• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

Loving this update so far. Fi fi fo fum.

0kbpsWU.jpg

I have a new friend.

2gDAM7M.jpg

Thorgal

This second chapter has been very enjoyable this time, now to explore that new zone !

No super sayan haircut, but cool anyway :cool:

So serious :p

Anyway just finished this chapter and all i have to say is wow .

Hawk is gonna go Bananas when he sees IT .

jersoc

oh wow, there's a pony tail finally. are make over kits retro active? pretty sure I got one from an achievement or something months ago.

Retro

oh wow, there's a pony tail finally. are make over kits retro active? pretty sure I got one from an achievement or something months ago.

Yeah, it's just a single item that gives you access to all available options. It'll include the new ones no matter what.

Retro

I love how the BL skins are way better than the ones you can craft. Might buy some keys...

Complete opposite for me. Maybe it's just that I have very specific tastes for each character, but I really don't care for the rock-with-energy look of the Leyline skins. The Amber ones aren't exactly my cup of tea either, but I really like the sword, at least.

Katoki

Hahaha. Bad habit of tapping spoiler bars so I spoiled it for myself... oh well. Entitled people be entitled people though. Besides, I figure at this point the data mined katana was more as a resource than a skin for players. This is what I'm hoping for just to be an ass.

Y'know, it's sad.

I played through the first chapter last sunday, despising most of the storytelling in it, but hey, i'm a grumpy dick, so whatevs. got to scarlett's swag shack, looked around, finished the chapter, and mentioned "well, it was bad, but at least there wasn't a freaking secret passage behind the shelf"

So i opened chapter 2, "discover the secret room in scarlett's humble abode", and instantly went "fuck.".

mpKZg.png

This is all solely related to story, tho. Nothing to do with the rest of the content, which is mostly pretty decent.

Y'know, it's sad.

You're just going to have to face facts: this story isn't for you. It's not to your taste, you're not interested in it, you're not invested in it, you don't care about any of it.

Usually when that happens when someone watches a TV show, they simply stop watching it.

But, true, GW2 is a different beast and since LW is so integrated into the day to day experience in the game, "just not doing the LW" isn't a totally realistic option.

But on the flip side, you're also disliking it so much, it's getting to the point where before you even start, you're looking for the faults. Wilson's Law: The hostile critic will always find fault.

EDIT: I'm finally home, and GW2 is patching. I'm hype.

You're just going to have to face facts: this story isn't for you. It's not to your taste, you're not interested in it, you're not invested in it, you don't care about any of it.

Usually when that happens when someone watches a TV show, they simply stop watching it.

But, true, GW2 is a different beast and since LW is so integrated into the day to day experience in the game, "just not doing the LW" isn't a totally realistic option.

But on the flip side, you're also disliking it so much, it's getting to the point where before you even start, you're looking for the faults. Wilson's Law: The hostile critic will always find fault.

EDIT: I'm finally home, and GW2 is patching. I'm hype.

Wilson's law does not apply when the story is so trope filled that you can guess what will happen before it happens.

Or, paraphrashing Ebert's rebuttal, "mr. Schneider, you movie is shit".

But yes, you are correct, it is not for me. Ill have to come to terms with the fact that, despite the occasional moment of lovingly crafted brilliance, this is an 80s saturday morning cartoon. Ill try to keep the bitching down.

Zeroth

Wilson's law does not apply when the story is so trope filled that you can guess what will happen before it happens.

Or, paraphrashing Ebert's rebuttal, "mr. Schneider, you movie is shit".

But yes, you are correct, it is not for me. Ill have to come to terms with the fact that, despite the occasional moment of lovingly crafted brilliance, this is an 80s saturday morning cartoon. Ill try to keep the bitching down.

Now you know why it is limited to lv 80s.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm at the Denver airport and I have contracted HYPE
So serious :p

Anyway just finished this chapter and all i have to say is wow .

Hawk is gonna go Bananas when he sees IT .
WHATWHAT IS IT
ugh
Ah I just spoilt myself. Oh well no more spoiler clicking until I play the episode.
dammit me too. I have no idea why I clicked that.

it's worth mentioning at least though, the fact that I even care at all about being spoiled, or about what happened to who in that spoiler, is something of an accomplishment for an mmo alone.

Jira

WHATWHAT IS IT
ugh

it's worth mentioning at least though, the fact that I even care at all about being spoiled, or about what happened to who in that spoiler, is something of an accomplishment for an mmo alone.

You're going to flip your shit over this update. Specifically the ending cutscene. I want one week updates right now so I don't have to wait two weeks.

this is an 80s saturday morning cartoon.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

80s cartoons are some of the best things to have happened to this planet, so don't talk smack about my Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Dinosaucers, BraveStarr, Captain N, Dungeons & Dragons, Jem, Gummi Bears, Mysterious Cities of Gold, or Teddy Ruxpin.

Half of those have better writing than the drek people give Emmys to on TV these days.

Different strokes, and all that. Anet simply cannot please every single person that plays the game, with the style of story they're going for. Not possible, not gonna happen, was never gonna happen.

But don't use '80s cartoon writing' as an insult, because that's just insulting things a lot of us care about just because you personally feel jilted the GW2 LW writing isn't to your exacting tastes.

WHATWHAT IS IT
ugh

Did you get to see the national animal, more commonly as the Canadian beaver?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did you get to see the national animal, more commonly as the Canadian beaver?
"I wonder how long after I get home it will take for an off-color comment from kos"

negative 4 hours 15 minutes

enjoy the goodies, see you all when I'm back to base!

Different strokes, and all that. Anet simply cannot please every single person that plays the game, with the style of story they're going for. Not possible, not gonna happen, was never gonna happen.

One minute after an excellently crafted bit where taimi detailled Omadd's (gods that name) relationship with Briar, and then exposed a very well done far less pleasant side of the asura in general (which venthus told me had been retconned in regards to another race, but w/e), a hole behind a fucking shelf.

Stop the strawmen, miktar.

Marow

Absolutely LOVED this update. If there is anything I would improve on, it's making the story flow a bit better. Still feel a bit fragmented, as there's no natural flow to what you're doing (unlike personal story).

Still. Loving this new zone and the progression. This is what I imagined the living story to be like in the first place <3

BraXzy

Hawk get home already!
How was the trip? :)

I'm thinking of making an Asura.. which profession should I go for?

I have a Norn Thief and a Charr Warrior so far.

Stop the strawmen, miktar.

You first. So there was a passage behind a bookshelf. My god. Everything ruined. All decent writing, invalidated, by one well-worn but pretty harmless trope.

Seriously?

What I don't get, is it's not like there isn't a precedent for this already. Guild Wars 1 was full to the BRIM with this kind of stuff, it's plot and writing was every bit as cartoony, just a hell of a lot more verbose, like a LOTR fan-fiction trying too hard. So I don't get where the expectation comes from that suddenly ArenaNet is to produce the next Great Works.

Hidden passage behind a bookshelf, put there by a young Scarlet, which is pretty in line with her personality.

Everything ruined.

Pack it up, cancel the subs. BAD WRITING has appeared.

EDIT: Okay, I'm sounding more snarky than I want to be, because my internet is giving me shit and I can't log in to GW2 to play the new [TERRIBLY WRITTEN] content. So just ignore me, and continue not liking the things you don't like, I'm not going to convince you otherwise. Not sure why I'm even engaging. I never learn.

Jira

S2 out already?

I'll play some tomorrow.

Been out since 7/1. You missed the chance to get episode 1 for free so you'll have to pay $2 for it to see the story stuff if you want (which I'd recommend cause if you go right into episode 2, you'll be confused).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Been out since 7/1. You missed the chance to get episode 1 for free so you'll have to pay for it to see the story stuff if you want (which I'd recommend cause if you go right into episode 2, you'll be confused).

Oh I've logged on since the 1st, so will I already have it?s

Retro

Hahaha. Bad habit of tapping spoiler bars so I spoiled it for myself... oh well. Entitled people be entitled people though. Besides, I figure at this point the data mined katana was more as a resource than a skin for players. This is what I'm hoping for just to be an ass.

It's in the wardrobe, pretty sure that means it will be obtainable at some point.

So if I want the ambrite warhorn, what do I need to do to make/buy it?

Pretty sure you'll need to buy the crafting recipe from the Zephyrite vendor and then find the fossilized amber, which you turn in for the exact type of bug-themed amber at a vendor. Not sure how you get the unidentified amber yet.

Hawk get home already!
How was the trip? :)

I'm thinking of making an Asura.. which profession should I go for?

I have a Norn Thief and a Charr Warrior so far.

Engineer. They're the bestest. Guardian might be too similar to Warrior to hit next. My other Asura is a Mesmer, so... maybe that?

Oh I've logged on since the 1st, so will I already have it?s

If you logged in between the 1st and the 14th, you should have Episode One unlocked for free. If not, it's a measly two bucks to get it later.

Shiokazu

can you dodge the fear attack from the giant? i think i did once but im not so sure.

we also got sokka from avatar on human hairstyle.

Bonus Pic: Spot the odd one out!
I love that Anet replaced all those miniature adult dolyaks with the new calf models. This wasn't the case when that new mini first came out. It's the little things. The stupid-looking small adult dolyaks always stuck out in my mind when I first completed that heart.

Retro

That feeling when you do all the story instances with the Game Director and realize you were paying more attention to the conversation than the story and it all just sort of whipped by. #FirstTyriaProblems
Totally a stealth brag, deal with it.

can you dodge the fear attack from the giant? i think i did once but im not so sure..

Might have been something else. Don't think you can dodge Fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom