• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

I can agree with that. Logged into DDO recently. I genuinely liked the game itself, but people bitching about GW2's gem-stuff have no fucking clue what F2P is really like. Its annoying reddit/official forums have devolved into constant whining, but oh well. Game is good, life is good.

Grudy

Lots, but almost always full berserker of some sort. The only builds I haven't really messed with in PvP are full bleed/condi ones. D/P steal with mug and stealthseeker is a blast.

My favorite is S/P burst for bunker buster/interrupt-type dps. This would be the closest "meta" one I've seen, though I do not use the Lyssa rune/Basilisk combo, which is great and definitely worth considering for condi removal (I retain Hide in Shadows and take more of a "live to fight" approach if I run into condi spam alone). killing people during the recharge on their heal skill after interrupting it is one of those things that will never, ever get old to me. I also find Infiltrator's Strike/Return to be one of those skills I feel totally naked without in PvP, so more often than not I forego the big numbers from backstab.

I have some ideas for tweaks to my S/P build I'd like to try out tonight too based on this tankier one... still don't plan to forego any damage, or use Lyssa runes, but I might try Signet of Agility + Signet use trait, Sigil of Paralyzation, and/or switch hide in shadows for withdraw, see how it feels to change up what I use for condition removal and rely less on stealth. Since Tactical Strike is split from PvE to just 1.5s in PvP I might be okay neglecting stealth and focus on being able to pump out an extra, lengthened stun Pistol Whip instead, maintaining a pure damage focus.
I have never seen using something beside D/P and S/D in PvP (probably because I'm only level 20). The S/P build is the first thing I'm checking out once I get back home, I use it a lot in PvE but I always thought pistol whip is hard to land in PvP as opposed to PvE enemies due to all the movement, and it's kind of slow in a sense. I'll give that build a try nonetheless.
I've been watching WoodenPotatoes videos a fair bit lately. Man, there's some really cool lore in the Guild Wars universe. I think their world building is far better than their moment-to-moment storytelling.

Gimme dat Wizard's Tower dungeon, ANet.

As a lore-junkie I completely agree. Anet are sitting on a gold mine of interesting and mysterious happenings in the world of Tyria that they just completely ignored the first year for the sake of Scarlet (who's story I actually liked, just the way they handled it was horrendously bad).

On a side note, Woodenpotato's video series of Prophecy's story is unbelievably good and I recommend it to anyone with even a slight interest in the guild wars universe. Especially with the possibility of the towers in the latest pale tree vision being Mursaat Towers, with the purple shattering crystals also relating to Mursaat enemies if I remember correctly.

Side, side note: Rata Sum is an anagram of Mursaat.

Jira

Not exactly. It would need to be twice to size, shown on login, shown on half the dialogue boxes involving any kind of transactions, shown on the inventory, and have an animated sheen to draw your eye to it. And be bright pink, purple, or gold. *

* I'm currently playing a fuckton of F2P mmos. The upcoming TP button is harmless by comparison. People are throwing a shitfit over nothing, because they love to whine.

This is so true it hurts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have never seen using something beside D/P and S/D in PvP (probably because I'm only level 20). The S/P build is the first thing I'm checking out once I get back home, I use it a lot in PvE but I always thought pistol whip is hard to land in PvP as opposed to PvE enemies due to all the movement, and it's kind of slow in a sense. I'll give that build a try nonetheless.
Well first of all I'm only like 22 myself, I believe XD I'm not particularly serious about it (I don't get into hardcore competition in any game, really), and only started playing regularly after the first Feature Pack. So a lot of what I say is probably Not Meta Approved Stuff, and definitely view it as such.

Pistol Whip in PvP... it takes a lot of practice, but it can be devastating when you can land it consistently- especially when you recognize tells to interrupt (Healing Signet active is now "Come Stun Me!"). Remember that you can move DURING the wind-up, and also, well... think about what skill 2 (Infiltrator's Strike) does, and how that might relate to a skill that needs to connect with its initial hit. You also need to know when not to use it and use Headshot, which has no wind-up time, for the interrupt instead.

Furthermore it's important to remember all the properties of the skill. If you hit, you can cancel it and use it again to keep a player stunlocked in place of higher burst. If you whiff the stun, you can cancel it right away- so you're not stuck in place. If you whiff, don't cancel it, and are still in melee range, you'll do plenty of damage even if it's just half of the strikes or less. If you whiff, don't cancel, and aren't in range, it's still a 1.25 second evade, which can easily screw up someone's DPS rotation or condition stacking. Amazing skill, I love it to fucking pieces. The only downside is the high initiative cost, split from PvE specifically cause of how amazing it is ;_;

S/D is a mainstay for a reason of course. I rely on Thrill of the Crime/Bountiful Theft for boon stripping, and it's not really sufficient- more of a "get lucky sometimes" approach to that aspect of combat. Against boon-heavy guardians or warriors an S/D build is much more consistent- I need to get off some key interrupts to succeed.

I actually also like P/D in PvP and sometimes take it instead of Shortbow when running S/P. It's not the superior option by any stretch, but it is effective sometimes because people aren't expecting it. With a sigil of energy it's a perfect escape set that has really similar damage and utility potential to SB, plus another immobilize/vuln stacking and stealth without needing a field from the other set. It's a little tricky to use though. Shadow Strike -> Steal -> Shadow Strike is also a fantastic low-risk finisher because people low on health ignore the Torment and just run away.

edit:

xbgHQy3.png
!

omg *swoon*

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
one of us etc etc

zomg Trading Post revamp!!!!
y6mc8XI.jpg

Hawkian said:
I hope they get the appropriate credit for this. I wonder if they've decided to eschew Ruby on Rails or simply started from scratch with it.

Not only that, but they remade the fucking browser engine in order to optimize the initial loading. That is HUGE for such a relatively small improvement. Maaaaaaaaaddd props Anet.

hythloday

Oh that makes sense.

wait a minute... we are being watched here? WE ARE BEING WATCHED BY THE DEVS?

D: i think i cant post anymore.

I know, I feel like I should have done my hair or something, it's like we suddenly have fancy company and we're serving them kool-aid instead of a fine wine.

Also this just happened in my house:

"Fine we can order pizza but there's a condition attached."
"I have condition-removing shouts!"

Trey

I've been watching WoodenPotatoes videos a fair bit lately. Man, there's some really cool lore in the Guild Wars universe. I think their world building is far better than their moment-to-moment storytelling.

Gimme dat Wizard's Tower dungeon, ANet.

I think literally everyone agrees. I love the world, I love the lore, but watching it play out is boring at best.

Remfin

LotROs cash shop was incredibly in-your-face too.
It could be a little in your face, but it was actually fair.

I turned $10 Mines of Moria box into owning the entire game without ever paying a dime or really even trying. You could actually earn enough points to buy the things you needed through the game, which is more than you can say for almost any F2P.

I turned $10 Mines of Moria box into owning the entire game without ever paying a dime or really even trying. You could actually earn enough points to buy the things you needed through the game, which is more than you can say for almost any F2P.

It seems to be getting better, at least in F2P on the PC that isn't Korean-based. Firefall, Marvel Heroes, STO, Warframe - all let you earn pretty much everything (except some cosmetic stuff) in-game, and it doesn't take forever or involve an insane amount of grinding either. I got my Rhino warframe in Warframe in less than a month, I got Rocket Raccoon in Marvel Heroes in a few weeks, etc. I think, overall, the F2P situation is getting better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
so warframe isn't p2w?

booo ash is out for pvp tonight. Well if anyone wants to play, i'll be on in 10 or 15 mins.

Jira

new launcher inc

Are you sure this isn't the launcher China has always had? Besides, the way this is laid out is VERY much based on the way China lays out all of its gaming sites and how information is presented. It's very different from how we consume information here. Our launcher is very clean and minimalistic without a bunch of crap cluttering the whole thing like a spastic Chihuahua barking at your feet "LOOK AT ME OH GOD PLEASE LOOK!".

markot

Banned
Shouldn't a feature patch add.... Features? And not just fix broken shit...

Maybe don't wait so long to make a big psych and just fix for as it comes up? I guess you can't pretend it's a great new content addition though.

so warframe isn't p2w?

booo ash is out for pvp tonight. Well if anyone wants to play, i'll be on in 10 or 15 mins.

Warframe is very much the Monster Hunter style of game. Do missions (all co-op), get resources. Kill certain bosses over and over to get the blueprints to make specific frames or weapons.

You can buy those frames up front with money, sure, but you'd be doing that so you can... farm bosses to make new warframes. So it doesn't make much sense to me. The cosmetic stuff is nice, I can see why people spend money on it.

As far as third person shooters (with mild melee/action combat) go, Warframe's come a hell of a long way. The next big update is supposed to add space combat too, with Zone of Enders esq movement attachments for your warframes. Neato.

Shouldn't a feature patch add.... Features? And not just fix broken shit...

tumblr_n6q1n8PoPe1tvvj2vo1_500.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Warframe is very much the Monster Hunter style of game. Do missions (all co-op), get resources. Kill certain bosses over and over to get the blueprints to make specific frames or weapons.
oh, I had no idea it was meant to be like monster hunter, wow. Was looking at it completely differently.I actually had it in my head it was mostly pvp.

Zeroth

I would love to, but I'm not sure if we have any chance to win a pro PvP tournament
without moondrop and ultimateike

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
Just got the game and pretty clueless about classes atm. I'd like to roll a Ranger since I always go for a bow class first. I'd like to know if they're lacking in PvP because that's what I think I'll be spending a majority of my time doing.

Hawk and I are already in the PvP LLAMA PROPHECIES team, we need 3 more.

The next 3 to post their GW2 account name and email (signup page needs both of those for each player) should get into the team. There's also two substitute spots.

I'm going to say we are to prefer playing September 13/14. The only other choice is September 27/28 but that's too far!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dear Lump,

Llama please.

Kanik.5471

(I can private message my e-mail since I don't trust GAF detectives due to past issues with them.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would love to, but I'm not sure if we have any chance to win a pro PvP tournament
without moondrop and ultimateike
one rouuund

Great PvP tonight guys!

It's funny how different it feels on my classes. I love PvP on mes, but it's like, I struggle, sometimes I do well, sometimes I fail hard. On my thief, I can toy with people.

For Llama-tourney:
Hawkian.6580
thehawkian@gmail.com

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got the game and pretty clueless about classes atm. I'd like to roll a Ranger since I always go for a bow class first. I'd like to know if they're lacking in PvP because that's what I think I'll be spending a majority of my time doing.
Warriors can use longbows and thieves can use shortbows

edit:

oh, sorry

Rangers are amazing (and kind of annoying for me, a thief) in PvP. Check out spirits and roll away

Alright we got 5 for the team, and there's still 2 substitute slots available it looks like.

Team:
-------
Lump
Hawk
Adriaaa
Kanik
Eileen

Sub List:
--------
Molkar

These represent the first people to either post/PM me their account name / email for signing up for this tourney. It would be safe to get in a couple sub slots, but I also recommend making your own team if you couldn't get in! Looks like we had a lot of interest in this.

EDIT: Need one more for final substitute slot!

oh, I had no idea it was meant to be like monster hunter, wow. Was looking at it completely differently.I actually had it in my head it was mostly pvp.

They didn't even add PvP until recently, and nobody really plays it. Game is a co-op team shooter through and through.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
TP 2.0 has been in works for nearly 2 years according to Kate

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2fgql7/introducing_the_new_trading_post/ck9505b
I'm super happy this got announced on my last day here! Pat and I have been working on this for close to two years. Hope you guys enjoy it.

It seems someone on reddit did a little investingating and found out that Pat Cavit Web dev at Anet had already confirmed they were working on a TP 2.0 since February when he was at YUI Roundtable.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2fhpny/investigative_research_about_the_trading_post/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alright we got 5 for the team, and there's still 2 substitute slots available it looks like.

Team:
-------
Lump
Hawk
Adriaaa
Kanik
Eileen

Sub List:
--------
Molkar

These represent the first people to either post/PM me their account name / email for signing up for this tourney. It would be safe to get in a couple sub slots, but I also recommend making your own team if you couldn't get in! Looks like we had a lot of interest in this.

EDIT: Need one more for final substitute slot!
well there's ash,

Yeah even though Ash didn't post his email yet, I'll shove him in the second Sub slot since no one else in Guild chat seems to be biting yet. He'll be able to make his own team later if he wants to make sure he gets in on some pvp tourney action for sure.

I don't know the rules of this tourney, but it's possible the subs will get Llamas if they don't even play and the main team wins. That would be great.

Retro

Nice, quick fractal run tonight. Thanks guys.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't implying that it wasn't fair, just that there are big blue buttons to buy Turbine Points just about everywhere (including right in the action bar, as I recall). I didn't particularly care how you could have purchased different zones than your friends (as happened with my wife and I) and not be able to play together without someone coughing up dough, but that just took planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom