• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
See, comments like this, I tend to just ignore because I haven't tinkered around with any of the Ranger spirits For all I know, it probably is the worst skill in the game, but you won't see my arguing about it.

(Seriously, what did they do to Frost Spirit, now I'm curious).

7% to .7%

OEZOQR8.png

tz6kDFM.png

It hurts extra because it was one of rangers best unselfish utilities.

Moondrop

Banned
Confirmed, you can't stomp / revive / interact if you have right mouse button held down.

So basically anyone with AutoHotKey (i.e. plays with controller) is screwed until it's fixed.
Dark days ahead for controllerGAF. It's relatively easy to code a button in Xpadder that will release camera -> F -> engage camera again (I do that for the quick 180), but that's an inelegant solution.

Minamu

Let's say I want to get a cool backpiece. Assuming that you get these from crafting and I have the mats, could I send these mats via mail to one of you gaffers on another server, get the equipment (any kind I guess really) crafted, and then sent back to me? Not sure I'd trust a random stranger with this. My crafting skills are still at zero obviously.

Retro

7% to .7%

It hurts extra because it was one of rangers best unselfish utilities.

Gotcha, like I said I never played with the Spirits much, but I love the idea that Rangers have a "Nature Magic" theme. Was there ever a dev response to the change (I don't know how old the images are)?

Let's say I want to get a cool backpiece. Assuming that you get these from crafting and I have the mats, could I send these mats via mail to one of you gaffers on another server, get the equipment (any kind I guess really) crafted, and then sent back to me? Not sure I'd trust a random stranger with this. My crafting skills are still at zero obviously.

All of the new backpacks are account bound, so they can't be traded. Otherwise I totally would. Which one did you want to get?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Oh wow, they took out the "Greatest Fear" story arc from the personal story. I just did it for the first time last week and thought it was one of the most well done bits in the story thus far.

Wonder what the rationale behind that decision was.

Taffer

Charge (Summon Flesh Golem):

Reduced dash speed by approximately 25%.
Adjusted number of hits during the charge.
This skill no longer deals damage if the golem’s position does not change significantly (for example, running against a wall).
This skill now ignores the movement penalties from chilled and crippled conditions.
Updated skill facts to more accurately show the damage of this skill.

As a side effect of reducing Flesh Golem's effectiveness versus targets up against a wall it now does barely any damage to objects. So that's my one workaround for that gone. Archdiviner's imprisoning trick will be a chore to escape now and I'll just be skipping any event with a Risen Rotmouth in it.

Doesn't affect me and so is hilarious:
Flesh of the Master:

Slotting and removing this trait now kills all previously summoned minions, preventing previous minions with incorrect health values from remaining.

Now every time your level is adjusted by you moving into a higher/lower level area within a map all your minions immediately die and go on full cooldown before you can re-summon them. If you're running a minion master there are now invisible walls in the world that'll put all your utility skills on cooldown.

Something something dagger something necro cleavage something Siafra.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Frost Spirit is the worst skill ever!
If my understanding of the change is correct it is definitely in the running. Is it true that the DPS increase is less than 1 stack of vulnerability?

edit: missed the following stuff, yeah that's craaaaazy bad.

Grudy

You can watch pretty much any solo Lupi video to get an idea on the tells and what each class should do for the various attacks.

I did but it didn't really help :( I still had no idea what was going on so I'm looking for a more comprehensive explanation of the lupi fight.

Brazill has a very indepth guide on how to solo Lupi but it is just as useful .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZS4QIdid4

Thanks, I'll check it out. Is he actually the neogaf user with the same name? Although I've never seen him post in the OT.

Ashodin

I wanna be angry and outraged.

Mostly I'm just annoyed that I had unplayable lag yesterday and now the power's out. From what I could test initially though, the might stacking on my beastmaster axe was crazy.

But honestly guys, when GW2 disappoints me, I don't feel the urge to come tell y'all about it; I just go play other games. I don't need your validation to know when Anet made a bad design decision.
You think that's bad? My internet cut out yesterday for the first time in months. I wanted to play GW2 all night.

I'm satisfied with the feature pack, if only because there's sneaky additions to the game we had no idea about, like the new Light Aura. That thing is exclusively Guardian's domain, and I fucking love it.

Spirit weapons are hella fun to use, and the bow healing people in it's circle is fucking awesome.

In fact, I haven't come across yet a change that affects me negatively. I still have alts to level, and I'm dreading the rumored stat boost thing people have been complaining about. But we'll see in time.

The fact that collections are so awesome too is just great. Seeing the notification pop up when getting an item brings that "just one more" feeling into the game that I think they could capitalize on. The sound effect for that is crazy good, like slot machine winning noises.

Arcteryx

Yea the changes to Ranger LB will definitely need a nerf in the near future.

I don't think they need to reset the changes, but instead they need to modify "stacking" of abilities(ie: QZ on top of Rapid Fire should be only a 20% increase, instead of 50%). And that's coming from someone who's been playing power Ranger in tPvP for ~6 months now.

The fact that collections are so awesome too is just great. Seeing the notification pop up when getting an item brings that "just one more" feeling into the game that I think they could capitalize on. The sound effect for that is crazy good, like slot machine winning noises.

You found them out!

Taffer

... the new Light Aura. That thing is exclusively Guardian's domain, and I fucking love it.

Not in the patch notes but necro Well of Blood works underwater now and is a light field. As it happens underwater is the only place necros get a leap finisher.

Ashodin

Neat! But guardians can still call it forth on a whim with greatswords. It generates five stacks of vuln when someone hits you, and works great with a guardian vulnerability setup.

Retro

You found them out!

I'm more impressed by the giant golden shower that bursts out of the seductively wriggling Heart icon and sprays all over your face and into your gaping XP bar. I believe that's called the Money Shot, they just need make the Karma vendors sell cigarettes.
Sex.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not in the patch notes but necro Well of Blood works underwater now and is a light field. As it happens underwater is the only place necros get a leap finisher.
pfffft necromancers with light auras. what is this
Yea the changes to Ranger LB will definitely need a nerf in the near future.

I don't think they need to reset the changes, but instead they need to modify "stacking" of abilities(ie: QZ on top of Rapid Fire should be only a 20% increase, instead of 50%). And that's coming from someone who's been playing power Ranger in tPvP for ~6 months now.
How often are you able to do that (the stack + Rapid Fire) and how long is the total cast for the sequence?

Arcteryx

pfffft necromancers with light auras. what is this

How often are you able to do that (the stack + Rapid Fire) and how long is the total cast for the sequence?

Rapid Fire is every 10 secs, unless you use Quick Draw which is 20% CD reduction, but you wouldn't use that with the standard power Ranger build. The cast is 2.5 secs, but with QZ it's 1.25 secs(50%). QZ itself is every 60 secs, but with the trait for survival skills(which you pretty much will need to negate conditions), it's every 48 secs for a 6 sec ability.

I don't really have any issues with QZ: it already has the healing drawback, plus a decently longish CD. The issue for me is that Rapid Fire is a REALLY short cast now (2.5 secs down from 5 secs). In essence, the dmg is more concentrated now. Sure, it can still be evaded, blocked, reflected, etc. but with a 10 sec CD...it's really hard to escape(not to mention overall Ranger ability ranges).

IMO it's the wrong kind of buff for the class: Ranger didn't really need the buff to LB. What it needed was overall utility buffs(party), which is really starting to hurt with the changes to frost spirit.

It's fun and all in WvW, pew pew pew, but at the end of the day...meh, I'd much rather see something I can help my team out with in group fights(be it PvP, PvE, or small-scale WvW).

example: here's the build I've been running for power Ranger(tPvP) for awhile now. The skill info hasn't been updated on the calculator, but the rest is pretty much the same. http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-Fo-g;2Fkx-p2NEF-0;9V2E;1T-9T-29C;15;048C;1LNk6R;1F-03F-035Be

Levyne

Banned
Rapid Fire is every 10 secs, unless you use Quick Draw which is 20% CD reduction, but you wouldn't use that with the standard power Ranger build. The cast is 2.5 secs, but with QZ it's 1.25 secs(50%). QZ itself is every 60 secs, but with the trait for survival skills(which you pretty much will need to negate conditions), it's every 48 secs for a 6 sec ability.

I don't really have any issues with QZ: it already has the healing drawback, plus a decently longish CD. The issue for me is that Rapid Fire is a REALLY short cast now (2.5 secs down from 5 secs).

With the old old quickness of 100% faster it would be 1.25. With 50% faster it would be, what, 1.66 seconds. I mean, the point still stands.

Mxrz

Also, I think the best thing for now is to just ignore the forums and Reddit for the next few days. The complainers will die down, and we can finally look at the changes with a more objective view, instead of just raging about changes because changes.

This is my plan. Right now, short of this thread and some private forums, there is no real way to give any sort of meaningful feedback without the crybaby minority shouting you down.

I have nine UAX 80s already, so maybe that colors my view. But can't see why it should be too big a deal to veteran players. The trait unlock system still needs help, but it is a work in progress. XP wise, it sure did seem like most alts were being leveled via crafting and dungeon swapping (hate that.) I had thought they nerfed the latter, but every post-patch-pug-dungeon I've done has had at least one person swapping. Pretty sure these are the people that blast to 80, then start the "Now what!!!" stuff.

Pug warrior lastnight that said he hated this patch. Worst in mmo history. I asked him why. Told me it was cause Hundred blades "lost so much damage, warrior dps sucks now" This is the sort of people they deal with, ones that despite having 15,000+ AP really don't understand how the game, or even their skills work.

Ashodin

I'm looking at it from the perspective of a TOTALLY new MMO player. These changes introduce things at a slower pace and allows them to absorb it. GW2 wants to bring in MORE people who haven't played, rather than veterans (which are a smaller playerbase).

Retro

I heard a new player cannot gather nodes until level 15. My brain is spinning from that.

Level 9, and they even give you a set of all three gathering tools for free. I was still able to visit a vendor and buy them, but that might be because I have high level characters already.

But no, it's definitely not Level 15. You can get to Level 9 in like 45 mins to an hour, and they removed gathering nodes from the newbie section of the starting zones anyways.

15 is Weapon Swapping.

Jira

Not really when you consider the amount of people who said they quickly had nothing to look forward to and quit. As sad as it is to say, many gamers these days require carrots to stay interested in a game and this allows for that. I've seen more than a handful of people say they quit once they unlocked every skill. These changes are for those future players who also think like this and don't care for having everything at once. ANet has the metrics that show when people stopped playing and I'm going to guess this was in response to not grabbing those players within the first 10-15 levels. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people confused as to what to do or how anything works or that they felt they weren't getting any stronger. My guess is that a permanent trial is going to hit before S2 starts up again and this was a necessary change in order to keep people engaged and willing to purchase. These changes absolutely are not for us or even your average gamer, but people who get overwhelmed easily and it's WAY more people than you think.

The changes aren't something I personally agree with, but I understand why ANet made them.

Minamu

All of the new backpacks are account bound, so they can't be traded. Otherwise I totally would. Which one did you want to get?
This is same with all equipment then I suspect? :/ As for backpacks, I haven't really looked at the new stuff yet, but I suppose the coolest stuff is also the ones that are the hardest to get, like that big red rose or holographic dragon wings and such. The animal backpacks are cute but they break my immersion I think. Just doesn't fit a serious PvE Norn Mesmer hehe. Thematic suitability for my profession is key. I should probably look into leveling my huntsman and other crafts soon.

We've had people here, in this very OT, post over and over how they don't know where to go or what to do. New players.
I'm still lost on what to do with my end-game character. Since breaking up with my gf who also played on my account and getting 100% map completion, my interest in the game is faltering hard :/

Retro

This is same with all equipment then I suspect? :/ As for backpacks, I haven't really looked at the new stuff yet, but I suppose the coolest stuff is also the ones that are the hardest to get, like that big red rose or holographic dragon wings and such. The animal backpacks are cute but they break my immersion I think. Just doesn't fit a serious PvE Norn Mesmer hehe. Thematic suitability for my profession is key. I should probably look into leveling my huntsman and other crafts soon.

No, not all crafted equipment is account bound, I think these are intended to be little visual rewards for leveling crafting.

You might want to check out the Laurel vendors, they sell some of the older skins. Plus, that stuff tends to come back around so you might be able to get it again someday.

I'm still lost on what to do with my end-game character. Since breaking up with my gf who also played on my account and getting 100% map completion, my interest in the game is faltering hard :/

Here ya go:
Whatever you've enjoyed doing from 0-80, you can really kind of keep on doing it.

If PvE is your preference, there's probably a bunch of zones you haven't seen (world completion), and there's the Living Story to always check out when they add another episode. Sounds like you wrapped up your personal story, but haven't hit dungeons yet. They're very satisfying, and since you've played for a while you have a grasp on why the so-called chaos that others describe is essential to the experience. I recommend GAF groups if at all possible, or you're likely to run into people who want to skip cinematics, cheese bosses and do all sorts of things that sap the fun out in the name of efficiency.

On the other hand, World vs. World is always dynamic, though your experience varies based on who's commanding, how many people you have, etc. I haven't played much more than an hour or so total since the end of the Tournament, but that was my fault for burning myself out. Now that the Living Story has ended, I'll probably swing back in there on reset night. It's usually a great time, whether you're running with the pack or havoc squading around the map and maybe picking off a few larger objectives.

I'm also finding (thanks mostly to Moondrop) that PVP isn't nearly as awful as I was expecting. Especially if you're going in as a group with a strategy. I'm someone who swore off arena-style PVP after World of Warcraft's was so off-putting, but all of my complaints (The trinity is not conducive to PvP and gear should never be a determining factor) are absent here. I'm genuinely surprised how much I've been enjoying it lately (though in small doses).

On top of all of that, you can collect skins (there's more lurking around low level areas on Karma vendors than you might think), work on achievements (completing the Jumping Puzzles category is the most fun and satisfying, in my opinion.) or the ultimate game changer; roll an alt. Since the professions are so different, it changes the game pretty significantly.

Finally, you can just stop playing.

Yes, really. Play a different game. Try a different hobby. Go outside, even.

The beauty of Guild Wars 2's endgame is that there really isn't one in the traditional sense. There isn't some special, specific thing that you do over and over again forever until the end of time. The game stops when you want and waits for you to come back.

"Guild Wars 2 has an end game" in the same way Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, Halflife, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, etc. have no endgame. They're just games, full stop. It just happens that Guild Wars 2 "adds more game" through the living story / feature updates so there's a reason to play it again from time to time.
Desert Rose is actually easier to get, you can use Laurels to get those backpacks now.

The Fervid Censer is, but the Desert Rose isn't. At least not according to the wiki.

Cels

one of my characters is missing idle animations.

didn't read anything about it in patch notes so i assume it's a bug

Levyne

Banned
I can see how that would be a tough situation Minamu :/ a break from the game is always an option. We already know the date for the LS to kick back up so maybe that can be a target date of sorts.

For some reason I find it weird when I see people (I guess necros excluded) wearing the sclerite backpiece. Maybe they wear it ironically.

(kidding really, but I just find it hideous, hehe)

Minamu

I do have almost 90 Laurels lying around for no reason. Hmm, maybe. I really dig the desert rose more than the fervid censer though. Everything is so expensive and/or take forever to gather resources for, I'm not used to this :lol

I can see how that would be a tough situation Minamu :/ a break from the game is always an option. We already know the date for the LS to kick back up so maybe that can be a target date of sorts.

For some reason I find it weird when I see people (I guess necros excluded) wearing the sclerite backpiece. Maybe they wear it ironically.

Yeah I do have a backlog to take care of too, and a new education at Uni plus work plus the fact that I'm not 100% done with my master's yet, just the report itself. If you mean the Karka Shell backpiece, then yeah, I'll never wear that I think :)

Retro: Thanks, I do have LS and Dungeons left and all the paths of course. I wanna do Fractals too but my character isn't good enough I think? No cool (enough) gear either.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
I heard a new player cannot gather nodes until level 15. My brain is spinning from that.

You can still gather you just can't see the nodes on the map a lot of people have been spreading misinformation. There was even guy on reddit saying that using asura gates was locked and was even upvoted until someone finally proved it wasn't locked.

Also if you have a lvl 80 character then the nodes won't be hidden on your new alt it will be unlocked automatically.

Ashodin

My fiancee loves the tentacles.

Also someone posted the PC Gamer feature pack article in Gaming side. Stay out at all costs.

Retro

a lot of people have been spreading misinformation.

Well that's an understatement.

My fiancee loves the tentacles.

No comment.

There's a thread on gaming. With the noise being generated I'm not surprised.

Yep, a PCgamer article by someone who admits they have not seen the changes for themselves basically reporting that "Reddit is upset about video games," because that's never happened before, amirite?

Arcteryx

lol @ some of those comments in the gaming side thread.

I mean, I've got some pretty strong negative opinions about certain aspects of the game, but them...

Jira

lol @ some of those comments in the gaming side thread.

I mean, I've got some pretty strong negative opinions about certain aspects of the game, but them...

GW2 is like cancer to many of them and they're just insanely angry that it became a huge success where others failed (FFXIV aside).

From 1 to 9, before it gives you a full set of tools and explains harvesting, there is always something it's unlocking and expecting you to examine fully before moving on to the next thing. While I don't agree with the pacing fully, or some of the implementations, the idea behind the changes seems to be in the right direction.

It's not just about functionality - by slowing down the rate at which things demand your attention, a lot of it goes back to the game world, and really looking at it. I saw things I never noticed before, because my attention was in the world, not on the shiny skills unlocking at a rate of knots while using the weapon.

How many veterans do you hear ask in map chat the most banal questions, like how to get to a vista, or where is a heart. The new heart added to Caledon is *right at the entrance* and pretty easy to spot, but the "veterans" enter the map and the first thing they ask is "where is the new heart". No looking for it, no experiencing the joy of finding it. Just "give me reward plz".

Arcteryx

From 1 to 9, before it gives you a full set of tools and explains harvesting, there is always something it's unlocking and expecting you to examine fully before moving on to the next thing. While I don't agree with the pacing fully, or some of the implementations, the idea behind the changes seems to be in the right direction.

It's not just about functionality - by slowing down the rate at which things demand your attention, a lot of it goes back to the game world, and really looking at it. I saw things I never noticed before, because my attention was in the world, not on the shiny skills unlocking at a rate of knots while using the weapon.

How many veterans do you hear ask in map chat the most banal questions, like how to get to a vista, or where is a heart. The new heart added to Caledon is *right at the entrance* and pretty easy to spot, but the "veterans" enter the map and the first thing they ask is "where is the new heart". No looking for it, no experiencing the joy of finding it. Just "give me reward plz".

Well tbf, hearts aren't really "complex", nor are they rewarding. I can't fault someone for just wanting to one-and-done those. I mean, those "new" hearts are of the "push 'F', stop X, collect Y" variety, with a bar that rapidly fills. Heck, the one in AC land is basically a mirror of the human farm one with the wurms/cows. Stomp on a few mounds, voila, done. 43c reward :)

They need to bring back the anti-AoE & stacking AI right now. I want to see the total melt downs.

I would LOVE to see them bring back the old beta AI. Seriously. It would be amazeballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom