• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mapleeqspk.gif
kosgifrrs4g.gif
mapleeqspk.gif

Excellent, welcome to the Guild.

kos24asr9.gif

There, I said it all fancy-like.

Yeah, you've missed 41 updates, including two huge feature packs that changed a lot of the game's fundamental systems. There's a big list of 'em here.

Let us know if you want an invite back to the guild, we're at 472 so still some room left.

That's my thinking as well, this is a big deal or at least ArenaNet thinks it's one.
Finally I get the respect that is owed to me.

so am i mistaken, or are the winter tools really good for a level 15 player?

also I just realized how decent the bells are for money at my level as I am currently getting money at 100 silver every 30 min o_O
wow i wish i could get excited about getting 100 silver in 30 minutes still

zulux21

wow i wish i could get excited about getting 100 silver in 30 minutes still

:p
when my life savings on guild war was 1 gold and 50 silver... 100 silver in 30 minutes was really solid.

it allowed me to move up to basic salvaging gear without fear :p

yay for being new.

My warrior logged in at Lion's Arch.
Uh.. Something bad happened here.

You have no idea. :p The city was sieged, a giant drill bore a hole into the Earth over the ocean, there was fire everywhere. We had to evacuate the city, and then fight all across it to take down Scarlet aboard her "Breachmaker". It was quite a thing:

To quoth Retro:

A sylvari with an anti-authoritarian streak fucked up and came under the influence of a slumbering Elder Dragon, which drove her Harley Quinn Crazy™, running all over the place playing matchmaker with all the various "bad" factions so she could use and abuse their respective technology / magic to find and disrupt the natural magical energies that flow through the planet and direct it at the aforementioned Elder Dragon, waking him up.

It turns out the best place to redirect that energy was directly under Lion's Arch, so she brought all of her united factions and their weaponry and invaded the city. One massive drill and a few explosions later and... well... you've seen it.

Because the Event daily was in Dredgehaunt Cliffs, quite a lot of people stumbled across the Forsaken Halls mini-dungeon and ran through it for the first time. Was a lot of fun seeing people new to it, figure out the little mechanics.

Nice lighting in there too.

Jira

This being the finale of season 2, Pax South creeping up and advertised as "The Living World was just the beginning", I'm not going to scream expansion, but it certainly sounds like more than "Season 3".

As I've said, the president of the company and the lead director do not go onto the main stage of PAX for Season 3. Neither Season 1 nor 2 were announced outside of their website so that rules that out. In all honesty due to the wording on the site, I guarantee you what we are going to see is ANet's answer to MMO xpacks just like GW2 was their answer to MMOs in general. There might be some similarities, but it sure as hell isn't going to be a paint by numbers "I don't know what I expected" MMO expansion. You will see them innovate upon the model in a big way. I'll even bet my GAF account on that.

Jira

What if the expansion is called LS S3? :p

I saw some guy on reddit coin it "Living Expansion" which is something I've wanted to see them do. Which is they use the LS Seasons to move the story and then open up new landmasses via expansions or whatever they call it. So that way it's not like one random day the world changes, but over time through a changing narrative.

Maan, don't make my hype bro. I don't wanna hype, hype is the devil that kills gaming. I just wanna be surprised :p

Hey I don't know anything more than anyone else, I just know that ANet doesn't mess around when they pull out the big guns.

Doing dungeons with GAF is always fun, and it's funny seeing different people you've done dungeons with in the past individually interact with each other together in a party.

I've been with a lot of you enough times to know which way you like to do things, so it's interesting to see instances where there are small conflicts in preferred methodologies.

http://a.pomf.se/kufvaf.webm

Best escape plan.

Today was only my second time playing CoE path 2. It was the first dungeon path I ever completed, so it took almost 9 months to get back to it.

Kos and I got to play the heroes on the second Alpha encounter, so that was exciting. Much like our days of fighting the Skeletal Lich together.

Retro

I was wrong, my warrior was 39. My rogue was 29.
Where should I go on my warrior?

Wherever you like. At that level range, Lornar's Pass, Harathi Hinterlands, Fields of Ruin, Dredgehaunt Cliffs and Blazeridge Steppes would all be appropriate for your level, though you can hit any of the 10 zones that are below your level for the same amount of experience (remember, you down level but your rewards stay the same).

Out of those, I think Lornar's Pass and Blazeridge are my favorites. Alternatively, you could PVP (they reward lots of Tomes of Knowledge which you can use to level up in PVE). Edge of the Mists is an option, fast but it's boring and grindy as hell.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, this is the final episode for season 2? wat

This is going to be like Young Justice Invasion season ender isn't it? :(

Emitan

I wish I had known about that PAX South thing before today. GW2 is the only reason I'd give Penny Arcade money but Satruday passes are sold out.

Retro

I wish I had known about that PAX South thing before today. GW2 is the only reason I'd give Penny Arcade money but Satruday passes are sold out.

They were sold out before the schedule was even announced. My twitter feed was full of GW2 bloggers and sites begging for tickets so they could cover it. I hope there's a live stream, I'll have to ask around.

Emitan

They were sold out before the schedule was even announced. My twitter feed was full of GW2 bloggers and sites begging for tickets so they could cover it. I hope there's a live stream, I'll have to ask around.

They had BETTER NOT give out cool stuff at the event. Or else I'll have to wait outside and jump people for it.

Moondrop

Banned
Self-ressed on ranger, solo point defended as celestial staff against hambow, mist-stomped a guard, leveled artificing to 400, tomed my new necro to level 72, then ran around and snagged some karma gear for him from some heart vendors who owed me a favor. 'Twas a good first night back.

Now to learn necro. Intrigued by terrormancer, but will give minion master a try as well.

Thorgal

Self-ressed on ranger, solo point defended as celestial staff against hambow, mist-stomped a guard, leveled artificing to 400, tomed my new necro to level 72, then ran around and snagged some karma gear for him from some heart vendors who owed me a favor. 'Twas a good first night back.

Now to learn necro. Intrigued by terrormancer, but will give minion master a try as well.

use Spectral wall = bye bye enemy zerg :p

Levyne

Banned
Yesterday I did PVP and some dungeons with some people that I've met in various different ways. An old friend first met in a fractal pug, an old wvw commander, someone met in a cursed shore farm once. I always try to add people I gel with to my contact list so that I hardly ever have to pug. It was cool to see some of those circles intersect.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Doing dungeons with GAF is always fun, and it's funny seeing different people you've done dungeons with in the past individually interact with each other together in a party.

I've been with a lot of you enough times to know which way you like to do things, so it's interesting to see instances where there are small conflicts in preferred methodologies.

http://a.pomf.se/kufvaf.webm

Best escape plan.

Today was only my second time playing CoE path 2. It was the first dungeon path I ever completed, so it took almost 9 months to get back to it.

Kos and I got to play the heroes on the second Alpha encounter, so that was exciting. Much like our days of fighting the Skeletal Lich together.
It was a ton of fun, in my top 3 fave dungeon paths. It always feels good when you get to step up for an Alpha fight, he's a boss I personally never get tired of fighting. Sorry for my weird afk-delay-ness, was on the phone with my dad for the first 2/3 of the dungeon : <
As I've said, the president of the company and the lead director do not go onto the main stage of PAX for Season 3. Neither Season 1 nor 2 were announced outside of their website so that rules that out. In all honesty due to the wording on the site, I guarantee you what we are going to see is ANet's answer to MMO xpacks just like GW2 was their answer to MMOs in general. There might be some similarities, but it sure as hell isn't going to be a paint by numbers "I don't know what I expected" MMO expansion. You will see them innovate upon the model in a big way. I'll even bet my GAF account on that.
I'll take anything that doesn't require me to shell out money for the privilege of raising my level past 80. It's at the top of the list of things GW2 doesn't need.

Moondrop

Banned
Wow, just read a post claiming that Death Shroud's Life Blast damage is dependent on main-hand weapon, i.e. you must have swapped from staff for maximum damage. That seems like an oversight; will test later.

MattyG

Banned
So it's finally done downloading, and I'm about to start. Is there anything I should know about character creation or class selection or anything?

hythloday

So it's finally done downloading, and I'm about to start. Is there anything I should know about charactcharacters creation or class selection or anything?

Absolutely nothing! There are no real benefits to any class or race over another. Play what sounds interesting and fun for you. Welcome!

Moondrop

Banned
So it's finally done downloading, and I'm about to start. Is there anything I should know about charactcharacters creation or class selection or anything?
Races are for flavor mostly. The classes do have some differences but all have flexibility within them. Don't worry too much; you can always start a new character later if you don't like how it came out.

Levyne

Banned

Sure. There are virtually no racial bonuses, so it's not like there's a preferred race-class combo in 99% of cases. There are a couple of racial skills, independent of your class, that are generally underpowered or situational. So basically pick a race you like.

The large races and small races run at the same speed so Norn might feel slow and Asura might feel fast.

Anything in your wallet or bank will stay there, even if you delete all your characters to redesign or rename them. You will lose anything in your bags.

Warriors, Rangers, and Guards are kind of low curve classes, Necro, Eles mid, Engi and Mes a little tougher. No idea on thieves.

Pick Storm bluff Isle if you want to be where the majority of gaf is for wvw purposes. You can play with us in pve as long as you pick any NA server.

Added: You will start out in your racial home area, but you can pretty much go anywhere from the start. If you wanna make your Asura's first adventures to be in the Shiver peaks with the Norn, you can.

Starting a new game, and feeling free to experiment before the "pressure" of "doing it right" kicks in, is amazing: so just pick what seems cool, go where you think looks interesting, and don't worry too much: there is no "wasted time" in GW2 (other than idling in Lion's Arch and talking shit in map chat ;)

What's so special about the icy sack? o_O

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Icy_Sack

Look at that TP price. Granted, there's only three available, mine included, and lots of requests, but still o_O

My guess: nothing. Someone just bought out the supply on the TP, leaving only the ridiculously high-priced sell listings by people who probably don't even play anymore. Almost every dirt-cheap item on the TP has a bunch of high-price listings, because people.

ZenaxPure

I finally installed and started playing a bit yesterday, up to level 12 or 13 or so now, just finished the first part of my story stuff. I went with human male thief (cause that is always my first choice in RPGs) and picked the street rat backstory because that is also usually what I do in RPGs and shit.... I walked right into a Nolan North/Troy Baker trap.

Taffer

Wow, just read a post claiming that Death Shroud's Life Blast damage is dependent on main-hand weapon, i.e. you must have swapped from staff for maximum damage. That seems like an oversight; will test later.

It's true and don't you mean swapped to staff? Unless there's some axe training related mathematical shenanigans going on I don't know about (very likely).

Thorgal

The watchwork mining pick is back available on the gemstore .

If anyone has been interested in one of the unlimited tools , i recommend this one .

Best mining pick by far .

Cathcart

But I like when Mine-R-Tron makes "jokes".

What else can you do with the watchwork things besides make Kerrigan wings? I'm dumb enough that I might just buy a second set of permanent tools for an alt.

Moondrop

Banned
It's true and don't you mean swapped to staff? Unless there's some axe training related mathematical shenanigans going on I don't know about (very likely).
Yeah my language was unclear. I meant transformed from staff into death shroud, and before that swapped from any other weapon set to staff. I probably won't be going power though; maybe in spvp.

Taffer

But I like when Mine-R-Tron makes "jokes".

What else can you do with the watchwork things besides make Kerrigan wings? I'm dumb enough that I might just buy a second set of permanent tools for an alt.

Zealot's gear (power, precision, healing), some runes/sigils and watchwork portal devices, or just sell them on the TP for about 3s40 each. It's the only pick that does something other than look different as well, so if you're gonna buy a pick it's the top choice.
There was a bundle of permatools that was cheaper than buying 3 tools individually that included it but no consortium sickle so my alts carry on as they were thank you very much.

And I was just told by the launcher that it couldn't verify my gameplay privileges which I thought was a neat choice of words.

Minamu

My guess: nothing. Someone just bought out the supply on the TP, leaving only the ridiculously high-priced sell listings by people who probably don't even play anymore. Almost every dirt-cheap item on the TP has a bunch of high-price listings, because people.
Okay, damnit xD I guess I'll take mine down then and try to recuperate the 4g it cost to put it there.

ZenaxPure

Hehe. Thief < level 40 helped me cut my teeth on the combat system in general. Playing Guardian and Warrior feels like eeeeeeasymooooode :D

Thief has been kind of weird so far for me. Mostly just trying to figure out my best use of initiative. I'm dual wielding daggers and all my skills seem kind of underwhelming compared to Heartseeker when a mob is at 50% or lower, but, before then I have no idea.

I'm not really too worried about it or anything though, still a pretty low level and I imagine things change as you go along and unlock other abilities.

Moondrop

Banned
Thief has been kind of weird so far for me. Mostly just trying to figure out my best use of initiative. I'm dual wielding daggers and all my skills seem kind of underwhelming compared to Heartseeker when a mob is at 50% or lower, but, before then I have no idea.
As we're alluding, thief can be trickier to learn than other classes; stick with it. Once you unlock a second weapon set to swap to (*coughshortbowcough*), your options really open up. Personally I use dagger/pistol. But nothing really compares to Heartseeker except a great Backstab. If you see someone writing "2222" in chat, they're mocking the "ideal thief rotation" of nothing but Heartseekers.

I'm not really too worried about it or anything though, still a pretty low level and I imagine things change as you go along and unlock other abilities.

As long as you keep experimenting with the various weapons (weapon vendors sell cheap white weapons that are always on or near your level), eventually you'll find a groove. Then it's a matter of getting all your Utility skills unlocked, and then, getting Traits unlocked and set up to augment what you're running. I wouldn't worry too much about Traits until 80 - finding a playstyle that works for you is far more important initially.

MattyG

Banned
Well, I'm at level 11 and loving it. I've done nearly every quest in the first area (for humans at least, I'm a human ranger). I'm going to take a break, but when I log in next I'm going to do the next story mission

Also, Nolan North. I just can't quit you, Nolan <3.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh, you finally got over your fear of rolling warrior and retired your squishies once you realized the glory you'd been deprived? :p
haha. one day my warrior may get to 80 I suppose

Thief does take a while to open up, but Dagger/Dagger is actually fairly low on my list of favorite sets. I'm not sure directly what you're referring to with regard to "underwhelming," but if you wanna commit to it your primary damage is coming from Cloak and Dagger->Backstab, i.e.: 5, move to enemy's back if you're not there, 1. If you're attacking a single target and it's >50% HP, that's all you should be spending initiative on, and there's a cooldown on stealth so there's a rhythm to it that you have to develop.

Let me find a post I made recently...
Thief clicks around level 30, IMO. You need to get a grasp on how to survive despite the low armor and HP, and then you'll start dealing huge damage at low risk and, if you're anything like me, love it.

Init regen is a static 1 init every .75 seconds. However, there are MANY options for initative regen within your traits. I love the Gain Initiative on Steal for example, but there are lots of ways you can spec, or not, as you decide on your playstyle.

You've picked the two weapon sets I would describe as my least favorite. Pistol/Pistol in particular is extremely situational- ranged, single-target damage only. The occasions wherein you need this skillset are few and far between. Either set with Pistol offhand- D/P or S/P- allow you to take advantage of the 5 skill, Black Powder, which is absolutely magnificent in PvE. D/D is better, but only if you want to go all-in on Backstabs (5 -> Run around to target's back -> 1). The 3 is good in situations where there are a flood of weak enemies, but for the most part, you're using 5, 1, and 2, and primarily 5 and 1 until an enemy is low on HP, to do damage, leaving the other skills untouched. The offhand 4, Dancing Dagger, makes more sense in a ranged set; P/D is one of my favorites and extremely versatile.

One thing you should decide on as you get higher up is if you want to roll conditions, direct/critical damage, or some kind of hybrid. They're all viable but excel under different circumstances.

edit: D/P is my favorite set overall, and Shortbow is essentially useful under 99% of the conditions in the game, along with great for mobility.
if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom