• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Until ANet actually says something, I have a hard time believing it'll change. People are speculating over the China version. Locking the personal story-line until level 10 would be incredibly stupid. They could always change the rewards, but I can't imagine why given they've "okayed' keyfarming more than once.

Yeah this too.

Still, better be prepared!

Arena.net's plan to get me to log in again in order to permanently unlock the new event chapters has worked, and I started playing again after an exceedingly long hiatus. (I think I only played until the first halloween event...missed a ton of stuff since!)

Discovered that almost no one in my old guild plays anymore. Is there room in the NeoGAF guild? Would love to find some people to play with again, and see what these new guild quests are all about. I'm on Yak's Bend, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter too much with the megaserver thing?

Anyhow, I'm TeasingPink.4728 if new members are still being accepted!

hythloday

Just a reminder, since we're now just over a week out from the update:

Due to the announced changes today, we'll be eliminating the "Remote Operator" rank from the guild since that was a way for non-SBI members to spend influence on their own 'chapter'. Anyone who has been using the guild bank as their own private hoard will need to clear their stuff out before that happens.

Clean out your junks, junks, junks
From your trunks, trunks, trunks

Bah no post today because of shitty holidays. Grrr

Haha, today's labor day in the US. I didn't expect a blog post today so I'm not surprised! Also PAX is still going on today so I think they'd rightfully let it bide til tomorrow. We can handle it!

Arena.net's plan to get me to log in again in order to permanently unlock the new event chapters has worked, and I started playing again after an exceedingly long hiatus. (I think I only played until the first halloween event...missed a ton of stuff since!)

Discovered that almost no one in my old guild plays anymore. Is there room in the NeoGAF guild? Would love to find some people to play with again, and see what these new guild quests are all about. I'm on Yak's Bend, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter too much with the megaserver thing?

Anyhow, I'm TeasingPink.4728 if new members are still being accepted!

JOIN US. if you dare
to accept the invite I just sent you!

Remfin

I think there's lots of ways that can determine that.
Trust me, with the way crypto hashes work, there isn't. At least, not with the split-second return it gives you when it isn't valid. And since there seems to be a different message for when a password WAS used, but isn't anymore, they clearly are tracking it with account names too.

Jira

When you sign up for a GW2 account your password has to be unique. As in, if you pick a password someone else has used, it gives you that message and makes you pick another.

There's only one way they can determine that...

They even have a help page about it. Yuck, why haven't people complained about this before?

The reason it was done was to ensure that no one was able to use a password that they have used in another game. That made it so if another game dev got compromised, it would drastically reduce the chance that your GW2 account would also be compromised.

See here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

Remfin

The reason it was done was to ensure that no one was able to use a password that they have used in another game. That made it so if another game dev got compromised, it would drastically reduce the chance that your GW2 account would also be compromised.

See here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/
I get the "why", I saw the blog post. I'm saying it's horrible security, and ensures if GW2 gets compromised now other games have to take similar procedures, because we know passwords were leaked, and not strong hashes.

Jira

I get the "why", I saw the blog post. I'm saying it's horrible security, and ensures if GW2 gets compromised now other games have to take similar procedures, because we know passwords were leaked, and not strong hashes.

I can't imagine they wouldn't hash all passwords given how much they care about account security. That would be incredibly foolish.

Thorgal

Something occurred to me today :

Why is there not a PVP option for 1v1 Matches ?

I know that there are servers that are organized to be used for duelling but a dedicated option would be fine .

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Trust me, with the way crypto hashes work, there isn't. At least, not with the split-second return it gives you when it isn't valid. And since there seems to be a different message for when a password WAS used, but isn't anymore, they clearly are tracking it with account names too.

Unless you have solid evidence against it, rather than just your own personal opinion, I would recommend trusting that ArenaNet knows what they are doing when it comes to passwords. There are other ways to accomplish what they do besides storing every password in a giant plaintext file.

They strive to make the accounts as secure as possible, ie: optional authenticators, and this "blacklist" that they form is another step to minimize the risk of accounts being compromised.

nataku

Oh man, I barely finished the Wayfarer's Reverie in GW1 with not even 5 minutes left. I thought I had plenty of time, but the second to last area to visit in EOTN forces you to go through a dungeon where you need to have a quest activated plus look for dungeon keys to progress. I wasted so much time on that.

DraganBlack

Neo Member

from a technical standpoint it is possible (and likely) that they have both the passwords in the account table (probably as a salted hash) and another table where all passwords ever used are stored in plain text.

if the games database becomes compromised the plain text passwords won't be of any use since it is impossible to link the plaintext password to any account.
the plaintext passwords might help with a dictionary attack, though (but even then they'd have to try millions of passwords for every account)

also: long time lurker here posting for the first time

Thorgal

from a technical standpoint it is possible (and likely) that they have both the passwords in the account table (probably as a salted hash) and another table where all passwords ever used are stored in plain text.

if the games database becomes compromised the plain text passwords won't be of any use since it is impossible to link the plaintext password to any account.
the plaintext passwords might help with a dictionary attack, though (but even then they'd have to try millions of passwords for every account)

also: long time lurker here posting for the first time

Welcome to GAF!

Remfin

The problem I have is the "currently used/was used" messages. Which means they can tell the difference, which means they can update it. I don't know how else you could do that besides linking them.

It's clear you guys won't believe it unless they come out and just say it. But for the people who understand crypto(hashing) and the features of the system we can observe from their web forms, they're all cringing.

Yo GW2GAF!

So I haven't played in a really long time. One of my friends recently got the game and I thought I'd play with him. I loaded up one of my characters and boy there's been a lot of changes! For example now traits unlock at level 30?

Anyway, I'm wondering how the classes have changed? Which classes are good in PvP? PvE?

I want to play my necromancer but I have no idea what's changed...or if my condition based build is good for PvE or PvP still...

So essentially, could someone guide me to a list of builds good for PvE for different professions?

Thanks!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The problem I have is the "currently used/was used" messages. Which means they can tell the difference, which means they can update it. I don't know how else you could do that besides linking them.

It's clear you guys won't believe it unless they come out and just say it. But for the people who understand crypto(hashing) and the features of the system we can observe from their web forms, they're all cringing.

What I'm reading you say...
t15lozC.gif

But my head is saying that you probably don't understand what ArenaNet uses.

Retro

Yo GW2GAF!

So I haven't played in a really long time. One of my friends recently got the game and I thought I'd play with him. I loaded up one of my characters and boy there's been a lot of changes! For example now traits unlock at level 30?

Anyway, I'm wondering how the classes have changed? Which classes are good in PvP? PvE?

I want to play my necromancer but I have no idea what's changed...or if my condition based build is good for PvE or PvP still...

So essentially, could someone guide me to a list of builds good for PvE for different professions?

Thanks!

Heya,

Yep, if you haven't played in a while, you've missed a lot of updates; 34 since launch, plus one feature update (two as of next week).

If you want to know exactly how each class has changed, go here and click the appropriate class icon; http://reess.carina.uberspace.de/gw2-patchnote-search/

The short version is, everyone is doing remarkably well balance wise, though there's still plenty of lingering issues left to fix. I can't think of any profession that is bad in PVP or PVE in the right hands (it's more important who's playing rather than what class). There still a stigma attached to Rangers, but that's just the community being kind of... yeah.

As for decent builds, try http://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2Builds

Really though, for PVE, unless you're running with a pack of snobby speed runners, whatever you want to run will probably be fine (And if you're in GAFGuild, definitely will be).

Heya,

Yep, if you haven't played in a while, you've missed a lot of updates; 34 since launch, plus one feature update (two as of next week).

If you want to know exactly how each class has changed, go here and click the appropriate class icon; http://reess.carina.uberspace.de/gw2-patchnote-search/

The short version is, everyone is doing remarkably well balance wise, though there's still plenty of lingering issues left to fix. I can't think of any profession that is bad in PVP or PVE in the right hands (it's more important who's playing rather than what class). There still a stigma attached to Rangers, but that's just the community being kind of... yeah.

As for decent builds, try http://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2Builds

Really though, for PVE, unless you're running with a pack of snobby speed runners, whatever you want to run will probably be fine (And if you're in GAFGuild, definitely will be).

Are rifle/gun warriors still good? I remember when I was playing they were great in PvP. Wouldn't mind leveling a warrior.

Retro

Are rifle/gun warriors still good? I remember when I was playing they were great in PvP. Wouldn't mind leveling a warrior.

Rifle is still decent (in fact, some changes earlier this year made "Sniper" builds popular), but it's going to be tweaked a bit next week so hold that thought. In fact, Warriors are probably in the best place of any profession right now, really solid.

Is there a GW2 website where you can keep track of the personal story missions you've done? After the new character sale I decided to get 3 more to finish the professions. I've been using this PDF flowchart and circling all the branch points pretty much using the PDF viewer's pencil tool, lol. Looks like a child's drawing with all the scribbles. Interestingly, don't bother helping the ogres more than once. They don't have any branch points.

Rifle is still decent (in fact, some changes earlier this year made "Sniper" builds popular), but it's going to be tweaked a bit next week so hold that thought. In fact, Warriors are probably in the best place of any profession right now, really solid.

I think I just prefer melee characters with giant bulky armor in general. My only 80 is a guardian after all!

I received a couple "get character to 20" items in the mail from anet for my gw2 anniversary or something, so that's nice.

My thief (Lizandra Giovanetti) hit 60 this weekend! I admit that I will be sad to lose permablind from Pistol Skill 5 when the feature pack hits.

Jira

Where's adriaaa, he's probably had a heart attack over the mini features. Also, it's likely all but guaranteed the last one is a TP overhaul. I'm guessing tomorrow is going to be a UI revamp of collectables and maybe more item types will be allowed to be stored in there.

Where's adriaaa, he's probably had a heart attack over the mini features. Also, it's likely all but guaranteed the last one is a TP overhaul. I'm guessing tomorrow is going to be a UI revamp of collectables and maybe more item types will be allowed to be stored in there.

Why would adriaaa care about that?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New achievements will also now be available for completing Wardrobe account unlocks for the series 1, 2, and 3 minis.
nom nom nommm
Best of all, any mini can now be previewed from the Trading Post, inventory, and chat links!
That's a soft-deploy of what must be considerably more robust item code capabilities. should be good stuff.

Anno

Would someone be so kind as to buy me a mini Teq? I'll pay you back plus some when I log on tonight in about 6 hours. It's really the only mini I want that much that I don't have and I imagine it'll soon be very much more expensive.

My personal investment to gear up for the Minipocalypse:

OIXm1et.jpg

ccs-1-0-48339900-1390367025.jpg

They're cute, they're very detailed, they glow nicely in dark areas, and you can't get them from the game anymore. They also swim very cutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom