• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

D'awww, very cute. My warrior has almost the exact same armor and we're even using the same mini, though I went for more of a mischievous look as befitting her name
Yeah we played them in guild missions at the same time and I pointed out that they both had tier 3 and the same hairstyle :D

I ran across Fort Cadence again recently due to the "Events in Sparkfly Fen" daily. I ran in to help out an event I saw, and realized that I never actually took the time to explore the place. Sure, I ran down there at some point in the past to get the skillpoint, but I remember nothing of the place.
Huh. I don't think I've ever been down there, despite doing the defend and re-capture event several times. I'll have to go take a look.
It was part of the hunt for the book during the first Halloween event so I explored it back then. Really cool place.

I finally got around to overclocking my i3770k to 4.2 Ghz and it only bumped my temp up by 4C. I really noticed a performance boost in GW2 and DA:I.

The bad part is my 2TB Media Drive failed. So I lost all of my screenshots I took over the years in both GW1 and GW2. Everything else I'm not too worried about, since I can re-download it all on my 100mb internet.

Korten

Banned
Since launch I have never touched my Warrior's hair, it's been the same. Today it changed, not drastically but enough to make him look older without actually changing facial features.

Anyway while I don't have any pre-80 screenshots on hand, I made this... Various ways my character has changed since 2013. Some big changes, some small and others... well I didn't have any screenshots of them facing forward. D:

Fdlb.png

Since a year has passed, I made a "my favorite photos from 2014 in Guild Wars 2" album: http://imgur.com/a/ECPPI

I also just found out that, while in a hurry earlier, I wiped my backup drive - deleting all my art from 2014 back, and all the screenshots of GW2 I've taken since launch.

This is messing with my zen thing.

Probably not going to make it to guild missions tonight - I've been installing a new SSD all day and it's not going as smoothly as I had hoped =( Actually sticking the thing in my computer was 5 minutes, getting Windows 8.1 to work has been a 6+ hour affair.

See you all tomorrow at makeups!

Retro

Missions starting in.... um... now.

I want that cape.

Yeah, I'd love something like that for... well.... all but two or three characters, tops. And I bet they'd have enough variety in the capes that even those two or three outliers would use one.

Sadly I shall also try to be at makeups tomorrow. Friend is over. D:

Pshaw, friends who don't play Guild Wars 2 are no friends at all. Ditch 'em! =p

Korten

Banned
Missions starting in.... um... now.

Yeah, I'd love something like that for... well.... all but two or three characters, tops. And I bet they'd have enough variety in the capes that even those two or three outliers would use one.

Pshaw, friends who don't play Guild Wars 2 are no friends at all. Ditch 'em! =p

Actually maybe trying to get him to join. :D After we play League I plan on showing him.

I completely forgot about guild missions. This whole week has been messed up, I thought Friday was Saturday, nearly missed an appointment as a result, and now I thought Sat was Sunday.

Retro

Excellent missions, everyone, and congratulations to our various lotto winners.

Makeups are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern / noon Pacific.

Since the next update goes live on the 13th, we might get a preview this Tuesday. Watch this space.

Zeroth

Maybe they will implement the trinity on the next patch already so people can get used to their specific roles before they change the rest of the game.

Maybe they will implement the trinity on the next patch already so people can get used to their specific roles before they change the rest of the game.

I can't wait!

a5ucaCA.jpg

Oh, we'll have to wait.

But seriously, could you imagine that? Twenty+ minute queues to get into a quick AC path 3 run, because nobody wants to queue as tank or healer? So to band-aid it, Anet makes it that tanks/healers get more loot when they queue, which DPS then complains about, so they remove that, and put in a new Roulette system where if people queue for a variety of roles, they get tokens which can later be redeemed for loot.....

Retro

There's another hidden cave nearby there with a big Asuran-looking door that doesn't open. I'll take some screenshots while I'm in the area.

Grabbed some screens for this quickly just now. From the Signal Peak Waypoint, just follow the road east for a spell until you come to a big rock overhang. There's some vines growing over the cave, like so;

Once inside, the cave goes on for a bit (and actually makes a cool little loop in on itself), eventually coming to some broken rocky bits;

From there you just jump up and there's an odd Asura-style gate up there. I seem to remember being able to jump through it, but it's solid now so... maybe they changed it;

We'll need to decide as a guild if we want to represent the Horde of Iron or Alliance of the North too, don't forget.

Wanderer5

Finally back on track with silverwastes farming heh. I still need a couple bladder pieces for the leggings through, and beating that challenge in the last instance for the boots ugh.-.- Well onto continuing to stack the crests a bit for now.

I can't wait!

a5ucaCA.jpg

Oh, we'll have to wait.

But seriously, could you imagine that? Twenty+ minute queues to get into a quick AC path 3 run, because nobody wants to queue as tank or healer? So to band-aid it, Anet makes it that tanks/healers get more loot when they queue, which DPS then complains about, so they remove that, and put in a new Roulette system where if people queue for a variety of roles, they get tokens which can later be redeemed for loot.....

Ewwwwww. Ew ew ew!

Jira

Playing FFXIV makes me realize just how godly ANet is at killing bots and gold farmers. The gil spam in XIV is SOOOOO bad. All you can do is right click and "Add to blacklist" which has a maximum amount of people you can add to it and then you'd have to start deleting people from it. There's no quick and easy way to report people so the spam every 5 min is rampant. Since I started playing 3 nights ago, I've got at least 44 gil spam messages. I wish I were joking.

I played it for the one month that it comes with, and I loved being able to change classes and try out everything with a single character. Probably my favorite system in the game.

Wanderer5

Heh played the FFXIV beta, and I couldn't really get into it much just cause GW2 feels faster and smoother to me alone in regards to combat, interactions, menus, etc.

Also UGH I haven't been able to get the bladder nor spleen from the Plat Thrasher.:/

Got some pics of me leveling my main..

From left to right level 10-12, second one 19, third 22, final pic is 30

Level 42, Level 50 just beat Shatter in that pic, Level 67, First time seeing Jormag, decided to try and fight him lol got pwned, took pics instead.

Level 72, Level 80 with Rare gear on about to run Arah Story, and what i look like today..

zulux21

so I just picked this up to play with my wife and a friend, am currently at level 15 or so and I have a few questions.

1. How hard will it be to obtain enough money to get gems to unlock previous parts of the living story (they are 200 a piece so I think I need 1200 gems to get them all)? I am figuring it won't be impossible when I get closer to being able to do the living story, but I am curious if i should ready myself for spending more money to get them.

2. What benefits are there to joining a larger guild over a small private one?

3. On that same note what is actually expected of a GAF guild member? you have a link to the policies but it doesn't actually lead to anything but an errored page.

Retro

so I just picked this up to play with my wife and a friend, am currently at level 15 or so and I have a few questions.

1. How hard will it be to obtain enough money to get gems to unlock previous parts of the living story (they are 200 a piece so I think I need 1200 gems to get them all)? I am figuring it won't be impossible when I get closer to being able to do the living story, but I am curious if i should ready myself for spending more money to get them.

2. What benefits are there to joining a larger guild over a small private one?

3. On that same note what is actually expected of a GAF guild member? you have a link to the policies but it doesn't actually lead to anything but an errored page.

1. The conversion rate of gold-to-gems fluctuates, right now it's at 17g, so... ~208 gold. Honestly, you might be better off buying a gem card (2000 is $25) if you decide to make that purchase.

It's worth keeping in mind that if you only want to play the story, you can join someone who already has them unlocked. You won't be able to get any of the rewards though.

2. More people to play with, better chances that they run guild missions / buffs regularly, more people to make friends with. GAFGuild is sitting around 450 members (usually 15-30 at any given time, usually more on weekends) and you're welcome to join (as are friends and family).

You can belong to five guilds at once, but only represent (chat / benefit from buffs, etc.) at a time.

3. Be amongst the living. Don't be an asshole. That's about it, really, we're pretty laid back unless somebody's actions disrupt the enjoyment of the game for others. I'm putting the guild policy into the OT as we speak, we kind of changed web hosts and haven't set up the site yet since GAF covers us pretty well.

I didn't know so many of you here play FF14.

I played the free month that came with the client, but wasn't really into it (I didn't want to go back to WoW-style questing and grinding, and all the races are fucking boring as sin). That was like a year ago, shortly after ARR launched. The better half picked it up recently, so I figured I'd give it another shot, on the cheaper sub option ($12 instead of $15, limited char slots). We play it together, so it's fun. I never had anything against the game - it's well made, the music is lovely, and the trinity has it's place. GW2 remains my favorite, but I don't see them as competing. They're just too different, in so many ways, for me to compare apples to oranges. It'd be like comparing Quake to Counter Strike - literally different paradigms.

zulux21

1. The conversion rate of gold-to-gems fluctuates, right now it's at 17g, so... ~208 gold. Honestly, you might be better off buying a gem card (2000 is $25) if you decide to make that purchase.

It's worth keeping in mind that if you only want to play the story, you can join someone who already has them unlocked. You won't be able to get any of the rewards though.

2. More people to play with, better chances that they run guild missions / buffs regularly, more people to make friends with. GAFGuild is sitting around 450 members (usually 15-30 at any given time, usually more on weekends) and you're welcome to join (as are friends and family).

You can belong to five guilds at once, but only represent (chat / benefit from buffs, etc.) at a time.

3. Be amongst the living. Don't be an asshole. That's about it, really, we're pretty laid back unless somebody's actions disrupt the enjoyment of the game for others. I'm putting the guild policy into the OT as we speak, we kind of changed web hosts and haven't set up the site yet since GAF covers us pretty well.

Thanks for the responses.
If I can belong to five guilds I suppose I could at least check out the GAF one. Aside from logging in to get my daily bonus I am not sure how much more often then once a week I will be playing though

my account seems to be zulux.3574
Main character currently is named Harukano. (elementalist)
Secondary Character is named Haruka Noinzumi. (theif or whatever the class name is in this game)

It is good to know that I can still play the living story stuff and not get the rewards though, as I have a feeling my wife would be interested in doing that if we ever reach level 80 (might take a while at 5-10 hours a week :p)

Retro

As an FYI, I have the guild policies posted in the thread, the link in the OT will now take you to them directly. Feel free to discuss, those have pretty much been the policies of the guild since Day -3.

Just noticed that the upper most vine in silverwastes went south over indigo cave.

Yep, there was a thread about it on Reddit. Seems like something the Pact might want to look into but... you know... whatever, Trehearne.

Thanks for the responses.
If I can belong to five guilds I suppose I could at least check out the GAF one. Aside from logging in to get my daily bonus I am not sure how much more often then once a week I will be playing though

my account seems to be zulux.3574
Main character currently is named Harukano. (elementalist)
Secondary Character is named Haruka Noinzumi. (theif or whatever the class name is in this game)

It is good to know that I can still play the living story stuff and not get the rewards though, as I have a feeling my wife would be interested in doing that if we ever reach level 80 (might take a while at 5-10 hours a week :p)

We don't have any kind of policy on representation or attendance, so if you can only log in once a week for an hour or two, it's no big deal.

The only thing we really schedule are guild missions, which run twice a week (9pm Eastern time Saturday, then makeups at 3pm Sunday). They're basically big, fun activities that require a lot of people to coordinate, and the rewards are pretty cool (some unique skins, ascended items, etc.).

I sent you a guild invite; this game is account-based, so all of your characters are automatically invited, you'll just need to click "Represent" on the guild panel.

And finally, don't worry about your level and try to rush to 80! It's not the kind of MMO where everything cool and new is only for the max level players (though the Living World updates have been this season). You'll unlock story chapters just from logging in when they're active, even if they're level 80, so you can a;waus play them later. In the mean time, there's a big, awesome world to play in and it'd be a shame to just... blow past it.

zulux21

We don't have any kind of policy on representation or attendance, so if you can only log in once a week for an hour or two, it's no big deal.

The only thing we really schedule are guild missions, which run twice a week (9pm Eastern time Saturday, then makeups at 3pm Sunday). They're basically big, fun activities that require a lot of people to coordinate, and the rewards are pretty cool (some unique skins, ascended items, etc.).

I sent you a guild invite; this game is account-based, so all of your characters are automatically invited, you'll just need to click "Represent" on the guild panel.

And finally, don't worry about your level and try to rush to 80! It's not the kind of MMO where everything cool and new is only for the max level players (though the Living World updates have been this season). You'll unlock story chapters just from logging in when they're active, even if they're level 80, so you can a;waus play them later. In the mean time, there's a big, awesome world to play in and it'd be a shame to just... blow past it.

I'll see if I can ever make some of the guild missions, but in general I have board game night with friends on saturday and work from 11-730 on sunday. I am how ever off today, don't know how useful a level 13 elementalist or a level 8 or so thief would be though.

And I don't have any plans to rush to level 80 at this time, my current play style is just run where ever the compass in the top right takes me :p I plan on making this game last me for a while as I don't want to burn myself out given there seems to be a decent amount of new content come out every few months. Just kind of wish I had picked this up back in august or whenever when it was first on sale for $20 so I could have a few more of the living story stuff unlocked, but w/e like I said it's going to take me a while to get there. In the meanwhile I am just gonna chill with you guys and learn some stuff to teach my friends.

Retro

WvW... with dominoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuZrivKwvI&feature=youtu.be

I'll see if I can ever make some of the guild missions, but in general I have board game night with friends on saturday and work from 11-730 on sunday. I am how ever off today, don't know how useful a level 13 elementalist or a level 8 or so thief would be though.

And I don't have any plans to rush to level 80 at this time, my current play style is just run where ever the compass in the top right takes me :p I plan on making this game last me for a while as I don't want to burn myself out given there seems to be a decent amount of new content come out every few months. Just kind of wish I had picked this up back in august or whenever when it was first on sale for $20 so I could have a few more of the living story stuff unlocked, but w/e like I said it's going to take me a while to get there. In the meanwhile I am just gonna chill with you guys and learn some stuff to teach my friends.

The missions are chosen at random by the game, so depending on how lucky we are, you could probably do a few on the Elementalist for makeups. Sometimes we get a guild Puzzle in a level 1-15 zone, sometimes we get a Rush in a level 80 zone... We'll try to get you to stuff if we can.

Good to hear you plan to take your time, that's the perfect attitude to have since a lot of players rushed to 80 and found themselves burned out. Usually the Living World stuff lands every two weeks for a few months at a time, then they take a break for a couple months and then start up again. So there's definitely going to be plenty of content even when you do reach 80.

Feel free to post your friends' accounts too if you'd like them invited, there's usually at least one person on (even if it's just one person like on Christmas =p) to answer questions.

zulux21

The missions are chosen at random by the game, so depending on how lucky we are, you could probably do a few on the Elementalist for makeups. Sometimes we get a guild Puzzle in a level 1-15 zone, sometimes we get a Rush in a level 80 zone... We'll try to get you to stuff if we can.

Good to hear you plan to take your time, that's the perfect attitude to have since a lot of players rushed to 80 and found themselves burned out. Usually the Living World stuff lands every two weeks for a few months at a time, then they take a break for a couple months and then start up again. So there's definitely going to be plenty of content even when you do reach 80.

Feel free to post your friends' accounts too if you'd like them invited, there's usually at least one person on (even if it's just one person like on Christmas =p) to answer questions.

ah I see, well we will have to see what luck is like in 12 hours.

and yeah burn out is a serious fear for me as I in general don't last super long in most MMOs as I will hit a wall and lose interest. The fact that I just join events/quests as I walk around and don't have to talk to people then run to other areas and what not will really help that problem though as I feel a lot less pressure to find the optimal quests and instead just freely wander in guild wars 2.

Selya.4197 is my wife's account, since she will play randomly without me I figure she can be a decent add, but I don't see much of a point inviting my college friend aside from leeching off the guild (which since you seem to have minor membership cap limits seems wrong to do) as I highly doubt he will play outside of logging in for a minute each day and for a few hours when he has time on game nights with me.

I do know at the very least that I am not on Stormbluff Isle. I think I am on Gate of Madness though it might be Sea of Sorrows or Sorrow's Furnace (I can't remember if I went with madnesss or sorrow of the top of my head) but I doubt that will matter much as I dislike competitive stuff in general so will likely not participate in any pvp or WvW stuff.

Retro

ah I see, well we will have to see what luck is like in 12 hours.

and yeah burn out is a serious fear for me as I in general don't last super long in most MMOs as I will hit a wall and lose interest. The fact that I just join events/quests as I walk around and don't have to talk to people then run to other areas and what not will really help that problem though as I feel a lot less pressure to find the optimal quests and instead just freely wander in guild wars 2.

Selya.4197 is my wife's account, since she will play randomly without me I figure she can be a decent add, but I don't see much of a point inviting my college friend aside from leeching off the guild (which since you seem to have minor membership cap limits seems wrong to do) as I highly doubt he will play outside of logging in for a minute each day and for a few hours when he has time on game nights with me.

I do know at the very least that I am not on Stormbluff Isle. I think I am on Gate of Madness though it might be Sea of Sorrows or Sorrow's Furnace (I can't remember if I went with madnesss or sorrow of the top of my head) but I doubt that will matter much as I dislike competitive stuff in general so will likely not participate in any pvp or WvW stuff.

Just invited your wife's account, no worries about being on Stormbluff Isle, as long as you're on a North American server (all three of the ones you listed are) then the only problem will be for WvW anyways.

zulux21

Just invited your wife's account, no worries about being on Stormbluff Isle, as long as you're on a North American server (all three of the ones you listed are) then the only problem will be for WvW anyways.

thanks for the invite for her, I will let her know when she wakes up... ideally she doesn't wake up before me and deny the invite >.> (though I imagine she would randomly accept it)

and yeah we are on NA servers as we are in NA. I didn't have much preference and none of them were a different population so I just picked which ever one I felt had the best name at the time and got the others to join it. I should had thought "I bet neogaf has a guild wars 2 community" and checked here first though, but w/e as I said I likely won't do the WvW stuff unless it plays radically different then what I am imagining (which is a bunch of people from each world going at each other)

Retro

Ooooh these are looking good, especially the heavy armor.

Speaking of armor, I think just about every damn vanity armor set went on sale just now for the new daily sale. Like... all of them. Back pieces, outfits, head items... and yeah, those are looking pretty snazzy.

and yeah we are on NA servers as we are in NA. I didn't have much preference and none of them were a different population so I just picked which ever one I felt had the best name at the time and got the others to join it. I should had thought "I bet neogaf has a guild wars 2 community" and checked here first though, but w/e as I said I likely won't do the WvW stuff unless it plays radically different then what I am imagining (which is a bunch of people from each world going at each other)

Your choice of server is fine because of guesting and megaservers, as long as your in the North American Datacenter you can group with any GAFer any time regardless of server.

And WvW is kind of that, but it's on large maps with lots of objectives, siege engines and such. It's pretty fun actually, so long as you're with people. Especially little havoc groups that flip objectives guerrilla-style, though the big blobs of 10-30 players can be kinda fun too if the commander has the right attitude (not screaming, being funny, etc.).

Wanderer5

Speaking of armor, I think just about every damn vanity armor set went on sale just now for the new daily sale. Like... all of them. Back pieces, outfits, head items... and yeah, those are looking pretty snazzy.

Oh damn lol. Might check out the Arctic explorer after all.

And especially with the heavy armor chestpiece, I kind of wonder if these will be new guild armor. It sure looks that way with the chestpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom