• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracklox

Thank Sirs and/or Siresses'es. I type this slightly frustrated as I cannot log on at the moment. Latest patch got stuck on the old '1 file left to download' which I've googled the hell out of and is apparently best fixed by the language switch thing on the launcher. Tried restarting multiple times, waiting 10-15 mins for their 'safeguard' to kick in etc but still won't let me get that damn file. Currently downloading the 16000 or files in the German language pack and crossing fingers....

The only thing I am qualified to answer, and that answer is: yes!

I love to just wander about, more often than not I will trip over: a jumping puzzle, an event, a boss...not found loot chests other than at the end of puzzles yet but they do exist. The jumping puzzles are great as they are not often obvious and you have to keep an eye out for what might be a viable route up / across something.

Oh and it's stunning, I just got a new gaming laptop (asus rog) and on all high settings at 80fps it's like playing in a painting.

Good to hear. Have been having a good look around and found what I thought were some chests but didn't have an option to open them. I'll keep on looking...

Re graphics - I just got an upgraded rig through work, after years of having my crappy laptop nearly explode when I tried to run any game, and I know what you mean. Opening my eyes to the whole PC 'master race' thing when it comes to graphics. It really is beautiful just about everywhere you look. I sort of realised it was going to be a better looker then what I thought when, with little effort, I made a quite attractive female human :) Was so easy to get something decent compared to the mucking around you have to do with other editors

For utility skills while leveling, a thief is quite limited. You'll most likely be better served by rolling with Assassin's Signet, Signet of Agility and Signet of Shadows than anything else. Signet of Shadows is particularly important due to the 25% movement speed buff.

You don't need to unlock all of them, just enough to get to the next rank.
Best thief skills after the signets are Smoke Screen, Shadow Refuge, Haste, Blinding Powder, Shadow Step, Roll for Initiative, Infiltrator's Signet and Scorpion Wire. The rest are either absurdly situational or downright useless.

My thief always felt weak in open world content while leveling, then became a posh monster after being properly geared at 80, so ymmv.

I'd say the best way to level thief is to grab a shortbow, head for eotm, and drop cluster bombs and choking gas on everything, buuut that's not something a guy that is worried about "the journey" should do.
Might wanna try to roll with sword+pistol, just for the pistol whip. That avoidance helps tons with damage mitigation.

But really, whatever you do, get signet of shadows asap.

Yerp, its a wubwub healer set.

Duely noted. My favorite combat ever in any fantasy RPG/MMO/watever is Dragons Dogma(please don't hate me). One of the few RPGS I ever played where I was constantly spoiling for a fight cos beating things up was so fun (in glorious single digit frames at times!). Loved the ranger classes and being able to switch between duel daggers and bows seamlessly. Basically I've just been trying to emulate that and having good fun however un-optimal it is. Once I've opened up a few more options and leveled some more i'll definetley look into more effective builds.

So far though for a game that has so much more to it then a combat system, the combat system itself has been good fun. For an MMO thats a big plus

Post your account name ("name.####", viewable by pressing Y in game, for example) and someone will invite you swiftly! What server did you choose? The only really important part is if it was a European or American one. There is basically only two servers for PvE content with the megaserver system. I think there's an oceanic playerbase on both so there will be people on during your prime time for sure. :) I hope you chose NA tho so you can play with the guild!

I hope my answers were not too confusing (or that I got anything wrong, eek!). It's early! :D
Again, welcome to both GAF and the wonderful land of Tyria! :)

Yup that'd probaly help. I'm Cracklox.6247. I chose the server listed in the OP. Forget the name, but should be good to go for some jolly co-op. I'd be on now but damn patch issues....

Keep in mind that weapons all have the same damage values per level per rarity, so it's more about what weapon skills you like and using the associated weapon. Traits, which unlock at lvl 31, can buff your various skills and even add new effects, but you are mostly playing around with your 10 skills in your hotbar.

I would also recommend you to learn the combo system. It's something that really changes how you play.
Combo system seems great. I think in the middle of some chaos I triggered a few a couple of times, but I need to look properly into how they work. I know its combining some of your powers with other players for various effects, but working out what synergies with what will take some time.

Oh and a shoutout to whoever rigged up the Xpadder support in the OP. Without that I'm not sure I'd be posting here right now. The first hour or two of W,A,S,D controls were killing me (figuratively in real life, literally in game, to clarify) after spending most of my life with a controller in hand. Its neat being able to fight and explore with controller and manage inventory and other such menial tasks with kb/m, switching with the press of a button.

Oh one thing on that. All the controls work great, except the weapon loadout switch, which shows as a click on the left thumbstick. That 1 hasn't worked at all. Any ideas?

Thanks again guys. Hope to see some of you in game soon

Invite sent Lox.

Make sure you press "Represent" after accepting Guild Invite so you can see guild chat.

Welcome to the best guild in the game.

Duely noted. My favorite combat ever in any fantasy RPG/MMO/watever is Dragons Dogma(please don't hate me). One of the few RPGS I ever played where I was constantly spoiling for a fight cos beating things up was so fun (in glorious single digit frames at times!). Loved the ranger classes and being able to switch between duel daggers and bows seamlessly. Basically I've just been trying to emulate that and having good fun however un-optimal it is. Once I've opened up a few more options and leveled some more i'll definetley look into more effective builds.

So far though for a game that has so much more to it then a combat system, the combat system itself has been good fun. For an MMO thats a big plus

Why would we hate you for having good taste, arisen?

giphy.gif

Oh nice.

Are you actually gonna keep Sunrise once you get precursor, or are you gonna sell it and keep farming so you can buy Eternity?

Eternity is the Legendary I'm ultimately seeking, so it would certainly make more sense to sell Sunrise and keep saving money to go directly to Eternity. I hadn't actually considered doing it that way before you mentioned it.

I'll have to think about it some more. I was excited about being so close to having any Legendary, but putting it off a little longer would get me a lot closer to the one I actually want.

Cracklox

Invite sent Lox.

Make sure you press "Represent" after accepting Guild Invite so you can see guild chat.

Welcome to the best guild in the game.

Thanking you! I'll rep oceanic time zone GAF as hard as possible. Hope there's more then 1 other aussie out there though, and it'd be even better if they enjoyed playing it ;-)

In other news, looks like I can finally get on. Longest 50 meg patch ever. LOL

Combo system seems great. I think in the middle of some chaos I triggered a few a couple of times, but I need to look properly into how they work. I know its combining some of your powers with other players for various effects, but working out what synergies with what will take some time.

Thanks again guys. Hope to see some of you in game soon
Keep in mind that you can combo your own abilities, too. Thieves get lots of smoke fields, which provide stealth with leaps and blasts. As an example, pistol skill 5 is a smoke field, while dagger skill 2 is a leap. Hit 5 and then 2, and you go invisible on top of doing damage, moving, and laying down a blinding aoe.

The wiki has a good page on all the combo finisher and field types, and the results on what they do. You can find it here. If you ever are in game and need to bring up that page, just type "/wiki combo" into the chat box and it'll bring up that page for you.

Cracklox

Why would we hate you for having good taste, arisen?

Phew. Wasn't sure of its consensus round here. Lets face it, its a bit of a technical mess, but I give approximately zero fucks about that when I'm dangling from the tusk of a 30 foot cyclops, while stabbing it in the face.

Man I'd love JUST that combat system with everything else the same in GW2. Dreamers gunna dream dream dream or however the song goes.

OT though. Patched and good to go. Time to level up

Eternity is the Legendary I'm ultimately seeking, so it would certainly make more sense to sell Sunrise and keep saving money to go directly to Eternity. I hadn't actually considered doing it that way before you mentioned it.

I'll have to think about it some more. I was excited about being so close to having any Legendary, but putting it off a little longer would get me a lot closer to the one I actually want.
Also I hear getting eternity, unlocks both twilight and sunrise.
I'm thinking of doing that with twilight once I craft it because the price for eternity is not that much more than twilight or sunrise.

Also I hear getting eternity, unlocks both twilight and sunrise.
I'm thinking of doing that with twilight once I craft it because the price for eternity is not that much more than twilight or sunrise.

Unlocking Eternity

If I sold Sunrise for the current ~3600g on the TP, I'd make 3060g after the 15% lost in fees. I would have already paid the 5% listing fee (180g), so I'd be sitting with 3240g in my wallet. 1660g away from buying Eternity outright (4900g).

Twilight costs 2735g total to craft going by current TP material prices (subject to change). Since I have another Gift of Mastery, I think I could buy everything else to make Twilight after selling Sunrise and profit another ~400g. I already have most of the Mystic Clovers too, so that would make the profit potentially even larger. I could make any legendary for that matter, depending on which one is the most profitable.

But that is only if (and a big if in my mind) I could actually sell the legendaries once I list them on the TP. I would be worried it would take weeks to sell them. How often do people buy them anyway? What is the supply like? There is the issue of being constantly undercut once you put it up and never being the lowest priced weapon. A 180g listing fee is way too much to try re-listing at a different price. My mind is all over the place thinking of ways to do this and ways it could go wrong, haha.

SteveWD40

Keep in mind that you can combo your own abilities, too. Thieves get lots of smoke fields, which provide stealth with leaps and blasts. As an example, pistol skill 5 is a smoke field, while dagger skill 2 is a leap. Hit 5 and then 2, and you go invisible on top of doing damage, moving, and laying down a blinding aoe.

The wiki has a good page on all the combo finisher and field types, and the results on what they do. You can find it here. If you ever are in game and need to bring up that page, just type "/wiki combo" into the chat box and it'll bring up that page for you.

Yeah, the Thief class can be nasty once you clock the combo's you can pull off.

For levelling in open world / wandering about I find Dagger/Pistol - Shortbow to be a good combo, with traits focused on stealthing you, blind fields, aoe blinds and bleeds etc...

Shadow Signet as mentioned, Caltrops and Shadow Refuge, the Stealth heal etc...

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I wish the game was revamped so I could fully understand these farms when they are released, without having to visit external sites.

As is, the only info I get on them from Anet is in patch notes when they fix the farm.

"Amber farm" > "downed state", on the confusion scale.

I wish the game was revamped so I could fully understand these farms when they are released, without having to visit external sites.

As is, the only info I get on them from Anet is in patch notes when they fix the farm.

If you need to know anything about the latest farm, just ask Lump.

Boring trailer and that rytlock appeared to use the normal model.

Rytlock did not feature in this trailer. You might be losing your mind.

Oh yeah. Saw it in a properly sized screen and it is clear now that that guy with boredom's edge is prolly his brother or something. Much like chickens, charr all look the same. My bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi GAF, long time lurker, first time poster. Go easy
Welcome! Hopefully we got you in the guild already.

Sounds like GW2 is right up your alley. The world will reward you if you just explore it- feel free to ask any questions in guild chat, there's usually a handful of people eager to help.
kOTnyeD.jpg

see you guys in the spring...
were people realllllly meant to live in such conditions?

It wasn't intended as a farm, so you'll never get any explanation :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... should I switch my thief from Rampager to Sinister?

Also woo! Got all achievements in Silverwastes (barring the Lost Badges, fuck you LBs!). And even got the Mordrem related ones in Iron Marches (save for the poison thing... how does one prevent it? It seems so hard to avoid).

I think I want to get some geodes but there aren't any people in DT.

Retro

Hi GAF, long time lurker, first time poster. Go easy

Welcome to the party / game / guild.

Absolutely love exploring the world.
i'm more interested in the process of getting there, as opposed to being there. I'm a journey kinda guy.
I love leveling in these games

head for eotm.

tZOS8.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMY3_G3njI
Tangled Path Trailer! November 18th update.
Sure looks like we are going underground.

Anyone else want to get on hype train with me?

I'll take a ticket to Hypeville, one-way please.

I think I want to get some geodes but there aren't any people in DT.

Must be the time difference, when I jumped in there last night to get Geodes for Mawdry the zone was jumping and there was even a guy calling out events in Map Chat. I was able to get in and get enough geodes for the recipe I needed rather quickly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Must be the time difference, when I jumped in there last night to get Geodes for Mawdry the zone was jumping and there was even a guy calling out events in Map Chat. I was able to get in and get enough geodes for the recipe I needed rather quickly.

Hmm... probably. I'll try in a different hour then.

Eh, it probably would make very little difference. Damage would go up against husks, down against everything else.

Ah I guess.

What's a good rune set for a condition damage thief?

Rune of the Aristocracy is near unmatched for melee condi.
120 CM badges a pop, tho.

Can also just go with rune of the thief. Cheap as dirt and probably a dps increase if you solo a lot or dont have a sigil of strength on your wep.

Hmm, sigil of force is probably still better than sigil of bursting. Can stack both. Would be more interesting if you were in sinister, tho.

Retro

And what, pray tell, is written right after that?

Man, you even changed the comma to a dot.

That Edge of the Mist even comes up in the discussion period is the joke, regardless of the "but" tacked on at the end. It's like having someone describe how hungry they are for a delicious meal they've been anticipating all week and suggesting they just get McDonalds instead because it's faster.

That Edge of the Mist even comes up in the discussion period is the joke, regardless of the "but" tacked on at the end. It's like having someone describe how hungry they are for a delicious meal they've been anticipating all week and suggesting they just get McDonalds instead because it's faster.
slow-clap-gif.gif

Game over, Coriolanus.

If you have to nitpick, you know your instance aint that good to begin with.

To continue your metaphor
^hey man, if youre really hungry, there's a McD right there, but given your tastes, i'd avoid it."

Dude, you overreacted. Chill.

Check out Runes of the Krait if you're talking pvp/wvw. It's based around condition damage and bleed duration, and the 6th ability is an AoE bleed/poison/torment on elite skill, for which thief has short cooldowns.

For everything. I completely blanked and forgot that a condi thief's bread and butter aint dagger poisonbleeds, but pistol dagger. If you're running bleeds solo, yeah, krait will be great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Daaaamn I totally skipped over the trailer. GIMME!
Tower of Nightmares
vibes, one of my favorite S1 releases <3

7 tomorrows to go. Always forget how it feels when there's a season going on.

I still haven't finished my Story Achievements from the first four episodes o_o I should really get on that.

edit: Rytlock isn't in that trailer.

Runes of the Krait are excellent for condi thief (use Basilisk venom). Runes of the Adventurer should also be considered if not using Feline Grace (which is the case for many thieves)

Also, if money is no object, consider Rune of Tormenting and making Shadow Strike your bread and butter.

Retro

If you have to nitpick, you know your instance aint that good to begin with.

To continue your metaphor
^hey man, if youre really hungry, there's a McD right there, but given your tastes, i'd avoid it."

Dude, you overreacted. Chill.

Well, shit, I honestly thought you were joking around. If I thought you were suggesting that a new player (especially one gushing about how much they love exploring and leveling) hop into EotM, I would have actually argued against it, but it's so absurd that I didn't think you were serious. That's why I just posted a GIF instead, and said "period" in italics as a crack about "changing the comma to a dot." I thought we were having a laugh.

Well, shit, I honestly thought you were joking around. If I thought you were suggesting that a new player (especially one gushing about how much they love exploring and leveling) hop into EotM, I would have actually argued against it, but it's so absurd that I didn't think you were serious. That's why I just posted a GIF instead, and said "period" in italics as a crack about "changing the comma to a dot." I thought we were having a laugh.

Given that i suggested the exact opposite, why would i think that?

Ahh, nevermind.

At least this exchange taught us all how quick Kos is to enter ball washer mode.

Ashodin

I think we all need to stop talking about periods and start talking about running through long corridors!!!! In the next update!!

Anet sent me a third Mini Llama for a mysterious reason and I have no idea what to do with it. I tried to give the second one away and even opened a ticket, but was denied.

2DIo3pY.jpg

Retro

Given that i suggested the exact opposite, why would i think that?

Ahh, nevermind.

Just the absurdity of mentioning it in the same breath seemed incredibly funny to me, like mentioning McDonalds to someone who's anticipating a five-star dining experience. It's just so out of place.

Eh, as you say, nevermind. I guess we're just on different wavelengths.

Anet sent me a third Mini Llama for a mysterious reason and I have no idea what to do with it. I tried to give the second one away and even opened a ticket, but was denied.

You should be able to roll all three at once, in place of your Mesmer clones.

Just the absurdity of mentioning it in the same breath seemed incredibly funny to me, like mentioning McDonalds to someone who's anticipating a five-star dining experience. It's just so out of place.

Eh, as you say, nevermind. I guess we're just on different wavelengths.

You should be able to roll all three at once, in place of your Mesmer clones.

If Polymock ever returns and I can have a party of 3 Mini Llamas, I'll be unstoppable.

Retro

If Polymock ever returns and I can have a party of 3 Mini Llamas, I'll be unstoppable.

You know, if they ever do get Polymock back in, that's where having a huuuuge variety of Minis is going to really pay off. Yeah, having a Mini Centaur or Inquest looks lame as a pet, but in Polymock they might have some unique skills that really contribute to your team composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom