• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

Clarification on the build template system from David Ortiz on reddit.

Hey everyone, David here.
Just to clarify, the team is more than aware of the requests about build template system and I was just repeating what other members of the team have said in the past: Is a system we have on our list of things that we hope to add to the game at some point.

This might not be on an inmediate timeframe. I just don't want anybody to think this will be ready to ship by tomorrow, just hopefully some day, as discussed by the dev team before.

So... yeah. Things sounds no different than what they've said in the past.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yep. the pvp build interface is a good codebase to start with but they'll need to incorporate gear, so I'm not surprised it's a lot more work. i fully expect them to come someday just as they did to GW1 though.
"Hopefully some day" for a basic feature we should have had from day one. Too good.
save some for after lunch

How's the player base in this game doing nowadays? Is there still a lot of leveling/questing going on, or is everyone just doing endgame stuff? Thinking of picking it up, but don't know if it's worth it at this point. Was having the MMO itch and decided to pick up TESO, but it just isn't cutting it for me really.

I got back into it and am leveling a warrior with my fiance (who's an elementalist) and it's her first MMO. We've just been grouping up and leveling. Still seems fairly active at the lower teens and early twenty levels which is where we are.

Same boat pretty much, got the MMO itch but didn't feel like paying a monthly fee and then I remembered how solo friendly this game was and how easy it is to just run around and quest without having an actual quest log.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks gorgeous, and functional. The Delivery Box isn't even something I'd have thought about wanting, but it's perfect for the way I use the TP, personally.
It’s required a total rewrite of the Trading Post front end, but the results are worth it.
I hope they get the appropriate credit for this. I wonder if they've decided to eschew Ruby on Rails or simply started from scratch with it.

edit:
Filters-
XamcbJG.png

Anything that doesn't cover? Combined with Category/Subcategory selection ("Armor"), seems perfect.

edit: ha, there are more, not shown.
Bag size
Crafting discipline and level
Would never have even thought of those. Convenient.

Levyne

Banned
I never really had much in the way of issues with the current TP but if it's as functional with better searching then there's not much else to say.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I never really had much in the way of issues with the current TP but if it's as functional with better searching then there's not much else to say.
in all honesty neither did I, but I've heard nonstop complaints about it since launch, so yay!

edit:

Evon Gnashblade spent years and considerable resources building up the infrastructure necessary to allow you to sell your items from Tyria’s darkest and most inhospitable corners, and now you get to reap the rewards. I wouldn’t say he did it entirely for your benefit (that doesn’t sound like something he’d do), but it sure feels that way
I don't remember really hearing from Pat Cavit before, I would like to shake the dude's hand.

I had troubles! I mean, not really troubles but being able to filter by profession is amazing when you don't really know the "of the ___" moniker you're looking for.

Also, for crafting recipes at Heart Vendors throughout the world, is there a way to see WHAT the recipe is? Or at least what item will be created and the stats? I see the name but that doesn't help much in the game.

Grudy

Ugh, screw reddit, I'm really hating the community there these days. After all the complaining about the TP (which has always been good) the top comments I see there are about the "Get More Gold" button instead of all these quality improvements.

Edit: vv time to get back to item flipping.

Ugh, screw reddit, I'm really hating the community there these days. After all the complaining about the TP (which has always been good) the top comments I see there are about the "Get More Gold" button instead of all these quality improvements.

That community is pretty terrible for this game. It's almost always negative. It used to be full of cool screenshots and guides and such back in the first few months of launch, I've kind of stopped paying attention to it.

BUT, what exactly does the "Get More Gold" button do? I looked at the release and it doesn't say anything, is it just a Gem/Gold transaction/trade or is it something new?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wonder if they've decided to eschew Ruby on Rails or simply started from scratch with it.

Oops.. should have kept reading before posting
Definitely the most visible downside to that decision has been the slow initial loading for the entire Black Lion Trading Company panel. A huge part of the work we’ve done on improving the overall Trading Post experience has been focusing on performance from a technology perspective. To that end, we’re introducing a completely new browser engine into the game. When building the new Trading Post on top of this new, faster browser engine, we’ve also biased our technical decisions toward making things fast.
This is a big deal. Feel a little bad for them. A good chunk of the features in this pack are not sexy but took obviously substantial coding effort.

Levyne

Banned
That community is pretty terrible for this game. It's almost always negative. It used to be full of cool screenshots and guides and such back in the first few months of launch, I've kind of stopped paying attention to it.

BUT, what exactly does the "Get More Gold" button do? I looked at the release and it doesn't say anything, is it just a Gem/Gold transaction/trade or is it something new?

Probably just gems for gold, yeah. Maybe they'll have something set up that auto exchanges dollars for gold at the current rate.

Grudy

Oops.. should have kept reading before posting

This is a big deal. Feel a little bad for them. A good chunk of the features in this pack are not sexy but took obviously substantial coding effort.

It's even more impressing when you think that it was probably done by one or two Anet-ers at most.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

hell I didn't even notice that XD looks like it's just meant to mirror the original Buy More Gems button on the gem store http://snowulf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gw2-store.jpg ...

Probably just gives you 100g or so every time you click, I'd say

Jira

I have to say that I share the same feelings now. Even 1-2 months ago this wasn't the case, but the GW2 subreddit has gone to shit and is run by whiny, entitled babies. The amount of complaining about the Get More Gold button is just stupid. It's a small, unobtrusive way to message to many players that you can trade Gems for Gold. It's almost as if these people forget that ANet is a business and needs money in order to run the game and develop future content. If it were up to them, there would be nothing on the UI that would even let you go to the BLTC.

Also, a build holder template is in the plans for some point.

https://forum-es.guildwars2.com/for...s-que-seguiras-jugando-a-GW2/page/3#post99356

Hey everyone, David here.

Just to clarify, the team is more than aware of the requests about build template system and I was just repeating what other members of the team have said in the past: Is a system we have on our list of things that we hope to add to the game at some point.

This might not be on an inmediate timeframe. I just don't want anybody to think this will be ready to ship by tomorrow, just hopefully some day, as discussed by the dev team before.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Grudy

What thief build do you use Hawkian? I got into PvP recently with thief and I can't seem to get out of using D/P steal build, it's too good.

Rawk Hawk

I try to PvP a little each night, not sure my plans when I get home from work, but if I'm on I'll find out what lobby you are playing in and join. Actually want to play some Ranger, the only class I haven't touched at all yet, what better place to learn a class than while being pummeled by gaffers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lots, but almost always full berserker of some sort. The only builds I haven't really messed with in PvP are full bleed/condi ones. D/P steal with mug and stealthseeker is a blast.

My favorite is S/P burst for bunker buster/interrupt-type dps. This would be the closest "meta" one I've seen, though I do not use the Lyssa rune/Basilisk combo, which is great and definitely worth considering for condi removal (I retain Hide in Shadows and take more of a "live to fight" approach if I run into condi spam alone). killing people during the recharge on their heal skill after interrupting it is one of those things that will never, ever get old to me. I also find Infiltrator's Strike/Return to be one of those skills I feel totally naked without in PvP, so more often than not I forego the big numbers from backstab.

I have some ideas for tweaks to my S/P build I'd like to try out tonight too based on this tankier one... still don't plan to forego any damage, or use Lyssa runes, but I might try Signet of Agility + Signet use trait, Sigil of Paralyzation, and/or switch hide in shadows for withdraw, see how it feels to change up what I use for condition removal and rely less on stealth. Since Tactical Strike is split from PvE to just 1.5s in PvP I might be okay neglecting stealth and focus on being able to pump out an extra, lengthened stun Pistol Whip instead, maintaining a pure damage focus.

I've been watching WoodenPotatoes videos a fair bit lately. Man, there's some really cool lore in the Guild Wars universe. I think their world building is far better than their moment-to-moment storytelling.

Gimme dat Wizard's Tower dungeon, ANet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been watching WoodenPotatoes videos a fair bit lately. Man, there's some really cool lore in the Guild Wars universe. I think their world building is far better than their moment-to-moment storytelling.

yeah this has been the case like so forever it's not even funny. If you haven't, go check out the Soundless village in Ventry Bay and the nearby villages the Nightmare Court drove them out of (one has a journal of one member's progression into becoming Soundless). really effective world-building with some relevance to the current story arc as well.

edit:

Rubi's gonna be hosting POI! If you're reading this out there somewhere, congrats!

Thorgal

That would be post patch. If it was pre-patch mai, we wouldn't have been able to fight her with 3 people most of the time.

Ah ok . bit of a bummer though .

Now that my Aoe fields are back i can hopefully survive for at least 5 seconds during the cannon face when i meet her next time .

Lunar15

This is absolutely true. There's so much awesome lore in the game. It's one of the main reasons I fell in love with it. They really don't seem to want to do anything with any of it, for the most part, though.

Ashodin

As soon as I saw the "Get More Gold" button I KNEW reddit would rage. It looks EXACTLY like a "BUY MORE GEMS NOW" button you see in many crappy F2P games.

Retro

90% sure the Wizard's Tower is there to troll people. It is literally a giant, visible thing that's only there to taunt you with the potential for something cool to happen there, but like GW1 nothing will ever come of it.

Zeroth

This afternoon Ike and I tried to duo Honor of the Waves 1. We actually managed it pretty well, and learned a lot during it. Here's a video of our successful attempt at Troll. Took us about 3 tries to nail it down, but once we understood his mechanics it got pretty easy! Halfway through the Butcher Ike DC'd, but I managed to hold him on my own until he got back and we killed him in our first attempt.

As soon as I saw the "Get More Gold" button I KNEW reddit would rage. It looks EXACTLY like a "BUY MORE GEMS NOW" button you see in many crappy F2P games.

Not exactly. It would need to be twice to size, shown on login, shown on half the dialogue boxes involving any kind of transactions, shown on the inventory, and have an animated sheen to draw your eye to it. And be bright pink, purple, or gold. *

* I'm currently playing a fuckton of F2P mmos. The upcoming TP button is harmless by comparison. People are throwing a shitfit over nothing, because they love to whine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This afternoon Ike and I tried to duo Honor of the Waves 1. We actually managed it pretty well, and learned a lot during it. Here's a video of our successful attempt at Troll. Took us about 3 tries to nail it down, but once we understood his mechanics it got pretty easy! Halfway through the Butcher Ike DC'd, but I managed to hold him on my own until he got back and we killed him in our first attempt.
That is sweeeeet. Butcher must have been damn mindnumbing with only two people though.
Meet the newest member of the family : Trixx Mindblade .

My Mesmer .
Love her, love the wraith mask.

Zeroth

That is sweeeeet. Butcher must have been damn mindnumbing with only two people though.

It wasn't that bad, actually. His pattern is pretty easy to see and react to, and although the fight can take a while. We took about 15 minutes because we had a bad start and Ike DC'd, but I imagine it's possibly to cut down to 5 minutes or even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom