• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah... that's one huge drop .

Well, if you factor in the bonus chest per path, yeah. But that's why it's a bonus chest.

I can't even recall when I last fought Behemoth. I barely log often enough to stay current with the updates. If his health is in line with Caledon Wurm's, then that sounds reasonable to me.

Shadowbehemoth now has a few more mechanics that prevent him from being burned down too fast, his invul phases last longer, and there are a series of portals to close before he goes back into burn phase.

Moondrop

Banned
Celes eles are all the rage nowadays.

Been playing with D/D for my ele, and I'm finding it very fun. I still prefer staff for its AoEs and support, but it's fun just zipping around mashing buttons and whipping stuff.
Been playing celestial stat ele for months, it's great. Recently finished an ascended armor set on him. Damage is lower than zero, of course, but it has solid sustain and can take hits while being good enough for dungeons.
I dunno... if I'm giving up zerker damage, maybe I should go the other way entirely. Nomad ele with Rock Solid (stability to allies on earth attune) plus one of the new grandmasters, Diamond Skin (no condis applied >90% health) or Stone Heart (can't be crit while earth attuned), a true support class. Or just go cleric and bring some decent healing.

Mxrz

I look forward to the "Why cant I buy it with gems to gold!!!" nonsense should the case be

D/D eles don't need zerk since they generate might like its nothing. Might stacking in general feels broken. My pve pug warrior generates 25 stacks off autoattack/hundred blades. Either encounters get balanced around groups having that, or ignore it and get blown up like all the old content does.

Minamu

D/D ele, I assume that's a dagger/dagger build? based on what skills? :) I'd like to try something else than wood staff, although my fire skills are crazy good in pve!

D/D ele, I assume that's a dagger/dagger build? based on what skills? :) I'd like to try something else than wood staff, although my fire skills are crazy good in pve!
I run persisting flames with d/d for super might stacks and fury. I usually run signet of air, ice bow, and arcane wave. The utilities really vary by situation though.

I run 6 water for teq fights and wvw.

Ludovico

Ludo/Rpgerjake/Ser Davos/Midnight Iris/Freyia shoutout to GAF:

Add me - rpgerjake.2935
I don't really get much time to play during the week due to work, but I always look forward to Saturday nights with the guild. I don't really play GW2 as much as I use it to relax and spend time with awesome people, of which there are plenty of amongst the gaf ranks.

Thanks again for another great run, tons of fun, and bad tree puns!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I have cele ele with cele staff, zerk/ramp accessories and zerk daggers and scep, all ascended save for scep and one of the dagger

Thanks to Dog Problems for making the lottery giant this week, and thanks to Callunah for being so generous and splitting it with me after she won. Between that and the officer thing, I have the biggest smile on my face tonight.

Love you, GAFGuild!

Minamu

I run persisting flames with d/d for super might stacks and fury. I usually run signet of air, ice bow, and arcane wave. The utilities really vary by situation though.

I run 6 water for teq fights and wvw.
A bit over my head as a newbie ele :lol But I was having fun with full fire and two daggers anyway. Gonna need some better daggers of course than random loot but still, quite effective combos there.

MattyG

Banned
I've almost got 100% in Queensdale. Don't think I'm going to do full completion in every area, that might get a bit old, but I love the sense of accomplishment I feel every time I finish something in this game. I hit my inventory limit already though, and can't figure out what to sell and what to keep.

Als, the game is still in beta on Mac, but is it effectively the full game? I'd like to play when I have long breaks in between classes and stuff.

Callunah

Neo Member
Thanks to Dog Problems for making the lottery giant this week, and thanks to Callunah for being so generous and splitting it with me after she won. Between that and the officer thing, I have the biggest smile on my face tonight.

Love you, GAFGuild!

Thank you indeed, to DogProblems! And Congrats to you Ike! My smile is pretty big too... happy to have won, and even happier to include you on my lucky night. =)

Your generosity is very much appreciated, Dog Problems... thank you so very much.=)

Oh... I guess its Saturday. Whoops!

Hey! We missed you tonight.... luckily we were able to find the guild bounty! *grin* See you tomorrow for make ups maybe!

A bit over my head as a newbie ele :lol But I was having fun with full fire and two daggers anyway. Gonna need some better daggers of course than random loot but still, quite effective combos there.
It has to do with the combo system, which the elementalist abuses extensively.

Persisting flames makes fire fields (like ring of fire and burning speed) last longer, so they do more damage. More importantly, it allows you to use blast finishers like Frozen Burst or Arcane Wave more often, since you have more time to do so. On TOP of that, when you do blast a fire field, it gives 10 seconds of fury to your allies on top of the 3 stacks of might. +20% crit rate from fury and 15-20 stacks of might is huge on a party.

I've almost got 100% in Queensdale. Don't think I'm going to do full completion in every area, that might get a bit old, but I love the sense of accomplishment I feel every time I finish something in this game. I hit my inventory limit already though, and can't figure out what to sell and what to keep.
Competing a map of an area gives some nice leveled items, but don't do it just for the loot. If you do 100% complete every map in the game, you will get a special title, though as well as an item which you can use to make a legendary weapon. As for inventory, I recommend salvaging EVERYTHING you find that you don't intend to use until you hit about level 60 (unless it's rare, then you should probably sell it on the trade post). Most materials from tier 1-4 are more valuable than the stuff they are salvaged from. If you need more inventory space, buy some bags. 8-10 slot bags are quite cheap, the guild bank probably has some right now. Otherwise, you can place them into your bank. If you have any crafting materials, then you can simply put it in you materials storage from anywhere in the game by using the "deposit all materials" option in the top right drop down menu in your inventory window.

zulux21

man... getting that frying pan was balls hard as a level 12... well now 14 for exploring :/
hopefully the jumping puzzles aren't high level ><;

Spyware

Just a note, it doesn't actually require a JP (in orr, at least). The look of the chest is what matters, so there are a few chests in random areas that also give the package. One is below the Hope Falls (PoI) waterfall in Malchor's. No jumping required and few mobs in the way... except for the whole other zone ofc. Have also found it in another place in ML. Not yet found it in Straits but I bet others have.

Emitan

Hey! We missed you tonight.... luckily we were able to find the guild bounty! *grin* See you tomorrow for make ups maybe!

Yeah I should be at makeups! Thanks for thinking about me :)

Also its about time Ike was made an officer. He's always there to help other members of the guild and he's the nicest guy I know. He definitely deserves it.

I got my first alt to level 80!

Glycia Silverpaw the Charr Engineer

15297065494104768512_dujew.jpg

She is in a mix of exotic and ascended gear, and she has all of the skills and traits for her build, so she's ready for anything!

Well deserved, glad to have another great leader aboard!

Thank you!

Also its about time Ike was made an officer. He's always there to help other members of the guild and he's the nicest guy I know. He definitely deserves it.

Thanks, Emi!

It's easy to be nice when everyone around you is so great to begin with. I'll keep doing my best to be worthy of the rank.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I need a kitschy catchy name for a pink-haired human warrior

EDIT: Princess Parfait it is.

The hell, I can't access Create Character, it keeps disconnecting!

Thorgal

FELLOW GAFALONIANS

gw22015-01-0516-17-50m6uae.png

After a long jouney through Tyria , Godkrig The Brave has made it through legions of undead and now stands at the gates of Arah preparing himself to slay the vile serpent Zhaithan .

He is looking for a mighty and well clothed Pose to carry out this glorious task .

WHO WILL STAND WITH HIM ?

/ disengage cheesiness mode .

On another note i discovered the lightning in that spot is doing awesome things to my armor .

Reposting this to let people know this glorious quest will take place after todays makeups .

Mxrz

Feels like the last week has been 6/7 daily engineer win. I am starting to dislike the new dailies. Needs variety or something.

Taffer

On the one hand I hate that I have to go do specific things in specific areas for the current dailies rather than cocking about and (usually) finishing them without trying but on the other hand I don't care about 10AP. Laurels come from login chests now and the reward chests from each daily category aren't that interesting that I have to have them, so I'm gradually learning that dailies don't matter any more.

And because someone mentioned it in guild chat yesterday:

Reward bonus chests from achievements are displayed as a pop-up in the lower-right corner of the screen. Unlike other bonus chests, these are character-bound and will disappear when you log out or switch your character. So you should claim them as soon as possible.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily

Open them UI chests before you switch character or log out!

Mxrz

Yeah, the AP itself isn't much of a draw. But the pvp potions are a big help to my dungeoneer quest while I'm busy/burnout. I don't consider myself a pvp'er or a pve'er (or a wvw'er, or any of that) but I've found I don't bother with most of the pve dailies unless its the mine/lumber/forage ones.

Minamu

On the one hand I hate that I have to go do specific things in specific areas for the current dailies rather than cocking about and (usually) finishing them without trying but on the other hand I don't care about 10AP. Laurels come from login chests now and the reward chests from each daily category aren't that interesting that I have to have them, so I'm gradually learning that dailies don't matter any more.

And because someone mentioned it in guild chat yesterday:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily

Open them UI chests before you switch character or log out!
Wow, that's crazy. 10 AP is still really good for me though, just reached 2000 AP today! :D Finally got my Zenith greatsword after my gf mistakenly made a zenith longbow last year at 1000 AP xD

I think what's more confusing is that 2 years in they haven't redone that entire fight and dungeon.

If you look at the game critically, there are a thousand things that need to be fixed, changed, tweaked, or redone. Probably more like two thousand.

If you take just the "big" things, like the final Zhaitan fight, there's probably about a hundred things that need to be redone. And if you asked on the forums which one should be redone first, you'd get 100 different answers.

It's easy to look at one single element of a game and go "yeah, they should fix that" - but studios work according to their internal milestones and timelines, which we're not privy to. What we might think is important to fix now, is actually pretty low on the priority list. I think Zhaitan and his dungeon, are pretty low on the list. It'd be nice if they redid it, but since it works and isn't broken in some way that prevents people from completing their Personal Story, I doubt it has the urgency to "fix" or redo as something else.

If you look at the game critically, there are a thousand things that need to be fixed, changed, tweaked, or redone. Probably more like two thousand.

If you take just the "big" things, like the final Zhaitan fight, there's probably about a hundred things that need to be redone. And if you asked on the forums which one should be redone first, you'd get 100 different answers.

It's easy to look at one single element of a game and go "yeah, they should fix that" - but studios work according to their internal milestones and timelines, which we're not privy to. What we might think is important to fix now, is actually pretty low on the priority list. I think Zhaitan and his dungeon, are pretty low on the list. It'd be nice if they redid it, but since it works and isn't broken in some way that prevents people from completing their Personal Story, I doubt it has the urgency to "fix" or redo as something else.
I don't know man...
That entire story dungeon was highly criticized at launch, and feels like one of those "non-bug thing" that should've been priotized.

Moreso than stuff like the AC dungeon rework anyway.

Trey

I don't know man...
That entire story dungeon was highly criticized at launch, and feels like one of those "non-bug thing" that should've been priotized.

Changing the Zhaitan fight at this point would be very low impact and cosmetic. It wouldn't make huge waves.

There's a few structural things I'd change about GW2 before touching that sequence.

Minamu

On the topic of Zhaitan, is it just me or isn't he very oddly introduced during the early story parts? As far as I know, my characters don't know any elder dragons from their childhood xD But the name is very casually mentioned and nobody bats an eye that a dragon is awake. Maybe I've missed some intro cutscene or some story from in between both games? It certainly feels that way with Logan Thackery and his old split up gang you meet later on. Are they all major parts in Eye of the North? Because it has always felt as if I should be nostalgic about Caithe and that whole crew, yet I don't recognize them at all xD

I don't know man...

I think there are likely more people who see AC story, than Arah story, since AC is the first dungeon in the game, while Arah sits right at the end. I'd actually love to know the numbers of how many people actually bother finishing their personal story.

So changing AC, to give a better early impression of the game, makes sense to me. By the time people hit Arah, and level 80, they're already pretty familiar with the game, so the dungeon's inconsistencies and underwhelming plot conclusion, is a bit easier to 'forget and move on', than the first dungeon being tweaked a little too tightly and thus rubbing people the wrong way.

While I agree - Arah story needs a good do-over, from a business perspective, focusing on AC made sense to me. I do think ArenaNet is spread too thin. The nature of the three game modes also means that PvE takes the most work, and eats up the lion's share of resources, leaving PVP and WvW struggling along. However, so far ArenaNet has been fiscally lucrative, and unlike every other company in the NCSoft stable, they didn't need to let people go over the last two years. I'd imagine they run a pretty tight ship, to prevent things from going over budget and eventually tanking the whole operation.

As a player and consumer, of course I'd like it if ArenaNet spent more on growing its ranks, putting more people on the things that need work, and having "less donuts on fridays", to quote a rude Twitter person. But as a *human being*, I understand that running a company is hard, employees are people with schedules and home lives, and just because I'm not privy to management's plans, doesn't mean management is incompetent.

So in the end, you just kinda gotta roll with it.

I don't know man...

Its weird, but isn't there only like 7 designers working on dungeons? It would explain it at least!

But if 400 people are working on GW2.. How the hell does that work? Must be a lot of support - behind the scenes staff who keeps things running in the background!

Its weird, but isn't there only like 7 designers working on dungeons? It would explain it at least!

But if 400 people are working on GW2.. How the hell does that work? Must be a lot of support - behind the scenes staff who keeps things running in the background!
Current understanding is that entire dungeon team was dissolved but not sure if that means they all got laid off or just moved to other projects.
We probably will find out jan24th what majority of company has been working on.

300, last I heard, and you'd be surprised how many of those end up being things along the lines of programmers, technicians etc - and then just pure asset creation. "One programmer for every seven artists" as the joke goes in game dev.

Also a lot of maintenance staff, I'm sure a LOT of the total is things like customer relations and support staff. A hell of a lot goes into a game like GW2, not just making content for it, but keeping it running, across several languages, multiple OS, etc.

But it's all conjecture, until we see actual numbers for how things are split. I'd love to know, if only to sate my curiosity. But I can understand why they wouldn't want to release those numbers: the community would just use it against them.

Just did an AC1 run with Ike, Zeroth, Moondrop and Zyra to get Ike's 2nd alt to 80... we got the troll and we decided to make him and Kohler fight each other.

I didn't get any actual good shots of the fight unfortunately. Every time I tried to get close I would get wrecked =P

Kohler kicked the troll's sorry ass. I've only done this twice before and the troll always won. I wonder if it's because the corridor works in Kohler's favour.

Jira

Time for fun facts:

ANet has a bit over 300 employees or so. I believe 75-80 are artists. They never had a designated dungeon team but instead anyone who wanted to work on a dungeon could join the "team" for that specific dungeon. ~20 people work on the Living World updates.

zulux21

man, these glitches on this second jumping puzzle I am doing are really souring me on guild wars in general... these are some terrible glitches royally screwing me over again and again -_-

finally got it done by riding one of the glitches to the end :/
w/e at least the other ones don't seem to be timed so if there continues to be a ton of glitches with the camera freaking out or my character randomly tripping in mid air it won't be as bad.

Current understanding is that entire dungeon team was dissolved but not sure if that means they all got laid off or just moved to other projects.
We probably will find out jan24th what majority of company has been working on.

What happens on the 24th? Wasn't the update the 16th?

300, last I heard, and you'd be surprised how many of those end up being things along the lines of programmers, technicians etc - and then just pure asset creation. "One programmer for every seven artists" as the joke goes in game dev.

Also a lot of maintenance staff, I'm sure a LOT of the total is things like customer relations and support staff. A hell of a lot goes into a game like GW2, not just making content for it, but keeping it running, across several languages, multiple OS, etc.

But it's all conjecture, until we see actual numbers for how things are split. I'd love to know, if only to sate my curiosity. But I can understand why they wouldn't want to release those numbers: the community would just use it against them.

Ahh right! Of course - the designers work work on design, while other teams would make art, sound and such, right?
I understand why they wouldn't reveal it too. Speaking of which, is GW2 reddit less toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom