• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I could have stayed for the whole thing, was having a blast.

DJi0NBd.jpg

Da8YKeT.jpg

ZFeUO3u.jpg

SBJ0FsC.jpg

knzh5Bq.jpg

0cRtLkS.jpg

t1422117000z2.png

Didn't get to enjoy the Orr event like I wanted. Constant distractions going in the real world kept taking my attention away. So sad to have it ruined for me like that. :(

Zeroth

The odds are probably pretty low, but anyone in the guild got a Mystic Forge Conduit they won't mind selling? I'm planning to buy one, but if there's a gaffer interested in selling that makes things easier for me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm kinda sick too on some NPC idle chat.

Also, who the hell refers to their city as "DR"? I understand players saying that, but NPCs?

I'm kinda sick too on some NPC idle chat.

Also, who the hell refers to their city as "DR"? I understand players saying that, but NPCs?

People in Johannesburg don't call it Johannesburg, they call it Joburg. Having shorter, easier, nicknames for cities is not exactly weird. I don't call Pittsburg Pittsburg all the time, I call it Pitt.

Arcayne

WoW got a little stale for casual ol' me and my girlfriend, so we're jumping on board the GW2 train tonight! In other words, hi guys

WoW got a little stale for casual ol' me and my girlfriend, so we're jumping on board the GW2 train tonight! In other words, hi guys

Welcome! Take it slow, have fun, and approach GW2 as it's own game. Coming straight from WoW, there may be a bit of a shock involved in how different GW2 is. It really doesn't work the same as WoW, the combat and game structure is very different. But once you get into it, I think you'll find it a refreshing change of pace.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask in guild chat once you've been added, or here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People in Johannesburg don't call it Johannesburg, they call it Joburg. Having shorter, easier, nicknames for cities is not exactly weird. I don't call Pittsburg Pittsburg all the time, I call it Pitt.
Not a city, but there are a whole lot of people living in the Dominican Republic who call it "the DR".
The same kind of people who refer to Los Angeles as LA?

I just find it weird in a setting in GW2. All NPCs I've seen so far call the cities by their whole outside of that one Seraph guy.

Arcayne

Welcome aboard, post your account names (name.####) to get an invite to GAFGuild if you'd like.

Welcome! Take it slow, have fun, and approach GW2 as it's own game. Coming straight from WoW, there may be a bit of a shock involved in how different GW2 is. It really doesn't work the same as WoW, the combat and game structure is very different. But once you get into it, I think you'll find it a refreshing change of pace.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask in guild chat once you've been added, or here.

Quite the warm welcome, heh. Thanks for the pointers! We're excited to try the game after work. Would've played on day 1 but our PCs sucked. As doge says, "much excite!"

fuzzyset

WIll the the Living World Season 2 stuff be there when the next season starts? I'm no where near 80 but I have been logging in sparingly to get the free chapters. I see no season 1 options, so will I need to rush to 80? Whats the best way to level now-a-days?

Retro

We've been getting a steady stream of new and returning players (usually about two a week on average though lately it's been one a day or thereabouts) and are currently at 478 accounts. Given next week's announcement will likely result in a spike in interest, we're going to do a small culling.

Members who have not logged in in the previous 4 months will be removed from the guild roster on Monday. This will free up about 60 spots for any new / returning players. We'll re-evaluate when we get closer to whatever Heart of Thorns turns out to be, but I did want to free a little space up and regular culling is a good habit to get into anyways.

Chances are if you are reading the OT on a regular basis, you're probably also logging into the game on a regular basis, so you have nothing to worry about. As always, anyone who was culled is immediately welcome back.

I'm also going to be cleaning up the guild bank today.

hythloday

WIll the the Living World Season 2 stuff be there when the next season starts? I'm no where near 80 but I have been logging in sparingly to get the free chapters. I see no season 1 options, so will I need to rush to 80? Whats the best way to level now-a-days?

Season 1 isn't available now because the content delivery was a lot different. There was a mix of solo content (both open world and instanced), temporary dungeons, and large-scale open world events that were problematic to make re-playable. They added boss fractals to preserve two of the encounters, but besides those, it's gone until ArenaNet figures out a way to bring some of it back.

Season 2 is all "episodes" that can be soloed or done with a group. If you've been logging on during each one to unlock them, they'll still be there when you get level 80. There's no need to rush at all.

fuzzyset

Season 1 isn't available now because the content delivery was a lot different. There was a mix of solo content (both open world and instanced), temporary dungeons, and large-scale open world events that were problematic to make re-playable. They added boss fractals to preserve two of the encounters, but besides those, it's gone until ArenaNet figures out a way to bring some of it back.

Season 2 is all "episodes" that can be soloed or done with a group. If you've been logging on during each one to unlock them, they'll still be there when you get level 80. There's no need to rush at all.

Thanks, but they'll still be there when season 3 starts?

Wanderer5

Whew finished the pact assaulted achievements (pretty easy on solo), resulting in getting both the new parts of the husk from that, and then ending up getting both the new troll parts and the helm all done this morning. Outside of the rest of the point of no return achievements and wicked redeo, I just need two coats and one Thrasher piece.

Retro

Guild Bank cleaned out. Came to about 40g worth of crap just sitting there collecting dust. I threw it in the transfer fund, but Hawkian can yank it out to make the lotto extra sweet tonight if people behave.

Also, there's a shitload of Christmas crap in the first tab now. I'm gonna give that maybe a month or so and then trash it, I think everybody who wanted the collection probably has it. Free up some room for stuff new players will actually want and use like bags, dyes, etc.

ZenaxPure

Coming straight from WoW, there may be a bit of a shock involved in how different GW2 is. It really doesn't work the same as WoW, the combat and game structure is very different. But once you get into it, I think you'll find it a refreshing change of pace.

Going to say I disagree with this, a lot of stuff in GW2 isn't all that different from how WoW has been changing over the past few years in a lot of ways. I'm close to level 60 now and it's been pretty easy to get the hang of things over the past week. It's different enough that I want to keep playing it, but, not so different that I was shocked and confused. This is purely talking about the leveling or "questing" experience, not really any sort of "endgame" stuff.

Frankly I have no idea what else is going on in GW2 besides the map completion, that is all I've been doing so far as someone who is a fan of exploration in MMOs. I'm already at 35% world completion or something. I figure I would just keep doing that until I was at 100% and then see what else was going on in the game >_>

Going to say I disagree with this, a lot of stuff in GW2 isn't all that different from how WoW has been changing over the past few years in a lot of ways.

People's mileage may vary, but I retired from WoW to start GW2, and the games to me were fundamentally very different. I've gone into it before (the whole High Input Low Output vs Low Input High Output post I made). It depends on the person though - I've had friends come from WoW to GW2 and hate it, because it didn't have ! quest markers, or the trinity, or the kind of streamlined hub-centric early-levelling that WoW has.

Some people make the transition easier - but it depends on what people are expecting. That's why I recommend people approach GW2 with a "Beginner's Mind", because having too many preconceptions can make one frustrated that the game isn't working the way one thinks it "should" work.

Sure, if you distill GW2 into very, *very* basic fundamentals, it's not *that* different from WoW - both games are themepark MMOs, after all. But if you look at it with more granularity, the differences become pronounced. After all, GW2 was designed to be a kind of "anti-WoW", to *not* do a lot of the things WoW does. Like Gear Treadmills, artificial level gating, content being made obsolete due to level differentials, there's no Need/Greed (though WoW did recently implement Personal Loot, so that did change), there's no resource node stealing, etc.

I think people who go from WoW to GW2 specifically *looking* for something different, will be surprised and enjoy the experience. But if someone tries to go from WoW to GW2 as a purely lateral movement, the way the two systems are different creates a problem in learned player skill transference, which results in people feeling frustrated. Just look at dungeons - in GW2, there's no tank to keep the dps safe, there's no healer to keep everyone's bars up. The experience is *so* different between trinity vs unity, it can leave a very sour taste in people's mouths if they're not open to understanding the difference.

Retro

There's an Antique Bronze dye in the EU bank, mind if I take it? I also took one of those fancy tonic collection starters (and Zeroth gave me a good scare about it xD).

All yours, it's in the first tab. If somebody grabs it first, I owe you an Antique Bronze Dye.

Anything in the first tab is first-come, first-serve. Have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom