• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesu

I'm going to buy this because it's on sale but I have slight dilemma.

I get junk emails once a week telling me my Guild Wars 2 account is about to be closed.
It's a phishing scam I know because I don't actually have a Guild Wars 2 account.
Trion Worlds was hacked in the past I think and that's how they got my email address
(I did sign up for Defiance)

When I do sign up, should I use a different email address?

Retro

Yes, and preferably one with two-step authentication. ArenaNet has been really good about getting hackers and such (forced password resets a few months after launch, e-mail authentication for new IPs, that sort of thing) but it's still a danger unless you protect yourself as much as possible.

Some folks even have an e-mail address specifically for their GW2 login, since a lot of e-mails have been compromised by other game developer leaks, just like yours.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
But then let me let you taste my olive branch as I extend it to you, my dear Kanik (okay that came out, creepppppyyyyyy)

- But would you actually want a Monk?

Or would you just want the Monk Armor? Because doesn't Guardian Staff, Guardian Shield/Scepter/Focus, have the essence of the Monk experience? Perhaps outside of 55hp Monk, but we know this is impossible. This can never happen in GW2.

I think. I think what we actually want is this:

It's the armors we miss mate. That is the dream. Sandals! Eskimooian-Winter outfits (that thick leather), the body paint armor that glows (imagine the dye possibilities) , the tibetan/indian/chinese/burmese monk robe look!

They did have the best armor. But I think I might just miss the /dance.

Actually, if they brought back monk in its original form, the ramifications would be hilarious. Basically reintroducing healers into the mix as a lure for people who are confused when playing RPGs that don't have a traditional healer class.

I would prefer they came back as fist fighting badasses with attack animations that looked like a dance.

I'm going to buy this because it's on sale but I have slight dilemma.

I get junk emails once a week telling me my Guild Wars 2 account is about to be closed.
It's a phishing scam I know because I don't actually have a Guild Wars 2 account.
Trion Worlds was hacked in the past I think and that's how they got my email address
(I did sign up for Defiance)

I get those emails daily haha

Two step verification works great. I've gotten at least one email about someone trying to log into my account from China.

Maid

Banned
I'm interested in the game by hearing sale incoming, and I've been wondering should I jump on this one, since there 2 things still bug me:

- Does the game have enough PvE content to justify the purchase? I always heard it's mainly a PvP game.
- What if I don't want to buy the expansion pack when it come out? Will I unable to play my game if I choose not to upgrade?

Anno

I'm interested in the game by hearing sale incoming, and I've been wondering should I jump on this one, since there 2 things still bug me:

- Does the game have enough PvE content to justify the purchase? I always heard it's mainly a PvP game.
- What if I don't want to buy the expansion pack when it come out? Will I unable to play my game if I choose not to upgrade?

- Yeah there's a ton of PvE content, and it's been the main focus of updates so far. There are dungeons, lots of large open world zones to explore, instanced story content. Many people in GAF don't play either of the PvP modes much at all.
- I mean there's no way to know for sure but I think everyone would be shocked if it was some kind of required upgrade. I don't think MMOs ever do that. Worst case is maybe there are some zones or classes or whatever that you can't access. On the other hand ANet has been good about giving everything it can away for free.

Hey mate, there is plenty of game content to justify the purchase.

Add to that, it is really fun. It's one of the best fantasy worlds to explore and do stuff in.

You will not be forced to buy the expansion! I feel certain they wouldn't do that. They didn't do that in GW1 either, because they said, people should buy the expansion because they want to, not because you have to!

Maid

Banned
- Yeah there's a ton of PvE content, and it's been the main focus of updates so far. There are dungeons, lots of large open world zones to explore, instanced story content. Many people in GAF don't play either of the PvP modes much at all.
- I mean there's no way to know for sure but I think everyone would be shocked if it was some kind of required upgrade. I don't think MMOs ever do that. Worst case is maybe there are some zones or classes or whatever that you can't access. On the other hand ANet has been good about giving everything it can away for free.

Hey mate, there is plenty of game content to justify the purchase.

Add to that, it is really fun. It's one of the best fantasy worlds to explore and do stuff in.

You will not be forced to buy the expansion! I feel certain they wouldn't do that. They didn't do that in GW1 either, because they said, people should buy the expansion because they want to, not because you have to!

Thank. That's great to hear. Guess I'll jump on the train, too.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Even if you treated it as a single player game, you'd probably get 40+ hours out of it. There's certainly more love for the pve side of things.

Mxrz

Can't sleep for all this hype, woo.

I have 5500'ish hours. There is still a lot of PvE stuff I've not done yet. That's an extreme take, obviously. But if you did the 'rush to 80, derp end game, wat thing,' you'd still probably get $9.99 worth.

I imagine GW2 will be like GW1. Someone who paid $50 in 2005, can still log in and play GW: Proph without any problems ten years later.

hythloday

In game. Special Announcement: Prepare for a special announcement that will permantely alter the future of Tyria just popped up.

WHAAAAAT.

3F9jq0w.gif

I'm so excited!

nataku

Can't wait for the trolls to shit up the thread Retro made after the announcement doesn't do something crazy implement the trinity.

PvE gets the majority of the focus, I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly if someone came up to me and tried to argue this was a PvP game I'd probably just laugh.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yo

I'm excited.

I really need to put together a group that can assist me through the rest of the dungeons, personal story, and Season 2 that I haven't played yet. Really want to get caught up on this game.

Taffer

Yo

I'm excited.

I really need to put together a group that can assist me through the rest of the dungeons, personal story, and Season 2 that I haven't played yet. Really want to get caught up on this game.

I remember doing some PS missions with you (and Varix as well) in Orr, you must be within sight of the end. If I'm on I'll absolutely help out.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I remember doing some PS missions with you (and Varix as well) in Orr, you must be within sight of the end. If I'm on I'll absolutely help out.

Yeah, I'm very close to the end. I play on an erratic schedule due to spending big chunks of the year traveling back and forth between states, but I'm finally in a permanent home for the first time in four years so I feel about ready to dig into an MMO.

Taffer

This is probably the most GW2 music I've heard since shortly after launch. It managed to sneak up on me while I was in another tab. I don't dislike the music, just the way it works in-game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so this is finally a expansion announcement?

I only played for the first month or so, I really liked it but as usual, fell off :/

edit: so my password doesnt work aparently, tried to recover it but its asking for my serial number... which I dont have lol. guess im fucked

(I deleted the purchase email long ago, i never keep those)

Retro

so this is finally a expansion announcement?

I only played for the first month or so, I really liked it but as usual, fell off :/

edit: so my password doesnt work aparently, tried to recover it but its asking for my serial number... which I dont have lol. guess im fucked

(I deleted the purchase email long ago, i never keep those)

Contact support. They did a mandatory password reset in February 2013 because people were using the same passwords they had used in other games and it was leading to a lot of hacked accounts.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Contact support. They did a mandatory password reset in February 2013 because people were using the same passwords they had used in other games and it was leading to a lot of hacked accounts.

actually my GW2 is on another email than i thought, crysis averted. gonna download it to play around a bt, I bet its very different these days

Rhaknar

real talk. is GW2 even impenetrable by new/returning players or is it like every other mmo that says it is...but it really isnt >_>

Retro

real talk. is GW2 even impenetrable by new/returning players or is it like every other mmo that says it is...but it really isnt >_>

Yeah, you can totally start any time. There's no gear progression (and they just announced there won't be one in the expansion, nor will there be a level cap increase), down-leveling means you can play in any zone and be rewarded at your level while still experiencing content the way it was meant to be experienced.

I woke up a half hour late, lol. At least I get to see Colin talk.

You didn't miss much, honestly. Lots of warming up.

Rhaknar

well still have my 80 asura engineer so I guess I wasnt hacked >_>

and a bunch of chars in their teens

Awesome news, but disappointing presentation (no in-game vids for new features; all art) compared to something like Blizzard announcing an expac.

Still fully hype. GW2 really needed this.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
beta confirmed

We'll be revealing more details as we grow closer to the beta events and launch of Heart of Thorns. Visit guildwars2.com for updates, or subscribe to our newsletter to have the latest news delivered straight to your inbox.

Thorgal

Prices of precursors are already dropping .

Dusk went from 1288 to 1000g during the presentation lol

Also this has to be put into the next ot :

"I'm having a great time but it's now time to kill another person"

-Colin Johanson

Edit : nevermind it got back to 1300g

Mxrz

New Sylvari heavy will be a hoot.

Liked everything, but not terribly crazy about mastery stuff affecting combat. PvE skills broke GW1's pve to hell. Dangerous
ground.

* I didn't hear him say 3 maps, but 3 regions. I assumed multiple maps of each. Hrm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom