• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5il3nc3r

Now that we have megaservers shouldn't the problem of not having enough people to down the world bosses be solved ? Due to the set schedule and the megaservers, way too many people take part in the world bosses nowadays. Most of my participation in them amounts to just mashing the 1 key (since I can't see anything) until the big treasure chest drops.

Besides that the fixed schedule really takes me out if the game, I can't help but imagine the Shatterer checking his shattered watch to make sure he messes up blazeridge on time. Speaking of Shatterer that guy really needs a massive overhaul. Such an awesome looking dragon but most groups melts him within seconds.

Yeah, that's what I should do, already have all the materials, so can resell later.

Make sure you do a buy order, not instantly buy - you can save quite a bit of money that way. Looks like it's an 80s spread right now. You'll have to wait a bit for your order to get fulfilled but for almost 1g a pop it's probably worth it.

Zeroth

Ok, I'm hopping back in to check out the new content. Anything I should def check out? I haven't really played since I hit the level cap the first time (partway through the first season)

There's a lot of stuff. I recommend starting with the Silverwastes and Dry Top, the newest maps.

nataku

The forum seems to have died, could you copy the post here?

I can't get the forum to load either, but this is from reddit:

Hey folks, Now that the HOT is out of the bag, we’re able to update this thread with more details. With the introduction of the new account based mastery system for end-game progression and growth in PvE, we’ll also be re-evaluating our other systems of character progression to ensure they match our over-all pillars and goals for Gw2. In doing so: we’re going to be removing the current trait unlocking system currently on live and replacing it with a more simplified system that supports where skills-traits-specializations are going in the future. We’ll go into more details between now and the release of HOT on how skills, traits, and specializations will work in the new Gw2 world. Thank you for all your passionate feedback on this topic – it not only helped our dev team lead to this decision, but has played a large role in helping us define how to build our exciting new account based mastery system for end-game progression in PvE as well.

Jira

Awesome, sounds good. Can't wait for the first new blog post to go up, don't really care what it is, I just want to read more.

Jira

http://www.shacknews.com/article/87...eart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

Each of the professions will be getting one of these Specializations and this also is a framework that we'll use to grow the professions in the future. This will be the way we add more skills, traits, and abilities to the game moving forward. That's how we're growing our existing professions.

The Revenant effectively is a heavy armor profession that can channel the power of the mists. What that means is that you can channel the power of great legends from Guild Wars history to define the skills that they have available to them. So you can channel the great Dwarf king, King Jalis Ironhammer, and it makes your character much of a front line, tank-y character with abilities to help him survive fighting face-to-face with your enemies. Or you can channel the demon Malik and get the abilities to control the conditions in combat and become much stronger in DPS, supporting your party by removing conditions from them to protect them. Those are the examples of the types of things that a Revenant can do when channeling a legend and each legend that's going to be available to a Revenant really defines a different play style that's available for that profession. I think the Revenant is going to be one of the most diverse professions that we've ever made in Guild Wars history and it'll allow for a lot of different, fun, and unique play styles as you master each of the legends.

Shacknews: You've added a new profession, however you did hold off on adding a new race. What led to this decision?

Johanson: For this one, we looked at what we would get out of adding a new race and what benefit it actually brings to the players from a gameplay standpoint. It's very limited in Guild Wars 2. A new race adds a racial skill or two and a little bit of story, but it doesn't give that much meaningful gameplay in the grand scheme of things. The race is more context for the early story that you experience. So we wanted to focus things that would provide a lot more gameplay and address parts of Guild Wars 2 that we felt like we really wanted to be able to make a better experience and grow. So right now, we didn't feel that a new race was a key need for the game, whereas the other things that we're adding really provide fundamental building blocks for the future.

What I can say, from a philosophical standpoint, is that we want to put the "Guild" back in Guild Wars. We feel like that's an area of the game that we can really grow the experience for our Guilds and your Guild Hall will be a base for us to do that.

It's a place where we'll add Guild progression, the ability to grow your Guild out, grow out your Guild Hall, progress your Guild as a community, and a place for you to gather and host events. You can launch missions for you and your Guild to do together or you can organize to jump into World v. World together. It's a place for you to form your teams before you compete on our new ladders and PvP with your Guild members or go into the jungle to face all of these brand new challenges that we've built. These Guild Halls will become something that we're regularly updating going forward after the expansion releases, as well, and will become a core pillar of the Guild Wars experience.

Moondrop

Banned
So I've returned to playing WvW with my T1 guild. Our illustrious leader requested everyone run team builds, whereas I've been secretly running as a cleric warrior all along. I decided to be a team player despite my love of clericity (full ascended), so I rolled and geared a necro. The early returns were fun but it's not the role I want to be playing in WvW; I'm meant to crack skulls on the frontline. Therefore I am giving up cleric gear in WvW for the foreseeable future. The best part is I now have a whole new, separate look for my main. This one is more fitting thematically to WvW; pics to follow when I obtain the last superficial component.

I played a ton of PvP this weekend to complete my new set. I switched my axebow from valkyrie to zerker with a tangible bump in results. The adrenaline nerf really compromised my old build, but with zerker I have the consistent pressure to dice up bearbows. Then I took it a step further toward offense, moving from 20606 to 60206 and taking the grandmaster for burst skills always crit. This may prove to be too squishy to me, but holy hell does it feel as if eviscerate is something to be feared again.

Emitan

The Revenant effectively is a heavy armor profession that can channel the power of the mists. What that means is that you can channel the power of great legends from Guild Wars history to define the skills that they have available to them. So you can channel the great Dwarf king, King Jalis Ironhammer, and it makes your character much of a front line, tank-y character with abilities to help him survive fighting face-to-face with your enemies. Or you can channel the demon Malik and get the abilities to control the conditions in combat and become much stronger in DPS, supporting your party by removing conditions from them to protect them. Those are the examples of the types of things that a Revenant can do when channeling a legend and each legend that's going to be available to a Revenant really defines a different play style that's available for that profession. I think the Revenant is going to be one of the most diverse professions that we've ever made in Guild Wars history and it'll allow for a lot of different, fun, and unique play styles as you master each of the legends.

teKVDUT.jpg

phinious

Sent ya an invite, but just to be sure, can you confirm to me that's your account name? You can also give a character name.

If you did get the invite, hit "G", then click on "Accept" and "Represent".

I got the invite! Thanks! Can't wait until work is done

Phazon

You work as a game journalist?

I wouldn't call myself that (I usually call myself an Editor), but I write a lot of gaming news for a big Belgium game site and do a lot of reviews. Usually Nintendo, but I also have some nice contacts at NCSoft because I like their stuff like GW2 and Wildstar :)

Levyne

Banned
I just got around to watching these and holy screen shake dude. I can't find myself in any of those except the Frost fight where I fell over right before he died :| All I can see is you and Zeroth, the big momma hen standing over his little chickens.

Yeah, I should turn that off.

Also I see you, you're the might stack above my utility bar and all the fire everywhere.

Also also this extension will make webms look like gifs in chrome. There's a Firefox one too but made by someone else.

Grudy

From the way Colin describes the Jungle in the interview, it looks like there won't be any loading screens between the three biomes in each map. Very interesting.

Mxrz

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/page/78#post4733414

Current Trait Unlocking System...getting removed when HoT releases?

Hmm. Only have the one character under this system. Not sure if I'd rather wait unlock the rest of her traits, or do it now just to say I did it the hard way.

It goes without saying, but the game becomes a lot more fun with a group or friends and/or guildmates. Mine have been busy since the holidays, but we managed a fractal lastnight. Good times. I'd never want to force players to join guilds, but the game can be so much more than just a group of mostly silent pugs.

Makes sense. Hopefully more will come. I have a feeling Guardian is going to get something lame like Longbow. Blargh. Much rather have a a new offhand.

Jira

From the way Colin describes the Jungle in the interview, it looks like there won't be any loading screens between the three biomes in each map. Very interesting.

I'm actually working on something in photoshop right now that will help people better understand the general concept.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm confused on the specializations approach as described, doesn't it sound like everyone will use the single specialization for their class to gain access to the new weapon? rendering it not actually a specialization? Looking forward to more details anyway.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm confused on the specializations approach as described, doesn't it sound like everyone will use the single specialization for their class to gain access to the new weapon? rendering it not actually a specialization? Looking forward to more details anyway.
I did read it as that, but also that equipping that new weapon will (temporarily?) change other skills, such as your heal, utilities and elites, thereby specializing your role within your profession.

Mxrz

I was thinking there was a trade off. Like you'd give up something from the base class for the new stuff. But they haven't said much. If its just an addition, then calling it a specialization is a little silly. Until there's more choices at least.

Zeroth

I just got around to watching these and holy screen shake dude. I can't find myself in any of those except the Frost fight where I fell over right before he died :| All I can see is you and Zeroth, the big momma hen standing over his little chickens.

That's a nice Canadian analogy you got there

Jira

I was thinking there was a trade off. Like you'd give up something from the base class for the new stuff. But they haven't said much. If its just an addition, then calling it a specialization is a little silly. Until there's more choices at least.

You do give up base stuff. From what we know you will have access to new traits (unsure how many) and will lose access to others. The question is does this also apply to skills where some skills become unusuable (think underwater) and new skills take their place?

Barbarian

Hi all! I'm one of the folks who bought in at the sale price and just started playing. Can I get added to the clan?

Legal Barbarian.7089

Anno

Yeah one of the interviews definitely said specializing will limit you in other ways. I see it as something similar to the Job/Class dealie in FFXIV where you might be your base class when doing more general content for the flexibility and then switch over to Paladin or something when tanking hard content.

Seil

Was EotM always meant to be farm-ville? With the changes to Queensdale and the elimination of monthlies, I didn't think that Anet would be a fan of train.

Queensdale etc was more than just a matter of the farm. Imagine the new players coming in and seeing a big baddie, taking it out then getting chewed out by a mass of people because they screwed up their train.

While there have been changes that more or less directly affected farming, the champ trains did have a bit more to them than that. In EotM, it's kept out of the normal scheme of things and let's face it, most people going there know what to expect.

Moondrop

Banned
Was EotM always meant to be farm-ville? With the changes to Queensdale and the elimination of monthlies, I didn't think that Anet would be a fan of train.
It's easy to state that no, EotM was not intended to be an XP and karma farm, but player behavior is difficult to predict. The original goals were some mix of (1) an overflow map for when all WvW maps are full, (2) introducing newer players to WvW in a map with low stakes and more PvE elements, and (3) to play around with more varied topography.

That said it should've been predictable that the WvW hardcore crowd wouldn't take to it. If Anet really disapproved of the leveling rewards they would nerf it into paste, so there's some tacit acceptance. I however do not accept what the players have done to this beautiful map, and thus I wage a one-salad war to bring K-trainers to justice, one straggler at a time.

Ashodin

Yeah one of the interviews definitely said specializing will limit you in other ways. I see it as something similar to the Job/Class dealie in FFXIV where you might be your base class when doing more general content for the flexibility and then switch over to Paladin or something when tanking hard content.
Except in gw2, it'll be more about playstyle.

Goldrush

It's easy to state that no, EotM was not intended to be an XP and karma farm, but player behavior is difficult to predict. The original goals were some mix of (1) an overflow map for when all WvW maps are full, (2) introducing newer players to WvW in a map with low stakes and more PvE elements, and (3) to play around with more varied topography.

That said it should've been predictable that the WvW hardcore crowd wouldn't take to it. If Anet really disapproved of the leveling rewards they would nerf it into paste, so there's some tacit acceptance. I however do not accept what the players have done to this beautiful map, and thus I wage a one-salad war to bring K-trainers to justice, one straggler at a time.

Yesterday, there was actually a guild going around killing train in EOTM.

Minamu

If Arenanet are so interested in putting the "guild" part back in the game, how about getting rid of that silly US/EU barrier and let me at the very least party up with guild members or do guild missions without having to do a server transfer (which is stupidly expensive and thus discouraged greatly) :/ A revamp of the guest system would suffice even if it only means I can tag along as long as a party are 100% the same guild or something. Can't be that hard, my latency would remain the same so the current barriers are obviously artificial.

Arenanet has no reason to nerf it as of yet. But looking at all the hints given about changes to WvW, I like to think that some of them will be apply to EoTm.

Jira

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/9340/page/1

Now, I think the exciting thing, though, is that things are going to happen fast. We are six weeks away from PAX East, and we'll be there with a playable demo of Heart of Thorns. Shortly thereafter we'll be at Rezzed with a playable demo for Europe. I know everyone wants to know “when, when, when,” but I have to say, the fans were patient and waited until today, and things are going to start moving fast.

(Note: I later heard from another, unofficial, source that dev blogs would be starting up on the GW2 website soon, and be presented on a weekly basis.)

Weekly blog posts would be hot.

CJ: When you are a druid, you have the capacity to use powers that a ranger cannot use, but while you're a druid, you can still take advantage of the abilities that a ranger has available to it and use those to mix and match. There are some key fundamental differences [from GW secondary classes], but the concept is very similar.

Ashodin

Yeah I never played 14 so I'm not too sure how big the differences were. Either way I doubt that specs will just be flat out better in every circumstance, or at least I hope not.
Agreed. More likely, they'll switch up what specs do for a profession in general. Think the Revenant gameplay style but other classes do it in a more identity changing way.

in ffxiv once you get a job crystal, you usually just play as the job due to the skills you get as the job

hythloday

Hi all! I'm one of the folks who bought in at the sale price and just started playing. Can I get added to the clan?

Legal Barbarian.7089

Looks like someone invited you, welcome!

Occasionally, you get a great EotM commander who's willing to take on the opposing team. Kinda dull when groups of enemies encounter each other and they just peel away as if there's some sort of tacit agreement not to interfere with each other's karma farm. I saw that this weekend and thought WHAT where are you going, I have some death for you??!

Weekly blog posts would be hot.

I wish they'd done more "show" rather than all the "tell" at PAX (like it would have been great if they showcased a couple more new skill animations in the trailer) but Colin and Mike did a great job of stoking the hype fire for me. They dropped just enough info that now I have an all-consuming desire to know MORE. The sooner these blog posts start coming, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom