• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawk Hawk

Great PvP tonight guys!

For sure, had a great time. Good luck in the tournament!

EDIT: Also, checked the Wiki today, appears I was severely crippling my progression by only playing hot joins, evidently winning in a hot join game is the exact same rewards as losing in team arena? Yea definitely going to queue up in arena's from now on.

Minamu

Missed my first daily challenge reward in over two months yesterday :/ Great game! Gonna miss a few more now because I'm going on a road trip for a weekend gamejam instead :D

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Alright we got 5 for the team, and there's still 2 substitute slots available it looks like.

Team:
-------
Lump
Hawk
Adriaaa
Kanik
Eileen

Sub List:
--------
Molkar

These represent the first people to either post/PM me their account name / email for signing up for this tourney. It would be safe to get in a couple sub slots, but I also recommend making your own team if you couldn't get in! Looks like we had a lot of interest in this.

EDIT: Need one more for final substitute slot!

Artist rendering of tourney:

2Xmm7jJ.jpg

Levyne

Banned
Anet , If you are reading this , please turn this into a real weapon in the Game .

We already know they are reading this :p

Introducing the parody weapon set

Spear = Toothbrush
Dagger = Pair of scissors
Staff = Broom
Mace = chicken drumstick

etc

Man, I gotta get back into PVP, I really enjoyed what I did with my Guardian, but holding nodes just got old in pugs.

How are Warriors in basic PVP? That's what I'm leveling with the girl right now (she's an elem)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looking forward to today's POI. The trading post UX will be easy to get a feel for in demonstration, even if it's an internal build that's not the exact one we're getting. Good luck Rubi <3

On that note, here's wishing Kate all the best in her future adventures! Yesterday was her last day on the job.

Man, people can harp on how disappointing the contents of this patch are to their hearts' contentment, but it won't stop my mind being blown that this is coming on tuesday. 4 days! wvw tournament starts 3 days after. :>

How are Warriors in basic PVP? That's what I'm leveling with the girl right now (she's an elem)
stupid warriors are good at everything.

stupid warriors are good at everything.

Ha! That's good to hear. Hopefully I can get the hang of things like BGs and Arena in WoW with my Warrior back in the day. They have similar playstyles from what I can tell, just wasn't sure of their viability.

I love magic casters, I always love the animations, the outfits, they're my favorite characters in all the shitty sci-fi and fantasy novels I read ... but I am melee through and through when it comes to gaming, it just "clicks" for me.

Taffer

I love magic casters, I always love the animations, the outfits, they're my favorite characters in all the shitty sci-fi and fantasy novels I read ... but I am melee through and through when it comes to gaming, it just "clicks" for me.

I'll mention then that everyone can melee or use ranged attacks. Magically augmented melee attacks from a twig in a dress are as effective as a smacking from an armoured beefcake with a greatsword and help you get more use out of your GPU.

no, like, damn warriors are good at everyhing.

How would you know?

Zeroth

My biggest thing with warriors is that they feel pretty dull compared to other classes, but that's coming from someone who leveled an elementalist, a guardian and a necro to 80 before finishing his warrior. I feel they are the most forgiving class, perhaps more so than it really should.

It's hard to point any flaw to warriors (Anet came up with "can't get out of situations easily", which is extremely silly for anything but PvP), and in a way their "good at everything" can be annoying when you have classes that have crippling over-specializations like necromancer (hah).

Levyne

Banned
Might bite for the sake of curiosity.

What's the difference between the GOTY and the Trilogy ?

Pretty sure that :

Goty Edition = Original game (Later refered to as "Prophecies") plus some items

Trilogy = Prophecies + Factions + Nightfall (each is standalone)

(not on steam I guess) Platinum Edition = Prophecies + Eye of the North (Expansion)

sex sells

Oddly enough, this is no longer true. Most research I've seen on the topic claims that sex hasn't sold in a long, long time. Near naked women on covers, in lingerie, washing cars, etc - have shown to have zero impact on sales when compared to not using sexy women on things.

There are quite a few marketing myths still practiced, if only out of a weird allegiance to what people feel are established "rules". Kind of like how boy's toys are blue, and girl's toys are pink.

Ashodin

Oddly enough, this is no longer true. Most research I've seen on the topic claims that sex hasn't sold in a long, long time. Near naked women on covers, in lingerie, washing cars, etc - have shown to have zero impact on sales when compared to not using sexy women on things.

There are quite a few marketing myths still practiced, if only out of a weird allegiance to what people feel are established "rules". Kind of like how boy's toys are blue, and girl's toys are pink.

LEGO has been confirmed to outsell Barbie dolls now so the trend is bucking.

Levyne

Banned
So Trilogy + Eye, and you get everything ?

Yeah. Except maybe the items. Those items iirc are really only useful for decking out heroes (customizable npc allies) with free equipment. Since you can spawn multiple copies of each.

Edit: But I shouldn't even talk at length about those, completely not worth it. Go Trilogy and EotN.

I love, love, love the opening of Guild Wars Prophesies. Is that a common opinion? I'm considering picking those up just to experience that opening again.

For those interested, Guild Wars 1 is really not much like Guild Wars 2. Less action oriented. Heavy focus on which skills to bring out into the field. But the games are great in their own right, and the art of the game, in my opinion, still holds up years later.

Shanlei91

I like how the voice acting evolved as the series progressed:

"Ya, it's bad. We're not trying."
"It's intentionally bad! Like a martial arts flick!"
"We're kind of taking it more seriously."
"We hired the Brain. From Pinky & The Brain. Just got real."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
IHow would you know?
level 24 friend
My biggest thing with warriors is that they feel pretty dull compared to other classes
yeah noooo kidding :X I get it though, I mean I understand the appeal. it's just not my shtyle

At least I've been having fun with leveling because I can so confidently take on stuff that's technically way too high for me. I wasn't comfortable doing that with my thief until ~level 55

POI TIME! http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

I love, love, love the opening of Guild Wars Prophesies. Is that a common opinion?
yes. it's largely unmatched in online gaming, IMO.

My biggest thing with warriors is that they feel pretty dull compared to other classes, but that's coming from someone who leveled an elementalist, a guardian and a necro to 80 before finishing his warrior. I feel they are the most forgiving class, perhaps more so than it really should.

It's hard to point any flaw to warriors (Anet came up with "can't get out of situations easily", which is extremely silly for anything but PvP), and in a way their "good at everything" can be annoying when you have classes that have crippling over-specializations like necromancer (hah).

Leveling my Guardian to 80 and doing PVP/WvW and now reading about the Warrior class I probably should have went with this class to begin with. I'm alright with the "feeling dull", it's how you play a class that makes it exciting (IMO).

"Good at everything" ... I'm curious, do they have a a lot of snare escapes and gap closers later on?

Katoki

Leveling my Guardian to 80 and doing PVP/WvW and now reading about the Warrior class I probably should have went with this class to begin with. I'm alright with the "feeling dull", it's how you play a class that makes it exciting (IMO).

"Good at everything" ... I'm curious, do they have a a lot of snare escapes and gap closers later on?

Yep. Sword+war horn/great sword warriors are the fastest and most mobile class in a consistent manner. Sword leap is best leap. The movement skills themselves don't break snare but the warrior has traited war horn and the "Shake it off" shouts for that with relatively low cool downs.

I don't find warriors boring on my end either because I like hitting things and warriors do that very well.

Trey

Condition removal is the warriors one deficiency, but they can still do it. And that problem washes away quickly in team combat, which complements the warrior's superior knockdown capability and might stacking, never mind their inherent health/heavy armor bonuses.

Warriors also have a solid amount of movement options, 2 on GS alone. and their bow allows them to fight at range, while also having a pinning skill for chasing an opponent down.

Jira

Summary of the Feature Pack, but let's remember that there's NOTHING in the pack.

Hey everyone, with the feature pack dev posts coming to an end, I thought I would do a summary/list of all the changes announced so far incase you missed any of the dev posts.

Alternative link: http://dulfy.net/2014/09/05/gw2-sept-feature-pack-summary/

Balance Changes

Warrior & Thief

Engineer & Ranger

Elementalist & Mesmer

Guardian & Necro

sPvP Changes

Standard enemy models option – A standard Human model with a weapon set and a set of armor per profession and gender
Can be turned on by using the settings in the general options tab of your F11 menu
This option will only affect enemy models and won’t affect teammates.
Option only allowed in Team Arenas and Custom Arenas that allow Tournament Commands

PvP Exclusive armor
Two new sets of armor released for PvP exclusively: Glorious Armor and Glorious Hero’s armor
Glorious Hero is an exclusive reward to certain competitive tournaments hosted by Arenanet while Glorious Armor can be obtained by everyone from a repeatable Glorious Armor Reward track arriving with the Feature Pack.
Each time you complete the Glorious Armor Reward Track, you’ll be able to select a piece of Glorious armor to add to your wardrobe

WvW Changes

Siege Golem Mastery is joining the list of WvW ability lines.
Abilities include gain super speed after destroying a wall or gate, increase your golem’s offensive and defensive stats, adding AoE healing effect to your Shield Bubble skill, and gain access to the ejection seat.
If your golem takes lethal damage, ejection seat will cause the golem to explode, damage and knockdown nearby enemies while launching you to safety with invis and invulnerable buffs for a few seconds.
Siege Disabler added to Traps and Tricks Outfitter.
Thrown like a grenade and consume supply on use. Up on landing, it will temporarily disable all siege equipment within a radius of 450 for 45 seconds.
Disabled weapons cannot be used for the duration and all players manning the siege weapons will be forced off them. Siege golems are disabled for 20 seconds.
Traps and Tricks will now cost badges and coin instead of badges and karma
Commander tags are now account wide and have access to four colors (red, yellow, purple, blue). Costs increased to 300 gold but existing commanders will be grandfathered in.
New WvW Tournament starting on Sept 12, lasting only four weeks and unique matchups every week.
No world transfer lockout
Weekly achievement based on completing a small number of events in WvW.
Complete all four weekly achievement to unlock the meta achievement and earn the Mist Treader title.
Majority of the rewards will be dispersed at end of each weekly matchup based on your world’s performance. Weekly Matchup 1st place get 200 tickets, 2nd place get 150 tickets, and 3rd place get 100 tickets.
To be eligible for the weekly reward, you need to earn that match’s weekly World Contributor achievement and then talk to the Battle Historian NPC during the next week’s matchup. You must claim your rewards in the week following the matchup as rewards that are not claimed during the following week are forfeited.
Mistforged Hero’s weapon costs 300 tickets, Ascended accessory costs 200 tickets, Mini Dolyak costs 200 tickets etc.
On October 12 (5:15 pm PST), a dolyak statue will be appear and grant visitors a one time buff granting them increased WXP and XP gain for a short time. The duration of the buff will be determined by a world’s overall placement in the tournament with first place getting 5 hrs and those in 9-12 place getting 1 hr only.

Improvements/Crafting

Dungeon Instance Owner
Dungeon instance owner no longer exists and the dungeon will close when everyone leaves the instance.
Crafting UI
You can now open recipes and subcomponent recipes at the same time, allowing you to crafts the parts required for a recipe and faster navigation around the crafting interface.
Performance updates, most notable in large combat situations like WvW and PvE world boss events. Should result in an increase in frame rates as well.
New backpacks added to each crafting profession that have looks unique to that crafting profession. The backpack’s look progress as you advance and builds on top of what you’ve already made.
Combat Log overhaul
Can now be configured to filter incoming buff, heals, dmg, interrupt, and outgoing buff, heals, damage, interrupts etc
Different colors for different damage/heals (green for heals, red for crit dmg, and purple for condition dmg)
Summon pets dmg now appear as damage
Player skills are displayed as chat links

Guilds/Megaserver

Global guild system
Everything in your guild—your bank, merits, influence, and upgrades—is now global and shared across all worlds
The influence and the merits that your guild earned in each world will now be combined into your global guild (can go over the limit of 250 but you cannot earn anymore merits until the count gets back under that threshold)
Any upgrade you’ve unlocked on any world will be available in your global guild.If you’ve unlocked the same upgrade on multiple worlds, the influence and merit cost will be refunded.
All guild consumables unlocked on any world will be available in your global guild
The guild vault from the world that had the highest number of slots will become your global guild vault. Items from other world’s vault will be transferred to extra slots to withdraw from
Guild missions reservation system
Megaserver now prioritize guild members who are doing guild missions and reserve space for them but it is limited in scope so it will work best with small and medium sized guilds.
Ability to exit out of closing maps
When a certain map need to be closed down due to low population, players on that map will be given the option to move to a different map copy right away.
If you choose to volunteer to move to a new map, you will get Volunteer’s Blessing, which increases movement speed by 15%, karma gain by 5%, and experience from kills by 10% for 10 minutes
Better sort players by language in European megaservers but will not create megaservers unique to a specific language at this time

Leveling

New leveling gear added that extends to exotic level of rarity. Available as recipes for crafters and as mob drops. Also players are more likely to get loot drops that they can use.
New content direction system at the top right side of the screen, providing one clear location and arrow to guide players to exciting content.
Veteran players can disable this content direction system or select world complete mode to use it to direct you into areas for world completion
Content direction system won’t direct you to jumping puzzles, mini dungeons, legendary llamas etc.
Now every time you level up, there is a shiny badge that pops up where bouncy chests exists. Clicking on it will present a reward screen that will show you any new game systems you have unlocked by reaching that level.
Some game systems are now only fully unlocked when you reach a certain level
Rallying from a downed state only available at level 5 and above.
WvW and sPvP are unlocked at level 18 and 22 but experienced players can access it via Lion’s Arch or use hotkeys. The buttons will be hidden until you reach these levels but once the buttons are unlocked for one character, they will be visible to all future characters as well.
Some other features like weapon swapping and skill slot unlocks have been moved a bit
Your stats will now come in chunks after reaching a milestone rather than increase after every level.
Skill slots for weapons will be unlocked for all weapons simultaneously as you level up. This means that if you picked up a new weapon for the first time after already unlocking multiple weapon skill slots, you will automatically learn the skills for that weapon.
Personal Story is also now unlocked in chunks as part of a chapter. Personal story chapters also got updated rewards to make them worthwhile for completing. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline.The chapter rewards are not retroactive and only affect future characters.

Wardrobe/Minis/Finishers

Wardrobe Improvements
Search box added to all sections of the wardrobe It will filter available options by name as you type.
Outfits are now moved to their own section, separate from equipment skins.
Corner tabs are added to outfits you don’t own so you know when new or limited outfits are available or when something gets discounted for sales.
New tabs are added in the wardrobe for finishers and minis.
Finishers are now moved into the wardrobe and can be searched as well. You can now preview them as well, even the ones you don’t own.
Minis
All minis can now be treated as account unlocks in the wardrobe. Unlocking the mini will destroy that mini but it will be available to all characters on your account to equip with no additional cost.
You can still double click to summon and unsummon minis from the inventory but this does not unlock the mini to your account and does not fully equip the mini. it is just an easy way to see something in the world before you choose to unlock it.
Minis collection have been moved from the bank to the Hero panel. After the patch you will need to retrieve each mini from the bank collection tab individually and either chose to unlock it for your account or sell it. Once a mini is removed from the bank, the collection space for that mini in the bank will disappear.
New achievements will also now be available for completing Wardrobe account unlocks for the series 1, 2, and 3 minis.
Account unlocked minis have a show/hide box in the hero panel that summons and hide your currently equipped minis. Once shown, minis will appear in every map without need redeploy them.
Both locked and unlocked minis can now be previewed from the wardrobe, trading post, inventory and from chat links.

Items Collections/Achievements

Item collections is a new set of achievements with unique rewards that are tied to finding items and skins. The achievements can be found in the Collections section of the achievements panel and there are a number of hidden collections.
Every Items Collections achievement has reward items in addition to achievement points. The rewards could be new pieces of equipment, recipes, and functional unlocks.
There are three types of items collections
Automatic – Base set of collections visible when you look at the achievements panel
Discoverable – Become visible when you collect something that is part of that collection
Unlocked – Need to be unlocked by using an item before they can be seen or progressed.
Visit Rednax Youngblood in Lion’s Arch after the patch to get the coveted Collectible Spoon Box to start your Koutalophile collection which require you to collect spoons from renown vendors and dangerous locations.
There are three ways an item can be collected
Usable items are considered collected once they are used
Bound items are collected the moment they are bound (If you loot an item that is tradeable, you can either bind it to your collection or sell it on the TP)
Collectible skins are counted toward the achievements as soon as they become unlocked in your wardrobe
A collection may be just one type or include all three types of items
Item collections achievements are retroactive but useable items need to be used again and any items you own but got rid of will have to be obtained again.

The terms Collections and Collectible will refer to Item Collections. The old collections panel is now referred to as the Material Storage.

Achievements panel reorganized
All of the WvW, PvP, and Activity achievements are now located in the new Competitive achievement category.
All of the Region, Boss, and Dungeon achievements are now found in the General achievements category.

Trading Post

Trading Post have been reworked so now it loads faster with a new and faster browser engine.
Pick-Up tab has been removed with a new Delivery Box on the trading post UI to retrieve items. You still need to visit a Black Lion Trader NPC to pickup items.
Categories now exist on a persistent panel on the left side so it is easier to browse and jump between categories.
Search is now integrated with the persistent categories on the left, so you can easily narrow down your searches to just specific categories. Searching through the entirety of the Trading Post is still possible.
Expanded filter options
Category, rarity, level, available now, attributes, profession, weight filter for armor (light, medium, heavy), bag size, crafting discipline and level.
Filters are now applied to search results immediately, making it easier to know if you’re heading toward a useful result.
Trading Post also shows exactly which filter you applied above the list of results and you can easily remove any one of them by clicking on them.
New unified order dialog for buy/sell to help better understand the results of your actions. Now when buying or selling, you see your proposed listing reflected immediately in the UI alongside the existing listings.
When selling items to the Trading Post, items are now shown in the same order they appear in your inventory. All your equipped bags are shown on the left-hand side for filtering, just like categories when browsing.
Visibility of fees for using the trading post has been improved – new selling UI in the Trading Post explicitly calls out both the listing fee and the exchange fee

Combat log

The combat log will receive a major overhaul in its design and functionality.
Instead of being just toggled on/off, the channel can be further configured to show the following action separately:
Incoming Buff Damage
Incoming Healing
Incoming Damage
Incoming Interrupts
Incoming Mitigated Damage
Outgoing Buff Damage
Outgoing Healing
Outgoing Damage
Outgoing Interrupts
Outgoing Mitigated Damage
Critical hits are separately labeled
Damage numbers will be shown in different colors: Green for healing, orange for damage, red for critical damage, purple for condition damage
Player skills are displayed as chat links and provide more information on hover.
Ranger pets, necromancer minions and other summoned allies show up in the log but for now appear as if the player does the damage.

Zeroth

Oh, certainly, I'm just expressing how I feel. There are people out there who only play warrior, and have a lot of fun doing so. It's just not my thing, perhaps because I simply find its mechanics not as interesting as Guardian's. The wonder of opinions.

Shanlei91

If playing a Warrior, grab the trait that reduces weapon swap cooldown. Makes the class a million times more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom