• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen a patch bring out such elitism and racism before, especially the GW2 community of all places. To complain about being treated like they're "retarded four year olds with [insert mental disability]", they sure act like they're four.

Katoki

The gaming side thread seems fine to me. Those people play games their own way and none of them have gone all full blown drive-by in my opinion except for one that is questionable in that regard. I respect the majority of the opinions in there so far.

Retro

I've never seen a patch bring out such elitism and racism before, especially the GW2 community of all places.

In regard to the bolded, yeah... There's some unbelievably unsettling things being said about Chinese players in the midst of all this, some of it has been deleted but there's still little disconnected bits left over floating around. I still can't get over the "we should send them poisoned cupcakes" post earlier... because changes to a video game totally merits an act of terrorism.

On a lighter note, someone suggested that the Chinese players "should all go back to FFXIV." I guess they don't understand that China and Japan are different countries?

Retro: Thanks, I do have LS and Dungeons left and all the paths of course. I wanna do Fractals too but my character isn't good enough I think? No cool (enough) gear either.

I'm pretty sure you can do Fractals from level one. The only gear-related thing you need to worry about is Agony Resistance which comes into play in higher level Fractals, and you earn that as you're running lower level Fractals.

Matchew

I can see why veteran players might be mad, but as someone who got to level 16 and quit I'm actually thinking about firing this up again to see if this helps me get past level 16. Maybe I do need that carrot in front of me because the poor story wasn't keeping me motivated to continue. Is there a certain class that has the best story or areas to explore?

Retro

I can see why veteran players might be mad, but as someone who got to level 16 and quit I'm actually thinking about firing this up again to see if this helps me get past level 16. Maybe I do need that carrot in front of me because the poor story wasn't keeping me motivated to continue. Is there a certain class that has the best story or areas to explore?

Class doesn't determine your story or where you can play, though your character's race will affect both. However, you can use special gates within the game world to travel to a central city where you can visit every other race's starting area if you'd prefer to explore those. If you'd like, you can post your name.#### and we can get you an invite to the guild where people can answer questions directly (even if you're in EU, guild chat still works).

Honestly, it's not so much a carrot as it's just really solid direction, which is something the game lacked before. It introduces gameplay mechanics in a logical order at a pace that gives you enough time to play with them but not get bored with them (at least as far as Level 10, not sure past that yet). It might be just what you need.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I must say the whole thing over the redone leveling experience and the veteran reaction does make me wonder if this is something like how it went back in the glory days of vanilla WoW. When whatever major changes marked the breaking point for the vets who felt the game had been made "casul" or stupid.

That said, I must admit I feel the entire thing might have gone down a bit better if something like a new race or at least a few new classes had been introduced along with such an overhaul. That's really major work, I know. But giving people something completely new to start over with, where they wouldn't know what to expect as the character leveled, might've made the bitter pill easier to swallow for some.

Retro

Thanks for the reply Retro. I thought each class had a personal story?

Nope, they're tied to race, not class.

I actually would love more class-specific stuff, but a big part of this game is playing together and that would kind of divide the community eight ways.

Edit: Ugh, beaten by Ash. I get the last laugh though, I found a picture of him from his first day of school;
CoF6w2x.jpg

I must say the whole thing over the redone leveling experience and the veteran reaction does make me wonder if this is something like how it went back in the glory days of vanilla WoW. When whatever major changes marked the breaking point for the vets who felt the game had been made "casul" or stupid.

Maybe just a little similar...

I gotta say that the one of the things I never liked in GW1 and GW2 were the minis. I can deal with the immersion breaking aspect of it, but it was the inconvenience that I didn't like about them. When I log onto GW1, the stupid minis from the HoM takes up a lot of space. With this update, I actually got myself a mini-me since minis aren't a pain in the ass anymore. I love the preview feature.

gw007.png~original

So much fancy.

Grudy

How bad is it when I see people complaining on the gaming side front page? I didn't look at reddit in a few days so I'm scared :(

Retro

How bad is it when I see people complaining on the gaming side front page? I didn't look at reddit in a few days so I'm scared :(

No where near as big a deal as people are making it out to be. It's essentially a bunch of changes to the early game that makes it easier for new players to understand with a handful of bugs and a boatload of misinformation.

The gaming side thread is pretty much "a blog post by someone who hasn't tried it yet but heard from Reddit it was the Worst Thing Ever: The Thread." On the News-o-Meter the needle doesn't even twitch.

Nice, maybe this one won't get ugly like the last few... oh, who am I kidding, of course it will.

The only bad thing I see of the New Player Experience is creating alts for veterans. I haven't created a new character to experience this yet; however, it does make me wonder if there is a Level 20 Scroll as a reward for completing the PS or whatever for the new-player-turned-seasoned to not have to go through the redesigned first levels again on a alt.

I personally don't need more Level 20 Scrolls. I have way too many of them.

Mxrz

Someday I'll have that cat. After all the ascended recipes and infusions anyway.

Did some WvW early this morning. We had most of EB. DB's BL, etc. When did we get such a strong SEA(?) time

Levito

Banned
Not really when you consider the amount of people who said they quickly had nothing to look forward to and quit. As sad as it is to say, many gamers these days require carrots to stay interested in a game and this allows for that. I've seen more than a handful of people say they quit once they unlocked every skill. These changes are for those future players who also think like this and don't care for having everything at once. ANet has the metrics that show when people stopped playing and I'm going to guess this was in response to not grabbing those players within the first 10-15 levels. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people confused as to what to do or how anything works or that they felt they weren't getting any stronger. My guess is that a permanent trial is going to hit before S2 starts up again and this was a necessary change in order to keep people engaged and willing to purchase. These changes absolutely are not for us or even your average gamer, but people who get overwhelmed easily and it's WAY more people than you think..

Some of it just seems like a band aid fix if that's the case. Like are people really overwhelmed by points of interest? "Go to x-point and stand there till a thing pops" is practically a staple of open world games like Assassin's Creed these days.

Guess the changes are here to stay, but man the process of leveling alts is going to be slow and painful now.

markot

Banned
The fans that never complain are the ones that kill MMOs the fastest.

The ones who pretend there nothing to see. That it's actually better this way. That the company knows what it's doing.

Same shit happened with wow.

uggg...
That November 4 announcement is depressing, only because I thought the hype behind Season 2 was to release expansion-type content at a faster pace.

...but if Part 2 takes another break in December without releasing like 2 complete dungeons, about 2 -complete- zones, new race/class, etc... then early 2015 better deliver something fierce to compensate lack of expansion these last 2 years.

"So what do I do between breaks if all we get are short Personal Storyline stuff?"
"More fractals like the past 2 years duuhhh!, or take a break and come back for more fractals !"

There's a rumor about possible expansion being worked on though. (still hopeful!)

Thorgal

The ones who pretend there nothing to see. That it's actually better this way. That the company knows what it's doing.

There is a difference though between constructive criticism and what is currently happening on Redit and the forums .

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
im back :D

had a semi break to play diablo on ps4 and warriors orochi :D

im going on holiday from this saturday for a week, but after that ill be her e:)

Lunar15

Then this game will live forever. It certainly has its detractors, and I'd say they're a fair bit louder than the other guys.

None of this bothers me because I don't even make alts.

markot

Banned
There is a difference though between constructive criticism and what is currently happening on Redit and the forums .
People are pissed. Anet never seems like it's listening. They are utterly incompetent at community relations.

Was reddit constructive when they sent then cupcakes?

Ashodin

Jira and I have suspected for a long time that the teams that used to work on the game must be working on something akin to an expansion (or something new altogether).

We have heard hide nor hair of Eric Flannum, Ree Soesbee, et al.

markot

Banned
Then this game will live forever. It certainly has its detractors, and I'd say they're a fair bit louder than the other guys.

None of this bothers me because I don't even make alts.
No. They leave eventually. Just like swotor.... Aion... Insert multitude of MMOs here.

Is when people stop caring enough to complain that the game is officially dead.

Jira

uggg...
That November 4 announcement is depressing, only because I thought the hype behind Season 2 was to release expansion-type content at a faster pace.

...but if Part 2 takes another break in December without releasing like 2 complete dungeons, about 2 -complete- zones, new race/class, etc... then early 2015 better deliver something fierce to compensate lack of expansion these last 2 years.

"So what do I do between breaks if all we get are short Personal Storyline stuff?"
"More fractals like the past 2 years duuhhh!, or take a break and come back for more fractals !"

There's a rumor about possible expansion being worked on though. (still hopeful!)

It's amusing really. People complained that Season 1 was too long, disjointed, too much open world, etc. So they put more instanced stuff into Season 2 and people complain about that. The pacing is WAYYYYYY better now but people are complaining about now having to wait until the season kicks off again and they'd rather just have 2 week updates constantly. You cannot have both people. Don't complain about one thing, it get's fixed, then complain about it getting fixed.

Though it's very likely these complaints come from two different camps in which case it all boils down to the ole damned if you do damned if you don't which summarizes all game development now. I really think that the internet in many ways has ruined a lot of what gaming used to be and that was just to have fun. Now it's all about how much stuff can a developer give me before I consume it and ask for more. I feel that skinner boxes becoming the norm in gaming have had a lot to do with this mindset where people want new stuff faster than it is physically possible to create.

Ashodin

And this is why sandboxes need to come back for MMOs, so that people can feel free to do whatever and not complain about content pipelines. They create their own content, ala Minecraft.

Lunar15

No. They leave eventually. Just like swotor.... Aion... Insert multitude of MMOs here.

Is when people stop caring enough to complain that the game is officially dead.

So what you're saying is that GW2 does not have enough people complaining that the game is dead? What planet am I living on?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the detractors, I have my fair share of complaints that I've openly voiced countless times. I'm just saying that your logic here is kinda odd, especially when you used WoW as your initial example. It only had one of the longest lifespans and highest player retention of any game ever made.

I agree that people shouldn't turn a blind eye to a game's flaws. That kind of behavior is just as bad as complaining about everything. But I think everyone has voiced their complaints, even here. I just don't think I see what you're talking about in this case.

But anyway, see: this is what I mean when I say that avoiding the big mob sites like Reddit and the Official Forums is ultimately a good call. It's not to seclude yourself from seeing the game's flaws, but rather to distance yourself from awkward discourse that obscures valid points on both sides. It's why I come to GAF in the first place, there's pretty balanced opinions here. Enough skepticism and optimism to provide good criticism. I'd say this thread definitely leans optimist, but it doesn't negate valid complaints.

I mean, here's the thing: When my complaints outweigh the benefits of the game, I stop playing. It's pretty simple. Sure, I can talk about it with you guys, but nothing's actually more effective than just not playing the game. I mean, this is one game out of thousands. Why should I really worry if it's not going in the direction I want it to? It's a two year old MMO for pete's sake. In today's world, everything gets old faster. I'm not sure expansions or whosawhatsit would really help that.

Now it's all about how much stuff can a developer give me before I consume it and ask for more. I feel that skinner boxes becoming the norm in gaming have had a lot to do with this mindset where people want new stuff faster than it is physically possible to create.
I've said this before, but this comment doesn't work with Guild Wars 2 only because we barely got any -new- bare minimum "permanent content" so far. The Season 1 "living story" zerg events does not compute here.

It's not about "gimme faster!", but at least deliver something minimum if you're not going the Guild Wars 1 expansion route.

Arcteryx

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This game REALLY needs an alt-tab ready indicator, ala DoTA2. ie: when you queue for a match and alt-tab, the game icon will flash when the match pops up.

They could let you select from stuff like:

gchat, WvW queue, PvP queue, events, etc.

Almost missed the start of a PvP game because I totally forgot I was queued :(

Levito

Banned
There's nothing wrong with people critiquing the game or offering up suggestions as to how things could be fixed. At some level it's a sign of passion, even when it gets super childish.

Plenty of people have made reasonable posts as to why some of these changes seems like a bad call. It feels like a lot of the openendedness of Guild Wars 2's leveling and exploration has been gutted. If I where to start this game today for the first time, it would probably seem so underwhelming. Gating things like utilities, story, weapons... Ack it just feels so against a lot of the appeal of the game.

Guess we'll see how it pans out I suppose.

Kai Dracon

But anyway, see: this is what I mean when I say that avoiding the big mob sites like Reddit and the Official Forums is ultimately a good call. It's not to seclude yourself from seeing the game's flaws, but rather to distance yourself from awkward discourse that obscures valid points on both sides. It's why I come to GAF in the first place, there's pretty balanced opinions here. Enough skepticism and optimism to provide good criticism. I'd say this thread definitely leans optimist, but it doesn't negate valid complaints.

I mean, here's the thing: When my complaints outweigh the benefits of the game, I stop playing. It's pretty simple. Sure, I can talk about it with you guys, but nothing's actually more effective than just not playing the game. I mean, this is one game out of thousands. Why should I really worry if it's not going in the direction I want it to? It's a two year old MMO for pete's sake. In today's world, everything gets old faster. I'm not sure expansions or whosawhatsit would really help that.

Big Public Sites (tm) tend to develop a Youtube comments effect. They become the Internet's boob tube where throngs of people go because they truly have nothing else better to do. IMO this is why you see so many people who swear they quit playing a game 3 years ago continue to sit on the appropriate subreddit or reliably comment on every article on a dedicated news site. They keep coming back even though they have nothing to contribute.

But in a very general sense I'm inclined to believe that MMO players in the english speaking world have developed an markedly cynical, antagonistic streak towards the genre itself. Maybe it's the result of WoW still casting such a shadow across the landscape. There's just so much salt at every new attempt at a game, and the salt so often traces back some sort of conflicted feeling over WoW.

Moondrop

Banned
And this is why sandboxes need to come back for MMOs, so that people can feel free to do whatever and not complain about content pipelines. They create their own content, ala Minecraft.
100% this. You will always consume any media content much faster than it can be created. The only solution to maintain novelty is to increase the number of "creators."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Confirmed, you can't stomp / revive / interact if you have right mouse button held down.

So basically anyone with AutoHotKey (i.e. plays with controller) is screwed until it's fixed.
I missed this... I haven't been able to test so far but I don't understand why this would be mechanically changed. You tried pressing the F key on the keyboard itself with the mouse held?

Hmmm. Were there any options added for camera control in this patch? Any switches I want to try flipping in the options menu? I'm almost afraid to start troubleshooting it. I think with some convoluted script it might be able to put a band-aid on it with something like automatically right-clicking on either end of the 'F'.

*sigh*

All of this fever-pitch complaining about things intended for new players, change itself, or what we aren't getting... all fine and good, I have made peace with the fact that this sort of thing is unavoidable and will just have to let it roll off my back to keep playing this game and being an active part of its community.

But this tiny little change that isn't even a blip on Reddit's radar screen is potentially the worst thing that has happened to the game for me since launch. I understand that I am ensconced in a tiny fraction of the playerbase that actively dislikes playing with a mouse and keyboard but that is where I am.

Unfortunately if I'm unable to resolve this I will actually stop playing gw2 until it can be fixed somehow. I wish I could get some kind of understanding of what changed with the camera to make interact not work anymore...

Ashodin

I missed this... I haven't been able to test so far but I don't understand why this would be mechanically changed. You tried pressing the F key on the keyboard itself with the mouse held?

Hmmm. Were there any options added for camera control in this patch? Any switches I want to try flipping in the options menu? I'm almost afraid to start troubleshooting it. I think with some convoluted script it might be able to put a band-aid on it with something like automatically right-clicking on either end of the 'F'.

*sigh*

All of this fever-pitch complaining about things intended for new players, change itself, or what we aren't getting... all fine and good, I have made peace with the fact that this sort of thing is unavoidable and will just have to let it roll off my back to keep playing this game and being an active part of its community.

But this tiny little change that isn't even a blip on Reddit's radar screen is potentially the worst thing that has happened to the game for me since launch. I understand that I am ensconced in a tiny fraction of the playerbase that actively dislikes playing with a mouse and keyboard but that is where I am.

Unfortunately if I'm unable to resolve this I will actually stop playing gw2 until it can be fixed somehow. I wish I could get some kind of understanding of what changed with the camera to make interact not work anymore...
Whoa a change that even makes Hawkian take pause

Now there's something. I feel for ya bro. Having your only way to enjoy the game be cut off for some unknown reason is unusual. I think you should talk to Rubi about it! Maybe she can pass something along.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

*sigh*

Thank you, I've basically felt this way the entire way post-patch-launch. Using a controller is vital to my Guild Wars experience and I fear this will go unchanged for a long time given the forums attention to nonsense. It is affecting both PvP and PvE...makes me want to startup Destiny and go into a cocoon until it's all done. I checked Reddit for "stomp", "finish", "interact" and nothing with enough comments to attract attention. They're too busy bickering over nonsense that won't bother anyone for more than an hour, that it drowns out any discussion that will affect certain players infinitely until it is resolved.

Maybe I'm being a bit overly-enthusiastic in my paragraph above, but Trahearne was the most unenthusiastic voice actor to ever grace gaming, so I think there's a balance established.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had a funny thought right after that post because I remembered that I'd done 3 or 4 dungeons with GAF right after the patch dropped, and didn't notice a thing...

I just logged in and my interact functionality is identical to before, confirmed both via gamepad and testing with the mouse held down by hand.

So, false alarm! Yay!

Kanik, something unrelatedly is affecting your control setup. Let me know if/when you'd like to do some troubleshooting.

edit: Ah you're right here!

I'm 100% positive the patch didn't break the script, so let's focus on fixing whatever happened with yours.

Jira

wh-whats happening in this thread

What's happening is GW2 has become big enough that the community is shitting up the game. That isn't specifically aimed at you guys here but it feels like over the past 3 months or so, that the official forums are now leaking and it's causing huge problems where they didn't exist before.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's happening is GW2 has become big enough that the community is shitting up the game. That isn't specifically aimed at you guys here but it feels like over the past 3 months or so, that the official forums are now leaking and it's causing huge problems where they didn't exist before.
actually i promise that's perception and no such thing is occurring :p maybe time for a stroll down the old OT1 and first few dozen pages of OT2.

Lunar15

Big Public Sites (tm) tend to develop a Youtube comments effect. They become the Internet's boob tube where throngs of people go because they truly have nothing else better to do. IMO this is why you see so many people who swear they quit playing a game 3 years ago continue to sit on the appropriate subreddit or reliably comment on every article on a dedicated news site. They keep coming back even though they have nothing to contribute.

But in a very general sense I'm inclined to believe that MMO players in the english speaking world have developed an markedly cynical, antagonistic streak towards the genre itself. Maybe it's the result of WoW still casting such a shadow across the landscape. There's just so much salt at every new attempt at a game, and the salt so often traces back some sort of conflicted feeling over WoW.

I think it really comes from the promise that MMO's make (either intentionally or unintentionally) that they're going to present an "endless world" with an "adventureous life", and then people start running with that concept and make it so much larger in their mind. So, you tend to get fanbases that, while they enjoy the game, they're never quite satisfied because they keep expecting this thing to be a completely second life for them.

I'm not saying that negates all criticism, I'm just saying why MMO's, in particular, tend to attract a lot more unreasonable complaints along with the reasonable ones.

Kai Dracon

I think it really comes from the promise that MMO's make (either intentionally or unintentionally) that they're going to present an "endless world" with an "adventureous life", and then people start running with that concept and make it so much larger in their mind. So, you tend to get fanbases that, while they enjoy the game, they're never quite satisfied because they keep expecting this thing to be a completely second life for them.

I'm not saying that negates all criticism, I'm just saying why MMO's, in particular, tend to attract a lot more unreasonable complaints along with the reasonable ones.

As I've heard it put before, sadly to achieve that dream of the MMO you're going to have to play Ultima Online. (And that's why people still play it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom