• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Anet gets around to adding new pets, one should have AoE swiftness as an F2 skill.

I actually think they should expand upon the wolf summon that happens when 3 (?) rangers use Horn 5 near each other, and have that wolf stay longer and continually group-swift.

I'd actually like to see more same-profession group interplay, like if two Engineers drop two rocket turrets near each other, they link up and focus fire, etc.

Moondrop

Banned
I actually think they should expand upon the wolf summon that happens when 3 (?) rangers use Horn 5 near each other, and have that wolf stay longer and continually group-swift.
It's not a summon, it's just a 2D image that pops up. However the hyena pet does have a mechanic akin to what you are describing.

It's not a summon, it's just a 2D image that pops up. However the hyena pet does have a mechanic akin to what you are describing.

I'm talking about the Lunar Wolf summon, not the "wolf howling at moon" image.

Lunar_Wolf.jpg

A Lunar Wolf is a special summoned creature that can be summoned by three or more rangers using Call of the Wild simultaneously. It inherits the guild tag of and follows the character that uses the skill last. The summoned animal will last for 15 seconds unless healed, since it loses health rapidly. As it decays, it will spread dense mist around itself

- This animal will not fight.
- Although only one wolf can be attached to each ranger, they can individually summon their own, i.e. three rangers can create three wolves.
- The animal's name will display in blue, as if they were a party member, rather than in green, as normal pets do.
- Has an internal cooldown of 90 seconds.

Not many people seem to know about this.

Moondrop

Banned
Not many people seem to know about this.
Right, my bad, I'd forgotten about that.

Regarding your actual proposal, hell yes, I'd take an entire combo system where every profession could do a specific combo with every other profession. There'd be singular combos requiring one of each profession (that's 29 new things to program), and then multi-combos that require 5 of each class. The singular combos would be the meat and potatoes but the multi-combos would be for flavor, like racial skills.

Me want! Perhaps this would be one way to make Elites more interesting - make one Elite from each profession (the one people rarely use), have a combo wombo with another profession's Elite, same profession or different. Then perhaps people would swap out elites more, instead of just using Supply Drop 100% of the time if they're an Engineer.

Moondrop

Banned
I wasn't being sarcastic; I think it would be a brilliant way to fix elites by giving everyone 1 new Cross-Profession Elite. I just meant let's not pat ourselves on the back; coming up with the idea is just the beginning.

Mxrz

I don't think I've ever won this many solo/roaming fights in WvW. GoM is funny. Who did they replace in silver?

Last night's guild missions ending in discussing ridiculous products on amazon was pretty great.

Relevant.

I think loomp or ash was talking about acquiring such a device at some point, anyway. I remember a discussion about water, at least.

Also roxie spilling vodka in her keyboard. And mentioning that she'd go a minute without talking. And failing to do so. And promissing again that she'd try to go a minute without talking. And failing again. Totes Groundhog.

Retro

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Greetings Guild Wars 2 community thread, how are you today? I'm a very new player to the game, having bought it when it was on sale, and so far I really love the game! I feel like it's perfect for me, even just trying to explore the environments and being able to get rewards just doing that. I only just recently discovered Lion's Arch and the ability to quickly go to other towns and starting zones, so I'm taking my time doing things in the world. I'm trying to avoid rushing anything, haha.

After finding this topic and seeing that there's a way to use a controller to play the game, I feel like I might try it out, so I was curious, how many people here find it more comfortable using a controller versus mouse and keyboard? Also, would it matter more depending on PVE or PVP play? I haven't even tried the PVP yet, as I usually don't in any MMO, but I would love to make sure that I can be comfortable even while playing PVE. Thanks in advance!

Levyne

Banned
Greetings Guild Wars 2 community thread, how are you today? I'm a very new player to the game, having bought it when it was on sale, and so far I really love the game! I feel like it's perfect for me, even just trying to explore the environments and being able to get rewards just doing that. I only just recently discovered Lion's Arch and the ability to quickly go to other towns and starting zones, so I'm taking my time doing things in the world. I'm trying to avoid rushing anything, haha.

After finding this topic and seeing that there's a way to use a controller to play the game, I feel like I might try it out, so I was curious, how many people here find it more comfortable using a controller versus mouse and keyboard? Also, would it matter more depending on PVE or PVP play? I haven't even tried the PVP yet, as I usually don't in any MMO, but I would love to make sure that I can be comfortable even while playing PVE. Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

I don't use a controller, but the heathens will suggest there's no other way to play :p. We even have a controller user in the guild who does a lot of pvp too. The people who set the whole thing up can go in more detail.

Were you able to find a guild? If not, we have one if you'd like to join.

Thorgal

Seeing as my entire childhood was playing games with a controller, being able to use one for this game is a godsend . I REALLY suck at playing games with a keyboard and believe me i tried .

Also it does not give you an advantage over people who use a keyboard either in PVE. or PVP.

Also if you want an invite to the guild just post your "Name .##### and one of the guild leaders will sent you an invite .

Welcome!

I don't use a controller, but the heathens will suggest there's no other way to play :p. We even have a controller user in the guild who does a lot of pvp too. The people who set the whole thing up can go in more detail.

Were you able to find a guild? If not, we have one if you'd like to join.

Seeing as my entire childhood was playing games with a controller, being able to use one for this game is a godsend . I REALLY suck at playing games with a keyboard and believe me i tried .

Also it does not give you an advantage over people who use a keyboard either in PVE. or PVP.

Also if you want an invite to the guild just post your "Name .##### and one of the guild leaders will sent you an invite .
Thanks for the replies! I have always been used to playing MMOs with mouse and keyboard, so I wanted to try out controller with a game like this, where it seems evasion and movement really does make a difference. Also, I haven't really considered joining a guild, since I wouldn't want to make a huge commitment to being there for everyone, lest I be kicked out anyways due to inactivity. (without going into too much detail, I had less than stellar experiences with guilds in multiplayer games) I could always consider it, though, if I get myself more familiar with the game, but I'd rather not take up a slot that could be better used by someone who can show up.

Complistic

Our guild's only requirement is that you aren't more of an ass than Kos is. As far as activity is concerned, if you login once every few months thats enough to keep you from getting kicked out. And if you ever do get kicked out for inactivity, then you can just ask to rejoin.

Oh, you can also belong to multiple guilds and switch between them with a press of a button.

So, join us. This game is 1000x better with a guild.

giphy.gif

hythloday

Thanks for the replies! I have always been used to playing MMOs with mouse and keyboard, so I wanted to try out controller with a game like this, where it seems evasion and movement really does make a difference. Also, I haven't really considered joining a guild, since I wouldn't want to make a huge commitment to being there for everyone, lest I be kicked out anyways due to inactivity. (without going into too much detail, I had less than stellar experiences with guilds in multiplayer games) I could always consider it, though, if I get myself more familiar with the game, but I'd rather not take up a slot that could be better used by someone who can show up.

Don't let that concern you, but the GAFguild is there when and if you want to join!

We don't have any playtime requirements or mandatory events, and we love new players. While we do occasionally clear inactive folks out of the guild, that's only done when we're getting close to the membership cap and it's needed to make room. If that were to happen, getting a re-invite is as easy as just asking for one when you resume playing again.

Thorgal

There is no commitment to joining the guild .

You don't have to be there for us , you are there for your own fun ,

And The only way you can get kicked out of the guild ( apart from being a dick ) is if you are inactive for a long period of time ( think months ) and even thats only when the guild member limit is reached and we need more space for new members .

However if after a period of time away from the game you want to jump back in you can just ask and you are right back .

Also once you are in the Guild ,Braxzy or anyone else from the guild including me will be more than happy tho show you the ropes on how this game works .

Edit : i Type way to slowly . :p

BraXzy

Don't worry about commitments or anything. No one expects you to be logged every day, or join in on every activity. It's just nice to have a group of people that you can run with on something as a group if you're up for it. GAFguild certainly enhances the experience
thanks to me ;)

Also once you are in the Guild ,Braxzy or anyone else from the guild including me will be more than happy tho show you the ropes on how this game works .

Yup, dungeon runs, hard to get skill points whatever it may be, if you see me on feel free to whisper and I'll try give a hand :) A lot of people in the guild are ready and willing to help out on things so if you join, don't be afraid to ask. I don't think anyone bites. Maybe Hawk :p

Levyne

Banned
I could make a similar post but the short of it is that you do not need to worry about

I wouldn't want to make a huge commitment to being there for everyone, lest I be kicked out anyways due to inactivity

but I'd rather not take up a slot that could be better used by someone who can show up.

these things AT ALL

Edit: Yes, you could be kicked for inactivity but that's ONLY because there's a cap. If there was no cap, no one would be kicked. We don't care how much you rep [GAF], talk, or generally contribute.

Well, that's all more reassuring then! I do prefer to play alone or with friends most times, but I guess if it's not too much trouble joining a guild (and being able to switch freely) then I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Sorry for my worry on the matter.

My name is TheNoblePirate.9185, and thank you for considering me!

Granadier

I dunno what these guys are talking about, GAFGuild requires at least 8 hours of play per day. If you don't have a level 80 by the first week we kick you.

Why do you think Braxzy plays so much?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Sounds like you are definitely approaching the game in an awesome way! Are you in NA? Would you like a guild? :p Post a character name or Account.#### if so.

In the early days of the controller solution, I would have said that it probably put you at a disadvantage in PvP, but now it's so fluent that I can't even say that's the case.

I find it much, much more comfortable and GW2 feels downright awkward to me with a mouse and keyboard now. I can't recommend it enough. Note: our solution is not compatible with Windows 8, yet :(

edit: Invite sent, pirate!

you may find that you like the company even if you don't expect to want it ;)

Levyne

Banned
I dunno what these guys are talking about, GAFGuild requires at least 8 hours of play per day. If you don't have a level 80 by the first week we kick you.

Why do you think Braxzy plays so much?

braxzy is just an npc, I think he was added in one of the updates I missed

BraXzy

Well, that's all more reassuring then! I do prefer to play alone or with friends most times, but I guess if it's not too much trouble joining a guild (and being able to switch freely) then I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Sorry for my worry on the matter.

My name is TheNoblePirate.9185, and thank you for considering me!

Officers are pretty active so I'm sure you'll get an invite in no time. And then the initiation can begin!

tumblr_m20j17pBKl1r3ifxzo1_500.gif

There isn't an initiation.. but there totally should be :D

edit: Invite sent, pirate!

you may find that you like the company even if you don't expect to want it ;)

Thank you kindly! Note that I've been so "out of the loop" when it comes to guilds in games, that I'm probably going to have to relearn what it means to even have a guild chat, haha. I'll keep an open mind about it, after all, the game is called Guild Wars 2, so I'll assume it should be a good experience!

Granadier

It's a very valid representation of my face recently.

edit: I love how you pasted that five times, representing five members in the group.

BraXzy

Thank you kindly! Note that I've been so "out of the loop" when it comes to guilds in games, that I'm probably going to have to relearn what it means to even have a guild chat, haha. I'll keep an open mind about it, after all, the game is called Guild Wars 2, so I'll assume it should be a good experience!

Well anyhow, welcome aboard! Feel free to ignore guild chat if it gets a little weird. And err.. just enjoy yourself and play the game how you want :)

It's a very valid representation of my face recently.
I understand, I actually had at least 3 cups of coffee today, heh.
Well anyhow, welcome aboard! Feel free to ignore guild chat if it gets a little weird. And err.. just enjoy yourself and play the game how you want :)
Thank you, I will at least lurk the chat to see how it is somewhat. And I'll keep playing and enjoying the world as usual!
Make sure you remember to go to the [G] window and represent if you want to see chat.
Oh, thanks, I wouldn't have known to do that. (someday I should actually read the manual, heh)

Thorgal

Also the guild wars 2 comunity is for the most part a helpful and friendly lot so should you have a question and no one of the guild is available , you can ask on Map chat and someone will probably answer .

BraXzy

Also the guild wars 2 comunity is for the most part a helpful and friendly lot so should you have a question and no one of the guild is available , you can ask on Map chat and someone will probably answer .

This is both true and weird. Most gaming communities would mock/troll someone new asking for help but often times random players will offer advice and assistance out of the blue.

Ultimatum

Banned
updating gw2, only 80k files to go

I played on some eu server, can I switch? or can I play with you guys anyway?

what's the funnest class, I might just start again

had a lvl 40 something ranger

Levyne

Banned

You can switch servers for free if you delete all your characters. You can keep items in your bank.

If you didn't like ranger, you could try Warrior or Guardian for something fairly straightforward.

Edit: You being on an EU server means you can't really play with us unless you switch, unfortunately. Most of us are on the Stormbluff Isle NA server.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Does anyone have a link to the website that checks which servers have completed which meta events?

Need to buy some Obsidian Shards but the karma vendor on Stormbluff and the meta event attached aren't completed atm.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

We're on Stormbluff Isle, sadly you'd need to transfer to an NA server to play with us.

Basically your options are
1) Pay for a transfer by buying gems with cash (not worth it)
2) Delete your characters and pick again, you save any money you've earned and anything you put in your bank
3) Join the guild anyway, stay on your server for the moment, and if you wind up being a pretty active player, we can raise the gold to pay for your transfer (the guild immigration fund)
Does anyone have a link to the website that checks which servers have completed which meta events?

Need to buy some Obsidian Shards but the karma vendor on Stormbluff and the meta event attached aren't completed atm.
With Megaservers, there's no such thing as this anymore, you're not looking at the "Stormbluff Isle" karma vendor at all.

Your best bet if you need Balthazar open is to actually DO balthazar.

Remember there are also these options for Obsidian Shards which are all less dependent on world state.

-Laurel merchant in any city, for 3 Laurels per 3
-BUY-4373 in the Fractals of the Mists, for 15 Fractal Relics each
-Chance from Lost Orrian Jewelry Box
-Structured PvP reward track
-Chance from Buried Locked Chest

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
With Megaservers, there's no such thing as this anymore, you're not looking at the "Stormbluff Isle" karma vendor at all.

Your best bet if you need Balthazar open is to actually DO balthazar.

Crap, I forgot about some of the minor details. Damm. I dont think I can solo tank Balthazar any time soon, hah.

Remember there are also these options for Obsidian Shards which are all less dependent on world state.

-Laurel merchant in any city, for 3 Laurel.png per 3
-BUY-4373 in the Fractals of the Mists, for 15 Fractal Relics each
-Chance from Lost Orrian Jewelry Box
-Structured PvP reward track
-Chance from Buried Locked Chest

Oh, I know all the ways to get them. Im trying to get Mystic Clovers to finish my legendary. I have 59 and need 77 and I'm pretty much out of Obsidian Shards, Laurels, Fractal Relics, etc.

I have about 22k Karma, which is nothing really, to try to get 10 more OS.

That mystic toliet has ate 100's of my OS and given back anything but Clovers. It's driving me nuts. Feel like a drug addict trying to scrape enough change together for a hit.

Can't wait until this Legendary journey is over. Never again.

I want to play more ARAH. I was prepared for three hours, and we only took one...

Too bad my GPU is busted and I am using the integrated graphics, or I could have taken some nice screenshots of our group. It doesn't look so nice on the lowest graphics settings. :(

Levyne

Banned
I want to play more ARAH. I was prepared for three hours, and we only took one...

Too bad my GPU is busted and I am using the integrated graphics, or I could have taken some nice screenshots of our group. It doesn't look so nice on the lowest graphics settings. :(

Arah 3 is pretty reasonable compared to the other paths. Even a casual gaf group can do it in 45 if not stuck on Lupi and you have some stealth to skip a few mobs.

Timeskip Ursa

Looks very fitting for the desert area!

I also just saw this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855862 and I'm surprised/pleased about the general favorable responses for Guild Wars 2. Trey's post in the thread is basically mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom