• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathcart

Unable to get into the game for the last half hour but not seeing anything on the official forums about it. Is it just me or is there a server issue going on?

I know a lot of people would disagree with me but I kind of want fishing or some other mini-game... something where I can chill and eat dinner, watch Netflix, and do something in game that doesn't require a lot of attention but still allows me to feel like I'm doing something. Sometimes I want to get on and talk in guild chat but I don't want to do anything attention demanding.
(Insert herp derp AFK at world bosses comment)

I've been asking for fishing since beta :p It was one of my favorite pastimes in WoW.

Unable to get into the game for the last half hour but not seeing anything on the official forums about it. Is it just me or is there a server issue going on?

Hard to say - I just finished a full fractal run with a bunch of GAF people, so we didn't notice anything.

Retro

More mini-games will help.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me but I kind of want fishing or some other mini-game...

Lord yes. Been wanting fishing forever. I'd take it over housing.

Fishing would be nice, and would give more stuff to cook for Grandmaster Cook.

Every time a GAFer asks for Mini-games, Kos cries into his moose-shaped pillow.
Unrelated: Just got to Canada in the Stick of Truth and holy shitballs is their approach brilliant.

As far as fishing goes, I feel like there's room for three methods that all work together;
1. Fishing via combat; just go into water and fight any fish enemies and get Fish.
2. Fishing via nodes; find a hook icon on the map and use a rod to 'gather' it.
3. Fishing via activity: alternatively, you can fish anywhere there ISN'T a node.

The first and second methods will give you the basics without any trouble; meat for Grandmaster Cooking, as well as bones, scales and vials of blood. Fish would function like loot bags in that you "open" them, allowing there to be a little RNG involved as well as keeping them compact in your inventory until you're ready. That's important because fishing could also pull up all sorts of stuff like logs (salvage for wood), clams, seaweed (new types of ingredient) and sunken treasure. Like loot bags, the level of the zone you're in determines what kind of fish "containers" you're getting.

The third method would generate all of that as well, but be a much more involved activity with different rewards.

When done as an activity, the rewards are more like champion loot bags; they have a specific name (relative to the zone you're in), size and rarity levels. So, for example, you might reel in an exotic "Large Salmon" while fishing in Ascalon, or a rare "Giant Tuna" in the Tarnished Coast. Looting them gives you more meat and more crafting materials, but also a number of Fishing Tokens based on the size and rarity (and of course, there can be a collection for all the different size, rarity and types of fish). Tokens can be traded in for unique fishing-themed skins (similar to the pirate-themed stuff), minis, home instance fish ponds, temporary fishing luck boosters, whatever. They can also be used to buy better quality rods (more charges, higher chance at high-quality fish).

As long as the tokens are tucked into the wallet, that'd work for me. But I have a feeling ArenaNet could probably come up with something better.

Edit: Removed the bit about lures, activities should not have a limited number of uses per day if it's meant to be fun. Also, I still think there should be a unified "activity currency" that has unique rewards attached to it.

spiritfox

BTW, Seaweed already exists in the game. It's a high level gather mostly found in Orr.

I like having fishing spots as a new gathering node, since it's the easiest to implement and fits in the existing gathering structure. But it's kinda boring. Fishing as a minigame is more interesting, but more difficult to implement and will cause Kos to quit the game. Maybe a mix of the two: you can only fish in some spots but you can either use an auto fisher, and get normal gathers, or manually fish and get a chance to get rarer stuff.

Retro

BTW, Seaweed already exists in the game. It's a high level gather mostly found in Orr.

I like having fishing spots as a new gathering node, since it's the easiest to implement and fits in the existing gathering structure. But it's kinda boring. Fishing as a minigame is more interesting, but more difficult to implement and will cause Kos to quit the game. Maybe a mix of the two: you can only fish in some spots but you can either use an auto fisher, and get normal gathers, or manually fish and get a chance to get rarer stuff.

Yeah, I meant different varieties of seaweed as a new type of ingredient; Nori, Sugar Kelp, Sea Grapes, etc. The old, generic seaweed would just need to be converted into whatever the Master tier ingredient ends up being... because we HAVE to have Nori if we're going to have fishing because dammit grandmaster cooking needs sushi.

I also like the idea of there being quick-and-easy fishing nodes if you just want ingredients but the activity-style 'free fishing' could be the best way to get more varied rewards (not just tokens, but better chance at sunken treasures and such).

Moondrop

Banned
So I acquired a nice new laptop, despite my reservations on Windows 8. Upon attempting to run a game, I found I was missing DirectX files. Since these are integrated into Windows, I went to install all updates. Now I'm stuck in an endless loop in which a critical Windows update won't install. Web searching reveals this is a widespread, unresolved problem since at least April with no end in sight. I've tried multiple utility solutions to "fix" Windows Update to no avail. I see no other solution but to return the laptop to the store and build an OEM laptop with either Windows 7 or Linux.

Yes I'm posting this here to annoy Miktar.

Thorgal

So I acquired a nice new laptop, despite my reservations on Windows 8. Upon attempting to run a game, I found I was missing DirectX files. Since these are integrated into Windows, I went to install all updates. Now I'm stuck in an endless loop in which a critical Windows update won't install. Web searching reveals this is a widespread, unresolved problem since at least April with no end in sight. I've tried multiple utility solutions to "fix" Windows Update to no avail. I see no other solution but to return the laptop to the store and build an OEM laptop with either Windows 7 or Linux.

It is one of the main reasons why i have not bought win 8 .

Yes it is much better performance but it creates too many issues with games and third party tools and mods .

In this case , Hawks controller setup for GW 2

Wanderer5

Heh think it been a year now since the Quip came out of the forge for me. That was quite a memorable moment that I have no plans on doing again.:p I very happy for my choice, even through at times I kind of wish I would have made the Juggernaut instead, but it been good for my engi. Too bad the Precursor weapons needed alone are more expensive now. I ended up getting the Chaos Gun for 300g, and last time I saw it, it was like 700g+.

Just witnessed five straight Breach events fail to get 4/4 successes, and have to vent. I mostly tried to help at Copper (Red base) but I've given up. People either do not look at chat or troll that boss by killing the mobs and bubbles. At least at Platinum (Blue base) I can use knockback to move the bubbles away to reduce boss invulnerability. But I might not have the aggro of the mobs to kite them away in Copper.

One person on map chat suggested giving the mobs retaliation buff for Copper like that Labyrinth boss; I thought that was a good idea.

So I moved to Amber since Troll seems to get defeated pretty regularly. Then I see this
G0EsoLj.jpg
They scale up a champ that we struggle to defeat and still get credit for the event due to getting hit a few times. It would've been hilarious if the mob A.I. could be programmed to go after AFKers first. Edit: nvm, that could get exploited. Oy.

The NA primetime groups are much better. I've gotten into five consecutive Breach 4/4 successes within an eighty-minute span two days ago when it seemed like there were 10 SW maps running at once.

I am not entirely sure why this should annoy me, though? I mean, it does suck it didn't work - but I'm not using Win 8, nor was I the one who got the laptop? The general consensus was always to wait for whatever came after 8, in this case, Windows 10. Are you not confusing me with someone else?

Moondrop

Banned
Oh, one time I thought you defended Windows 8 vociferously after I claimed "only every other Windows works." Sorry, poor attempt at humor in my frustration. I'll give it one factory reset then return it.

Oh, one time I thought you defended Windows 8 vociferously after I claimed "only every other Windows works." Sorry, poor attempt at humor in my frustration. I'll give it one factory reset then return it.

You must have the wrong person. My only experience with Windows 8, is 8.1 on my one tablet. On there, it's not too bad - good memory management for a Windows OS, though I'm no fan of the Charms menu since it comes in when I'm trying to flip through pages. I wouldn't buy a Win 8 tablet again.

Highly recommend getting G-sync if you own an Nvidia card. Jormag used to destroy me at a Vsynced 9 to 12 fps, but now that that limiter is gone my GPU can stretch its legs somewhat in large scale fights to a more tolerable 20+ fps:

It's even better in between fights in WvW and EoTM. Simply running through this landscape with a small zerg at a still smooth ~60 fps is something else:

Seda [GAF] intentionally ranks the icons such that Adriaaa is at the very bottom. It's the little things.

Levyne

Banned
Serpent's strike is not a useless skill. No long wind up like the Hornet Sting, easier to maintain appropriate positioning (pve), keeps your endurance up for steady focus (or, alternatively, saves for your actual dodges), and useful for flanking / Hunter's Tactics.

Moondrop

Banned
For the sake of completion, I overcame one buggy update with a factory reset and another by disabling all Microsoft processes on startup, thereby clearing the way to install the missing DirectX files. So I'll be holding on to the laptop, though I'm sure there will be more battles with Windows 8 to come. But computers ultimately bend to your will, right? ;)

I had to rush off a few hours ago after finishing Arah 2, but I was still questioning why I couldn't find four people willing to join there at the end. I soloed the entire dungeon up to the last boss and ported the three fellows who did join directly to said boss, and we killed it effortlessly.

Three gold that will never be seen now, for what was at most three minutes of "work."

Maybe you guys didn't understand exactly what I was begging for people in guild chat to join. When people are giving away free Arah runs, you take them.

._.

I had to rush off a few hours ago after finishing Arah 2, but I was still questioning why I couldn't find four people willing to join there at the end. I soloed the entire dungeon up to the last boss and ported the three fellows who did join directly to said boss, and we killed it effortlessly.

Three gold that will never be seen now, for what was at most three minutes of "work."

Maybe you guys didn't understand exactly what I was begging for people in guild chat to join. When people are giving away free Arah runs, you take them.

._.

This must've been in the short time I went outside today ;_; I need Arah tokens and I'm generally too scared to pug it since it is hard and I am not good. I would've totally taken you up on it if I was around. :(

Thorgal

._.

Forgive meeee.

AKX93u6.jpg

I was on but i was occupied with the family .

My first Lupi solo was in 9:48, and this one was 8:21, so it's definitely getting better, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I let him get the grub at the start of phase two this time, so it would have been even better if I had avoided that.

Also, if you ever wondered how boring/cheap Alphard is solo, imagine this, but repeated for five minutes longer.

._.

I was too caught up in getting my Necromancer to 80, otherwise I would have loved to join for easy dungeon tokens.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seda [GAF] intentionally ranks the icons such that Adriaaa is at the very bottom. It's the little things.
ahhh we do what we can.

._.
a travesty!

I think I remember hearing some tell of people wanting an arah 4 run soon...
My first Lupi solo was in 9:48, and this one was 8:21, so it's definitely getting better, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I let him get the grub at the start of phase two this time, so it would have been even better if I had avoided that.

Also, if you ever wondered how boring/cheap Alphard is solo, imagine this, but repeated for five minutes longer.
Can an untraited Mesmer focus still cheese him?

Woo! Relatively big day/night for me. I finished map completion in the regular world so i'm at 98% now... just need the POI and vistas in the few keeps/towers on EB and the borderlands on green side in WvW. Probably going to have to wait until the weekly reset and hope that IoJ gets green x_x

I also managed to save up for a commander tag. (Winning the lotto on Saturday sped that along pretty quick.) Apparently damask sells for a shit load of gold (14g+?!?) and I had a handful sitting around in my collections, so that got me the rest of the way.

Wooooo!

ZenaxPure

Been thinking about picking this up lately, and it's only $20 on Amazon right now (seems to be full price on the actual gw2 website). Is there any reason to not just buy a key from Amazon?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Woo! Relatively big day/night for me. I finished map completion in the regular world so i'm at 98% now... just need the POI and vistas in the few keeps/towers on EB and the borderlands on green side in WvW. Probably going to have to wait until the weekly reset and hope that IoJ gets green x_x

I also managed to save up for a commander tag. (Winning the lotto on Saturday sped that along pretty quick.) Apparently damask sells for a shit load of gold (14g+?!?) and I had a handful sitting around in my collections, so that got me the rest of the way.

Wooooo!
Congrats! I'm at like 86% world completion.

One day.
Been thinking about picking this up lately, and it's only $20 on Amazon right now (seems to be full price on the actual gw2 website). Is there any reason to not just buy a key from Amazon?
When in doubt, buying from Amazon is always recommended! Their customer service is nutso.

If you grab the game, be sure to choose Stormbluff Isle and post your account or character name here for an invite!
When does Wintersday go away?
Apparently January 16th, so I believe we will be doing our Orr event that very Friday!

ZenaxPure

When in doubt, buying from Amazon is always recommended! Their customer service is nutso.

If you grab the game, be sure to choose Stormbluff Isle and post your account or character name here for an invite!

Cool, will do. I grabbed it but it will probably be a couple of days before I start playing or anything. Still, looking forward to it.

So I finally finished the Wintersday PvP track and got my Rime-Rimmed Mariner's Rebreather (no thanks to you, 10k Giant Wintersday Gifts Opened).

The match that completed the track was also rather good:

G0JwIx8.jpg

Engineers top points? Always. Though I admit, Whiskeytown was a bit of a bleh to fight, just kept running in circles dropping bombs. How pedestrian.

Also snagged these two beauties:

Ab1lHTL.jpg

Not bad, for someone who barely touches PvP.

ANVzGOk.png

Retro

Guild Wars 2: Beyond the Point of No Return
Join ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and Guild Wars 2 game director Colin Johanson for an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next in Guild Wars 2 and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.

Panelists:
Mike O'Brien [President and Co-Founder, ArenaNet]
Colin Johanson [Guild Wars 2 Director, ArenaNet]

Main Theatre
Saturday 1/24 10:30AM - 12:00PM

http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/guild-wars-2-beyond-the-point-of-no-return

"The Living World was just the beginning."

Buy your tickets now to ensure you have a seat reserved on the hype train.

Moondrop

Banned
Ok, I'll be that guy: this statement sounds to me like the prelude to a lot of disappointment. I'll be keeping my expectations low with room to be pleasantly surprised.

Retro

Ok, I'll be that guy: this statement sounds to me like the prelude to a lot of disappointment. I'll be keeping my expectations low with room to be pleasantly surprised.

stash-1-50de5e9fdd4f07hsjc.gif

Probably the best approach, honestly, but we have heard that there's some kind of announcement coming in January.

Mxrz

No stopping the hype train this time.

Not crazy about engineers doing the big ole bomb thing in dungeons. Not sure if its part of might stacking or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom