• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swnny

Finished the last 3 missions for like a hour and a half total, but man that was a blast.
From the
ascension "mini-missions"/objectives from GW1
to the ending cutscenes (my game stuck at loading screen after the final mission, but the last scene aka
the pax "trailer"
played fine after re-login). Hype is in check for 24. Bring it on, Anet!

Morokh

Interesting stuff, if not for the fights that always tend to last for way too long ....

I expected a way more Skyrim-esque dragon finisher when I saw the interact option, that really was underwhelming.

let's see what the 24th brings now.

Thorgal

GUYS , WHATEVER YOU DO , DO NOT TOUCH TWITTER .
DO NOT READ THE FORUMS .
DO NOT READ ANYTHING EXCEPT THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU FINISHED THE EPISODE

Wanderer5

No Wynne's Locket in the vendor?:| Please let that be a mistake. I saved up crests for it along with the one for the helm, and I am tired of that Wicked Rodeo achievement. If they put in the one from Ep 5 and 6, then why not for 7.

Spyware

Bah. Have another episode to get through before I can play this one. Spoilers everywhere.

Used a makeover kit on Flavia for the bazillionth time. Very happy (at the moment at least xD)
tumblr_ni4vv4fojo1qg7wmro1_1280.png

Mxrz

bleh. please. The realities of business. I'm someone who reads every earnings call NCSoft has with its investors. Depending on the margins they are looking for, ANet can kind of survive indefinitely off of gem store sales... it really has been a pretty damn successful cash shop implementation. That's not the point, it has nothing to do with "wanting stuff for free." I've already derived my money's worth from the experience and then some, and I won't think twice about spending more; it's deserved. Furthermore, one of the main appeals from a business standpoint of a new expansion release is that regardless of the raw cash influx of everyone shelling out X dollars for the expansion, the PR swell that surrounds a new boxed release will result in a wave of front-page press, new players getting the game for the first time, old players returning, etc. all of whom may wind up buying some gems. ArenaNet has really done an impressive job thus far of generating these kind of cyclical swells without asking an expenditure, though of course I can see from a publisher's/shareholders' perspective how it feels like it's time.

I couldn't possibly care less about personally having to spend money to continue keeping up with the game as it advances, and I'm predisposed to do so even without looking at what content is being added. Regardless of pricing, the actual money out of my pocket is not a big deal. There are plenty of tangible reasons to not want a traditional boxed expansion, not the least of which being that there are plenty of people for whom the preceding sentence isn't true, and they won't be able to play the new stuff with me. Furthermore a boxed expansion carries with it a lot of check boxes people (especially from a sales/industry perspective) expect, only a small fraction of which I'm actually interested in. It remains to be seen if or how many of these will play a role in what we're getting, but that's why I'm hoping this isn't going to be quite what might be expected and they take another novel approach to expanding the game.

They can survive off the gem store. But then most companies aim to do more than just survive. There are plenty of players that haven't spent a dime on the game beyond retail. Throw in gold to gems and gold sellers, and I'd guess its a fairly high number.

There has long been a sentiment that ANet is greedy, gem store bad, etc. Its been creeping up more with the expansion hype. I expect it get worse. As someone that wants the game to flourish, its annoying to see players try their hardest to support ANet as little as possible. So yes, I hope its a "normal" expansion in that everyone has to pay for it. ANet deserves it.

Wanderer5

Crap guess I have to finish Wicked Redeo afterall.:| I thought the trinket appeared in the vendor in the next update but nope lol. Great now I need to find some people to do it cause I not dealing with that BS boss solo nor with just two people, and that probably be hard.:/

Crap guess I have to finish Wicked Redeo afterall.:| I thought the trinket appeared in the vendor in the next update but nope lol. Great now I need to find some people to do it cause I not dealing with that BS boss solo nor with just two people.

I can help you through this if you want, I've gone with 2 or 3 sets of people now :D.

The hardest part of that set is the challenge mote of the Togonn fight. It's kind of annoying but once you realize how to not repeatedly die to the wind walls you're fine. You can jump over them like Teq's waves, and air focus 4 will delete any piece of a wind wall that passes through. (I expect other projectile-destroying skills will act in the same way but I haven't tested so I can't say either way)

Also, for the parts where Togonn leaves invulnerability and doesn't spawn earth elementals, it's % health based and not time based so you can have one person kite him around while the others throw down a regen field and get back to full health before continuing on. A bit more time consuming but at least you'll get through without wiping 800 times :p

Wanderer5

I can help you through this if you want, I've gone with 2 or 3 sets of people now :D.

The hardest part of that set is the challenge mote of the Togonn fight. It's kind of annoying but once you realize how to not repeatedly die to the wind walls you're fine. You can jump over them like Teq's waves, and air focus 4 will delete any piece of a wind wall that passes through. (I expect other projectile-destroying skills will act in the same way but I haven't tested so I can't say either way)

Also, for the parts where Togonn leaves invulnerability and doesn't spawn earth elementals, it's % health based and not time based so you can have one person kite him around while the others throw down a regen field and get back to full health before continuing on. A bit more time consuming but at least you'll get through without wiping 800 times :p

Yeah i aware of a lot these things heh.:p *sigh* Just gets too chaotic for me, I can be a bit slow to respond (why I bring my pretty tanky warrior heh), but I guess it would help me and a friend if we can get people who went through this a bit at least, and maybe a really good caithe.XD

I just don't want to get stall by one freaking achievement. I already put so much effort into this collection.:(

Moondrop

Banned
I swear my Moot has a new glow to it when wielded, shimmering rainbow pulses extending out from opposing sides. It's even more glorious than ever. Before the effect from the ball was more like white/purple beams of light.

The confetti looks different, there's a ball of rainbow light near the base... Ninja, please confirm I'm not
that
crazy.

Emitan

Entire post is spoilers about the ending of season 2. Don't read until you finish :)

Wow. I've seen folks speculating that the Sylvari belonged to Mordremoth since the game came out and they finally confirmed it. Wow. That trailer at the end was amazing. I am so incredibly hyped for the announcement I just can't wait.

And Rytlock is back! Maybe as a new class? :p

I guess the expansion will go deeper into Maguuma unless that Canthan forest has anything to do with Sylvari

I'm like 4 episodes behind now, not much time to play with the baby here now.

Can I finish all before PAX and the announcement? We'll see. IF all else fails, i'll just play the last one and then catch up on the others later.

Arcteryx

I'm like 4 episodes behind now, not much time to play with the baby here now.

Can I finish all before PAX and the announcement? We'll see. IF all else fails, i'll just play the last one and then catch up on the others later.

Most can be done in ~ an hour. This latest one was pretty quick too.

Just did the LS/finale. I enjoyed it and the atmosphere of the end boss fight was amazing with all the fire and shit. But compared to the LS1's finale it was kind of underwhelming though I suppose the new cinematics sort of redeems it, not to the level of LS1 though.

Grudy

I just finished playing and that was an absolute blast! Probably my favorite episode of the entire season 2! I'm not sure if we can mention/talk about the ending yet but Anet sure knows how to hype their players up
TadkV.gif

Wish I could play again. I've been searching high and low for a way to get my Xbone controller set up with something. :/

edit: May have solved it. Waiting for GW2 to update. ;;

Jira

Just finished the episode and wow...

Amazing how everything has tied together with the sylvari. What I found interesting in the cutscenes was I swear one area looked like Utopia. Also, I noticed polearms in the CS too. Speaking of the CS, those two cutscenes put the rest of the industries art teams to absolute shame.
Only thing that sucks is talking to friends who quit GW2 before it even really got updates, it's hard to explain to them everything that has happened and why this is such a huge deal. I think for those of us who have seen everything from the beginning, it's absolutely monumental and sadly will not have nearly as big of an impact on any returning player.

xeris

Since I'm sure absolutely no one was waiting for it, here is the final xeris review (tm):

Without spoilers, I consider this entry to have three main parts. Might be able to quibble that there's a fourth, but eh, I calls it three so it's three.

The first part was kinda dull actually. Other than yet again regretting my choice to run almost all of these content updates on one of my squishiest 80's (condi spec Thief d/d p/p if anyone cares). Apparently I like seeing her nekkid since I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose all my armor at some point. That said, this first section wasn't it although it did it's damndest. The plot was "OK" but I had a hard time caring about it. If I heard correctly, it's a callback to something in GW1. Since I barely played GW1 that doesn't mean much to me.

The second part was kinda fun.
Battle for Claw Island
done right. Not much to say here really. Enjoyed the fight. The story part was OK and tied up a minor loose end
DE all collectively golng Eir had a kid?!?

Third part started OK, but then we hit my bugaboo with most of these LS's. The trick enounter that goes on way too damn long. I also couldn't figure out one part to the trick and had to ask Lev (btw, does anyone else still wanna call him Seda?). But of course I waited until Cynthia Frost was mostly nekkid. Even knowing what to do, the end boss completed the procedure. I swear her tailor must hate her. Other than the
trailer
at the end, I was unhappy with the, well, end. The spoiler thingy was nice and all and the end cut scene was fine as it went, but I didn't have a real feeling of accomplishment.

Overall, I'd give this a bouncy 6. Nothing was particularly bad exactly but I wasn't impressed by anything either.

I think I'd give season two a 7 overall. Maybe a 7.5 if we include the score from the Sylvari judge. This last one was really how I felt about all of them in a nutshell. There were fun parts and I could see glimmers of greatness here and there. On the other hand, there was a bit too much reliance on gimmick encounters and the writing and pacing really fell down in places.

Neo Dark

Well it's definitely no surprise the trademark went live at the time it did.

So...
are sylvaris banned from the guild now? They work for Mordremoth and will clearly destroy our guild and betray us! BURN THE SYLVARI... Jkjk *hugs my mini Caithe*

Tech-Wolf

just had to come in and say this,

I CAN'T WAIT for what they will show on the 24, that ending was incredible. I kinda expected where they would go next. but not like this haha.

MattyG

Banned
So I missed the first LS season, and now the second, since I only just started playing. Where would I go to catch up? Just read the wiki, or are there any good video recaps? And am I missing a lot by having not played them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom