• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I like pretending that if the changes are for'new players' we can't have opinions about them. Or that their not valid cause were not new.

There a reason the game is apparently dead in China. The players there even came to reddit to complain about the changes before launch.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I had a funny thought right after that post because I remembered that I'd done 3 or 4 dungeons with GAF right after the patch dropped, and didn't notice a thing...

I just logged in and my interact functionality is identical to before, confirmed both via gamepad and testing with the mouse held down by hand.

So, false alarm! Yay!

Kanik, something unrelatedly is affecting your control setup. Let me know if/when you'd like to do some troubleshooting.

edit: Ah you're right here!

I'm 100% positive the patch didn't break the script, so let's focus on fixing whatever happened with yours.

OK! Just did some PVP and whatever is the issue wasn't occurring. But swear, there has been a few reddit and forum posts about it. So either I'm slightly nuts or they patched it today,

Ashodin

Fixed a bug that prevented interact UI from showing while moving the camera.

No you're not going insane

Also Colin on leveling unlocks

I just want to quickly add, there are some errors on this chart of how stuff is unlocking, as well as 1st character vs. account unlocks when some of these systems were carried between regions. We’re trying to identify what happened and repair those things assigned the wrong account/character fields, as well as levels.

Seems when they ported it over from China release they either didn't check the unlock rate (as in, what levels unlock what) or somehow it reverted before it went live (can happen with rapid build changes).

And your dog's ass.

You wouldn't, he farms in GW2 for me!

40OzESW.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I bet controller players are a larger group than you would believe.
I agree there are a few, there are at least 3 other solutions to ours (though ours is better) but the number that would stop playing if they can only use a pad is probably pretty low. I actually can't play my best with m+k anymore, which sucks, but especially in pvp I wouldn't feel comfortable.

I spent almost all day playing on my alts and trying out the new low-level progression stuff.

It would be hard to believe that I have more than my warrior, so here is proof!

Norn Ranger, Asura Mesmer, Human Warrior, Sylvari Elementalist, and Charr Guardian.

Retro

Prepare your butts

Taken severely out of context; a player in their CDI posted an elaborate concept for a guild raid and others informed him that the current CDI is focused on QOL issues, not content (he has since deleted his post). He then asked if they would be discussing things along those lines to which a dev responded in the affirmative.

Essentially, he's saying "Yeah, we can talk about it", not "Oh, this is a thing we want to talk about soon!"

"Where are the guild raids" to be the new "Where is the precursor crafting"

Exactly.

Ashodin

Still, the fact they want to talk about the concept is alluring and exciting.

We've already seen Guild Instances in the data files - but perhaps that refers to the Join In system currently in the game.

Jira

Still, the fact they want to talk about the concept is alluring and exciting.

We've already seen Guild Instances in the data files - but perhaps that refers to the Join In system currently in the game.

It's more than likely that latter versus the former.

Jira

I have a sneaky feeling Pre-cursor crafting will come in their first DLC, $15 DLC with a bunch of crap, the main selling point will be PCC..

What makes you think they're going to randomly put out DLC? Like THAT kind of DLC? The only thing you're going to be paying for would be an expansion, I could not possibly see them doing that kind of DLC given how much people beg for an expansion. It would not be received well.

5il3nc3r

I've been trying to convince a friend of mine to try this game recently. He's been reading up about the game doing some research but the problems now is that most of the recent articles and discussion about his game has been so negative these past few months he's hesitant to take the plunge. I know some of you here think this recent shitstorm is not a big deal but it is for me.

Retro

I know some of you here think this recent shitstorm is not a big deal but it is for me.

I think it's a big deal too, and for exactly the reason you posted. Anyone doing research into the game is immediately hit with a wall of toxicity generated by a very small but very vocal fraction of the community that, despite appearances, is not an accurate representative of the whole.

Basically a few shitmongers are making an entire community look positively insane. There's a lot of that going around in gaming lately.

Mxrz

I've been trying to convince a friend of mine to try this game recently. He's been reading up about the game doing some research but the problems now is that most of the recent articles and discussion about his game has been so negative these past few months he's hesitant to take the plunge. I know some of you here think this recent shitstorm is not a big deal but it is for me.

Hop over to youtube and watch some videos. Lot of things to be seen, and they show what the game actually is. Going to a forum for any mmo is generally pretty terrible as they never represent the majority.

Levito

Banned
It's amazing how many people think a gear stat treadmill/carrot on a stick would automatically make the game so much better.

There a reason the game is apparently dead in China.

I've heard quite the contrary? Wildstar barely made more revenue than GW2 did during it's launch in that period.

I still remember when sflu told us about how you bought a gopher thinking it was a sheepdog or w/e

Jira

It's amazing how many people think a gear stat treadmill/carrot on a stick would automatically make the game so much better.

I've heard quite the contrary? Wildstar barely made more revenue than GW2 did during it's launch in that period.

I still remember when sflu told us about how you bought a gopher thinking it was a sheepdog or w/e

Not to mention that GW2 was in a content slump during that quarter due to being in-between seasons and had been out for 16 months or so? Regardless of what people think, the gem store makes mad money for ANet on all fronts. There's nothing to sneeze at $100 million in revenue every year.

Morokh

I think it's a big deal too, and for exactly the reason you posted. Anyone doing research into the game is immediately hit with a wall of toxicity generated by a very small but very vocal fraction of the community that, despite appearances, is not an accurate representative of the whole.

Basically a few shitmongers are making an entire community look positively insane. There's a lot of that going around in gaming lately.

There is that but there is another side to it too, the fact that as soon as you agree with these people even if you don't agree with how they behave, you're automatically put in the same bag.

Quite frankly there are a lot of people that share the same concerns, would want to see the game's content be massively shaken up after two years, and that just don't behave like shitbags about it but they get somehow 'ignored' because of the ones that do.

markot

Banned
Prairie DOG. DOG.

Not my fault you guys just name things like names have no meanings.

Everyone with half a brain knew Wildstar was going to fail. It was made by the wow raider types. Shudder!

Not to mention a sub based mmo now is like releasing a $50 game on mobile.

I just came back after about a year and my girl is new to the game and MMOs and we are having a lot of fun. Honestly the "official" forums for any game suck.

Plus it's 1/2 off a lot it seems, sounds like he just doesn't want to play.

EDIT: Has anybody tried GW2 with the Oculus Rift? I might try it just in Virtual Desktop to play on a 100' screen. I watched some Youtube videos and ... other things, and it was pretty hilarious. I also was able to get a few games going and while it's not the best screen for it, it was pretty crazy playing Metro or something like that.

I was just curious if somebody actually had any know-how or better solutions. It seems if you could tie the camera to the L Mouse button (the free look button) it may work but still a bit disorienting ... but that would be for something like VorpX, for Virtual Desktop it just mimics a huge theater screen.

Only thing I found was this video but has no real information https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2DCWs45-tY

Thorgal

No one is being told to leave directly, however you get the impression.

I mean hell, ArenaNet has even removed and changed the order of PS missions to the point where some things no longer make sense.

But what do I know? I'm just some dumb veteran player.

I wanted to respond to this Yesterday but was too tired .

I have to ask Korten ( and apologies if i come across as blunt) , what do want too see from this Thread ? What do you want too see from the people in it ?

The patch that came out altered and changed several things in order too help new players with the game .

Those changes turned to be highly controversial for a part of the playerbase .
Both Reddit and the official forums collectively Lost there shit, saying things like :

ANET NO LONGER UNDERSTAND IT' S PLAYERS !
WTF ANET ? WHY ARE YOU TREATING US LIKE 4 YEAR OLDS ?
WHAT IS THIS SHIT , ANET ? UNINSTALLING THE GAME IMMEDIATELY !
etc.. etc ...

Now here on this thread the response has been much more Pragmatic .
Some disliked the changes , some liked them and others withheld their opinion .

Now from where i am standing it seems you are misconstruing this pragmatism as "we blindly accept anything Anet throws at us and blindly call it good " .

That because this thread , unlike Reddit and the forums ,din't lose it's collective shit and started posting the same " colorful messages " as over there , you mistake it for that we don't have any complaints . Anet can do no wrong ! etc.
which is simply not true .

The patch that came out altered and changed several things in order too help new players with the game.
How does removing the Tonn/Apatia chapter or re-ordering the final missions help new players? All it has done is confuse everyone. For example, instead of slogging through the entire length (and taking in lore along the way) of Cursed Shore to meet Romke's ghost and his crew, now I just board the airship at Fort Trinity and bam, I'm suddenly in the corridor with Romke's party and traveling north to find the map. I again board the Fort Trinity airship and bam, I'm now fighting at the Source of Orr. No travel, no exploration; I'm apparently a HALO orbital drop shock trooper by the end of the personal story. This change is baffling, to be honest.

Levyne

Banned
I think the perception stems from the fact that the game's biggest fans in this thread just happen to be the one that like to talk at length. If you aren't careful to read the various outs (ie, those posters' own issues with the game), it can seem somewhat smothering, even if that's not the intention.

I was randomly running around yesterday getting various cheap collections started (at least unlocked) and my minipet was disabled way more often than I would have liked. It's pretty silly.

nataku

I was randomly running around yesterday getting various cheap collections started (at least unlocked) and my minipet was disabled way more often than I would have liked. It's pretty silly.

Honestly, they need to not cull your own mini unless absolutely necessary. It should be the very last mini for the system to cull. I imagine they'll fix it eventually, but it's a pretty silly oversight.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
How does removing the Tonn/Apatia chapter or re-ordering the final missions help new players? All it has done is confuse everyone. For example, instead of slogging through the entire length (and taking in lore along the way) of Cursed Shore to meet Romke's ghost and his crew, now I just board the airship at Fort Trinity and bam, I'm suddenly in the corridor with Romke's party and traveling north to find the map. I again board the Fort Trinity airship and bam, I'm now fighting at the Source of Orr. No travel, no exploration; I'm apparently a HALO orbital drop shock trooper by the end of the personal story. This change is baffling, to be honest.

Have they given a reason for removing those chapters?

Thorgal

The update from Colin was an interesting read.

Kind of want to roll another alt just to see how I feel about the changes first hand. As someone that obsesses about zone/world completion though I really hate that things like points of interest are hidden initially.

This caught my eye :

- Finally, I want to add that a few things (hello traits!) are things that can be improved for players who make multiple alts, we’re aware of this, and though company policy prevents us from discussing what’s in development: I can say we know Gw2 can be an even better game for people who love making alts in the long run, more info: when it’s ready™.

The update from Colin was an interesting read.

Kind of want to roll another alt just to see how I feel about the changes first hand. As someone that obsesses about zone/world completion though I really hate that things like points of interest are hidden initially.

very nice. It goes in line with my experience of talking to people who gave up on GW2 after 30 minutes because it was stupid. Gamers who play games often underestimate how cumbersome the most basic tasks are for a lot of people who are not constantly playing these games.

I can understand a lot of the changes like removing bundles on the ground to avoid confusion, but why they removed alternative progressions for hearts was a bit strange.

Everybody seems to want more individual skill choie. I am not sure this is going to go away. It seems that adding new weapons won't be enough. People simply want to swap out main and off hand weapon skills.

If so, I would suggest that they try to make specific weapon skills unlock-able for other weapons, changing their function, and looks, but keeps the basic idea in tact. That would be interesting and force people down many different roads within the same class, while still confining people to the balance of the original skill.

For example, your a warrior and you liker hammer. though you decide to take Greatsword #2 Hundred Blades and put that skill in your hammer, as Hammer #5 as you don't like the original Hammer 5 skill. Now you have a fast paced burst hammer skill in your arsenal.

Restrictions would apply, every skill carried over to a new weapon would need new effects and animations, name changing and changes to its stats.

Have they given a reason for removing those chapters?
After briefly going to the forums and reddit (the toxic comments are easier to ignore than I thought), I found none.

This caught my eye :
The changes are a long time coming. I feel sorry for players like Xeris, who used to enjoy showing off his newest alt every week much to the guild's amusement. The trait unlocking system pretty much kills that level of altitis. I grumble about my 28 gold I would need to spend to unlock all the original traits, but Xeris would have to literally spend hundreds of gold if he doesn't feel like 100% completing the same 3-4 maps for the 20th time just to get a few useful traits opened up.

Everybody seems to want more individual skill choie. I am not sure this is going to go away. It seems that adding new weapons won't be enough. People simply want to swap out main and off hand weapon skills.
Consider me one player who doesn't care for more skills at the moment. I'm content with the number of skills-- the copy pasta weapon animations (e.g., wrench, mace and sceptor auto-attacks) bother me more. And in my opinion the different professions and weapons already should take care of the static nature of not swapping out individual 1-5 skills. If you have all eight professions mastered and want more, then I can see that desire justified. If you only have two characters, then I can't really sympathize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom