• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Didn't even go there yet, I went to start the echo of past. I am so lost in term of lore.

Short Version:
A Crazy Sylvari named Scarlet gathered a bunch of enemy factions together, made a big ass drill and tore Lion's Arch a new asshole. This particular location in which she drilled caused the natural, flowing magic of the world to be redirected towards Maguuma and a slumbering Elder Dragon named Mordremoth, awakening him. We've since found the machine that made Scarlet crazy, gathered the various good races of the world to work together, fought off Mordremoth's champion when it attacked the Pale Tree and... that brings us to date. There's a lot more details, obviously, but those are the broad strokes. Oh yeah, Rytlock tried to dispel the Foefire but ended up trapped in the Mists.

1pm est for silverwaste right ?

Correct.

Mxrz

Haven't had any wvw luck in a while. Tried to pop in for some quick action and its been pretty dead lately. Not sure if its the server or the game at this point, even EotM was really dead on red/blue.

Falling damage traits are the most entertaining thing in the game. If combat is ever expanded, be nice to have more things like this. Give me a vertical dungeon where the only way to kill enemies is by dropping on their heads.

SteveWD40

Seems I was removed from the guild (been away a while) but since I have a new laptop, could I get an invite back in?

Fallco.1620

Thanks.

Achtius

Short Version:
A Crazy Sylvari named Scarlet gathered a bunch of enemy factions together, made a big ass drill and tore Lion's Arch a new asshole. This particular location in which she drilled caused the natural, flowing magic of the world to be redirected towards Maguuma and a slumbering Elder Dragon named Mordremoth, awakening him. We've since found the machine that made Scarlet crazy, gathered the various good races of the world to work together, fought off Mordremoth's champion when it attacked the Pale Tree and... that brings us to date. There's a lot more details, obviously, but those are the broad strokes. Oh yeah, Rytlock tried to dispel the Foefire but ended up trapped in the Mists.

Thanks! I think I stopped after lost shore. Are most of past living world stuff soloable? I might go back and do them all.

Thorgal

Thanks! I think I stopped after lost shore. Are most of past living world stuff soloable? I might go back and do them all.

Most of if not all of it is soloable eventhough some stuff is harder for one class then the other .

If you need help with any story chapters feel free to give a shout in guild chat and well come and help .

Retro

Yikes, you've been away for two years, basically, which means you've basically missed... well... everything. There have been 34 Living Story updates and 2 Feature Packs (they've started separating major mechanic changes from content updates) in the interim. Basically, everything on this list after the first two items, and this is an absurdly abbreviated list;

Features:
Here's a very quick list of the major features added to the game since launch. It is by no means exhaustive!
  • Costume Brawl.
  • Southsun Cove (map).
  • Fractals of the Mist.
  • Laurels (daily reward currency).
  • Guesting.
  • Guild Missions.
  • Revamped Ascalonian Catacombs (AC)
  • WvW XP and Upgrades.
  • Removal of Culling.
  • Custom Arenas and Spectator mode (PVP).
  • Achievement Rewards and UI.
  • Account Wallet for all currencies.
  • Champion and daily dungeon rewards.
  • Account-wide Magic Find.
  • Ascended Weapons, Armor and Accessories.
  • Revamped Tequatl the Sunless fight.
  • Looking for Group (LFG) tool.
  • New "Aetherblade" path in Twilight Arbor.
  • Permanent changes to Kessex Hills after the temporary "Tower of Nightmares" event.
  • New Healing skills for each profession.
  • Triple-headed Wurm fight.
  • Edge of the Mists WvW map.
  • Lion's Arch invaded and destroyed (all services moved to Vigil Keep in Gendarran Fields).
  • Trait redesign, 40 new Grandmaster Traits.
  • Account-wide Dyes.
  • Account Wardrobe.
  • PVP Reward Tracks
  • Megaservers.
A full list of all updates, with descriptions of what they added to the game, can be found here.

Season One's storyline isn't completely replayable (yet; they've said it's something they'd like to make happen), though you can still see the aftermath of those events (namely Lion's Arch, but also Kessex Hills and a few other spots around the world).

Season Two is when they overhauled the Story Journal, which allows each episode to be replayed. Each episode is free if you log in while it is active or can be purchased later for slightly less than a large fry at McDonalds. I believe you can also tag along with someone who has it unlocked, but you won't be able to earn any rewards or make any progress from those chapters. If you do decide to pick them up, they're definitely soloable.

Beyond that, it might be best to join / re-join GAFGuild, so we can answer any questions directly in-game. Just post your account name (name.####) or a character name and we'll get you in asap.

Retro

Almost fell out of my chair when we saw EG at the Skritt Challenge :D

As soon as they rolled in my first reaction was to keep Kos from getting himself banned. My second was to start the Challenge as soon as possible so we could just get it over and done with; they get to do their whole crazy stacking thing sooner, and we don't have to deal with their... crazy.. stacking.. thing. Yeah.

Major features

Costume brawl.

Oh retro.

Grabbed the bullet points off the wiki page and trimmed the fat. Like it or not, it's a post-launch addition to the game around which a not insubstantial number of items revolves.

Achtius

Each episode is free if you log in while it is active or can be purchased later for slightly less than a large fry at McDonalds.

Holy crap. Didn't know that. Should of just log on just to get it while it was free.

Beyond that, it might be best to join / re-join GAFGuild, so we can answer any questions directly in-game. Just post your account name (name.####) or a character name and we'll get you in asap.

I cant play during the weekday. Maybe I'll ask someone to add me next week.

Thanks for the info tho :)

Retro

Holy crap. Didn't know that. Should of just log on just to get it while it was free.

I cant play during the weekday. Maybe I'll ask someone to add me next week.

Thanks for the info tho :)

Yeah, when Season 2 started we made a thread over on Gaming Side about it and tried to tell folks that logging in, even if they don't want to play now, they'd at least have it unlocked for later. Like I said though, it's pretty cheap to pick an episode or two up if you want.

As for the guild, we don't have any requirements or anything on play time. Play when you want, if you want, or not at all. We do occasionally remove people from the guild when we get near the 500 player cap (I think we're around 450 right now), but it's just to free up space for new / returning players and is welcome back any time.

Thorgal

I am a Khaleesi from today forward .

gw22014-11-1002-23-44r5urf.jpg

Someone give me a Raw horse heart for me to eat to make it official .

Spyware

I only like toy/robot/hologram/stuff and baby minis. Everything else look a bit silly to me. Why is this otherwise perfectly normal looking human/animal/monster so small? What is it? Creepy! :D

They should have made baby llamas and baby teqs!

nataku

Did that chest farm in the Silverwastes for about 30 minutes ago earlier.

What the fuck.

No way that doesn't get nerfed this week.

5il3nc3r

I only like toy/robot/hologram/stuff and baby minis. Everything else look a bit silly to me. Why is this otherwise perfectly normal looking human/animal/monster so small? What is it? Creepy! :D

100% agree. It just comes of lazy to me. Of the MMOs i'm playing FF14 easily has the best looking pets. Worst goes to GW2.

leng jai

All the mini humanoids are terrible that's for sure. Some of the minis are way too fucking big also. ArenaNet really lack any consistency or logic to half the stuff they put in the game I'm afraid.

swnny

Short Version:

I find it funny how you managed to pretty much sum a year worth of story telling content in 3 sentences. There are a lot more details to it, but it kinda shows how slow the story/world evolved in a year or so...
Truth is this last episode really do hyped me and I'm eagerly waiting for tomorrow's reveal of the next episode. Not expecting new professions, weapons or anything of that sort, but I'm excited to see Rytlock's story.

spiritfox

The minis are pretty lazy IMO. I rather have more stuff that looks like it can exist in world rather than shrunk down NPCs or enemies.

Spyware

The few good minis are really good, mostly the baby animals. My biggest problem with minis is that they are not as fast as the player and always end up way behind/teleporting.

I hope Rytlock doesn't act like a douchd and tell us we would not be able to understand what he saw because it would make us blind as well.

Hedge

I hope Rytlock doesn't act like a douchd and tell us we would not be able to understand what he saw because it would make us blind as well.

He meets Kormir, eats her to mess with humanity, absorbs her powers, goes blind because Gods aren't good for your stomach.

Rytlock wreaks havoc in Tyria. Expansion to drain Rytlock with bloodstones.
New class introduced: Rytlock.

People think he's going to meet the forgotten.

Why would he have to go to the mists to meet the Forgotten? They live in the Crystal Desert.

Thanks for showing up to the event that you made a poster for.

TRAILER tomorrow.

Also a chance that GW2 China will update their website with new screenshots today.

Looks like Mordremoth's vines are sprouting out east.

I think the vines moving east is going to make it difficult for us to just move west and we will have to move underground to go west. Imagine the Silverwastes descending down similar to how Dry Top is very vertical.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Everyone was so excited about this last update, I was expecting Abaddon putting on a cabaret show. When it ended I was like, "oh".

Certainly much better than the snail paced story we've had so far, but still not really delivering on the "omg!!!".

So, quick question about the "Living Story". When I go to my quest log/menu it shows the previous steps "Unlock at 80" but they are 200 gems each, while the new ones just released don't have a price tag on them, just the "Unlock at 80" thing.

Am I going to have to pay cash to see the previous parts of this?

So, quick question about the "Living Story". When I go to my quest log/menu it shows the previous steps "Unlock at 80" but they are 200 gems each, while the new ones just released don't have a price tag on them, just the "Unlock at 80" thing.

Am I going to have to pay cash to see the previous parts of this?

Yeah you unlock each episode just by log-ing in when they are active (2 week period). If you did not log-in at all during an episode then whenever you decide to play you have to pay 200gems to unlock it. If you only care about the story but not the rewards you could try running those missions with people who have it unlocked already just so you can see the story.

Yeah you unlock each episode just by log-ing in when they are active (2 week period). If you did not log-in at all during an episode then whenever you decide to play you have to pay 200gems to unlock it. If you only care about the story but not the rewards you could try running those missions with people who have it unlocked already just so you can see the story.

So I'll have the current ones unlocked even though I may not get to them in the next two weeks?

Kind of a bummer about having to pay for them, but I guess they are pretty cheap and I can just pretend they are expansions. The shitty part is that I play with my fiance and I'll probably pay for hers to be unlocked too!

So I'll have the current ones unlocked even though I may not get to them in the next two weeks?
Yes. As long as you logged in this week, you can play Echos of the Past whenever you want.

Kind of a bummer about having to pay for them, but I guess they are pretty cheap and I can just pretend they are expansions. The shitty part is that I play with my fiance and I'll probably pay for hers to be unlocked too!
I think with current exchange rate of gold to gems, you might be able to pick up an episode for about 30gold.

What if Rytlock didn't jump into the Mists, but the hole was actually a portal into the past? I would love to go back in time to find Rytlock. It would open up the narrative in such great ways, like meeting Livia or interacting with other GW1 characters, or even going to Pre-Searing again. It would kind of make sense for the curse to try and repair a past moment in history too, to try and prevent Ascalon falling in the first place.

spiritfox

Everyone was so excited about this last update, I was expecting Abaddon putting on a cabaret show. When it ended I was like, "oh".

Certainly much better than the snail paced story we've had so far, but still not really delivering on the "omg!!!".

I... err... why do you want to see that... not that I'm interested... maybe...

Cuz that Abaddon, he a dancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozvyKAKgfQ

Best Abaddon, however, is a fighter and a lover.

What if Rytlock didn't jump into the Mists, but the hole was actually a portal into the past? I would love to go back in time to find Rytlock. It would open up the narrative in such great ways, like meeting Livia or interacting with other GW1 characters, or even going to Pre-Searing again. It would kind of make sense for the curse to try and repair a past moment in history too, to try and prevent Ascalon falling in the first place.

"hey guys, we just got a writer that isn't completely horrible!"
*great! have him do a time-traveling plot!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom