• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, spoons are one sort of category to collect. Those expensive ghost weapon things are another. These are items that don't really fit into stacks or collection slots in an inventory (at least presently). This opens up the possibility for a lot of things.

Other possibilities:
- All 3 colored Spinal Blade ascended backpieces (this would be a bit evil; sprocket prices would get hilarious)
- Halloween set
- Toy weapon skin set
- Tonic collection
- Cake collection
- Lionguard Weapon Skins
- Bells collection

There are almost too many possibilities to speculate.

JonCha

Been getting back into GW2, almost level 70 as a Sylvari ranger. My current build is this, but having a quick look on the web, this build caught me eye and seemed to be transferable between PvE and WvW (which I'd prefer to do over PvP).

I really suck at tracking changes over time and how that affects builds. I guess what I want is a build I can rely on and build a single set of armour and weapons around. I'm not going to be playing to the extent that I can gain multiple armour sets and work on different builds.

Also I'll probably PM one of the officers for an invite into the GAF guild even though I'm in the UK. Nice to have people to talk to!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also I'll probably PM one of the officers for an invite into the GAF guild even though I'm in the UK. Nice to have people to talk to!
you can just post yoru account or character name in here too, if you'd rather!

I don't know what to do about Destiny.

I want the white ps4 bundle but I sort of spent half the money meant for that on PC stuff.

Moondrop

Banned
Been getting back into GW2, almost level 70 as a Sylvari ranger. My current build is this, but having a quick look on the web, this build caught me eye and seemed to be transferable between PvE and WvW (which I'd prefer to do over PvP).

I really suck at tracking changes over time and how that affects builds. I guess what I want is a build I can rely on and build a single set of armour and weapons around. I'm not going to be playing to the extent that I can gain multiple armour sets and work on different builds.
I like builds that are versatile between modes too, but a tanky condition ranger isn't really one of them. I play a tanky condi ranger in pvp, where you can out-attrition your foe while constrained to a capture point. But that build is significantly less effective in pve, with condition caps and other dps limitations, and wvw, where condi removal is plentiful and your conditions lack the flurry of application available to other classes.

So a critical build decision is the source of your damage. If you stick with condis, then I would prefer your old build to new; traps are viable (with traits in the second line) and shortbow is a better condi weapon that either one-hander.

But the other way to go about creating a versatile build is to base it around your favorite weapons sets, which would be my recommendation. Make sure you try greatsword; I neglected it at first but it's a very well-rounded set. In general a ranger can be flexible in their build: pick a favored weapon and utility, and then build around them. This helps your build not become completely outdated as the meta shifts.

hythloday

Thanks Retro, I will do next time I log in.

Quick question: does GAF Guild doe the guild megaevents?

We do the regular guild missions (Challenges, Puzzles, Rush, Bounty)

The "mega events" like Tequatl get done so reliably there's not been a need to use the guild trigger option. Stormbluff Isle does organized runs nightly.

Edit: Haw haw!! \/ \/ \/

Retro

Thanks Retro, I will do next time I log in.

Quick question: does GAF Guild doe the guild megaevents?

You mean Guild Missions? Yes, every Saturday at 9pm Eastern and Sunday at 3PM Eastern.

If you mean spawning the bosses like Karka queen and Taco, no; we don't generate enough influence to do so on a regular basis, though it's something we've discussed trying to organize in the future.

HELP! My wife is beating me again!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
feature pack does suck, we should probably all quit playing forever.

makeup missions in 3 hours though, come if you missed out last night or want to help those that did.

Morokh

Maaan was playing GW1, all was going good but now those nasty dwarves are kicking my butt :p

Any way to prevent those bastards to focus my healer right away ?

You already did that. Fractals man.

Fractals are just as much about the puzzle and adventure elements as the fights. And the fights become pretty forgiving after you've been there for a while.

I want to be dropped into a room with nothing but balls to the wall mob and boss encounters, one after another, where you are hanging on by a few hundred HP at the end of each.

A wipe would mean you get thrown back to the very beginning too. No retries from halfway.

you can just post yoru account or character name in here too, if you'd rather!

I don't know what to do about Destiny.

I want the white ps4 bundle but I sort of spent half the money meant for that on PC stuff.
Well if you do get a ps4, I'd suggest getting it at bestbuy this week. They're giving away their gcu program with every console. Gets you 20% off all new games for 2 years (up to 3 copies of each title, regardless of platform tho). I split a membership with my brother and friend and it's great if you buy games new (not used). Besides that I think gamestop is still giving $150 for 360 or ps3 toward a ps4

Side note, target's b1g1 25% off all game cards is back again

http://slickdeals.net/f/7185748-pre...25-off-at-target-in-store-only-back-again?v=1

JonCha

I like builds that are versatile between modes too, but a tanky condition ranger isn't really one of them. I play a tanky condi ranger in pvp, where you can out-attrition your foe while constrained to a capture point. But that build is significantly less effective in pve, with condition caps and other dps limitations, and wvw, where condi removal is plentiful and your conditions lack the flurry of application available to other classes.

So a critical build decision is the source of your damage. If you stick with condis, then I would prefer your old build to new; traps are viable (with traits in the second line) and shortbow is a better condi weapon that either one-hander.

But the other way to go about creating a versatile build is to base it around your favorite weapons sets, which would be my recommendation. Make sure you try greatsword; I neglected it at first but it's a very well-rounded set. In general a ranger can be flexible in their build: pick a favored weapon and utility, and then build around them. This helps your build not become completely outdated as the meta shifts.

Thanks for the reply - very helpful.

Well I like using the Axe because it hits nearby foes, and the daggar because of it's condition damage. I used the Shortbox too because if my skills are recharging on the axe I can quickly move to SB and continue applying condition damage. Maybe I should try a torch as an off-hand though - burning seems more effective than bleeding.

I will try a greatsword, maybe instead of the axe as the shorter range weapon.

I like using traps - to a degree. If find that they can be pretty one-dimensional in the sense that once they're all applied, there's not much more to do.

We do the regular guild missions (Challenges, Puzzles, Rush, Bounty)

The "mega events" like Tequatl get done so reliably there's not been a need to use the guild trigger option. Stormbluff Isle does organized runs nightly.

Edit: Haw haw!! \/ \/ \/

You mean Guild Missions? Yes, every Saturday at 9pm Eastern and Sunday at 3PM Eastern.

If you mean spawning the bosses like Karka queen and Taco, no; we don't generate enough influence to do so on a regular basis, though it's something we've discussed trying to organize in the future.

HELP! My wife is beating me again!

I meant things like Tequatl, yeah, which I've done twice and has been organised to a tee so I can definitely see why you don't do them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You already did that. Fractals man.
not at all

bloody palace from dmc man.
Well if you do get a ps4, I'd suggest getting it at bestbuy this week. They're giving away their gcu program with every console. Gets you 20% off all new games for 2 years (up to 3 copies of each title, regardless of platform tho). I split a membership with my brother and friend and it's great if you buy games new (not used).
That's useless to me... I don't buy that many console games let alone at best buy.
Besides that I think gamestop is still giving $150 for 360 or ps3 toward a ps4
*eyes 360* now THAT.... hmmmm. do you know if it applies to the bundle?

$150 is more than I paid for my 360

edit: 250 or greater, pffft

Thorgal

Thanks for the reply - very helpful.

Well I like using the Axe because it hits nearby foes, and the daggar because of it's condition damage. I used the Shortbox too because if my skills are recharging on the axe I can quickly move to SB and continue applying condition damage. Maybe I should try a torch as an off-hand though - burning seems more effective than bleeding.

I like using traps - to a degree. If find that they can be pretty one-dimensional in the sense that once they're all applied, there's not much more to do.

I meant things like Tequatl, yeah, which I've done twice and has been organised to a tee so I can definitely see why you don't do them.

Just for reference SBI teq runs are done at 8 pm EST daily be sure to get there early .
The other Event tripple wurm is organized by another guild (TTS) and requires teamspeak .

BTW for future reference since i keep missing it : at what time does TTS do triple wurm event ?

Retro

I want something like the Cave of Ordeals or Savage Labyrinth from the Zelda games or the Pit of 100 Trials from Paper Mario.

Just floor after floor of increasingly difficult battles.

Preferably with both party of five and solo versions to challenge.

I was originally hoping for Fractals to be like PSO's Challenge Mode:
- Reset to level 1.
- All gear and spells removed.
- One life (an item in your inventory called a "Scape doll" that revives you if you die.)
- Harder enemies, in larger groups, in configurations that make them harder
- Puzzles that force you to split up to progress.
- Traps everywhere
- If one player dies without a Scape Doll, the entire group fails.

The catch; drops are fucking glorious, rare stat-boosting materials, kick ass rare weapons, armor with a ton of unit slots, top notch units... but none of it can be taken outside of Challenge Mode, so if a really awesome rare sword drops, you're compelled to give it to the Hunter (PSO's melee class) because he needs it to do his job. People are generous and work together or they die.

The rewards were great too; it was timed so that you got better rewards for getting through quicker, but just surviving to the end usually got you some decent loot.

I'd love to see them add a dungeon type to GW2 that did all of that, seems like the Mists could be a perfect excuse. It would have to be a completely new type of dungeon though, something where they layout of the dungeon can change each time so you're always on your toes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bought the Destiny bundle for midnight pickup in boca like a true madman. it's just too much my kind of game.

nataku

I was going to get Destiny, had it preordered for nearly a year, but Earth being only Old Russia annoys me enough to put off buying it until I see how they end up adding the other areas of Earth they originally had planned. I have a feeling it's going to be tons of DLC, and I don't really want to pay $100+ for all of it.

BraXzy

I was going to get Destiny, had it preordered for nearly a year, but Earth being only Old Russia annoys me enough to put off buying it until I see how they end up adding the other areas of Earth they originally had planned. I have a feeling it's going to be tons of DLC, and I don't really want to pay $100+ for all of it.

Yeah, I still can't make my mind up on the game. I've got a preorder down but I don't know if I'll end up buying it. I think I'll wait a few days and see what word of mouth is after the initial buzz.

That's useless to me... I don't buy that many console games let alone at best buy.
*eyes 360* now THAT.... hmmmm. do you know if it applies to the bundle?

I still have my 360 but it was mainly for my Halo collection.. and I'm getting the Master Chief bundle.. I also kept it for GTA V which I'll probably end up getting the remaster of so.. maybe if an offer comes along I might trade it too :L

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
trade ins for my 60gb were just silly. keeping it for now for splosion man :p

did you play the destiny beta at all? it's good sauce if you like the sound of halo + rpglootystuff.

BraXzy

trade ins for my 60gb were just silly. keeping it for now for splosion man :p

did you play the destiny beta at all? it's good sauce if you like the sound of halo + rpglootystuff.

Trade ins are always horrendous I suppose. I might give in if there is like a double money offer on trade ins or something. Rarely get decent offers over here though, with GAME being pretty much the only place that sells games on the high street.

I played the beta and I couldn't make up my mind on it. It looked great, and it played fine but none of the quests felt all that interesting, and exploring wasn't all that fun. But beta's are beta's so we'll see :3

Btw, are there any screenshots of what the new GW2 TP looks like? I didn't see the stream they showed it on, if they did show it?

Jira

Trade ins are always horrendous I suppose. I might give in if there is like a double money offer on trade ins or something. Rarely get decent offers over here though, with GAME being pretty much the only place that sells games on the high street.

I played the beta and I couldn't make up my mind on it. It looked great, and it played fine but none of the quests felt all that interesting, and exploring wasn't all that fun. But beta's are beta's so we'll see :3

Btw, are there any screenshots of what the new GW2 TP looks like? I didn't see the stream they showed it on, if they did show it?

Some here

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-new-trading-post/

Moondrop

Banned

You can stick with axe/torch+shortbow condis and be just fine in all content. Axe is nice for the pseudo-AoE of its bounce, but lacks clear purpose otherwise; post-feature patch they're adding might on hit, so I'm going to use it as a beastmastery weapon.

I'm not a big fan of offhand dagger, particularly for your purposes. It's an anti-personnel weapon: the dodge and crippling dagger are very pvp oriented, and you only ever really need one source of poison to mitigate healing. I use torch in my own pvp build; it's very effective if you're not bringing flame trap and it synergizes excellently with the combo finishers of short bow. Yes burning ticks harder than bleeding, but you want to layer both conditions if possible.

Ranger can do well by mixing utility types. E.g. bring just flame trap if you're going condi without torch, or just frost trap like my beastmaster build.

bought the Destiny bundle for midnight pickup in boca like a true madman. it's just too much my kind of game.

Haha good, another gaffer to play with come launch

o and btw, I just found out that they nerfed Frosty, the 10% additional dmg buff now only applies for 1 tick every 10 seconds :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gotta make sure any gaf guildies that are getting it on ps4 can group up. :>

BraXzy, what I had found really fun in the beta was doing the missions on hard mode despite being "too low level" according to the game and compensating with skill. felt really satisfying. I didn't really try much in the way of exploring or quests, saw one public quest which actually felt rather like gw2 events, but failed.

Levyne

Banned

o and btw, I just found out that they nerfed Frosty, the 10% additional dmg buff now only applies for 1 tick every 10 seconds :/

I see this now. Disappointing. Apparently with the icd it equates to a 1% damage boost or less?

Guess that frees up some trait points.

BraXzy, what I had found really fun in the beta was doing the missions on hard mode despite being "too low level" according to the game and compensating with skill. felt really satisfying. I didn't really try much in the way of exploring or quests, saw one public quest which actually felt rather like gw2 events, but failed.

Incase you need PS+
1 year for $40 @ target
http://www.target.com/p/playstation...ry/-/A-14883716#prodSlot=medium_1_10&term=ps+

Tho I'm sure during black friday they'll do the 1 year for $30 promo again

I see this now. Disappointing. Apparently with the icd it equates to a 1% damage boost or less?

Guess that frees up some trait points.

Yeah I've stopped running with frosty for a while now, using the regen duration increase trait instead to increase survivability

Why I love being Mesmer. I kept moa'ing the other team's Guardian the whole game. Another Mesmer on my team also kept moa'ing him.

cf8e9GF.jpg

Aquila

Ugh, why do guildies have to get Destiny on PS4 too. I got less than a day to decide what to do.
Why I love being Mesmer. I kept moa'ing the other team's Guardian the whole game. Another Mesmer on my team also kept moa'ing him.
LOL, the fact that his teammate paid you afterwards nails it.

Aquila

what are your choyces?

Complicated a bit. Half my group is getting it on 360; the other half on 360 and X1. I have no interest in X1 but no PS+ for my PS3/4. Despite my efforts to educate this gen, my friends are hardcore Microsoft fanboys, of the worst sort sometimes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Complicated a bit. Half my group is getting it on 360; the other half on 360 and X1. I have no interest in X1 but no PS+ for my PS3/4. Despite my efforts to educate this gen, my friends are hardcore Microsoft fanboys, of the worst sort sometimes.
360 d-damn. if the graphical fidelity is anything like it was on ps3 that's a rough road. crazy thing is if you get it on ps3 you can get the ps4 digital version for free too, not that this helps your predicament.
PSN: roofelme

Got my White PS4 preordered.
and you already have a wiiu too. shameful.

edit:

ooooooooooooooo

BraXzy

Why thank you! It's looking pretty sweet, it was in need of an upgrade so it's nice to see it's gonna be quicker and with categories and such.

The gameplay was pretty fun I admit, and I also went into the odd high level places to challenge myself which went well until I hit the dudes with '???' over their heads and they tore me a new one :3

Idk. I love Bungie's previous stuff, and it all looks pretty sweet, I just worry about content and whatnot.. I can burn through stuff pretty damn quick when I want to. I'll probably end up getting it anyway I guess, and if it ends up not living up to what I want there's the MCC right round the corner.

Ugh, why do guildies have to get Destiny on PS4 too. I got less than a day to decide what to do.

I knowwww. That's the other thing that sucks, you guys are all getting it on PS4 but I'm over on the Xbox One. Ahh well. I can see myself getting a PS4 within the next year or two anyway to have a full set hehe.
(For the games, not for the completion :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom