• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they give a lot of interviews where they can share a bit more info, ie what is happening from now till the release? Just Dragon Bash and skill balance?

spiritfox

I'm a bit unimpressed, to be honest. There is barely anything shown, just lots of talking and suggestions. I was hoping for maybe some gameplay even.

Wanderer5

Man that was good, through would have been nice to get a general idea of its release.:p New areas looks amazing, and I really interested in the Revenant class. I think when this comes out I probably want to focus on engi (hammer engi with flying turrets?!), guard, and this new class first.

Also Guild Halls, finally! Not much depth on WvW at the moment, and not really sure about EotM 2.0.

nataku

I'm a bit unimpressed, to be honest. There is barely anything shown, just lots of talking and suggestions. I was hoping for maybe some gameplay even.

I'm unimpressed with the presentation, but the content is about what I expected. Though I am worried that some things (gliding) will be limited to expansion zones and that the old zones, in general, will feel dated compared to the new stuff.

They need to work on their presentation skills a lot. A lot of what was announced would leave a lot more impact if they had video examples or what they were talking about, when they talked about it. Their presentation of the taco revamp was great because we could actually see what they were talking about when they and the crowd played it.

With the way they made their presentation, they brought it upon themselves.

The whole thing was a massive tease.

They didn't show enough to really impress.
They announced enough new stuff, but they should've known the presentation needed more than concept art for each new features.

Lunar15

Yeah, considering we just finished the story, coming out with a bunch of concept art felt really, really awkward.

The stuff they announced sounds cool, but it was so conceptually vague that it felt too far away for me to get super interested yet.

Even weirder was the fact that a lot of the concept art was actually old concept art from earlier GW2 days, and even some GW1 stuff. Most of it was unrelated to anything they were talking about.

Anywho, the trailer was cool, and the area designs are outrageously awesome in typical Anet fashion. It wasn't a total bummer.

5il3nc3r

Very disappointing presentation. They repeated that one trailer over and over. The features itself sounds good though. Shame the whole expansion is going to be in a jungle, i expected more.

Grudy

With the way they made their presentation, they brought it upon themselves.

The whole thing was a massive tease.

They didn't show enough to really impress.

Yeah I kinda agree. 80% of the time they had the camera on Colin or Mike just standing there. They could have used a power point or shown some videos of flying through the jungle (but not for long, I don't want them spoiling anything :p).

I was hoping they would show the new world map and how it looks like with the magumma area.

Really want more information.

I hope we get more info before next PAX. (next one is in Boston, in march)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Called it:

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/105801626-Guild-Wars-2-Heart-of-Thorns-FAQ

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.

Q: Will this expansion only be available digitally, or will there be a boxed edition as well?
A: Both. Once Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is available, you’ll be able to buy it digitally or get boxed editions at retail stores.

https://help.guildwars2.com/home
Some more info.

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns FAQ
GM Awesomeness Jan 21 • Purchase Support: Payment Methods, Upgrades, and Products / Buying and Upgrading the Game

Q: When will Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns launch?
A: We’ll announce the official launch date when we can. Check back at http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com for the latest updates.

Q: Will you be offering an early-access beta?
A: Yes, although we do not have details to release at the present time. Please keep checking http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com for more information as it becomes available.

Q: Is the expansion “buy to play”?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is a paid expansion to Guild Wars 2, but once you buy it, there are no subscription fees. This means that you can continue playing and access future updates for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns with no subscription fee.

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.

Q: What is the expansion bringing to the base game?
A: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansive new MMO experience introducing unique features such as our re-envisioned character progression system. You can visit our website at http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com for a full rundown of features, and be sure to check back regularly as we will continually reveal new details.

Q: How much will the expansion cost?
A: We have not announced pricing yet.

Q: Will this expansion only be available digitally, or will there be a boxed edition as well?
A: Both. Once Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is available, you’ll be able to buy it digitally or get boxed editions at retail stores.

Q: Will there be a collector’s edition for this expansion?
A: At this time, we do not have information available about specific versions. Rest assured that well before launch, we will reveal all the versions of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns that will be available both digitally and physically.

Q: When is the next big feature reveal for what’s coming in this expansion?
A: We wanted to reveal Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns when we were ready to talk about every major feature we’re planning. That’s why right now, every major feature planned for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is there for you to check out at http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com. That said, there are so many details left to uncover and share with you, to show you, and to eventually let you play as we take you on the journey from now through launch.

Bolded part seems very weird. Thought they would do something totally different from traditional idea of the way an expansion is sold.

nataku

Got my second account. Am I allowed to have it in the guild or do you want that spot for another player?

I'd imagine second accounts would be on hold for invites to keep room open for new or returning players. Especially since they just did a culling to make more room.

But I'm not an officer. :p

5il3nc3r

It saddens me to see people think so narrowly when it comes to what HoT is going to be. All I see people talking about are things that other developers have already done for their MMO expansions. Yes, there's going to be new zones, new weapon types, new enemies, new skins, along with things from the CDI topics, and such. None of those things are groundbreaking, they're pretty much expected to come out of this. What people aren't thinking about is how ANet works. GW2 was their answer to the stagnant MMO formula. Their update cycle right out the gate was faster than the rest of the genre, you had updates every month, then they introduced the Living World which is a completely unprecedented content delivery system and TV show story telling format. Those then ran every 2 weeks.

So now we come to HoT, which is their answer to the MMO expansion. So I ask you, what makes you think ANet is just going to release a typical checklist MMO expansion and call it a day? ANet was founded and is driven entirely on innovation. All of the stuff the community wants is merely a sidedish compared to the main course. That main course being "how an MMO can grow its universe and that the Living World was just the beginning". This is what you need to be thinking about, they're going to introduce either an evolution of the LW concept or something new entirely. This is what will take up the meat of the presentation because it's something that will need a lot of time to explain. Now, I cannot even begin to speculate on just what this main course is because it's going to be something no one has ever seen before, BUT when we do see it, we're going to say holy shit, why hasn't anyone thought of that before? Remember reading the old blog posts back in the day and thinking why did it take so long for someone to do this? That feeling is going to be back tomorrow, mark my words. I will bet my GAF account on it.
Sorry dude, i did say i was going to quote your post. As i said there is nothing wrong with traditional expansion.

I don't remember anything implying they would do anything different from the way expansions would be sold.

No you are right, just a lot of us speculated they might give it away for free and it would not require new people to own the original game because they would get it buy buying GW2:HoT.

It is fine, more guild wars is what I want, and that is what I am getting.

This guy doing the interview knows nothing about Guild Wars 2.

No you are right, just a lot of us speculated they might give it away for free and it would not require new people to own the original game because they would get it buy buying GW2:HoT.

It is fine, more guild wars is what I want, and that is what I am getting.

This guy doing the interview knows nothing about Guild Wars 2.

I mean Ncsoft would be stupid to get it out for free, especially since a lot of player place more value on bought items than free items.

I mean what you said sound nothing more than bundling guild wars 2 and the expansion into a more reasonably price box, which technically could be done a a later point.

Not related to the expansion at all, but this is what my WvW experience has looked like for the last *six weeks* now:

jVNkbBu.jpg
XmyHzfh.jpg

(I'm Isle of Janthir, blue team.) This matchmaking is garbage.

Mxrz

"Everyone stats at level 1, equal ground"

Unless something is different, my Revenant will be level 80/ascended moments after loading.

Not related to the expansion at all, but this is what my WvW experience has looked like for the last *six weeks* now:

This matchmaking is garbage.

Damn your server must not have people, because TC face rolls Dragonband, we once held there keep in EBG for 4 days straight, fully pimped out, we made them quit..

Edit:Decided to check out the rankings, your server is t3 but you not on the same level as DB..plus DB is still in the gold league by the rankings..even the shit tier gold league server will walk over a silver league server..

GW2:HoT playable at PAX EAST, just announced. (6 weeks from now)

I think a lot of GAFGuild regulars all agreed that they would never splinter the players between expansion owners and base game owners only but it looks like they are doing just that.

Damn your server must not have people, because TC face rolls Dragonband, we once held there keep in EBG for 4 days straight, fully pimped out, we made them quit..

It's not just Dragonbrand, it's whatever server was Tier 2 the week before. Before them it was SoS, and then Fort Aspenwood, and then Yak's Bend... I think our server is just so demoralized at this point that nobody bothers even trying anymore. Unfortunate for me, because I need map completion :p All I need are the green borderlands and *one* vista in the EB green keep... but it seems like whichever server gets knocked down gets green side, so we've just been swapping between red and blue for the last billion years.

Also FUCK YES PAX East. I already have 3 day passes. If anyone else is going we should hang out. :D

I'll say this here, because they won't get it in the other thread.

As weird as this sounds, I think my favorite moment of this entire thing is Mike O'Brien going on stage and sticking to their guns. No more levels, no more tiers of gear. They stuck to their guns. They naysayers, the doomsday sayers "Ascended is just the beginning. its over. This is now WoW".
It is so incredible that they have stuck their guns in all these years. It's not only all the MMORPG conditioning, but also the RPG conditioning. This is exactly the opposite of how games like Diablo and Divinity does it.
It takes massive balls to stick with it. And it seems so hard to communicate. I just appreciate it, because that is why I started following the first game in 2003-2004, before even that came out.

It's one of the core things that separate it. I also really liked how they emphasized friendly community. I am glad that they realize that this is an important reason why a lot of are here. I feel they where on the ball. That they are on the ball.

This is so much more important to me than getting Cantha or Quaggans or anything like that.

But what I want to know is this; If I don't want my Ranger to be a Druid, will there be anything else? Because if you change your Ranger into a Druid, the idea of the medium ranged pet Archer goes out the window. Will there be something else? Something else, for you to remain a Ranger?

It's not just Dragonbrand, it's whatever server was Tier 2 the week before. Before them it was SoS, and then Fort Aspenwood, and then Yak's Bend... I think our server is just so demoralized at this point that nobody bothers even trying anymore.

Also FUCK YES PAX East. I already have 3 day passes. If anyone else is going we should hang out. :D

I know what you saying the match ups are trash, TC has faced JQ/BG for like 3 months straight, Anet is doing a poor job at looking at the numbers of each server and seeing if this server can handle this server, it's been like this from day one, too many horrible match ups instead of carefully studying each week to week match up, they just let the system handle it and you get face roll for 6 weeks straight while they fucking ignore you...

"Everyone stats at level 1, equal ground"

Unless something is different, my Revenant will be level 80/ascended moments after loading.

Well not really, some of us have instant level 20 scrolls. Others have lots of tomes in their storage. If the expac comes out after queen's gauntlet people will have more tomes.

so i just bought the game and tried changing the email address of my old guild wars 1 account and now i can't seem to verify/authenticate the change. could this be because of increased server use right now?

Retro

I think a lot of GAFGuild regulars all agreed that they would never splinter the players between expansion owners and base game owners only but it looks like they are doing just that.

We don't know how things will be handled. Seems like Specialization and Revenants will be Expansion-only content, but that doesn't splinter the player base. The new WvW map is going to be free, I imagine, though I'm not sure if the Stronghold gametype will be. Guild Halls will probably be free, but actually building them might be tied to the expansion.

So, if the new regions and mastery system aren't expansion-only, then there's nothing to split the community at all.

Achtius

What's the easiest way to level up a character? I want to make either my mesmer or elementalist 80.
and are Revenant ritualist?

Cathcart

We don't know how things will be handled. Seems like Specialization and Revenants will be Expansion-only content, but that doesn't splinter the player base. The new WvW map is going to be free, I imagine, though I'm not sure if the Stronghold gametype will be. Guild Halls will probably be free, but actually building them might be tied to the expansion.

So, if the new regions and mastery system aren't expansion-only, then there's nothing to split the community at all.

Hard to imagine you'd be able to visit the new regions without owning the expansion.

Mxrz

The rating system can't do much about the severe population/coverage gaps between servers. People bandwagon around, imbalances happen. Short of ditching servers for the eotm system, not sure what they could do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom