• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All are welcome for my WvW group, but if you wanna come prepared some, bring:

-A level 80 character if you have one
-Soldier's (PVT) armor if you have it
-All the swiftness and might generation you can muster
-Any movement speed options you've got
-Immobilizes and CC (knockback, launch, stun, etc.)
-A thirst for blood

Fun fact: My Ascended set is PVT because I don't play Dungeons in "Serious" mode, but I do play WvW in Serious mode. I do have a set of Ascended Berserker trinkets but I shoved them on my necro. Lump the Mesmer is all about PVT with just a regular exo Berserker armor set whenever I need it.

The only runes I'll ever use on my Mesmer are Traveler Runes, unless Anet ever decides to give the class +25% movement speed with a skill or trait.

Vyrance

Not sure if I'll be on tonight for WvW reset or not. The AC is acting up at my place (and I'm in Florida), so not sure if I want the computer keeping my room hot all night, lol.

Ashodin

Y'all some thirsty motherfuckers for smash. I couldn't wait either

I'm ready for the WvW smash fest however.

I'm going to be doing some research for the tournament as well!

Zeroth

Y'all some thirsty motherfuckers for smash. I can wait.

I'm ready for the WvW smash fest however.

I'm going to be doing some research for the tournament as well!

I can't help it. I was going to wait, but then my friends started getting the demo... well, it's something that I can't be helped with. Thankfully a gentle gaffer helped me out :)

And good luck you guys. Seems like the enemy teams are some pro guys!

Since Lump started the off-topicness: I'm a Nintendo fanboy by experience, if not posting history. I didn't know until today that 2DS =/= original DS. Now I'm going to go buy one so I can play the Smash demo next week.

I would wait until the new version comes out honestly. The second stick for MH4 should be nice.

All are welcome for my WvW group, but if you wanna come prepared some, bring:

-Soldier's (PVT) armor if you have it
-All the swiftness and might generation you can muster
-Any movement speed options you've got
-Immobilizes and CC (knockback, launch, stun, etc.)
-A thirst for blood

When i am following a zerg i bring none of those, I run zerker gear, if i die, i die, just there to have some run and see massive damage on my screen. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Adjusted culling to allow more minis to appear on less populous maps.
Fixed a client crash related to PvP standard models.
Fixed a bug in which summoned 7-series golems caused excessive damage.

someone reactivated the insurrection inhibitor

Mxrz

Darn golems got fixed. Funny stuff.

Didn't realize the tournament starts tonight, hrm.

Looks like DB is the new wagon. Server transfers really take most competitiveness out of the tournaments. Oh well. More free weapons if nothing else.

Moondrop

Banned
I would wait until the new version comes out honestly. The second stick for MH4 should be nice.
That sounds like a good idea but... Smash is coming out in a month. A demo is coming out in a week. And the new version's release date is unannounced.

Also I'm intrigued by the 2DS; something about the clamshell's screen and controls never lined up right for me.

Fishious

Figured I'd drop in and make myself known since I never post and hardly ever rep the guild. That being said I lurk a lot so I'm pretty up to date with the game goings on and thread discussions.

It's looking like my weekends will be freer for a while so I'm going to make an effort to play with Gaffers instead of just taking up space in the guild. I'm currently contemplating switching to SBI for the WvW tourny, but it's taking time to convince my inner cheapskate.

Heck, I may even start posting in this thread!

Maybe every now and then.

Perhaps a couple times a year.

Ok,never.

Retro

was my first MMO, played it from open Beta to Cataclysm in full raid mode with some off periods, so I know it pretty well. Didn't go very far with other games in the same type though.

That makes it much easier then, since I can use examples without having to explain them in full detail.

I think you're picking up on the first half of his point ("World of Warcraft's method of adding content doesn't work for GW2") but missing the second ("Players shouldn't expect the WoW method to apply to Guild Wars 2"). For example;

The main things about WoW that makes new content immediately make the old one obsolete is the way the game is designed, with the gear treadmill, and the level cap that always goes up.

With GW2 that's not even an issue, horizontal progression, and scaling pretty much entirely prevents all this, and adding something just adds to the pile of 'possible things to do'

His comment about forwarding players to level 90 and forgetting about new players is even worse for the same reasons, the differences in design between the two games doesn't make that comparable at all.

You're pretty much right on all counts; the WoW method of adding content is strictly vertical, where old content is abandoned (i.e. Outland is still the same today as it was seven years ago) and rather than try to keep it relevant they simply pave over it and give new players ways to bypass it (Even cata didn't give high level characters a reason to venture into lowbie zones). Guild Wars 2's horizontal progression and scaling doesn't gel with that approach at all, and that's why, as you say, they're not comparable at all.

However, not all players understand that, which is the point he makes right in the opening line; "I wonder if the disconnect comes from semantics, or merely wishful thinking." Features aren't content; you and I get that concept but lots of players don't. They want the "new dungeon, their new zone, their new shiny reward that usually comes in the form of better stats or better looks," but that's not how Guild Wars 2 works, and that's why he makes a point of saying he plays Guild Wars 2 "because it isn’t WoW." It's different at a fundamental level, but the community still thinks they operate the same.

I also don't believe he's "implying that additional content is bad," so much as he's saying that new content at the expense of maintaining the old is. I mean, we were both there, how long did it take to chew through the initial content in Wrath of the Lich King? Two, maybe three months tops? I looked up the date on some of my old screenshots and my guild was done with Naxx by early February '09 (so, ~2 months) and by the time Ulduarr was patched in (6 months after release) there were so few of us left that we had to PUG a couple spots.

If we assume that Wrath's development was pushed into high gear as soon as the last TBC patch shipped, that's 9 months of development minimum for 3 months of gameplay maximum. I would wager that they were already working hard on WotLK before Sunwell shipped (we'll ignore that Naxx was recycled content they had previously developed), so that figure can only go up.

The point is, it takes a long ass time to develop content and it takes almost no time at all for players to devour it. In the WoW Model, all of that work is basically discarded (‘fuck the old stuff’, as the article puts it) and players are encouraged to skip over it.

The GW2 approach, on the other hand, is to make sure content is always still worth running even as new stuff is added. And for players who are used to the WoW Model, there's a certain level of frustration that time is being spent on things they may not ever experience. ArenaNet seems focused on making the game better in the long term with the possible consequence that the short term suffers for it. And gamers are terrible at thinking in the long term.

For example, everyone wants an expansion. "It'll bring in new players!" and "people who stopped playing will come back!" are the big reasons everyone gives, but what happens when they release a new expansion without fixing the existing content? The new and returning players will hit the same retention problems the game had before. The long game requires one before the other, but you don't have to take my word for it;
Colin Johanson said:

Side Track: Gamers' inability to see the long game is also why Nintendo is always doomed right up until they blow everyone away again; they play the long game and don't get caught up in the short term and it pays off almost every time.

Anyways, the reset is about to hit and I feel like this is probably long enough as is, I hope I clarified why I thought it was worth sharing.

Thorgal

Thought i would reintroduce the gang .

gw22014-09-1309-13-32u3ypq.jpg
gw22014-09-1309-13-47zlysr.jpg
gw22014-09-1309-13-58b4b6x.jpg
gw22014-09-1309-14-16hilh9.jpg
gw22014-09-1309-14-30wwbwe.jpg
gw22014-09-1309-14-44xxb1h.jpg

Warrior , Ranger ,elementalist, Mesmer,Thief and Necromancer.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Whenever I do PvP and there's a bad player trash talking about how great he is, rather than trash talk back I start worshipping how awesome he is and how he's carrying his team. So the rest of his team can get angry at him for boasting. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maybe every now and then.

Perhaps a couple times a year.

Ok,never.

So many possibilities!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I wished I could have played with you guys. I wanted to help so bad!
Especially since I was only lvl 23!

My girlfriend was holding out for a reality where Adriaaaaa falls asleep and Hawkian doesn't log in...then she and Ash go in and get llamas. She was in heart of the mists the whole time as result. Sooo here's hoping the subs get llamas too!

Team Mini Llama got beat by a pretty significant margin

How many Rangers were present?!?!?! I ask for scientific purposes, of course.

Vyrance

Nice that you guys got a win, hopefully everyone gets their llamas!

Btw we're doing well in WvW so far. The last time we fought DR, about one day after reset they were up on us by like 10k. This time we're up by like 3k or so. Helps having a large NA turnout and our large SEA group come into WvW. Hopefully Kiwi/AoD/others come into WvW more often for the tournament.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I did about 4 hours this morning and ran with AoD and Keep. Unfortunately, we only really had one main group hoping 3 maps and we were spread pretty damn thin.

Complistic

I really like the changes to the fall wvw tourney. Keeping it to 4 intense weeks is so much more interesting.

Also what were the settings for AA in the nvidia controller thing? My sweetfx stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom