• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks guys but I'm still not sure what I'll make ._. Although I am slightly leaning towards zerker, kind of the "safer" option and might supplement it with defensive runes if I find it hard to survive.
depending on your laurels you could also get a set of tanky trinkets to swap out for more versatility.

I sort of doubt I'll ever craft an Ascended armor set. I hope I can get to the minimum AR needed somehow without needing a full one.

Ashodin

depending on your laurels you could also get a set of tanky trinkets to swap out for more versatility.

I sort of doubt I'll ever craft an Ascended armor set. I hope I can get to the minimum AR needed somehow without needing a full one.

It helps out a LOT, and I want to make it a long term goal of mine.

Levyne

Banned
I was rambling at some point about how the new-er AR system is so (seemingly) messy. Multiples of 5 based on the number of slots was so neat and orderly. I know I'm exaggerating the complexity of the newer system but I'm just being dramatic.

Potentially incorrect math here: I guess without armor or weapons and assuming you have the gold to blow, you can have 21 (16+5) on each ring and the backpiece. So that's 63 plus 5x3 (accessories and amulet) would be 78 as the maximum trinket only amount. Assuming the goal is 70 ar and you put 10 ar on your weaponset, you need 60 on the trinkets. 30 for the vanilla slots (6x5) means you'd need agony infusions of 10 on each to hit 70.

Currently double checking the post. Edit: I think I have it, but I'm also a dumbass.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh I like Knight's armor. Good choice IMO, though I'm not a guardian expert. Wish it was power primary but it's still a good set. I guess you could make a blend, if you wanted, right?

edit: ^
hmm. 6 +10 infusions is probably prohibitively expensive.

Levyne

Banned
It would be 3. Only the rings and backpiece.

Weapon 10
Trinket Infusion slots 6x5 =30
Agony Slots (rings and backpiece) 3x10 =30

=70

Though getting the slot in the backpiece has a cost of an ecto stack and 500 relics or whatever too. Some hidden costs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It would be 3. Only the rings and backpiece.

Weapon 10
Trinket Infusion slots 6x5 =30
Agony Slots (rings and backpiece) 3x10 =10

=70

Though getting the slot in the backpiece has a cost of an ecto stack and 500 relics or whatever too. Some hidden costs.
Oh that's right. Actually potentially doable then.

Although it makes me wonder, what are you looking at in terms of the play experience if you have say 67 AR in Fractal 50, rather than 70?

Grudy

Oh that's right. Actually potentially doable then.

Although it makes me wonder, what are you looking at in terms of the play experience if you have say 67 AR in Fractal 50, rather than 70?

Nothing too bad imo, you'll get 6% of the agony damage instead of 1% so if you watch yourself and keep your health up at bosses it won't be too bad.

I made a new warrior.

Meet Lumpus Maximus.

6eTwO5G.jpg

Mxrz

Sorry for asking twice, but should I make zerker or soldier's ascended gear for my guardian to play at level 50 fractals? What's the meta with guardians these days?

I made both. One for PvE. One for WvW. Would not recommend anything without power as the primary. Mostly due to consumables and how crit damage works. If its pure PvE, I'd go full zerk. If you're worried, mix in soldier trinkets since they're easier to obtain than armor. Once you learn the mobs' attacks, you'll know when to dodge, what to reflect and all that. PvE is more about memorizing when to do stuff and where to stand.

Morokh

Fun fractal run tonight ! first one since ... 2012 for me xD
Mai Trin wasn't THAT bad (but intense)

Can I do something with the +1 agony infusions I got there (other than stick it in my ascended ring/trinkets ? )

Levyne

Banned

Can I do something with the +1 agony infusions I got there (other than stick it in my ascended ring/trinkets ? )

You can either just tp it for some silver or collect some to pair up and combine into a higher infusion.

Zeroth

It was pretty much a stealth nerf since it's undocumented. It's the kind of thing you would only realize if you did mai pre-patch and post-patch frequently.

Hard Mai Trin's Teleporting Shot wiped us on multiple occasions. If everyone was standing close together, it was near guaranteed that they were all going down together.

And then there was her Electric Blast that would drain 50%+ of your health in a single hit. And her close range sword work was even nastier too. Bleeds, bleeds, bleeds.

Those were a couple of intense weeks of GAFractals.

Ashodin

I love her shot, because it's the pinnacle of GW2 combat in its essence - there's no telegraphed red spot beneath you, you just have to see her shoot or see the lightning spark coming your way to avoid or block it.

Yeah we did much better than when callunah and I did fractal 1 with pugs.

I took the time to explain every part but in the end we had to let the other 3 die so callunah and I can finish the dungeon.

Great run today with my boys Vyrance and morkoh and my girls callunah and ambrel.

Remfin

Megaservers
Districts
There needs to be a clear way to identify where you are in the game. Megaservers are awesome and they've breathed a lot of life into the game, but having guilds split up across different servers (that then become full) for missions is getting old fast, as are things like Tequatl fights being either "Full or fail". I don't even need the ability to change between them (though that would be for the best), but just being able to identify them and then figure out who needs a ferry (rather than "Can you see commander xyz?").
You can work around this with the Mumblelink stuff, but personally I haven't bothered to make mine until I see OAuth is actually happening (it's been Soon™ for like over a year now).

Free Transmutes on White Items
Doing away with Town Clothes, I get it. It was a clunky system. Outfits aren't much better, but I have a feeling they've got plans for these that merited the changes. But there's still a lot of gear that would be nice to have access to for shits and giggles, and since almost nobody wears white gear for anything but leveling (where you replace it so quickly Transmuation charges are wasted) or roleplaying, it seems like a nice compromise.
That'd be great, or some way to unlock things in a more permanent fashion (like the Radiant/Hellfire stuff).

More involved Crafting
GW2's crafting is functional, but it's boring and people use it to grind out levels more than they do to make something useful. Vanguard still has the best crafting system, where each time you made an item it felt more like turn-based combat, where your enemy is chance and the complexity of changing one thing into another by force. A sword wasn't just 'gather the ingredients and click Create', you had to bring tools and special items to fight any complications that cropped up, from the forge going cold to the accidentally spilling material. You had a finite amount of Action Points (energy), so if you took a turn to stoke the forge, that meant less points to spend perfecting your sword and the quality would be lower.

Sadly, that game is dead and there aren't any quality videos of it without horrible narration. But anyone who played it will agree; the game was an awful mess, but it had a ton of great ideas.
EQ2 originally had that (and it still has a vague thing like that). It was really hit or miss though. The big problem with GW2's crafting I think is things like intermediates have no purpose/you have no reason to want to keep them, and the leveling system is just dumb.

Ashodin

hey so, can anyone remind me or explain to me, how kasmeer lost her noble title in the first place?

edit:

Kasmeer Meade is formerly a noble. Kasmeer’s mother died when she was young, and her family fell on hard times when her father was murdered in debtor’s prison after spending everything to pay off the debts of her brother, Kyle, in early 1326 AE.

You ain't rich, you ain't a noble.

It's why Kasmeer has no clothes either

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
How's the player base in this game doing nowadays? Is there still a lot of leveling/questing going on, or is everyone just doing endgame stuff? Thinking of picking it up, but don't know if it's worth it at this point. Was having the MMO itch and decided to pick up TESO, but it just isn't cutting it for me really.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How's the player base in this game doing nowadays? Is there still a lot of leveling/questing going on, or is everyone just doing endgame stuff? Thinking of picking it up, but don't know if it's worth it at this point. Was having the MMO itch and decided to pick up TESO, but it just isn't cutting it for me really.
not a concern for that stuff by a long shot- join and play with us on Stormbluff Isle!

Mxrz

Game doesn't have "End game" by traditional standards. People are all over. The scaling system does away with the "80s do 80s content!' - If you're on the fence, wait for the game to go on sale again. Happens fairly often.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And complete! Getting my Mawdry II was a very enjoyable endeavor. I hope Anet adds more like this

phTlAV9.jpg
ahhh congrats!

I think the spirit of the collections update today indicates that they are totally down with pursuing this kind of incremental reward style.

I think I may wait til after the feature pack to start in on making mine.

Morokh

The funny thing about this for me is that by doing map completion I came across two of the items needed for that found in jumping puzzles / mini dungeons completely randomly.

Also I got one special fractal thing used in crafting it yesterday .... I think the game is trying to tell me something ... :p

Speaking of map completion, I have two maps to go : Iron Marches and Fireheart Rise, then ... WwW, hoping I'll get lucky during the tournament !

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
not a concern for that stuff by a long shot- join and play with us on Stormbluff Isle!

Game doesn't have "End game" by traditional standards. People are all over. The scaling system does away with the "80s do 80s content!' - If you're on the fence, wait for the game to go on sale again. Happens fairly often.

Thanks guys, I'll probably end up picking this up tomorrow or over the weekend. I love some of the armor and weapon models in this game. Can't wait. :)

leng jai

So somebody bought all the Giant Eyes and there's 6 left on the TP starting at 33g. This has to be one of the most idiotic drop rates in the history of MMOs. Well done Arenanet!

Katoki

Good thing I didn't list mine. At least now I know I can put mine up for 25g a pop and maybe eventually someone will pay for it.

Minamu

Speaking of map completion, I have two maps to go : Iron Marches and Fireheart Rise, then ... WwW, hoping I'll get lucky during the tournament !
Jump into each map and look for a commander. I tried doing most of the maps on my own and that sucked and took several days. Then I found a really good commander and I blasted through 2,5 maps in less than 3 hours (even though I had already done most of the POIs before). Following a Commander makes it super easy (and I suppose I've been lucky with my server being the clear leader for a long time).

Retro

David Ortiz (EU Community lead) posted this morning, and apparently it mentions something about saving build templates. The original post in Spanish can be found here. Here's the (awkward) Google translation:

I'm not going to discuss the MegaServidor in the thread , as I explained a few times how it works , which is not merging servers. If so have fewer servers in the list of worlds and is not the case .

That said, what says McFadyen , saving system builds is not only on track but it PvP team has commented numerous times on live broadcasts . Perhaps the problem is that this information will not come properly and this is clearly a problem for us.

On the population of the game, without addressing the numbers , I can comment that , in general, the EU is more than healthy population compared to the USA . The theme MegaServidor and their righteousness is more by the desire to optimize resources and the current distribution of population due to lack of players , which is not at all the case in the United States .

Sorry for not being able to give more data, understand the negative comments but I think it is interesting to explain a little how it is working all within my capabilities .

Finally , on the forum and other negativity . It's something I always say, but with the data in hand, the number of people reviewing ( in general, not just negatively) on this forum is a very small fraction of the number of active players right now. I mention this only to provide some information to the claims that were discussed earlier, nothing more.

A greeting .

Given the translation, I'm not sure if it can be taken as fact, but... well, there it is.

I probably have three or four different builds I use for fractals alone, so it would be nice to be able to swap between them with a simple click or two. And then there are builds for Tequatl and other world bosses, and builds for dungeons, and builds for solo PvE, and builds for WvW...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The massacres done by the fire shaman were so much fun.
I would play the hell out of a massively multiplayer game that unabashedly followed that design ethos through to production. The chance of taking a wrong turn and running face first into something that will absolutely massacre you, only to come back much later and vanquish it with growth and skill, that shit hits the spot for me, Souls-style. But for sooooome people, having a boss like that in a newbie zone is just zomgsounacceptable.

Fire Ele was like the best thing ever in the Betas, but at least its current form is better than the uber-babby version we had between then and now. The bad version, I saw it die before getting a hit in while standing right next to it a couple times.

edit: Templates are a matter of time thing, sad it won't be this feature pack, but whaddyagonnado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom