• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

we are 20k points or so on the lead... they really can flip it?

Yes. 20k is easily attainable when you put in the time with the way they've been playing. We've been using the overnight period to get our total up but haven't been very successful during NA despite having around the same numbers from what I've been reading, though it usually looks like they're easily outnumbering is.

Trey

We definitely tend to lose open fights against FA when the numbers are about even. At least in SBI and FA borderlands. No real creativity from the commanders, for one reason or another.

Katoki

We definitely tend to lose open fights against FA when the numbers are about even. At least in SBI and FA borderlands. No real creativity from the commanders, for one reason or another.

We're actually quite adept at open field fights. It's the ones where they have us funneled like when we try to take back hills that causes a lot of head banging. Then again it depends on the people participating at the time since I've seen people that won't push until it's absolutely clear that their force is winning when it looks like the odds are bad.

Trey

We're actually quite adept at open field fights. It's the ones where they have us funneled like when we try to take back hills that causes a lot of head banging. Then again it depends on the people participating at the time since I've seen people that won't push until it's absolutely clear that their force is winning when it looks like the odds are bad.

I'm rolling with you from now on cuz I must obviously be associating with the sbi scrub force.

Retro

Just as a gentle reminder, let's leave the Wildstar thread alone as a general rule. None of the regulars in this thread have done anything wrong (I know a few are going to play it a little), but even someone name-dropping GW2 in a favorable light was enough to get one of their regulars to start ranting about paid marketers right out of the gate today. ThatEscalatedQuickly.gif

Their thread is only three days old and barely has 500 posts, but already a moderator has had to step in and remind folks (again, none that I recognize as thread regulars here) to knock it of. We all know pretty well by now what it's like to have people antagonize/derail threads, so if you're going to play Wildstar and you're running into a lot of GW2 hate, the ignore feature works flawlessly (as long as you don't click the ignored posts). You'll avoid a pointless argument and a potential ban and their thread won't get derailed; win/win.

Ashodin

Just as a gentle reminder, let's leave the Wildstar thread alone as a general rule. None of the regulars in this thread have done anything wrong (I know a few are going to play it a little), but even someone name-dropping GW2 in a favorable light was enough to get one of their regulars to start ranting about paid marketers right out of the gate today. ThatEscalatedQuickly.gif

Their thread is only three days old and barely has 500 posts, but already a moderator has had to step in and remind folks (again, none that I recognize as thread regulars here) to knock it of. We all know pretty well by now what it's like to have people antagonize/derail threads, so if you're going to play Wildstar and you're running into a lot of GW2 hate, the ignore feature works flawlessly (as long as you don't click the ignored posts). You'll avoid a pointless argument and a potential ban and their thread won't get derailed; win/win.
Shameless. We never as a general rule go into other MMO OT threads to derail/troll/argue. It's just bad form.

Retro

Shameless. We never as a general rule go into other MMO OT threads to derail/troll/argue. It's just bad form.

Well, it wasn't any of us, it was a junior member who hasn't posted in our OT. What he said didn't even strike me as ultra critical (the worst thing he said Wildstar's questing was "less fun"), but it is launch week for them and people are in full-on overhype mode.

Ashodin

I know how the overhype mode is. I'm expecting July 1 to go overhype mode, and we should TOTALLY post a new thread for it when it is about to happen (since it is a big deal in GW2)

The person who went into the WildStar thread has never posted here, afaik. And my only post in there was to clarify that the GW2 community here doesn't go into other MMO threads to detail or troll (not that we're afforded the same courtesy, but whatever), and that we're all sister guilds and on the same team even if we play different games. More successful MMOs means a more diverse and healthier genre, and everyone wins.

we are 20k points or so on the lead... they really can flip it?

About 15k points, which they can close to about ~5k points by primetime tonight if they really bunker into our BL like they did Monday and Tuesday. They don't seem to be aiming for our BL seriously today, though, and are instead going for BP BL. If this keeps up, they'll still close the gap a little bit in terms of PPT, but our Primetime players will be 'off the leash' from the offset to just rampage everywhere across BP BL and FA BL.

I've been trying to help command Boss Blitz runs, and it is so hard with most groups. I had gotten my hopes up after the weekend gold rush that people were starting to learn how it worked too.

The donations always go super quickly (usually before any organization has a chance), so I want to know who has money to throw away on halfhearted attempts. The best we usually manage is getting one party together to fight a boss that the zerg hasn't made it to yet. If we're lucky, one or two other people will speak up in map chat and help stress the importance making small groups, but it has such a small impact.

Is this how people want to play, even when they are penalized for it? The game can be so much more than just standing in a group of one hundred others, with your bow on autoattack. :(

Trey

About 15k points, which they can close to about ~5k points by primetime tonight if they really bunker into our BL like they did Monday and Tuesday. They don't seem to be aiming for our BL seriously today, though, and are instead going for BP BL. If this keeps up, they'll still close the gap a little bit in terms of PPT, but our Primetime players will be 'off the leash' from the offset to just rampage everywhere across BP BL and FA BL.

If they take BP's bl, then go for our stuff, that will give them a nice cushion for when we eventually fight back.

The schemers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kinda glad for the July 1st start. I'm really only logging in for WvW this week, then I'm going to Puerto Rico... wow, just over a week from now, and there's still quite a lot I'd like to do before the festival ends.

zFNj1cl.jpg

Koreu got a sex-change. What do you think of this fashion choice? I decided to go with a mix of barbaric, T3 human and the Phalanx.

Anyone got some good condi removal/healing power based support builds for dungeons and WvW? I don't care if I can't kill squat. This character is just for supporting and helping the fellows. Don't care what weapons choices but was thinking Staff and Mace/Torch.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Her Armor is a mix of Clerics and Soldiers, so she got decent Power/Toug/Vit and a good amount of Healing Power. Rune set is Trooper with nr 6 having shouts removing condis from each affected ally.
Weapons are cleric too, and all the weps are cleric too. Same with accessories, rings, amulets and backpack.

Lunar15

Koreu got a sex-change. What do you think of this fashion choice? I decided to go with a mix of barbaric, T3 human and the Phalanx.

Anyone got some good condi removal/healing power based support builds for dungeons and WvW? I don't care if I can't kill squat. This character is just for supporting and helping the fellows. Don't care what weapons choices but was thinking Staff and Mace/Torch.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Her Armor is a mix of Clerics and Soldiers, so she got decent Power/Toug/Vit and a good amount of Healing Power. Rune set is Trooper with nr 6 having shouts removing condis from each affected ally.
Weapons are cleric too, and all the weps are cleric too. Same with accessories, rings, amulets and backpack.

I really like that armor/dye combo.

Mace is good, really good. I prefer Hammer for protection+retaliation uptime, but mace is great.

Torch...not so much. Sure, the bozobreath can remove cond, but it's targetted, and thus your shouts will do a much better job. Go with Focus for heals/dmg and a nice burstdmg/blast finisher tool (hey, i didnt know focus 5 was a blast finisher on cast), or Shield for control and more emergency heals.

I'd say focus is marginally better for PvE. Shield is considerably better for WvW.

Thorgal

I've been trying to help command Boss Blitz runs, and it is so hard with most groups. I had gotten my hopes up after the weekend gold rush that people were starting to learn how it worked too.

The donations always go super quickly (usually before any organization has a chance), so I want to know who has money to throw away on halfhearted attempts. The best we usually manage is getting one party together to fight a boss that the zerg hasn't made it to yet. If we're lucky, one or two other people will speak up in map chat and help stress the importance making small groups, but it has such a small impact.

Is this how people want to play, even when they are penalized for it? The game can be so much more than just standing in a group of one hundred others, with your bow on autoattack. :(

On this point i would have to agree with Morokh that they should add a timer to bronze that when finished would stop the blitz and start the donations again but since people failed the objective they get zilch as reward .

Basically , make players who enjoy zerging very aware that they can either start working together or they are just wasting their time here .

At this point Broze reward for most people is "good enough" for most people and see no reason to want to aim higher .

At this point Broze reward for most people is "good enough" for most people and see no reason to want to aim higher .

Not really. Bronze reward can take upwards of one hour or more to get. At that point, bronze is objectively terrible.

I've also happened upon instances where a boss was simply...up. For a long time. Longer than anyone in the instance could say.

Bronze is only considered ^good enuff^ if you clear the event in less than 30 minutes, otherwise you get an ocean of whining and huffing and puffing.

But yes, having a bronze time limit would be nice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On this point i would have to agree with Morokh that they should add a timer to bronze that when finished would stop the blitz and start the donations again but since people failed the objective they get zilch as reward .

Basically , make players who enjoy zerging very aware that they can either start working together or they are just wasting their time here .

Definitely agree, a "plunger" timer like in the Gauntlet even. It could kill everybody! :D

Ashodin

Yay! I'll soon get my first taste of the whole Living World thing. And get the chance at awesome new rewards that new players won't be able to get when it ends. Mwuhaha.

And I still have plenty of time to try and kill Liadri, so I'd better get focused on finishing the WvW Tournament Meta before Friday.

Itsssssssss my background now!

Retro

I know how the overhype mode is. I'm expecting July 1 to go overhype mode, and we should TOTALLY post a new thread for it when it is about to happen (since it is a big deal in GW2)

I'm not sure it merits a new thread, but I tend to veer on the side of caution when it comes to new GAF threads because it's just another opportunity for the Hate Squad to roll out or a mod to decide it's not newsworthy and set a precedent against GW2 threads.

Obviously we'll want to wait until there's more details.

Twe're all sister guilds and on the same team even if we play different games.

Kind of literally though in this case; people may not have noticed, but Ferny, Hythloday and I have been working with TharpDaddy to set up a section on gafguild.com and Mumble for their use. Since they currently have only ~18 members it shouldn't impact us too much (we usually hit about 30-40 people on Mission nights, the rest of the time our server is 5-10 max), and we'd be helping another GAFGuild get off the ground.

Considering all but the biggest haters of GW2 have to concede our community is top-notch, it seemed like a good opportunity to spread the love, especially since some of the GW2 GAFers will be playing Wildstar as well. And it's a good test run for an EQN GAFGuild, which I know a lot of folks are going to be checking out (myself included, if only to build shit).

Ferny can elaborate more if he wants to, but the general idea is that there could be one, singular GAFGuild umbrella under which multiple MMO communities are covered when it comes to external forums, voice comms, etc. GAFGuild franchises, baby!

Ferny

We're the Subway of MMO Guilds lol

I will speak on more details once they come together a little more on the upcoming launch they're going through.

Retro

did you guys saw that pie right now? OMG 3/4 OF THE PIE IS GREEN, FA IS GOING FULL DUTY.

Unless mom lets them stay up past their bedtime tonight (good luck, it's a school night!), WvW is going to have a serious case of the blues as usual by midnight. They didn't get started early enough today on tearing down SBI, all they have of note is Bay (the last few days it was everything), even Hills still has a WP. That means pressure can be brought to bear on their turf rather than reclaiming our BL. I think unless SBI completely shits the bed tonight in terms of numbers and commanders, we'll increase our lead a bit more. As long as they don't rally hardcore on Friday before the tourney ends (which they might well be doing with the low effort today), our small but reliable lead should carry us through.

We're the Subway of MMO Guilds lol

Impossible, Subway is garbage.

BraXzy

Not really. Bronze reward can take upwards of one hour or more to get. At that point, bronze is objectively terrible.

I've also happened upon instances where a boss was simply...up. For a long time. Longer than anyone in the instance could say.

Bronze is only considered ^good enuff^ if you clear the event in less than 30 minutes, otherwise you get an ocean of whining and huffing and puffing.

But yes, having a bronze time limit would be nice.

God the amount of times I've gone to the gauntlet for a good while and then give up, go down to the pavillion and realise the blitz from when I entered is still going on. When on earth are people going to realize that the bosses scale? Someone even said in map chat "Everyone pile on boom boom, we need more people she's too hard" to which I tried my best to inform them that was a bad idea.

A time limit would be pretty good but I don't know if it'd stop people doing pointless runs, it'd probably just piss people off.

Impossible, Subway is garbage.

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me. I used to work at Subway and I personally really like it.
But then again, it might be better here in the UK :p

Thorgal

God the amount of times I've gone to the gauntlet for a good while and then give up, go down to the pavillion and realise the blitz from when I entered is still going on. When on earth are people going to realize that the bosses scale? Someone even said in map chat "Everyone pile on boom boom, we need more people she's too hard" to which I tried my best to inform them that was a bad idea.

A time limit would be pretty good but I don't know if it'd stop people doing pointless runs, it'd probably just piss people off.

Thats good , they would be punished accordingly for not following the plan .

So if they are pissed at failing the blitz , they only have themselves to blame .

Retro

They might be okay in the UK. When I moved out the East Coast of the US, I was surprised by the lack of Subways and sandwich shops in general, at least compared to the Midwest where they were everywhere. Then I found out why; there's a chain of convenience stores in the Mid-Atlantic called Wawa that has a full sandwich shop / deli inside each one and they're incredible.

Lunar15

They might be okay in the UK. When I moved out the East Coast of the US, I was surprised by the lack of Subways and sandwich shops in general, at least compared to the Midwest where they were everywhere. Then I found out why; there's a chain of convenience stores in the Mid-Atlantic called Wawa that has a full sandwich shop / deli inside each one and they're incredible.

Also, in Florida and a lot of the south we have Publix, which is our supermarket, and they make some of the best damn subs on the planet.

Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks GAFGuild.

Ashodin

Sheetz is the same thing down here in NC. Wawa and Sheetz intersect in VA, though. Sheetz is so fucking good, and it's open 24/7!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Someone even said in map chat "Everyone pile on boom boom, we need more people she's too hard" to which I tried my best to inform them that was a bad idea.
you are just too damn good.
Also, in Florida and a lot of the south we have Publix, which is our supermarket, and they make some of the best damn subs on the planet.

Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks GAFGuild.
fatigue be damned, i now WILL be stopping for a Mojo Pork sub on the way home, thank you

edit: We got a Schlotsky's recently, but for the most part the sandwich shop game is locked up here. Subway and Quiznos compete with one another and everybody who knows better goes to Publix. A new place actually just opened in walking distance from me and it's phenomenal (they have an Ahi Tuna sub, whaaaat), but it's in a Publix shopping center... not optimistic about their chances to last over a year

If you just keep reminding people that if Boom Boom's turret says anything higher than level 81, she's scaled up too far and people need to leave until the turret drops down in level again. I actually wish more bosses had such an easy visual indicator for scaling.

Ashodin

fatigue be damned, i now WILL be stopping for a Mojo Pork sub on the way home, thank you

edit: We got a Schlotsky's recently, but for the most part the sandwich shop game is locked up here. Subway and Quiznos compete with one another and everybody who knows better goes to Publix. A new place actually just opened in walking distance from me and it's phenomenal (they have an Ahi Tuna sub, whaaaat), but it's in a Publix shopping center... not optimistic about their chances to last over a year

I must find a Publix.

hythloday

Do you have mono Hawkian? It seems like you've been feeling under the weather lately. We need our Hawkster to be well!

Also there's always going to be that one guy who just doesn't get the memo, and that guy's answer is always "zerg it to win." It's one of the minor setbacks to some of these Living Story fights, because some of them are very challenging and it's great to see the community learn to work together and defeat them, like in the Marionette fight and the Boss Blitz. But sometimes it feels like the bosses go away as soon as the community figures them out which is less great.

Also Wawa is wonderful but Royal Farms is starting to make inroads here too. Dat chicken.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you just keep reminding people that if Boom Boom's turret says anything higher than level 81, she's scaled up too far and people need to leave until the turret drops down in level again. I actually wish more bosses had such an easy visual indicator for scaling.
that's a protip for the next run if eve I heard one.
Do you have mono Hawkian? It seems like you've been feeling under the weather lately. We need our Hawkster to be well!
I'm fine, I actually thought I was possibly getting sick last week but nothing really ever game of it. This right now is just my chronic insomnia making me want a nice nap :D
Also there's always going to be that one guy who just doesn't get the memo, and that guy's answer is always "zerg it to win." It's one of the minor setbacks to some of these Living Story fights, because some of them are very challenging and it's great to see the community learn to work together and defeat them, like in the Marionette fight and the Boss Blitz. But sometimes it feels like the bosses go away as soon as the community figures them out which is less great.
I miss the Tower of Nightmares- so far, that has had my favorite arc of "community day-one rage" to "jolly cooperation" of the releases so far. My favorite moments were starting out with a group of three or so from the bottom and collecting stragglers and poor lost souls on the way up, until I realized we'd basically become a very friendly blob of 30 along the way.

*wistful sigh* It deserved to be blown up, but man that was fun. hm. maybe it could be a fractal one day at least.

Retro

Sheetz is the same thing down here in NC. Wawa and Sheetz intersect in VA, though. Sheetz is so fucking good, and it's open 24/7!

I can't eat at any establishment named for the bathroom condition their food might induce. I will give VA points for having a really good breakfast joint in your old stomping grounds, but I have to remove points for being so miserably hot and humid. Air is not meant to be swam through, the whole Southern climate can just fuck right off with that

I miss the Tower of Nightmares- so far, that has had my favorite arc of "community day-one rage" to "jolly cooperation" of the releases so far. My favorite moments were starting out with a group of three or so from the bottom and collecting stragglers and poor lost souls on the way up, until I realized we'd basically become a very friendly blob of 30 along the way.

*wistful sigh* It deserved to be blown up, but man that was fun. hm. maybe it could be a fractal one day at least.

Ya know, the Marionette would be fairly easy to bring back in terms of location (I still say dropping it down into the Queen's Pavilion is both a great location for it and poetic justice), but the Tower of Nightmares is just so big and just wouldn't feel as fun without the clumping mechanic being used to full effect on large groups (with a 5-man group, it would just feel kind of padded), I'm not sure how it could work. The Marionette was a thing, the tower was a place.

Maybe as a Fractal, but one where all of the boss fights that served as zerg-starters could just be randomized so each time you enter you don't know which ones you'll get. I also like the idea of everyone having to work together to carry the Antitoxin generators, in a throwback to Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, but without the insufferable slow movement speed that resulted in it forever being dubbed the "Fuckbucket."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah, a fractal and not a boss fractal. it'd be most similar to the uncategorized one really, with less platforming. The "toxin effect" could do agony on higher levels so that you really had to watch the canister things.

BraXzy

I want to try this so called "Wawa" sandwich.

I already knew that but why specifically? :3

I'm in the process of making a Charr Warrior and I can't decide on a name. I think I'll keep BraXzy since you all love that name so much
or at least alternative versions >.>
but I'm thinking do I go the title route or try and follow the Charr naming scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom