game so much as following someone else's instructions, so why not just take the next logical step and just watch someone else play? It's not like they're figuring things out or overcoming challenges on their own with everything spelled out for them.

In my opinion, experiencing a game means the physical act of playing it as intended. Just as reading a story means reading the words, watching a movie means seeing all of the scenes, etc. And I don't think I'm wrong to I feel very sorry for folks who can't be bothered to appreciate the value of a game well-played.

Edit: I think maybe you're reading my last line as being "those people are worthless." What I mean is that to me, they're not worth any other emotional response, like getting angry or upset. Sorry if that was unclear, we were starting Make-up Missions and I wanted to wrap it up.

Reminder

Season 2 Event #2 - Dusty Dry Top Dash - Sunday 7/13 at 9:00PM EDT

Dry Top is a unique situation compared to previous zones; it has crystals that allow for multiple paths through the zone, allowing interesting and creative ways to explore its myriad of areas! What I propose is a race between five teams (or less) of players.

• We'll group up, and then start from Dry Top Waypoint, progress through the area to the Jumping Puzzle, where the first part of the race will end.
  • Then, the second part will start, dropping down the Jumping Puzzle without dying. If you can make it down the Jumping Puzzle without dying, your team is still in the race! All those who die must stay out of the race. I'm calling this part "The ELIMINATOR".
  • The next part of the race will be from the Jumping Puzzle to Prosperity Saloon - be careful of quicksand!
  • Finally, the last leg of the race will be to Sparring Rock, where Nochtli usually battles. The first member of any team there wins!
  • The prize will be the prize pool (from the guild bank) split between eligible team members. Any weird fractions will be rounded up to an even amount each.
  • Guildies that wish a chance to win the prize pool need only donate 1g (up to 5g) to the Guild Bank and race along with the guildies! Only players who have donated will be split the earnings if their team wins.
  • Guildies that just want to race without a chance at winning can do so, and still earn money for their team if they win!
  • Officers that can attend, please do so and if possible, donate money to the winnings (1 to 5g) in the Treasure Trove.
  • Instructions will be in Mumble and guild chat on the day of the race. It's a friendly match!
  • Please do not feel pressured to attend if you do not enjoy Dry Top or Racing in general.
  • Cheating will be not tolerated - using waypoints to hop around is NOT legal and we will have officers stationed at the waypoints to spot any GAFers that waypoint there during the race. Donations will be before the race is held so we know who exactly is eligible (or to be disqualified mwa ha ha).

Awww yeahh and if you win, your team will be

DRY TOP MASTER

TrounceX

Edit: I think maybe you're reading my last line as being "People who use guides are worthless", when I actually meant that to me, they're not worth getting angry or upset about. Sorry if that was unclear, we were starting Make-up Missions and I wanted to wrap it up

Mk that basically clears it up, but I also don't really care for the suggestion that those who use guides are somehow lacking in capacity to appreciate good design. For instance, as you know, I don't care for the PvE content in GW2, but I do like the easy gold and achievement rewards (have to fund the server transferring habit somehow), so I will occasionally use a Dulfy guide to blast through it. The faster I can get back to WvW and my guild, the better. Doesn't mean I don't (or somehow can't) appreciate it. I just don't like it.

My point is there are many reasons one would choose to use this particular overlay. You knew all this though, you're not stupid.

But, it's a bit too late to shake fist at cloud here.

It's never too late to shake fists at clouds!

Moondrop

Banned
Once API data was made accessible by the public, those using it to the fullest had an advantage over those not.

Let's take the example of the program that keeps track of the timers for Righteous Indignation buffs on WvW camps. You cannot ever hope to out-PPT another team that has access to this information if you abstain. I don't like that this outside app is essentially required, but I will not place the blame on players, who did not make the decision to release the information publicly.

I think half the issues could be solved if they just used their own API data in-game more. In WvW, you could walk up to a Scout Master who would then tell you the RI buff timers they can see.

In PvE, the Scouts that tell you about a zone (by revealing the map and circling hearts) should ALSO be able to tell you about nearby events happening right now.

And so on, like with the World Boss timers, etc.

All the stuff the API reveals could be nicely integrated into the game in a lore-friendly way, which would a) make it more congruent with the experience and b) prevent the need to use external sites that not everyone knows about, etc.

BraXzy

I love PUG dungeon runs soooooooo much. Just did TA and they decided to do forward which I wasn't a fan of since the people who knew the path weren't doing any better than I was. Then we wiped and the instancer starter left. Yay!

Gotta love theorycrafters.

"25 stacks vul is super important."

Different thread.

"There is zero reason to ever have an Engineer in your party since every other class does everything else better."

Same person, another thread.

"The only class that can maintain 25 stacks vul on a target is Engineer."

Their conclusion?

"Maximize the DPS output of every other class, while aiming for optimal vul stacks but never expecting it."

Just never bring an Engineer, huh? :p

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I love PUG dungeon runs soooooooo much. Just did TA and they decided to do forward which I wasn't a fan of since the people who knew the path weren't doing any better than I was. Then we wiped and the instancer starter left. Yay!

Dota 3: Adventures in Tyria

Remfin

Once API data was made accessible by the public, those using it to the fullest had an advantage over those not.

Let's take the example of the program that keeps track of the timers for Righteous Indignation buffs on WvW camps. You cannot ever hope to out-PPT another team that has access to this information if you abstain. I don't like that this outside app is essentially required, but I will not place the blame on players, who did not make the decision to release the information publicly.
This has nothing to do with the API...the players already knew this stuff. It opened up this information to the masses.

Ashodin

Season 2 Event #2 - Dusty Dry Top Dash - Sunday 7/13 at 9:00PM EDT

Dry Top is a unique situation compared to previous zones; it has crystals that allow for multiple paths through the zone, allowing interesting and creative ways to explore its myriad of areas! What I propose is a race between five teams (or less) of players.

• We'll group up, and then start from Dry Top Waypoint, progress through the area to the Jumping Puzzle, where the first part of the race will end.
  • Then, the second part will start, dropping down the Jumping Puzzle without dying. If you can make it down the Jumping Puzzle without dying, your team is still in the race! All those who die must stay out of the race. I'm calling this part "The ELIMINATOR".
  • The next part of the race will be from the Jumping Puzzle to Prosperity Saloon - be careful of quicksand!
  • Finally, the last leg of the race will be to Sparring Rock, where Nochtli usually battles. The first member of any team there wins!
  • The prize will be the prize pool (from the guild bank) split between eligible team members. Any weird fractions will be rounded up to an even amount each.
  • Guildies that wish a chance to win the prize pool need only donate 1g (up to 5g) to the Guild Bank and race along with the guildies! Only players who have donated will be split the earnings if their team wins.
  • Guildies that just want to race without a chance at winning can do so, and still earn money for their team if they win!
  • Officers that can attend, please do so and if possible, donate money to the winnings (1 to 5g) in the Treasure Trove.
  • Instructions will be in Mumble and guild chat on the day of the race. It's a friendly match!
  • Please do not feel pressured to attend if you do not enjoy Dry Top or Racing in general.
  • Cheating will be not tolerated - using waypoints to hop around is NOT legal and we will have officers stationed at the waypoints to spot any GAFers that waypoint there during the race. Donations will be before the race is held so we know who exactly is eligible (or to be disqualified mwa ha ha).

Awww yeahh and if you win, your team will be

DRY TOP MASTER

Less than 40 minutes!

AMD may have the best bang for your buck, but their drivers for GFX suck, been BSOD a lot lately and it's related to ATI.drivers if i am not gaming my PC runs great, the second i game..... BSOD, when i build a new rig i am done with AMD fuck off...

PS:I have done all the test in the world memory is fine, HDD is fine, everything is fine, I game and BSoD...

Gotta love theorycrafters.

"25 stacks vul is super important."

Different thread.

"There is zero reason to ever have an Engineer in your party since every other class does everything else better."

Same person, another thread.

"The only class that can maintain 25 stacks vul on a target is Engineer."

Their conclusion?

"Maximize the DPS output of every other class, while aiming for optimal vul stacks but never expecting it."

Just never bring an Engineer, huh? :p

They've recently gone through a paradigm shift regarding engineers. After acquiring more familiarity with the profession, they saw how great it was.

Can't quite see how being able to admit you were wrong and adapt is a bad thing, really.

For a very solid example of this, look in the engineer class forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom