• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Ok turns out i am a noob .

I totally forgot that each precursor has a name so of course nothing would show up if i typed " precursor " in the search bar . :p

this-cannot-be-realqtysr.gif

Moondrop

Banned
I knew people were pugging tPvP; I didn't know one could solo queue for it.

This means that if we can just put together 5 people on Mumble, even if all don't have mics, we could roll people and get nice rewards. So this is a new call for anyone who wants to group up for non-regular, semi-casual tPvP.

I say semi-casual because we would try to win the match and hone our builds, but otherwise not take it seriously.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
months ago I had a damn avalanche of PC issues, overheating and bluescreens (couldn't identify the error message at the time), ended up having to replace my entire cooling solution and a hard drive as well as do a windows reinstall, updating every last chipset/controller driver etc. Since then I hadn't had a bluescreen and performance has been great. Last night there was a bluescreen waiting for me when I got home. Thought nothing of it (a bluescreen every three months is certainly tolerable) and restarted, windows came up fine, and I wound up playing like 4 hours of GW2.

Went to bed with it still working fine, woke up and it's hung on a bluescreen again (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Reboot and this time it can't get into Windows. Gets to the startup repair and tries the auto system restore point. No dice, bluescreens before hitting the desktop, same error. Shut it off and went to work.

That error typically comes from some piece of hardware or another. Could be another one of the drivers or a stick of RAM. But honestly I'm too fed up to even troubleshoot this thing anymore, I've poured tons of time into it and got a solid 5 years out of the machine, I'd rather just yank out my 780SC and my SSD and blow up the rest. I'd been having occasional USB controller issues still and the motherboard and CPU are both dated.

sigh. this is punishment for not having played the story missions yet I guess, I'll wind up having to play them at 15fps on my laptop >_<

not happy about the unexpected expense but I want to at least do this right. I don't have the patience to start from scratch again (at least not living in this apartment) but I don't need a GPU, support or a Windows license so I'm thinking what I need is a deal on an assembled barebones kit.

I've been out of the market for everything but GPUs for years now so I barely even know what to look for. will be moseying over to the build a PC thread but if anyone has any must-buys/do-not-buys offhand I would much appreciate it.

raaaaaar

edit: in for PvP groups in my whenever-I-am-gaming-ready-again future Moondrop, I have definitely been feeling the itch and I'm like 50% through the balth track.

Zeroth

This means that if we can just put together 5 people on Mumble, even if all don't have mics, we could roll people and get nice rewards. So this is a new call for anyone who wants to group up for non-regular, semi-casual tPvP.

I say semi-casual because we would try to win the match and hone our builds, but otherwise not take it seriously.

Funny, I was just talking to Ike a couple days ago about trying out PvP, this could be a great opportunity to do it!

Moondrop

Banned
Sorry about your PC issues Hawk. I built my first PC using the NeoGAF thread but I know nothing they wouldn't know better.

Funny, I was just talking to Ike a couple days ago about trying out PvP, this could be a great opportunity to do it!
Uh oh, the guy who pushed a whole PvE guild from fractals level 30 -> 50 is on board. It's no longer semi-casual everyone. :p

No this is great; it would be amazing if we can get a pool of up to 10 eventually to pull from.

And I want to emphasize that all classes and experience levels are welcome. Nor would we demand that you use any particular build for that class, but we will strive to make your build as good as possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
even merely assigning individuals to certain points or tasks (roaming/objectives) based on their existing builds, plus mumble communication, often leads to overwhelming victory

Jira

months ago I had a damn avalanche of PC issues, overheating and bluescreens (couldn't identify the error message at the time), ended up having to replace my entire cooling solution and a hard drive as well as do a windows reinstall, updating every last chipset/controller driver etc. Since then I hadn't had a bluescreen and performance has been great. Last night there was a bluescreen waiting for me when I got home. Thought nothing of it (a bluescreen every three months is certainly tolerable) and restarted, windows came up fine, and I wound up playing like 4 hours of GW2.

Went to bed with it still working fine, woke up and it's hung on a bluescreen again (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Reboot and this time it can't get into Windows. Gets to the startup repair and tries the auto system restore point. No dice, bluescreens before hitting the desktop, same error. Shut it off and went to work.

That error typically comes from some piece of hardware or another. Could be another one of the drivers or a stick of RAM. But honestly I'm too fed up to even troubleshoot this thing anymore, I've poured tons of time into it and got a solid 5 years out of the machine, I'd rather just yank out my 780SC and my SSD and blow up the rest. I'd been having occasional USB controller issues still and the motherboard and CPU are both dated.

sigh. this is punishment for not having played the story missions yet I guess, I'll wind up having to play them at 15fps on my laptop >_<

not happy about the unexpected expense but I want to at least do this right. I don't have the patience to start from scratch again (at least not living in this apartment) but I don't need a GPU, support or a Windows license so I'm thinking what I need is a deal on an assembled barebones kit.

I've been out of the market for everything but GPUs for years now so I barely even know what to look for. will be moseying over to the build a PC thread but if anyone has any must-buys/do-not-buys offhand I would much appreciate it.

raaaaaar

edit: in for PvP groups in my whenever-I-am-gaming-ready-again future Moondrop, I have definitely been feeling the itch and I'm like 50% through the balth track.

Oddly enough I'm putting together a part list for a guy at work later tonight so I'll help you out Hawk. So you really just need a Mobo, cpu, ram, what about an HDD for storage?

TrounceX

So I heard that [HIRE] transferred to SBI? Anyone seen them out? Aurust is a really good commander so I would definitely follow him if given a chance. Mauri Z as well is pretty good. SBI tier 2?

And Hawkian, I don't have time to google the bluescreen error but I work in IT and the majority of bluescreens can be traced back to the hard drive. I'd hate for you to transplant your SSD into the new build and have old problems follow you. Just a heads up.

Vyrance

So I heard that [HIRE] transferred to SBI? Anyone seen them out? Aurust is a really good commander so I would definitely follow him if given a chance. Mauri Z as well is pretty good. SBI tier 2?

Some of [HIRE] NA has come over. Their SEA is still a bit hesitant because they're not sure what fights they would get. Although DB and CD should still have a lot larger SEA groups. Also [Keep] is a new guild that came over here. One of them said they were people from TC and JQ. Can't remember the commander's name who was in EB last night.

Levyne

Banned
Some of [HIRE] NA has come over. Their SEA is still a bit hesitant because they're not sure what fights they would get. Although DB and CD should still have a lot larger SEA groups. Also [Keep] is a new guild that came over here. One of them said they were people from TC and JQ. Can't remember the commander's name who was in EB last night.

Paenn

Minamu

I asked in the chat before today but I had to log out before anyone could answer; Can I play the story dungeons with gaf even though I'm in Sweden and most likely play on an EU server?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And Hawkian, I don't have time to google the bluescreen error but I work in IT and the majority of bluescreens can be traced back to the hard drive. I'd hate for you to transplant your SSD into the new build and have old problems follow you. Just a heads up.
Well the SSD is brand new and the bluescreens predated its installation. If it is one of the drives it's almost definitely one of the 3 standard ones, two of which are 4+ years old.

definitely possible (HDD and RAM are the most common sources of that error) but if it's one of the drives I'll have to isolate the bad one regardless. i'm just going to use this opportunity to get rid of every other variable.

BraXzy

Ok turns out i am a noob .

I totally forgot that each precursor has a name so of course nothing would show up if i typed " precursor " in the search bar . :p

mj-laughing.gif

To be fair, I've done similar before.

I'd be down for some casual PvP, I need to dive into it so I might as well do it with fellow GAFers.

Retro

I asked in the chat before today but I had to log out before anyone could answer; Can I play the story dungeons with gaf even though I'm in Sweden and most likely play on an EU server?

If you're on an EU server, then no. However, you can transfer to an NA server (and we have a fund in the guild specifically set up to help defray the costs), as a lot of EU players experience little to no latency issues.

It's literally the only thing in this game keeping folks from playing together.

Katoki

Sure... but if you're *forcing* yourself to do them, instead of letting them happen during a natural play session... you're not having fun. And if you're not having fun, why play?

Because the entire game is a chore after 5k hours but I still like doing certain things that may or may not hit the daily so I'll do things like switch to thief pistol to spam the second skill on top of the bleed from the auto-attack to clear condition applier in like.. 5 seconds.

I'm about in the same boat as spiritfox except that I have a limited time to play based on my attention span now. I'd rather have the daily squared away so I can log off whenever I want to when messing around but if you like like living on the edge where sometimes you'll only have gotten 3 of 5 through subjectively fun normal play when real life hits or its time to go then more power to you. I like ensuring things and in this case I'm not going that far out of my way to do it. Its not fun nor stimulating but if you wanted stimulating, go talk to Adriaaaaaaaa about the deforestation of what's left of Orr.

I feel like arguing for the sake of arguing so you can take your version of fun and keep it.

Edit: in other news my engineer is ~level 50 with ~ 45&#8453; map completion so I think I'm doing pretty good there. I'll finally get to jump back into WvW a bit more once I get rid of that huge target over my head and dont feel useless with 1.6k armor from the scaling. My map is also kind of interesting looking since I'm picking zones to clear kind of haphazardly so it's not like a clean sweep right to left or something. Need dat star.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What server are you on?
if you like like living on the edge where sometimes you'll only have gotten 3 of 5 through subjectively fun normal play when real life hits or its time to go
i live on the edge maaaaaaan

"subjectively fun" strikes me as a hilarious phrase, eh? Is not all fun subjective?

Personally i had a lot of fun razing the fledgling forests of Orr to the ground with the OCLC actually, and just stopped at the exact moment I got bored of it :p

Katoki

What server are you on?

i live on the edge maaaaaaan

"subjectively fun" strikes me as a hilarious phrase, eh? Is not all fun subjective?

Personally i had a lot of fun razing the fledgling forests of Orr to the ground with the OCLC actually, and just stopped at the exact moment I got bored of it :p

Got too much of a response out of the whole thing so I had to do something to be captain obvious. I suppose it was a bad time seeing as Miktar was trying to figure out fun for people who skip out on trying something else available if the first thing didn't work out.

I'm down for this. I like to play PvP but, don't have the time to take it seriously.

Thorgal

So fun story today .

my uncle came over today and after a while he started asking what i was playing .
He was an avid WOW player a few years ago so explanations where easy enough .

Then i had an idea .
I asked him if he wanted to choose what my new character should be and how he would look since i could not cut the knot .
He happily obliged .
I left him for a while and when i came back he was finished and so, i now present to you :

Bahan Sabel the Norn Ranger .

gw22014-08-0121-36-296ljwv.jpg

tmespe

If anyone could invite me to the guild that would be very nice. I have had the game for a while but never got around to playing it. Just started a new warrior and trying to level. Name is T Mike.5621

Katoki

If anyone could invite me to the guild that would be very nice. I have had the game for a while but never got around to playing it. Just started a new warrior and trying to level.

Need a character name or account name with the four numbers at the end. Thanks.

Edit: looks like you caught it.

jersoc

Because the entire game is a chore after 5k hours but I still like doing certain things that may or may not hit the daily so I'll do things like switch to thief pistol to spam the second skill on top of the bleed from the auto-attack to clear condition applier in like.. 5 seconds.

I'm about in the same boat as spiritfox except that I have a limited time to play based on my attention span now. I'd rather have the daily squared away so I can log off whenever I want to when messing around but if you like like living on the edge where sometimes you'll only have gotten 3 of 5 through subjectively fun normal play when real life hits or its time to go then more power to you. I like ensuring things and in this case I'm not going that far out of my way to do it. Its not fun nor stimulating but if you wanted stimulating, go talk to Adriaaaaaaaa about the deforestation of what's left of Orr.

I feel like arguing for the sake of arguing so you can take your version of fun and keep it.

Edit: in other news my engineer is ~level 50 with ~ 45&#8453; map completion so I think I'm doing pretty good there. I'll finally get to jump back into WvW a bit more once I get rid of that huge target over my head and dont feel useless with 1.6k armor from the scaling. My map is also kind of interesting looking since I'm picking zones to clear kind of haphazardly so it's not like a clean sweep right to left or something. Need dat star.

this is why i pretty much log on to do the new season and that's about it. there's really not much to work towards. the dailies got boring as shit and laurels have no use. I have so fucking many of those things.

If anyone could invite me to the guild that would be very nice. I have had the game for a while but never got around to playing it. Just started a new warrior and trying to level. Name is T Mike.5621

INvited.

Welcome. Do not forget to represent the guild in the Guild window if you want to see guild chat.

Mxrz

My long term "Goals" of a sort.

- Shark rank.
- Personal story finished on all characters.
- Master dueling banjos on the lute.
- Each class in Ascended armor.
- Solo more dungeon paths.

Can't really do anything about the RNG goals (legendary/fractal skins).

Zeroth

Saving my laurels til we get to know how precursor crafting works. Locking it being laurels could be a way to time gate it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welp, I was a dummy and damaged my cpu socket. Need a new motherboard. Updating the game on the laptop ;_;

dude. brohug.

this is exactly what I want to take out of the equation with my new rig, if I did something like this while putting it together after the crap I went through just fixing my existing one, i'd flip out. FLIP OUT MAN.

TrounceX

Yeah, their SEA definitely won't transfer to T3. I know those guys pretty well and I think they will move to SoS as soon as TC falls down.

It's unfortunate that due to attrition and neglect on the part of Anet that there will probably never be 3rd stable T1 server again. Just not enough people playing anymore.

I thought I heard somebody on here say that there's not many staff working on Living Story....so where's everybody else? What are they doing? Can they please do something about balancing servers or livening up the WvW scene? Is this even on their radar? Honest question as I don't follow updates anymore.

BraXzy

My long term "Goals" of a sort.

- Shark rank.
- Personal story finished on all characters.
- Master dueling banjos on the lute.
- Each class in Ascended armor.
- Solo more dungeon paths.

Can't really do anything about the RNG goals (legendary/fractal skins).

Mine currently are:

- Get 100% Map completion
- Create "Twilight" the legendary Greatsword
- Earn the title Dungeon Master
- Fully gear my Warrior with Ascended ready for GAFractals
- Have a lvl 80 of each class

Saving my laurels til we get to know how precursor crafting works. Locking it being laurels could be a way to time gate it.

Do we know if that's still going to be a thing?

WvW and attention? You're kidding right?

Since launch, they've added World Ranks, Traps, Seasons, reworked the maps, added in Ruins, created the entire Edge of the Mists system and map, and have made over a thousand bugfixes, changes and minor additions. While WvW is clearly not the main focus for ArenaNet (WvW and PvP are not the majority of the playerbase), to imply that they've done nothing or don't care about it, is disingenuous.

That's not to say there aren't issues. And one would hope those issues are being worked on. I do not know what the WvW team size is, we only know that about 20 people are working on Living World, so that leaves around 180 people doing what I imagine are a thousand various projects all related to maintenance, upkeep, localization planning, infrastructure, and future features.

Just because the single thing one cares about isn't immediately being given 100% of a company's time and focus at this instant, doesn't mean it is being ignored. I understand the frustration, but devolving into reddit-style "lol anet hates dungeoneers/pvpers/wvwers" doesn't do anything constructive.

Minamu

If you're on an EU server, then no. However, you can transfer to an NA server (and we have a fund in the guild specifically set up to help defray the costs), as a lot of EU players experience little to no latency issues.

It's literally the only thing in this game keeping folks from playing together.
I see, well that sucks. Good initiative though!

What server are you on?
Ruins of Surmia.

Katoki

Since launch, they've added World Ranks, Traps, Seasons, reworked the maps, added in Ruins, created the entire Edge of the Mists system and map, and have made over a thousand bugfixes, changes and minor additions. While WvW is clearly not the main focus for ArenaNet (WvW and PvP are not the majority of the playerbase), to imply that they've done nothing or don't care about it, is disingenuous.

That's not to say there aren't issues. And one would hope those issues are being worked on. I do not know what the WvW team size is, we only know that about 20 people are working on Living World, so that leaves around 180 people doing what I imagine are a thousand various projects all related to maintenance, upkeep, localization planning, infrastructure, and future features.

Just because the single thing one cares about isn't immediately being given 100% of a company's time and focus at this instant, doesn't mean it is being ignored. I understand the frustration, but devolving into reddit-style "lol anet hates dungeoneers/pvpers/wvwers" doesn't do anything constructive.

I don't know what it is that any of us want but the additions they have implemented seem more to keep people busy than anything else. Maybe a consolation because no one is able to catch the fabled unicorn? I can't think of the word really.

I don't know what it is that any of us want but the additions they have implemented seem more to keep people busy than anything else. Maybe a consolation because no one is able to catch the fabled unicorn? I can't think of the word really.

If there's one thing 25 years of playing MMOs have taught me, is that no matter what a developer does, it's never good enough to please everyone. Ever.

Moondrop

Banned
Well in the interest of not being disingenuous, reworking the maps and adding the ruins were one and the same. That's been the only change to the maps and one of two changes to gameplay in WvW, and it is a good one. But frankly it itself is a replacement of the broken orb system they removed shortly after launch.

WvW ranks as they relate to new abilities is the other, and it's been a mixed bag.

EotM is for the rewards-based crowd; it has nothing to do with the core WvW audience.

I'm not crying for WvW to be changed, but these concerns aren't without merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom