• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

zvHr5sx.png

I make the opponents feel chillaxed.

Retro

Clickbait opinion piece if I ever saw one.

Here's the thing. ArenaNet has said that releasing content and features together was having an adverse effect on the community and they made the decision to separate them. That's been known for a while now, so what purpose could the article possibly serve? "When will we get more features?" Gee, I dunno, when there's a break in the Living Story like they've said a dozen times?

The dumbest part is that the dungeons are already "upscaled", in that they scale. Someone clearly has not actually played one.

Sad Fact: this appears to be the only guy doing their GW2 coverage. There's someone writing articles about fashion, but the majority of news and editorials are coming from this "Lee B." guy. I should at least hope he's playing, but it's hard to say. He could just be copying Dulfy for all we know.

Arenanet hates him! This savvy games journalist shows you why living story sucks and tells all about the new expansion coming soon!!!

Mentioning an expansion for GW2 at this point is a pretty clear indicator that whoever's doing the writing doesn't follow the game very closely. It's been going strong for two years now without even floating an expansion to drum up hype. And let's be honest; there have been some dicey updates along the way (slow burn of early Season 1, Dragon Bash being a complete dud, Scarlet being more obnoxious than threatening, etc.) and it hasn't appeared to slow the game down.

TLDR: We don't need no stinkin' expansions.

Retro

So like... 6am Australian time on Monday or something. :( I could probably still make it just have to elect an early night or night.

3pm Eastern is 5am Monday AEST, 3am AWST. Saturday night missions (which would be 11am / 9am Sunday) might be better for you? I realize our times aren't ideal but we tried a bunch of different times when Missions first released and the current times worked best for the majority of the guild.

Those are some terrible times for you though, I feel for ya.

Thorgal

Congrats President brarakzy on your Promotion .

I bailed out of missions yesterday because A) i got another server error while trying to ferry to Teq souring my mood a bit .
And
B ) because i was close to passing out behind my PC :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nice work brax!

Now time to tune in on some simpsons or beakman's world eps for key farming. I noticed that an episode is as long as a key run.

Nice work brax!

Now time to tune in on some simpsons or beakman's world eps for key farming. I noticed that an episode is as long as a key run.
I did a couple yesterday; did anyone manage to do under 20-25 minutes? I can't make less than that. I lose a lot of time going to the bank though, but that's necessary to t be strategy.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
guardian is still unable to login, ive made a warrior for now called Angelina Chay. shes 22 now so basically up with my guardian.

BraXzy

Those are some terrible times for you though, I feel for ya.

Normal missions start at 2am and finish at 4-5am for me. How do you think I feel?!
I don't sleep anyway :p

Congrats President brarakzy on your Promotion

Good job Braxzy! :D

Nice work brax!

Welcome to the club brax! You replaced roxie right

Of course not, they're the same person.

Thanks guys! :) I haven't replaced anyone no, not even myself!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I did a couple yesterday; did anyone manage to do under 20-25 minutes? I can't make less than that. I lose a lot of time going to the bank though, but that's necessary to t be strategy.

I have a digital deluxe edition, saves bank trips because you always get a golem bank.

Also I figured out why the Skip button isn't in the intro when replaying my key farmer. You MUST exit the instance (in this case The Commander) to make it reappear.

Thorgal

Which home world should I select in Europe? Does it matter much?

You can choose whichever one you want but be warned that the EU part of the guild is utterly dead .

so if you want to join GAF guild , i recommend you join Stormbluff isle which is an NA server and where almost everyone is located .

BraXzy

Which home world should I select in Europe? Does it matter much?

Nobody that I know of is actively present on an EU server from GAF. Everybody is located on an NA server called Stormbluff Isle, European players included (including myself). I have never noticed any significant lag that would make me regret joining an American server so feel free to join us.

It is entirely your choice however which server you go for. I know that players on other NA servers to ours can still do 90% of things with the rest of the guild, but I'm not sure what, if anything you can do should you be on an EU server. Regions keep themselves to themselves as far as I am aware.

So I just started this game this morning after owning it for over a year.

Any tips for a newcomer?

This post is relevant to your interests.

Here are my important ones:

Take it slow. Explore. Harvest everything you see. Don't stick to your racial starter zone, explore the others. Use the 'Deposit to Collections' option in your inventory to store crafting materials. If you're not enjoying your profession, try another one.

you do still have a large advantage as a downscaled 80 in dungeons and I want hard mode.

Try doing it with only four, three, or two 80s. :p As in, doing the dungeon with only four people, or three, or two.

Complistic

Any tips for a newcomer?

Yeah, join our guild. And start over on our server if you aren't already on stormbluff isle.

Try doing it with only four, three, or two 80s. :p As in, doing the dungeon with only four people, or three, or two.

I would, but the whole idea of hardmode is to present a challenge AND give you better rewards.

Magic find armor was a hardmode in a way. Basically gimping yourself to get better drops but that's all gone now.

BraXzy

Any tips for a newcomer?

Take it slow. Explore. Harvest everything you see. Don't stick to your racial starter zone, explore the others. Use the 'Deposit to Collections' option in your inventory to store crafting materials. If you're not enjoying your profession, try another one.

These are pretty great suggestions. With emphasis on feel free to explore anywhere at any time. The only thing I'd add off the top of my head, don't be afraid to ask for help. Whether it be in guild chat (should you join) or in general/map chat. People are pretty friendly in this game as far as communities goes, there are a lot of generous folk around willing to offer advice and help.

I would, but the whole idea of hardmode is to present a challenge AND give you better rewards.

If you're only playing hardmode for better rewards, then you're not really after the challenge, are you? :p

If I were Anet, I'd put in a hardcore nightmare mode for every dungeon, that gives *no* reward other than standard completion rewards. Because this "get a shiny star no matter what you do" gaming culture of today is pretty lame.

EDIT: In before "but people play MMOs for the lewt". Sure, some MMOs. But I don't play GW2 for the loot, never have. I play it to play the content, in the same way I play Tetris to play the game of Tetris. And I sure as hell don't need Tetris to give me achievements every time I clear five rows at once, and reward me with a new T-shirt for my Tetris Avatar. But that's me.

BraXzy

Alright so.. after hitting a bug at every single step along the way through this current LW episode, I've finally got to what I assume is the end of the Frostgorge section of it. All the bugs have left a super sour taste in my mouth for this episode, and the worst part is, I haven't even followed what I've been doing because each step required 20 attempts.

I was about to ask for a recap but just noticed the diary like entries in the LW journal so at least I have those :3

Fingers crossed this is the last of the issues with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jeez, I didn't run into any bugs, what could possibly have made you take 20+ attempts? :'(
Or solo....? obviously this is pretty different from a hard mode because you could do that with fewer than 5 people too.

Magic find armor was a hardmode in a way. Basically gimping yourself to get better drops but that's all gone now.
ahh yeah well, I wouldn't care about the rewards, just want the challenge potential. magic find was pretty bad because it didn't apply to the party.

Iu3fAYz.jpg

I see absolutely no reason I can't play for both.

Of course. My beef with the idea is more of a philosophical one. I see so many people on reddit and forums complain when the "reward" isn't good enough. That irks me, because the reward shouldn't be the focus - playing the content should be. I've met people who won't play a game on Steam if it doesn't have achievements. I've seen GW2 players ignore entire chunks of the Living World, because the meta reward "wasn't worth it".

That just pisses me off, because it's indicative of an entirely broken mindset, a skewed mentality that places all the emphasis on entitlement. And it's pretty pervasive in gaming these days. "Press A to Awesome", et al.

Not saying you're like that - just explaining why I'm prickly about the idea of "harder content should equal better rewards". Beating the harder content *is* the reward, in my opinion anyway.

BraXzy

Jeez, I didn't run into any bugs, what could possibly have made you take 20+ attempts? :'(

20 might have been an overexaggeration, but, all the first few steps on the first night when I hopped instances repeatedly to find working ones. That was my choice to do so rather than wait it out but all the same. It has basically been every step that wasn't instanced went wrong for me :(

my 10 keys today

gw050ahjp7.jpg

hmmm good or bad?

Honestly, I'd say average. You got a few scraps, which can go toward a claim ticket, a few useful bits and bobs but nothing special. You are grinding lottery tickets though so this is gonna happen. But next week you might get a contract which makes up for it :p

Remfin

you do still have a large advantage as a downscaled 80 in dungeons and I want hard mode.
There's no reason to believe an 80-scaled version is going to be any different. They aren't going to give individual attention to every single mob in there, especially if a level cap raise is possible in the future.

Not sure how much you can do with a Hard Mode without a mechanic like the Holy Trinity. Right now all you could really do is overload fights with even more mechanics (or completely change fights to use different mechanics) or make the twitch parts even twitch-ier. If they're going to do that, I'd rather just have new dungeons for more options in general.

nataku

That bug where you can't skips the intro sometimes is really starting to hinder my key farming.

It's also a little annoying when I get a chest drop while farming for a key...

Complistic

Of course. My beef with the idea is more of a philosophical one. I see so many people on reddit and forums complain when the "reward" isn't good enough. That irks me, because the reward shouldn't be the focus - playing the content should be. I've met people who won't play a game on Steam if it doesn't have achievements. I've seen GW2 players ignore entire chunks of the Living World, because the meta reward "wasn't worth it".

That just pisses me off, because it's indicative of an entirely broken mindset, a skewed mentality that places all the emphasis on entitlement. And it's pretty pervasive in gaming these days. "Press A to Awesome", et al.

Not saying you're like that - just explaining why I'm prickly about the idea of "harder content should equal better rewards". Beating the harder content *is* the reward, in my opinion anyway.

Nah, I understand what you're saying. The last 2 or 3 weeks I've stopped using waypoints for everything but guild related functions, and I've never had as much fun with the game. I'm just doing jumping puzzles and dungeons as I pass them by in the world. So I'm banking like, next to nothing, but that doesn't matter to me at this stage of the game. All my characters have everything I want them to.

Regardless, the whole high risk, high reward idea isn't a new concept. It isn't about the reward (to me), so much as the idea that I'm about to undertake a very difficult task with the possibility of great fortune at the end of it. Rewards also add to replayability, at least for me. The first time is always about the accomplishment, but once that's over and done with, I don't get the same sense of accomplishment upon repeating something. A carrot at the end helps me a whole lot more with that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's no reason to believe an 80-scaled version is going to be any different. They aren't going to give individual attention to every single mob in there, especially if a level cap raise is possible in the future.
Of course there is, nor would they have to. First of all, the ferocity change made it so that the more you were being downleveled the more damage you do compared to prior to this change. Level 80 mobs eliminate that. Then you can make level 81+ encounters, change elites to champs, and offer player handicaps, all without individually touching a single mob. these were data mined:

09818_0161 Half Life
109818_0167 ../.. Completed
109819_0060 Complete the dungeon with the 50 percent health gambit active.
109819_0061 l33t Less
109819_0062 Complete the dungeon without using utility or elite skills.
109822_0162 One Life to Live
109822_0163 Complete the dungeon without going downed or dying.
109822_0165 Man Down
109822_0166 Complete the dungeon with only 4 players, start to finish.
109822_0167 Touchdown
109822_0168 Complete the dungeon with a party member that is level 70 or lower

Especially "complete without going down" is a simple, interesting, universal way to make any instance more challenging. I also had a conversation with a dev about vanquishing in dungeons. something functionally like a killstreak booster would allow you to increase the reward payout for every mob you killed with a bonus for literally clearing the dungeon.
If they're going to do that, I'd rather just have new dungeons for more options in general.
I'd rather have new dungeons too. seems a little like a false dichotomy. the question isn't of it would it be better to make hard mode for existing dungeons or just make new dungeons, it's whether or not they could get new life from existing content without the development time required for new ones.

BraXzy

So.. what is everyone hoping for the next Living World episode before the break that we are having?

I personally hope we get an awesome story episode with a cliffhanger good enough to leave us wanting more all the way through the break. And I also want a standalone event on par with the Crown Pavilion from the Bazaar to tide us over till the LW returns. Maybe tie it in with the continuation of the back piece too.

Retro

I'd rather have new dungeons too. seems a little like a false dichotomy. the question isn't of it would it be better to make hard mode for existing dungeons or just make new dungeons, it's whether or not they could get new life from existing content without the development time required for new ones.

There are actually large parts of the existing dungeons you can't access (the creepy room in CM) or don't have anything in them (the "Leap of Faith" room in AC). Not to mention they can add new paths to the existing dungeons whenever they want (preferably with new areas in the dungeon that open up.

Also, my original pitch for Fractals could still be implemented.

So.. what is everyone hoping for the next Living World episode before the break that we are having?

I personally hope we get an awesome story episode with a cliffhanger good enough to leave us wanting more all the way through the break. And I also want a standalone event on par with the Crown Pavilion from the Bazaar to tide us over till the LW returns. Maybe tie it in with the continuation of the back piece too.

Pretty much this. I think they know to include something that's long-term to keep players invested during the break. Dragon Bash and SAB are both due for an appearance soon... the latter would do very nicely.

BraXzy

Hehe. "This is my seat, do as you please, but do not move me, I am watching the tree outside."

Pretty much this. I think they know to include something that's long-term to keep players invested during the break. Dragon Bash and SAB are both due for an appearance soon... the latter would do very nicely.

SAB being Super Adventure Box? Give me a quick recap on what that was outside of toy sword skins xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom