• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiokazu

im still alive, just not at home, so playing guild wars is kinda hard.

STILL merry late christmas.

maybe i'll login on december 31 to spend a time with you guys.

We have a few Brazilian members already... and Aussies and Spanish and Swedish and Thai and all the hell over the states. The only nationality we have a problem with are Canadians (lulz).
Yeah I know. Appletoasty, TechWolf and Bumble are the worst.
the best

Mxrz

Well. Got a Dawn. Cheaper than expected, but it sucks being out of the four digit club. Eternity, get.

One good thing about all this pvp, I've been able to curbstomp some roamers in wvw. Hambow stronk.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So here I was minding my own business and killing tequatl, opening up the presents he gave to me when suddenly BAM

gw061xvumf.jpg

Ludovico

Working on my first Thief, I'm about level 17 now and using 2 daggers. and 2 pistols as my setup.
Not really sure how I feel about thief so far, does initiative build at a constant rate or is it based on the autoattack? Any tips or advice as I start branching out into specific skills and stats?

PS - Hope all ya'll are having a great holiday break! Got to see lots of family these past few days, but the family I missed most
was you guys.

Working on my first Thief, I'm about level 17 now and using 2 daggers. and 2 pistols as my setup.
Not really sure how I feel about thief so far, does initiative build at a constant rate or is it based on the autoattack? Any tips or advice as I start branching out into specific skills and stats?

PS - Hope all ya'll are having a great holiday break! Got to see lots of family these past few days, but the family I missed most
was you guys.

Initiative recharges at a constant rate, but there are traits that can give you initiative for various stuff (chance on autoattack, going stealth, etc) I highly recommend sword/pistol or sword/dagger at some point. Dagger/pistol is also really good once you have all 5 skills unlocked (use #5 then #2 for a stealth combo). Shortbow is best in groups or when you need ranged AoE damage. The blast combo on #2 is amazing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

was you guys.
Thief clicks around level 30, IMO. You need to get a grasp on how to survive despite the low armor and HP, and then you'll start dealing huge damage at low risk and, if you're anything like me, love it.

Init regen is a static 1 init every .75 seconds. However, there are MANY options for initative regen within your traits. I love the Gain Initiative on Steal for example, but there are lots of ways you can spec, or not, as you decide on your playstyle.

You've picked the two weapon sets I would describe as my least favorite. Pistol/Pistol in particular is extremely situational- ranged, single-target damage only. The occasions wherein you need this skillset are few and far between. Either set with Pistol offhand- D/P or S/P- allow you to take advantage of the 5 skill, Black Powder, which is absolutely magnificent in PvE. D/D is better, but only if you want to go all-in on Backstabs (5 -> Run around to target's back -> 1). The 3 is good in situations where there are a flood of weak enemies, but for the most part, you're using 5, 1, and 2, and primarily 5 and 1 until an enemy is low on HP, to do damage, leaving the other skills untouched. The offhand 4, Dancing Dagger, makes more sense in a ranged set; P/D is one of my favorites and extremely versatile.

One thing you should decide on as you get higher up is if you want to roll conditions, direct/critical damage, or some kind of hybrid. They're all viable but excel under different circumstances.

edit: D/P is my favorite set overall, and Shortbow is essentially useful under 99% of the conditions in the game, along with great for mobility.

Cathcart

OK, how much should I care about these snowflakes? They don't seem to make anything I really want but just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

OK, how much should I care about these snowflakes? They don't seem to make anything I really want but just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

You could make rare weapons out of the pristine snowflakes and throw 'em in the toilet for some precursor... that's what I've been doing

Ralemont

not me
I've been thinking about getting back into this for the first time since March 2013...what would be the best place to look for current optimal builds for classes? It seems like GW2 Guru is kinda dead forum-wise.

Mxrz

So. Just watched some idiots come into a silverwaste map. Declare it a chest farm, tell everone else to leave, and then get pissy about it. I hope ANet nerfs the fuck out of it if people are going to be pulling this shit.

Levyne

Banned
So. Just watched some idiots come into a silverwaste map. Declare it a chest farm, tell everone else to leave, and then get pissy about it. I hope ANet nerfs the fuck out of it if people are going to be pulling this shit.

Hopefully enough people reported them.

I'm at a cabin rental/ house type place and can't get my log in reward ;________;

Retro

Hopefully enough people reported them.

No need; I saw some ANet folks tweeting about it too, and they were definitely displeased with that behavior.

Screen time

That second one is a nice shot of Stormbluff Isle. I always thought someone should make a "real" SBI logo that incorporates that structure instead of that goofy MSPaint cloud wearing sunglasses.

Wha?

Did a few runs of CoE and when I got out it kept telling me to go there to see unexplored territory... isn't there nothing there currently?

EDIT: Apparently there's a jumping puzzle there that I'd never seen before, nothing to see here...

Retro

And a pretty dang fun Jumping Puzzle at that.

Missions start in ~3 hours, and we'll be having the Secret Santa gift exchange and such tonight as well for those who entered. Don't forget the door / mumble / lotto prize either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
heading home in 5, but feel free to get started with missions on time if I'm not back yet! will be there for lotto and our gift exchange at the very least.
Wha?

Did a few runs of CoE and when I got out it kept telling me to go there to see unexplored territory... isn't there nothing there currently?

EDIT: Apparently there's a jumping puzzle there that I'd never seen before, nothing to see here...
this is awesome

Good times in guild missions tonight - sorry I couldn't stick around for rush. Thanks again to Valentine for the amazing (and I'm told way above the limit, doh) gift. I'll make it up to you.

GAF Bounty Hunt Group using the nuclear option.

GAF Bounty Hunt Group took out both additional bounties (they were easy), and I had too much to drink.

Just look at these two classy kitties.

Been a great Wintersday this year.

Retro

Good times in guild missions tonight - sorry I couldn't stick around for rush. Thanks again to Valentine for the amazing (and I'm told way above the limit, doh) gift. I'll make it up to you.

Everyone went over the limit, I believe. I know I spent extra to make sure my person got some variety since I had no idea what they did or did not have already. My secret santa also splurged a bit unless they were really lucky with drops.

Guild is too generous.

Mxrz

Bit goofy, but Eternity feels more like a legendary. Maybe its the more obnoxious footfalls. Downside, feeling some serious dungeon burnout. Did a lowbie fractal with my guild tonight, taking three people that had never touched them before. That proved a lot more challenging and interesting than clearing the same seven or eight dungeons in the same exact manner each night. It also rewarded a whopping one gold, compared to the dungeons 10-15+.

It would be nice if the 'fun' content was as rewarding as the repetitive stuff. But then people would find a way to abuse it. There's always champion trains, but one round of that leaves me wanting to dig my eyes out. Standing around pressing 1 with twenty other people is even more mindless than standing in a corner doing it with four. At least there is a small chance some new player might screw up and make things temporarily interesting.

Hopefully Future Retail Content finds a way to mix it up more. But darned if I know how to go about it.

Bit goofy, but Eternity feels more like a legendary. Maybe its the more obnoxious footfalls. Downside, feeling some serious dungeon burnout. Did a lowbie fractal with my guild tonight, taking three people that had never touched them before. That proved a lot more challenging and interesting than clearing the same seven or eight dungeons in the same exact manner each night. It also rewarded a whopping one gold, compared to the dungeons 10-15+.

It would be nice if the 'fun' content was as rewarding as the repetitive stuff. But then people would find a way to abuse it. There's always champion trains, but one round of that leaves me wanting to dig my eyes out. Standing around pressing 1 with twenty other people is even more mindless than standing in a corner doing it with four. At least there is a small chance some new player might screw up and make things temporarily interesting.

Hopefully Future Retail Content finds a way to mix it up more. But darned if I know how to go about it.

It's funny, but you actually highlight a fundamental and very human issue.

You highlight that you are bored/tired of running the same dungeons over and over (but admit they're lucrative).

You then admit that you had way more fun, that it was more interesting and challenging, taking new players through fractals.

Lastly, you wish that the thing you h ad the most fun with, was also the most financially rewarding.

That's pretty much life in a nutshell. It isn't the job that pays you a fuckton of money that satisfies your soul - it's the things you do that you love. This is just me talking, but there is a reason I specifically avoid doing all the things that "make the phat lewt", and only do content that I actually enjoy doing. I might not have six legendaries and control the TP - but I still love logging into the game every day, and I'm not bored of any of the content.

Will there be a patch on tuesday? I'm hoping for Quaggans Two-Handed Spears!!11111111

No patch until the 13th.

Mxrz

Hah, yeah. Pretty much.

I play for advancement. I'll happily play with friends and guildmates, but if they aren't around I'll jump on my self-made treadmill and work on whatever the next goal is. Usually its been about finding a balance between the two.

The only thing I can really fault the game is my theory that dungeons pay out way too much compared to other things. Which also causes a weird inflation cycle. But then the ANet economist says this isn't the case. Either way, I appreciate ANet's efforts. I'm all for supporting the long term health of the game.

More mini-games will help.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me but I kind of want fishing or some other mini-game... something where I can chill and eat dinner, watch Netflix, and do something in game that doesn't require a lot of attention but still allows me to feel like I'm doing something. Sometimes I want to get on and talk in guild chat but I don't want to do anything attention demanding.
(Insert herp derp AFK at world bosses comment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom