• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hype +1. It's about damn time.

This made me chuckle:
w9IT4QP.png

Twookie

And they don't have to complain whenever a thread pops up concerning a game they don't like. I don't like a lot of AAA games coming out right now, but I don't pop in every thread to complain about it.

eh, well people are entitled to their opinion and they should be allowed so to say that for example "I will check it out if they change x, y etc.". This is a forum after all and if they want to have a conversation about it, then they'll have one. Besides, there's always someone that's bound to dislike about something you like, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying things you like :)

e: didn't see that edit before after posting, bleugh

E nr2: Just realized my avatar is from a warcraft character(this artwork is from their MOBA though), but just to clarify, I didn't really complain about GW2 in that thread but I guess if you saw the avatar you might've thought I did

what i'm saying is that people that dislike the game probably won't stay around here in the community thread to complain about it.

One would think so. Except the last two years of the GW2 OTs would prove you wrong. :p

Nobody is worried about someone not liking the game. We're just commenting on a very specific kind of hate-post that have been a permanent fixture in every GW2 thread on gaming side since launch.

Hasn't stopped any of us enjoying the game.

Lunar15

I'm like, 80% sure we'll get Guild Halls in the coming year. I can just feel it my bones. I need GAFhalla.

Actually, whatever this Heart of Thorns thing is, whether it be an expansion or just a branding update to the living world, I strongly expect it to have a stronger focus on Guilds in general. Just going by stuff they've talked about the past and then kind of quietly ignored, new Legendaries, skills, and higher-end guild content (like Raids) are probably more of the focus going forward. They've talked about doing these things, both through posts and CDI, but we haven't seen much of it. I doubt they've been lying, it's just that they haven't found the best way to deliver it yet or it's taking longer than expected.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Very intriguing stuff!

I'm maybe a little less hyped based on the subtitle- I would have thought any boxed expansion would have much wider scope than the current events we know about, but all signs would seem to point to this being "the Mordemoth expansion" and the events we've pursued in Season 2 being the lead up to it. I'd have thought it would involve whatever's next after Mordremoth, and center on a new continent.

I suppose I don't care all in all that much about that though- my check box for an "expansion thing to have" is new weapon skills. If we finally get new weapon skills I'm likely to be satisfied no matter what the context is in which we use them.

Mostly, I'm interested in how this isn't like any other expansion, and what kind of precedent they mean to set here for the future of the game and the industry.

I wonder about pricing. I don't think a patent registration would be necessary for any kind of delivery that didn't result in an SKU, so we're talking something you pay for. Though it is inevitable to some extent and degree, I'm actually not looking forward to paying more money for GW2 content. I know precisely how many people are clamoring for exactly that, but I'll just be a quiet voice on the other side. I've really appreciated how long I've been able to play so far, doing whatever I felt like, without spending a dime unless I felt like specifically supporting the game at the time.

Still watching closely in any case!

...I'm actually not looking forward to paying more money for GW2 content.

No matter how well the Gem store might or might not be doing, if you want more GW2 content we would have to pay for it.

For me just like original game I do not mind paying to have more of what I enjoy, as long as that payment is not every month (ie subscription fee).

Why you so down on this?

Ashodin

Edit: itt Kos reveals he's more capitalistic than America

Kos, having a price tag on the thing splits the playerbase into haves and havenots. Those who don't have the money to spend will be left out in the cold waiting while their friends move on into the expac.

I guarantee Tengu. JK. Most likely we'll get the raids people have been asking for, which makes a great bullet point.

Also, more guild stuff makes GAF guild even more important, and I'm down to make sure that stuff happens.

I'm laughing my head off at people clamoring for "overhaul to the whole game plz" without even posting what that means. C'mon son.

Levyne

Banned
I mean, they aren't going to overhaul the combat to chase players they've lost and risk losing the players they have. It seems like a silly thing to hope for, except in fringe cases like condition tweaking for pve.

spiritfox

I mean, they aren't going to overhaul the combat to chase players they've lost and risk losing the players they have. It seems like a silly thing to hope for, except in fringe cases like condition tweaking for pve.

Nope, we're gonna get the trinity and you're gonna like it.

Twookie

It's fine. Better you than some troll looking to rile people up =)

well to be honest I still very much like the game, as I have invested 2200~ hours in it, can't really bring myself up to rile people up.
I just wish I had as much fun as you guys have with the game :( I'll probably look into it again when(if) the expansion drops

Edit: itt Kos reveals he's more capitalistic than America

Kos, having a price tag on the thing splits the playerbase into haves and havenots. Those who don't have the money to spend will be left out in the cold waiting while their friends move on into the expac.

I guarantee Tengu. JK. Most likely we'll get the raids people have been asking for, which makes a great bullet point.

Also, more guild stuff makes GAF guild even more important, and I'm down to make sure that stuff happens.

I'm laughing my head off at people clamoring for "overhaul to the whole game plz" without even posting what that means. C'mon son.

If you are not able to save up $20/$40 dollars for a GW2 expansion you probably 1) don't like the game enough to try and save for it, or 2) so poor that you can't even afford the internet to play the game, so why bother about those people.

If ANET makes more money they can make more of the content I enjoy so my wallet is ready ANET.

Ashodin

Oh Kos. Bigger picture, you, they just can't find each other.

Speculation is that weapons will be fully unlocked for all classes. I welcome it.

Plus a new type or two (whips have been mentioned).

Third plate wearing class incoming(heralded by rytlock)

New race incoming(most likely Tengu)

New skills incoming, including elites(fucking finally)

Levyne

Banned
Thanks! BTW, is it stormbluff the guild resides on? Can I permanently guest there? Haven't played since launch so sorta out of the loop

Yes, GAF is on Stormbluff. You don't need to guest at all, if you're on a NA server, you can play with us. Except in WvW, which is server specific.

Yes, GAF is on Stormbluff. You don't need to guest at all, if you're on a NA server, you can play with us. Except in WvW, which is server specific.

Eh? How does that work? I don't even remember what server I'm on. It's an NA one though. It's at 88% done downloading so will see.

Cathcart

Thanks! BTW, is it stormbluff the guild resides on? Can I permanently guest there? Haven't played since launch so sorta out of the loop

You don't have to, megaserver figures it out for you. I'm on Ehmry Bay and have no trouble playing with GAF. I think the only reason you'd need to transfer would be to do WvW with the guild but it doesn't sseem like there's a yon of that going on.

Edit omg so slow lol

Oh Kos. Bigger picture, you, they just can't find each other.

Speculation is that weapons will be fully unlocked for all classes. I welcome it.

Plus a new type or two (whips have been mentioned).

Third plate wearing class incoming(heralded by rytlock)

New race incoming(most likely Tengu)

New skills incoming, including elites(fucking finally)

Stop pulling shit out of your ass.

Not enough Colin in this thread:
ColinAlchemy.jpg

Ashodin

Eh? How does that work? I don't even remember what server I'm on. It's an NA one though. It's at 88% done downloading so will see.
Basically the way it used to work was you have your server, then we had ours and you had to specify our server to play with us. Now, since you're in GAF guild, if you're on any NA server, it'll ferry you into any map with GAF guild members in it (or at least try). It'll do that automatically.

Edit: Kos you're needing reading glasses today aren't you :)

I said "speculation".

5il3nc3r

Since this xpac looks to be focusing on Modremoth I'm guessing we will still be fighting a lot of Modrem? I hope they're not recycled Modrem enemies from SW, I think I've had my fill fighting them.

Basically the way it used to work was you have your server, then we had ours and you had to specify our server to play with us. Now, since you're in GAF guild, if you're on any NA server, it'll ferry you into any map with GAF guild members in it (or at least try). It'll do that automatically.

Ah that is cool, thanks for the info

Lunar15

With all these airships we've been building, a flying Guild Hall is probably (read: an absolute fact) going to happen.

I mean, I told Colin about it one time in chat, and he said it was a great idea, which totally 100% means its going to happen. I cross-checked this with my uncle from Nintendo first.

Ashodin

Someone made a great post about how the pact will leave without us this time, and that the expac will be about us rejoining them deeper in Maguuma. I feel this will be the case, except the pact we'll find is utterly decimated, and we'll need more help than before.

Levyne

Banned
Since this xpac looks to be focusing on Modremoth I'm guessing we will still be fighting a lot of Modrem? I hope they're not recycled Modrem enemies from SW, I think I've had my fill fighting them.

Like Hawkian mentioned, the subtitle seems a bit confined for an expansion, but we don't know. It could make sense if Mordremoth is just Zhaitan 2.0 in terms of being "endgame", but it certainly seems very Maguuma/Mordrem/Thorn specific. Maybe suggests #notanexpansion

Lunar15

Like Hawkian mentioned, the subtitle seems a bit confined for an expansion, but we don't know. It could make sense if Mordremoth is just Zhaitan 2.0 in terms of being "endgame", but it certainly seems very Maguuma/Mordrem/Thorn specific. Maybe suggests #notanexpansion

I'm increasingly feeling that this is not an expansion. Boy, the fallout when it isn't is going to be pretty bad.

They need to be pretty careful about how they word this thing.

5il3nc3r

If it is an expansion that's focusing on a single dragon Modremoth then that means we have many expansions on the way. How many Elder Dragons is there remaining to kill?

Ashodin

If it is an expansion that's focusing on a single dragon Modremoth then that means we have many expansions on the way. How many Elder Dragons is there remaining to kill?
Five including Mordremoth.

I'm increasingly feeling that this is not an expansion. Boy, the fallout when it isn't is going to be pretty bad.

No, no negative nancying! Bad lunar!

I'll be happy no matter what happens with the announcement and the story today. New stuff is exciting.

I just hope people don't get pissed off and leave >_> I need people to play with... the game is boring by yourself.

Lunar15

We know of 6, 1 is dead, so there are 5 left. Personally, I think it'd be interesting to have two dragons at the same time, either working together or fighting against each other. They could do a Fire & Ice setup where Jormag and Primordus wake up at the same time.

Wanderer5

We know of 6, 1 is dead, so there are 5 left. Personally, I think it'd be interesting to have two dragons at the same time, either working together or fighting against each other. They could do a Fire & Ice setup where Jormag and Primordus wake up at the same time.

The rest of the dragons are awake now actually.

nataku

I really hope, if this is an expansion, they took the opportunity to overhaul the event system. Look more towards what EQNext is planning to do.

I'll probably just stay away from any GW2 or MMO related websites for a few weeks if that happens.

Lunar15

The rest of the dragons are awake now actually.

I guess I just mean "active". Jormag's awake, as is Primordus, but the world isn't really focusing on them.

On negativity: I don't care if it's an expansion or not, as long as the content is there. I just think that Anet is going to actively avoid calling anything an expansion.

Ashodin

I just want to say that I'll never become a "I'll reserve judgement" type of guy. It's a very boring and pedantic way to live. We're here so very short a time, why not get excited for stuff.

That being said, I can't sleep over this. I'm through the roof :DDDDDD

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No matter how well the Gem store might or might not be doing, if you want more GW2 content we would have to pay for it.

For me just like original game I do not mind paying to have more of what I enjoy, as long as that payment is not every month (ie subscription fee).

Why you so down on this?
I actually think I explained myself pretty well :p My point is exactly that we haven't had to pay for it so far and that's incredible. It's a remarkable feat that they haven't had a single "gating" purchase so far, and unlike the majority on this I wish it would continue- for another full year, even, I'd be perfectly happy.

Don't mistake my position for not being excited about whatever it is (though, as I mentioned and Levyne notes as well, "Heart of Thorns" feels small for an Expansion- would you blink if it were just the name of the next Living Story release?), and huge chunk of content will get me hyped as soon as we have any details about it. I'll pay gladly whatever is asked, since I think the game is worth an additional X dollars past what I paid in the first place, content gate or no content gate.

But I will say that I'm very sanguine that it's something different- not quite like a traditional MMO expansion, in whatever way. ArenaNet can absolutely run the market right now- it could even be argued they have no direct competition in 2015. The business decisions they make with NCSoft at their backs will have a marked impact on the future of MMOs, and I'd really like to see something innovative, something that continues to demonstrate you don't have to do it the way it's always been done.

The thing is, it's nigh-useless to apply for a registered trademark if you don't plan on making money directly from that trademark. None of the individual release titles (to my knowledge) have been trademarked.

But it could still be something different than what we conjure to mind when we hear "expansion."

Lunar15

All this speculation is dandy and all, but let's get down to the cold-hard facts:

What are we going to call our Flying Guild Hall Airship GvG Battle Fortress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom