• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Is there a video that details the different spells for weapons? I'm a mesmer using sceptre and sword now, but want to know other options. So far, I know I don't like the staff stuff.

You could go buy one of every weapon for your class on a random vendor for very cheap so you can check them out in game.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You could go buy one of every weapon for your class on a random vendor for very cheap so you can check them out in game.

This is the #1 thing I do on each new character. Then I use each weapon while leveling until all the skills are unlocked.

So, seconded on Jira's recommendation.

Shiokazu

jesus this expansion is going to fry some brains, im telling you.

btw, does anyone knows of a official Fear Not This Night piano version? i remember there was one on soundcloud but i cant find it, no matter how hard i try to mine it

Good to be home!

Was at PAX South this weekend, and was in attendance for both the HoT panel and the Areananet community party! A good time was head by all.

Together me (Kerthunk aka the 'Gravia' Characters) and fellow Gaf guild member Aerovane walked away with some nice swag over all. I got a sweet shirt for myself, one for my wife, a GW2: HoT lanyard, the 'HOT' panel announcement flyer autographed by most of the developers in attendance, and one hella sweet 'The Shatterer; statue which I gifted to Aerovane after the fact to display in his sweet setup at home.

Hyped for the expansion, and can't wait to roll the new class.

Emitan

I have the coolest bag ever

4BwaFn9.jpg

edit: they had lanyards?!

Emitan

Yes, if you went to the community party and asked for one =)

Turns out they had a ton of spares. Also, that pin was hype, love when companies give those out.

Ah. Couldn't stay for that. We were exhausted :(

Anet please have your event in a city between me and UltimateIke, thank you.

Ah. Couldn't stay for that. We were exhausted :(

Irony was Aerovane left early after the first raffle, leaving me his ticket. It won the statue in the second raffle.

It was a fun get together. One free drink and some free food is always a nice way to end an evening. Well, until we went back to the hotel and played the hell out of some Diablo 3 on ps4 till like 1:00am.

As a newbie, I wish the game was a bit more clear in what sort of items had permanent use consequences. For example, I used some dyes to re-color my armor. But now if I want to do it again I need transformation credits? Would have been useful to know.

Likewise, things like armor and weapon"skins"; are those use-once-and-they're-burned-up? Or use-once-and-they-become-tied-to-the-char? Or to the account?

Enjoying the mesmer so far, but man I feel squishy. I think I need to find the right weapon combo.

Retro

As a newbie, I wish the game was a bit more clear in what sort of items had permanent use consequences. For example, I used some dyes to re-color my armor. But now if I want to do it again I need transformation credits? Would have been useful to know.

Likewise, things like armor and weapon"skins"; are those use-once-and-they're-burned-up? Or use-once-and-they-become-tied-to-the-char? Or to the account?

Enjoying the mesmer so far, but man I feel squishy. I think I need to find the right weapon combo.

1. Dyes are account wide unlocks and free to use; you can re-dye your armor as often as you want for free across all characters.

2. Weapon and armor skins are account-wide unlocks as well (they are added to the Wardrobe), but cost 1 "Transmutation Charge" per item. For what it's worth, most purchased skins are treated as an item that gives you one free application. You can buy Transmutation charges from the gem store or get them as a reward (usually zone completion: knock out the 5 racial capitols and lion's arch for a quick 6).

You add items to your wardrobe by equipping them (aka "Soulbinding") or salvaging them.

3. Try Greatsword. It has a nice combination of single target damage (#1 Auto attack), Clone generation (#2), Phantasm generation (#4), AOE damage (#2 bounces between enemies, #3 is an AOE) and control (#5 is a multi-target knockback).

Also, as an FYI, clones cause very little damage and have very small health pools while Phantasms can both dish out and take a lot of damage. Clones are easier to generate (and look just like you for PVP purposes) and tend to draw aggro while Phantasms look just the way they appear and do not. You can shatter both types with your F1-F4 skills which gives you a different effect (damage, confusion, daze, and distortion). Running into combat and summoning a little army of suicide bombers never ever ever gets old.

You can redye at will, you just can't re apply a new skin to an existing armor piece without paying.

The skins are one time use items, but once acquired, can be reapplied to any other character in your account for the cost of a charge.

spiritfox

Everytime you dye or transform something the resulting cost of transmutation charges show up on the right side of the window. Dyes are a one time account unlock, and you can dye at anytime without inccuring any charges once you unlocked it. Skins that are in your inventory are free to use, and they'll unlock the skin in the wardrobe, account-wide, for future use. However, transmuting a skin outside of the free one takes transmutation charges. Finally, there are outfits, which basically replaces all your armor with a themed outfit. It is free to apply after you buy it, unlocks account wide, and does not take any transmutation charges to use.

Edit: stop being so fast in helping people, geeze!

Mordeccai

Those 4K screens... mother of god. Is it playable framerate at 4K for you?

Just did my first hour of GW2 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. If I could get an invite to the GAF guild I would be very appreciative! My account name is JohnKimble.3810

Those 4K screens... mother of god. Is it playable framerate at 4K for you?

Just did my first hour of GW2 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. If I could get an invite to the GAF guild I would be very appreciative! My account name is JohnKimble.3810

4K holds up about as well the lower resolutions on my GTX 970. Lowering the resolution doesn't help improve many spots where I lose frames, so it's effects like the shaders/shadows hurting me (like in The Grove) or something CPU bound (like player count in WvW/World Boss zergs).

I play at 2880x1620 though because the UI doesn't scale, and it is too small to comfortably read at 4K.

I sent you a guild invite too!

Shengar

Tried to install the gamepad control from the OP and somehow having "Pointer Mode" control reversed with "Camera Mode" (pressing A in Camera Mode will open inventory instead of jumping). What went wrong here?

Hellers

Got back into the game this weekend. Bought a second account just because. So cheap it'd be rude not to. Leveled a few characters on that to 10+ and then moved back to my main account. In the past I'd leveled three characters to 80 and had all the other classes in various stages. I had planned to finish off my Necromancer (Currently 50) but a friend decided to play again and the closest character I had to his level was my thief. My thief is now 75 with 40 levels of personal story left so I suspect he'll be finished tonight :)

I struggle with my thief doing on-level content mind you. He's so squishy. Does anyone have any pve suggestions for how I should play him at 80?

Got back into the game this weekend. Bought a second account just because. So cheap it'd be rude not to. Leveled a few characters on that to 10+ and then moved back to my main account. In the past I'd leveled three characters to 80 and had all the other classes in various stages. I had planned to finish off my Necromancer (Currently 50) but a friend decided to play again and the closest character I had to his level was my thief. My thief is now 75 with 40 levels of personal story left so I suspect he'll be finished tonight :)

I struggle with my thief doing on-level content mind you. He's so squishy. Does anyone have any pve suggestions for how I should play him at 80?
The trick with thief is you have to rely on a mix of dodge, blind, and stealth to keep you alive.
Dagger/Pistol provides a great mix of this combining smoke fields (skill 5) with leaps (skill 2). The smoke provides cover in melee by giving a pulsing blind, but you can also initiate stealth by using skill 2 to leap through the smoke if you need to hide for a few seconds.
Shortbow is another great survival weapon. 3 is a strait up dodge and cripples the target, so it's nice to GTFO melee. You can also AoE weaken enemies by dropping a poison field (skill 4) and blasting it (skill 2).

Aside from weapons, you also have some nice utilities to keep you going. The biggest one is smoke screen. Not only is it a larger version of pistol 5, it blocks ranged attacks. Basically makes you invulnerable for a few seconds as long as you stand in it. Shadow refuge is, as always, your bug out option.

jesus this expansion is going to fry some brains, im telling you.

btw, does anyone knows of a official Fear Not This Night piano version? i remember there was one on soundcloud but i cant find it, no matter how hard i try to mine it

Quoting so I can find this later. I know there is one, it's in my liked tracks, I'll get it for ya when I'm not on mobile.

EDIT: Is this what you're looking for? https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/guild-wars-2-fear-not-this

I should never have pointed it out on Reddit. I hope NCSoft won't be too mad at me :p

It has always been a thing however. They always upload the trailers and screens on that site. So bookmark it if you want assets of future updates ;)
You work as a game journalist?

Zakalwe

Banned
Question: I have the profane armour set and items sitting in my inventory at the moment.

I also have a Profane armour skin.

The set itself is under my level now, when I go to destroy it though it asks me to confirm so I feel like I may be missing something.

Should I destroy the armour set then just use the unlocked skin to transmute to better gear when I find it?

Thanks.

Spyware

Should I destroy the armour set then just use the unlocked skin to transmute to better gear when I find it?

Thanks.
Yeah the armor version is for a level 1 character and completely fine to destroy if you don't need it. The skin version is a free transmute as long as you save it :)

Zeroth

Just started this game, it's so fun! Can I get a GAF invite? northsauce.9230

Sent ya an invite, but just to be sure, can you confirm to me that's your account name? You can also give a character name.

If you did get the invite, hit "G", then click on "Accept" and "Represent".

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Wishful thinking:

• Mesmer with shield mitigates main source of damage away from Phantasms (setting up a phantasm wastes so much time that by the time DPS is on par with other classes, the enemy is dead)
  • Revenant is high DPS and has fun times magical variety as opposed to low DPS guardian or pewpew boring Warrior.

I think I just want a spike damage Mesmer.

Why don't they randomize the world boss timers? It feels really unnatural the ways it's done now.

It does feel like a job. Times were different per server before, and people would just be frustrated because they relied on community members, who were camping on the map, to tell them. Then 3rd party sites had timers so everyone was using those. Also it was possible to just not have enough bodies present to take down the boss. In a sense, while the bosses are unnatural now the alternative was worse.

Zeroth

Why don't they randomize the world boss timers? It feels really unnatural the ways it's done now.

They used to be somewhat random when they were server based, but the way it is set now allows people to do a boss train so they get the content done in a scheduled matter.

WGMBY

Ok, I'm hopping back in to check out the new content. Anything I should def check out? I haven't really played since I hit the level cap the first time (partway through the first season)

Just want to post thanks to Retro and everyone else for helping this newbie out yesterday! Cannot wait to play some more with you guys. The game gets some getting used to but it is damn fun.

Looking forward to doing some WvW with all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom