• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedge

Finally, my last character is now 80. Now I have all classes (and then some) at 80's.

...now what

I was where you were at a year ago. Then I just got stuck in the dailies/monthly routines and burned out. The constant dissappointment of lack of precursors for two years didn't help, haha. And I hated the idea of purchasing something I wanted to work towards.
Then I just quit a few months ago, and decided to start up again once the living story continued. But it's difficult to play again, somehow.
If your main goal of playing was to reach 80 for all characters, then I suggest you take a small pause to not burn out. It sucks that even though there's new content, I'm not enjoying it because some of the old frustrations still linger.

But maybe that's just me. If you still love it with a passion, then you could always achievement hunt and craft ascended? Or grind for a legendary? Or maybe work on PvP or the like?

What if Rytlock didn't jump into the Mists, but the hole was actually a portal into the past? I would love to go back in time to find Rytlock. It would open up the narrative in such great ways, like meeting Livia or interacting with other GW1 characters, or even going to Pre-Searing again. It would kind of make sense for the curse to try and repair a past moment in history too, to try and prevent Ascalon falling in the first place.

Are you trying to kill the story?

Hedge

What if Rytlock didn't jump into the Mists, but the hole was actually a portal into the past? I would love to go back in time to find Rytlock. It would open up the narrative in such great ways, like meeting Livia or interacting with other GW1 characters, or even going to Pre-Searing again. It would kind of make sense for the curse to try and repair a past moment in history too, to try and prevent Ascalon falling in the first place.

I can almost taste the enraged tears of all GW1 fans reading this.

Shiokazu

maybe what ritlock went inside was like a oblivion gate. and it took him to the instance where abadon is.

and maybe it is tied with the fact of abadon giving magic back to people, and then its tied to the rise of the dragons.

i dont know, he WAS the god of secrets wasnt him? he knew things nobody ever knew.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I still have two free slots! But I am saving for the inevitable tengu.

Hah! As though.

Welcome to the club.

I suggest quitting after you've geared them all.

They're all exotic geared with right stats! Though my most used characters, warrior and ele, are ascended-geared.

I was where you were at a year ago. Then I just got stuck in the dailies/monthly routines and burned out. The constant dissappointment of lack of precursors for two years didn't help, haha. And I hated the idea of purchasing something I wanted to work towards.
Then I just quit a few months ago, and decided to start up again once the living story continued. But it's difficult to play again, somehow.
If your main goal of playing was to reach 80 for all characters, then I suggest you take a small pause to not burn out. It sucks that even though there's new content, I'm not enjoying it because some of the old frustrations still linger.

But maybe that's just me. If you still love it with a passion, then you could always achievement hunt and craft ascended? Or grind for a legendary? Or maybe work on PvP or the like?

Actually I feel like I'm freed with more time for GW2 now that I have all 80's. I can do stuff with my most used characters.

What's a good build calculator? Only one I found was in German, the gw2db one also doesn't seem to like Chrome for some reason. Is there an official one anywhere?

gw2skills.net

Just click the flag thing at the top to change language.

Also you should learn german. It is the language of beer and, by extension, love, after all.

Also of terrific pork dishes.

Hedge

Is there any weight to support Tengu would be the next GW race or is it just a GAF wish?

The only race that seems to support any evidence of any playability is perhaps the (personal story spoiler)
Largos who appears at the last parts of your characters story. When asked about the future of the Largos, writers have stated that they've got plans for the race already - though they'd neither confirm nor deny their playability.

Considering how there was no reaction from the Tengu neither when Scarlet attacked nor in the personal story (that I can recall), I'd say it's more a wish. They even killed your character if you got too close to their gates as Scarlet destroyed LA.

When people make a case for the Tengu, it's based more on the fact that they were supposed to have been included in the orginal release, and the fact that their racial city is right next to LA.

I'd say Kodans would be made playable before Tengu, but that's mostly because we pretty much already have playable furless kodans.

Tengu, with anet's track record with armor on charr? Yeaaaah, won't look so hot.

Ashodin

I'd say Kodans would be made playable before Tengu, but that's mostly because we pretty much already have playable furless kodans.

Tengu, with anet's track record with armor on charr? Yeaaaah, won't look so hot.
Nah son they already said Tengu are first, they have them already fitted for armor and weapons.

Hedge

Nah son they already said Tengu are first, they have them already fitted for armor and weapons.

I just don't see any reason story-wise to include them. I mean they're terribly xenophobic and haven't shown any interest in interaction, save from a few NPC's dotted around the world.
They don't seem interested in investing ressources to fight the ED, nor do their history have anything to do with the ED threat. Unless their city is suddenly under attack from something.
Kodan were driven south by Jormag who basically killed everything and everyone, and the Largos have the DSD to battle and an agent who already has helped take down an elder dragon. They seem far more likely storywise to me, honestly.

To make the Tengu a playable race would just seem sort of pushy, unless you magically find a new faction of Tengu in Maguuma or some such.

Besides I think Tengu look dull and uninspired

Ashodin

Game needs more bestial races to keep the designers working on that stuff imo.
And we have no idea. There could be a faction inside the dominion of winds that wants to help.

Spyware

Insanely more options with Tengu than walking polar bears tho :p

Just look at them <3
4274396_orig.jpg

And yeah right now they don't talk to the other races... which means we have no idea what's going on in there! They could be at war for all we know.

Maybe some of them have begun thinking that it's not such a good idea to just hide behind walls after all and are plotting to overthrow whatever leadership they have and so on. There are a lot of plot reasons they could come up with that makes them join the other races.

Hedge

Just look at them <3

Variety doesn't equal good, and the above is a great example of that. Either way, we'll know in time. Since the game is in Anets hands there is little sense in debating over it, since for all we know they could just say *BOOM* here's a new playable spider race that's been hiding under the earth for like a few weeks gogogogo! They could go in any direction and the living story does well show that they often overlook or retcon their own lore in doing so.

So all we can do is sit here and wish really hard. I'm wishing super hard for honourable polar bear warriors and glowing underwater fish-people. <3

Just look at them <3

And yeah right now they don't talk to the other races... which means we have no idea what's going on in there! They could be at war for all we know.

Maybe some of them have begun thinking that it's not such a good idea to just hide behind walls after all and are plotting to overthrow whatever leadership they have and so on. There are a lot of plot reasons they could come up with that makes them join the other races.

Their build kinda looks like Charr's with a bird head..no thanks..

Hedge

Their build kinda looks like Charr's with a bird head..no thanks..

If you look at them in-game, they basically are Charr with bird heads. I believe the even use their animations - which of course makes sense, given that they're NPC's still.

I guess if there were made playable, they could retcon their look and give them an overhaul. But I wouldn't expect any big deviations from their skeletons or models.

But yes, I've never quite understood why people liked them. I found their culture rather bland in GW1, and their general designs seemed really boring as well. Maybe it's because people believe that when Tengu return, we'll be going to Cantha to re-establish contact to their old frenemies? That doesn't sound very appealing to me either, so I dunno. :(

Spyware

Oh btw. Just remembered.
We do have an idea of what's going on with the Tengu. There are destroyers in the Dominion! I totally forgot that.
Also their move to Tyria have everything to do with the dragons. They saw Zhaitan's rise as a sign to return to Tyria. And now they have a problem with Primordus, or at least his minions. Plenty Elder Dragon connections there.

Using the same skeleton is a plus, actually. Maybe make some new idle stuff and such (the run animation can't be on all fours and so on) but for armor and weapons it's a good thing. Would make them put more work into charr armor too :D

Hedge

Oh btw. Just remembered.
We do have an idea of what's going on with the Tengu. There are destroyers in the Dominion! I totally forgot that.

Eh? Aren't the destroyers just basically outside their walls? I mean yes they're fighting them, but nothing seems to suggest that the destroyers are actually inside their walls - unless I'm missing something?

Also, who said their return to Tyria was because of Zhaitan? That's interesting. Even more so, if they basically said, "oooh Zhaitan is up, let's to go Tyria and ignore him there!".

Hedge

Just poked at the wiki. Sadly it's bedtime so I can't run around to the NPCs and fact check myself or check the other sources atm. Gonna do that tomorrow! :D

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious, hah. Since I've mostly ignored the Tengu, I only know what I picked up from interactions here and there, and from discussions with a few lore-enthusiasts on the official forums. :)

I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious, hah. Since I've mostly ignored the Tengu, I only know what I picked up from interactions here and there, and from discussions with a few lore-enthusiasts on the official forums. :)
Destroyers come from underground. They burrow right outside thier walls and tengu NPCs outside the wall in Kessex Hills talk about fighting destroyers inside the wall.

Retro

[Citation Needed]

Also their move to Tyria have everything to do with the dragons. They saw Zhaitan's rise as a sign to return to Tyria. And now they have a problem with Primordus, or at least his minions. Plenty Elder Dragon connections there.

Not quite:

In 1127 AE, Kisu's successor, Usoku, finished what the Ministry had started and annexed the vassal states of Kurzick and Luxon back into the empire, before beginning a campaign to drive out non-humans such as tengu and dredge. Against the might of the Canthan military, the tengu had no choice but to flee north, to Tyria and Elona. (source)

1127 AE is 55 years after Factions and 198 years before Guild Wars 2 begins. They were basically exiled from Cantha.

hythloday

Do you have a source for that? That seems like the exact kind of thing they would not say, specifically to avoid the "OMG ANET YOU PROMISED" that would erupt if they decided to do something different or delayed in implementing it. (Edit: Retro is a vermicious canid, Edit 2: "Uh, I believe vermicious knid is spelled with a "k" WHICH REINFORCES MY STATEMENT ENTIRELY RETRO.)

In other news, I've been playing my elementalist and loving it. It's really dumb but the reason I picked it up was I saw that dervish-inspired outfit someone datamined and I thought that would look amazing. So I got from 21 to 26 in not much time at all yesterday. I liked the leveling rewards a lot.

Spyware

Destroyers come from underground. They burrow right outside thier walls and tengu NPCs outside the wall in Kessex Hills talk about fighting destroyers inside the wall.
Yeah there's at least two tengu that mention destroyers getting inside. The Kessex Heart NPC is the one with most info on it.

Not quite:
1127 AE is 55 years after Factions and 198 years before Guild Wars 2 begins. They were basically exiled from Cantha.
Yup, but that's only the first ones from Cantha. The ones in Elona and other parts of Tyria (like Shiverpeaks) gathered at the Dominion too.
"Some of our ancestors came from Cantha. Many others came from Elona and other parts of Tyria. They migrated here from all over, seeking safe haven from the Great Tsunami."

there's more but as I said it's bed time D: Too bad because I like discussions like this :D

Retro

I'll have to get a screenshot or two from in there, there's a couple spots where you can look behind you and there's all sorts of cool pyramid-like crystals surrounding you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now that the spoiler embargo gas been lifted i can finally post these .

3200 X 1800p downsampling goodness

gw22014-11-0500-06-26ihuqe.jpg

gw22014-11-0500-00-19vru9c.jpg

gw22014-11-0423-54-51equ9u.jpg

gw22014-11-0423-52-0236ud8.jpg
those are goooorgeous. Just to be clear though, it's Tuesday to Tuesday (1 week), so technically tomorrow our embargo is up ;)
But I forgive you this time.

Hope ya'll enjoyed that Amber Windfall while it lasted :D

RIP Amberfarm 2014-2014

Farmed about 1200-1300 Chests in the last 3 days or so, sold every scrap of mats the farm supplied and made really good bank.

I have a gut feeling that the farm will be spiritually reborn into a lap-running farm to gather chests though. Get a group big enough, run a big circle, all hop over to a new map and repeat.

Fixed a bug in which Lost Bandit Chests near Amber Sandfall spawned too fast and too numerously.

I just don't buy it was a bug, had it been a bug they would have fixed it in days not a week later, what I believe is Anet saw what it was doing to the economy and how many QQers they had on the forums, I thought it should have been nerf, it was just way to fucking easy to make money..but Anet don't lie to me about it being a bug.

Cracklox

Hi GAF, long time lurker, first time poster. Go easy

So I just picked this up over the weekend as a part of the half price sale. Have 20-25 hours and around a level 26 thief. LOVING it. Hooks are in bad. Having just come over from Marvel Heroes (awesome game by the way if anyone is at all curious) which is MMO-ey and not having had alot of other experience with the genre (gamed my whole life, just never got into an MMO), I've got a bunch of questions that I'm hoping you good folks could help with.

- Absolutely love exploring the world. Everything looks great and really varied. Oh, and its fudg'n HUGE! My question though is other than the joy of seeing some great vistas and hunting down all the shiny map indicators (viewpoints, skill points and such) is their any point to exploring all the nooks and crannies? I mean, so far loot chests (outside of mission reward ones) don't seem to be a thing, or at least that I've found. I guess to paraphrase, are there things to seek out on the map that's worthwhile and not indicated?

- Probably the other main thing I'm curious about is class advancement as you level. So far I don't seem to have much choice in what I allocate as my main skills. They seem to be determined by what 2 weapons I'm wielding at the time (which I kinda like btw). Is there a way I can unlock more skills per 'weapon setup' or make the preset ones more powerful? I'm hoarding skill points for the time being in the hope that I can throw some into those skills. Which leads to the second part of this (lengthy) question.

Skill points seem to be primarily for utility skills at the moment. The thing is i've got probably 30 or so unused skill points that I can't see a need for right now. I unlocked a few utility skills and have a setup that I like, and have perused the remainder and there's nothing super appealing that screams gotta have now. Obviously there's still higher tiers I have to get to, and I'm sure I'll spend points there, but given you can only equip 3 skills at a time, is there a need to unlock all these skills that, alot of, I'll never use? As much as I like trying new powers in these games alot of the time it comes down to finding something fun and effective that you (i?) tend to stick with.

So more paraphrasing, outside of some higher tiered utility skills, how does the game go about making me feel more powerful as I level?

(oh and aware that you can checkout level 80 versions in WvW - but i'm more interested in the process of getting there, as opposed to being there. I'm a journey kinda guy.....)

- Living story was part of what got me to check this game out and sounds really interesting. Is it best to get my thief to 80 ASAP so I get into some of that stuff? With that said I love leveling in these games, and a couple of the other classes are screaming at me to check them out (Ele and Ranger namely) I want to see the world evolve though, and feel like I'm missing out while I'm leveling. Also, apparently at this stage there seems to be no way to replay the events of season 1?

- Can I score an invite to the Guild? Is it a problem that I live in the mystical land of Australia and we use a whole different time arrangement then most of you? I think I've worked out that 6pm here (prime-time gaming time) works out to be around 1 or 2 in the morning over there. Is there anyone from the guild from about these parts? When I signed up the choice of servers was either USA or Europe basically, so I don't think I even had a local option

There's probably a bunch more (crafting? NO idea.....), but given succinctness isn't proving to be a strong point so far, I'll spare you all (for now). I also wanna work out some stuff for myself.

Anyways, good to have popped my MMO and GAF posting cherries in 1 go. Feeling proper slutty :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't like Iargos. They remind me of sylvari too much. And they're too humanesque (elvish) for me.

Also tengu adds the missing asian flavor that people apparently have been asking. Also there's that tengu forge dude.

Also early in GW2's life there's this tengu spirit enemies in Malchor's Leap, but apparently they vanished for some odd reason.

New Build:

Yep.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck D:

Spyware

Hi GAF, long time lurker, first time poster. Go easy
Welcome! :D

I guess to paraphrase, are there things to seek out on the map that's worthwhile and not indicated?
There is something called Jumping Puzzles, platforming challenges that lead to reward chests. Also some chests just tucked away in caves and enemy camps, and a couple of "mini dungeons". So there are some treasures to be found!

As much as I like trying new powers in these games alot of the time it comes down to finding something fun and effective that you (i?) tend to stick with.
I know what you mean about sticking with a setup, but GW2 is more fun if you switch around the utilities depending on the situation. Area with lots and lots of condition? You'll need to grab maybe more than one condition removal. Group content? Buff the party members! Solo? Go for powerful utilities that only boost yourself. Switching skills for the different encounters is something they've tried to teach people lately :)
Also, Skill Points are a currency (you get infinite amounts of it) so even if you don't spend it on skills it might be worth something later. But that's end game stuff!

So more paraphrasing, outside of some higher tiered utility skills, how does the game go about making me feel more powerful as I level?
Traits are basically the only thing that separates lower and higher levels. So traits I guess! :D They are sadly not that interesting atm, but a couple of them will make your setup feel much better. Depends a bit on the class you play too.

- Living story was part of what got me to check this game out and sounds really interesting. Is it best to get my thief to 80 ASAP so I get into some of that stuff? With that said I love leveling in these games, and a couple of the other classes are screaming at me to check them out (Ele and Ranger namely) I want to see the world evolve though, and feel like I'm missing out while I'm leveling. Also, apparently at this stage there seems to be no way to replay the events of season 1?
Sadly right now there is no way of replaying the first season, no. They have said that they are looking at a solution but it's still a "maybe someday". If you log on every two weeks at least, you'll unlock the current LS episode and have that playable forever, no hurry. The open world content won't wait for you tho. New zones and stuff is permanent but they are changing, so if it feels important to see it all then yeah maybe focus on getting one character to 80 to experience as much of that as possible. You can always level another and explore the rest of the world slowly afterwards :) Just don't stress it too much, do whatever feels best.

- Can I score an invite to the Guild? Is it a problem that I live in the mystical land of Australia and we use a whole different time arrangement then most of you? I think I've worked out that 6pm here (prime-time gaming time) works out to be around 1 or 2 in the morning over there. Is there anyone from the guild from about these parts? When I signed up the choice of servers was either USA or Europe basically, so I don't think I even had a local option
Post your account name ("name.####", viewable by pressing Y in game, for example) and someone will invite you swiftly! What server did you choose? The only really important part is if it was a European or American one. There is basically only two servers for PvE content with the megaserver system. I think there's an oceanic playerbase on both so there will be people on during your prime time for sure. :) I hope you chose NA tho so you can play with the guild!

I hope my answers were not too confusing (or that I got anything wrong, eek!). It's early! :D
Again, welcome to both GAF and the wonderful land of Tyria! :)

spiritfox

Keep in mind that weapons all have the same damage values per level per rarity, so it's more about what weapon skills you like and using the associated weapon. Traits, which unlock at lvl 31, can buff your various skills and even add new effects, but you are mostly playing around with your 10 skills in your hotbar.

I would also recommend you to learn the combo system. It's something that really changes how you play.

SteveWD40

- Absolutely love exploring the world. Everything looks great and really varied. Oh, and its fudg'n HUGE! My question though is other than the joy of seeing some great vistas and hunting down all the shiny map indicators (viewpoints, skill points and such) is their any point to exploring all the nooks and crannies? I mean, so far loot chests (outside of mission reward ones) don't seem to be a thing, or at least that I've found. I guess to paraphrase, are there things to seek out on the map that's worthwhile and not indicated?.

The only thing I am qualified to answer, and that answer is: yes!

I love to just wander about, more often than not I will trip over: a jumping puzzle, an event, a boss...not found loot chests other than at the end of puzzles yet but they do exist. The jumping puzzles are great as they are not often obvious and you have to keep an eye out for what might be a viable route up / across something.

Oh and it's stunning, I just got a new gaming laptop (asus rog) and on all high settings at 80fps it's like playing in a painting.

I've used so many transmutation charges in the past two weeks, just to change my armor and weapons around to styles I've already used before. Oh well. Easy come, easy go.

Sinister -> Soldier -> Berserker

15297065494104768512_yls2i.jpg

The Sinister set and the "Ebola Warrior" are something I've never really done before, until the Silverwastes. I'm not used to waiting on stacks of bleed to build just to kill a random mob. Greatsword and Axe skills tend to see more immediate results in small encounters. Definitely useful in niche situations like fighting the husks though.

I also made a Nomad armor set at the same time as the Sinister set (so I would have both of the Season 2 sets), but I have no idea what kind of circumstance someone is suppose to use it in. It takes a really long time to kill anything when wearing it. Which means I usually end up taking a ton of extra damage and finding myself in more danger of dying than just wearing Berserker and killing things outright. I will say that in any group situation it gives you a nice bubble of protection, but that also means you are relying on everyone around you to carry the event. I guess you could try to play field medic, reviving people and using healing shouts or something along those lines, but you're useless for killing anything directly.

I'm close to having enough gold to buy Dawn! Too bad I don't have the Mad King's Labyrinth or Amber Sandfall to farm anymore to make it the rest of the way. My main income sources from the past few weeks have dried up.

Skill points seem to be primarily for utility skills at the moment. The thing is i've got probably 30 or so unused skill points that I can't see a need for right now. I unlocked a few utility skills and have a setup that I like, and have perused the remainder and there's nothing super appealing that screams gotta have now. Obviously there's still higher tiers I have to get to, and I'm sure I'll spend points there, but given you can only equip 3 skills at a time, is there a need to unlock all these skills that, alot of, I'll never use? As much as I like trying new powers in these games alot of the time it comes down to finding something fun and effective that you (i?) tend to stick with.

For utility skills while leveling, a thief is quite limited. You'll most likely be better served by rolling with Assassin's Signet, Signet of Agility and Signet of Shadows than anything else. Signet of Shadows is particularly important due to the 25% movement speed buff.

You don't need to unlock all of them, just enough to get to the next rank.
Best thief skills after the signets are Smoke Screen, Shadow Refuge, Haste, Blinding Powder, Shadow Step, Roll for Initiative, Infiltrator's Signet and Scorpion Wire. The rest are either absurdly situational or downright useless.

My thief always felt weak in open world content while leveling, then became a posh monster after being properly geared at 80, so ymmv.

I'd say the best way to level thief is to grab a shortbow, head for eotm, and drop cluster bombs and choking gas on everything, buuut that's not something a guy that is worried about "the journey" should do.
Might wanna try to roll with sword+pistol, just for the pistol whip. That avoidance helps tons with damage mitigation.

But really, whatever you do, get signet of shadows asap.

I also made a Nomad armor set at the same time as the Sinister set (so I would have both of the Season 2 sets), but I have no idea what kind of circumstance someone is suppose to use it in. It takes a really long time to kill anything when wearing it. Which means I usually end up taking a ton of extra damage and finding myself in more danger of dying than just wearing Berserker and killing things outright. I will say that in any group situation it gives you a nice bubble of protection, but that also means you are relying on everyone around you to carry the event. I guess you could try to play field medic, reviving people and using healing shouts or something along those lines, but you're useless for killing anything directly.

Yerp, its a wubwub healer set.

@lox769, please post your accountname.#### or character name and we will send you an invite.

It's nice to see an Australian player that likes the game. Our other Aussie plays the game a lot but hates it.

@ike how do you expect to save for dawn if you keep making all these sets? Ps once you get dawn I think you might get depressed at all the items you need to turn it into a legendary since you've been selling all mats.

@ike how do you expect to save for dawn if you keep making all these sets? Ps once you get dawn I think you might get depressed at all the items you need to turn it into a legendary since you've been selling all mats.

I already made the Gifts of Mastery/Fortune/Sunrise. Those money/farming time sinks are behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom