• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Think I'll wait to see if there's a full outfit or just the helm for that desert set.

I guess perhaps a 50% off + Season 2 thread wouldn't be a bad idea... I'll try to think about what would make sense to put in it.

Trailer + screenshots + sale + teaser screen of portal (probably right at the top), maybe throw in the Season One recap video?

Coolest/slickest looking Charr ever.
sDJASxk.jpg

BraXzy

Trailer + screenshots + sale + teaser screen of portal (probably right at the top), maybe throw in the Season One recap video?

This seems like a pretty good set of info to put. You can then update the OP on July 1st when the season starts and get a mod to update the title.. or just make another thread but then that might be a bit much idk.

Guild Wars 2: Living World Season 2 starts JULY 1st - 50% off SALE - no subscription!

Bit too long for a title but hey.

This seems like a pretty good set of info to put. You can then update the OP on July 1st when the season starts and get a mod to update the title.. or just make another thread but then that might be a bit much idk.

Guild Wars 2: Living World Season 2 starts JULY 1st - 50% off SALE - no subscription!

Bit too long for a title but hey.
Needs more in-joke
Guild Wars 2: Living Story Season 2 starts JULY 1st - 50% off SALE - No subs, just rubs.

Pity we can't include a video that explains the combat system succinctly and shows off how cool it is, since y'know, many people still think it's a tab target stand-there-and-pew-pew game. Need animated gifs of cool moves.

I once saw a video of someone speedrunning Obsidian Sanctum, that made the 'heroic movement' video from EQN look tame. Wonder if I can find it again.

Proven

Is this build for Warrior A/M Still viable Post patch ?
Also is it good ?

http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?fIA...AYLioRCSEJLCZJvioxW1KiGruGT5SEVbvLiWtQAmXAA-e

I don't know how it'd do in PvE, but it's not that great from a PvP/WvW perspective. I'd focus on either Axe or Rifle as your burst skill, and have your swap help prepare for that. The utilities are also more Killshot oriented, so I'd probably draw the Axe/Mace for Greatsword, swap the banner for a stance or On My Mark!, and pick Healing Signet because it's still too good. If you prefer the Axe/Mace then make all your utilities more defensive (you'll especially need Berserker's Stance), swap the Rifle for Longbow so you can use the #5 skill to help you land Eviscerate, and again pop in Healing Signet. In either case, you'll be weaving and dodging for most of your sustain, will be weak to conditions, and will need to know when to run and then when to sneak back up on your foes for a Killshot or Eviscerate. You never want to be focused.

Edit: I'm late, apparently. Should refresh to check for a new page.

BraXzy

Needs more in-joke
Guild Wars 2: Living Story Season 2 starts JULY 1st - 50% off SALE - No subs, just rubs.

Haha. That's pretty good, maybe it'd be better to get the message across in the Gaming side though :p Next OT title for sure!

Pity we can't include a video that explains the combat system succinctly and shows off how cool it is, since y'know, many people still think it's a tab target stand-there-and-pew-pew game. Need animated gifs of cool moves.

I once saw a video of someone speedrunning Obsidian Sanctum, that made the 'heroic movement' video from EQN look tame. Wonder if I can find it again.

That's a great idea.. the combat is pretty awesome in this game. 60 FPS WebM's where you at?

zj5W4Pk.jpg

Finally, in jail where he belongs... . bwahahahhaha

I hope you threw away the key! :p

Lunar15

BrEQaKRIcAAlnVM.jpg

desert gear incoming

Yes please. We need more scarves too, stuff that wraps around the neck. If sandstorms are what we face, it's gotta be loose fitting but completely covering.

I might just try the wasteland barbarian style Retro has going on there, but some capes, shawls, goggles, and robes would be real nice for heavies, if you know what I mean.

I love desert themes. The wastes aren't quite a desert, but they are barren and sandy. I'll take it.

I have to wonder though: Why does it appear that we'll be fighting Inquest agents? I bet they're either hunting for Glint's progeny or researching Mordremoth's recent power surge.

Moondrop

Banned
Warrior PvP thoughts
Proven, I would like your take on a PvP matter. I've been working on my warrior and I'm bouncing between three weapon sets: hambow, axe/bow, and my own concoction: an axe/sword+mace/shield reflect/might stacking/eviscerate build. Hambow is of course meta, but not as fun as eviscerating (and arguably not at full potential in Yoloq). Axe/bow is nearly meta and I'm liking it a lot so far, but it's difficult to optimize.

Then there's my test build. It has clear weaknesses (lack of AoE, DoT pressure; no buffs to defensive utilities like hambow) and doesn't seemingly hold up to 1v2 as I would like given the defense I've built in. Then again, this may be due to my inexperience with these utilities in sPvP. As for the strengths of the build, I offer this:

(Names removed to protect the defenseless.)

So which build do you think I should focus on as I develop my warrior in sPvP?

Retro

People don't want the facts!

They want long shiny titles that attract their attention :D

Guild Wars 2 - Welcome to the Jungle, we pay half for the game.
Guild Wars 2 - 50% OFF THIS WEEKEND ONLY, NO SUB, CONTENT BEGINS JULY 1ST!
Guild Wars 2 - LA BOMBA
Hehehe, get it?
Guild Wars 2 - Come see what the pretentious assholes in GAFGuild are still playing.
Guild Wars 2 - Time to start paying that Wildstar sub, huh? How about paying $24.99 once instead?
(Sorry, that last one is mean)

I love desert themes. The wastes aren't quite a desert, but they are barren and sandy. I'll take it.

I have to wonder though: Why does it appear that we'll be fighting Inquest agents? I bet they're either hunting for Glint's progeny or researching Mordremoth's recent power surge.

I am just dorky enough to want fur-lined armor and heavy cloaks when I wander into the Shiverpeaks and loose-fitting garb when I head into Maguuma. I dye my Ranger's armor based on what kind of environment I'm in. I'd absolutely love it if they had outfits that suited the environment released before each update. I'd pay good money for it too.

Also; the Inquest want dragon magic. Thanks to Scarlet, they know where there's a big fuckin' chunk of it, and all they have to do is follow the map she basically drew for them.

Thorgal

I don't know how it'd do in PvE, but it's not that great from a PvP/WvW perspective. I'd focus on either Axe or Rifle as your burst skill, and have your swap help prepare for that. The utilities are also more Killshot oriented, so I'd probably draw the Axe/Mace for Greatsword, swap the banner for a stance or On My Mark!, and pick Healing Signet because it's still too good. If you prefer the Axe/Mace then make all your utilities more defensive (you'll especially need Berserker's Stance), swap the Rifle for Longbow so you can use the #5 skill to help you land Eviscerate, and again pop in Healing Signet. In either case, you'll be weaving and dodging for most of your sustain, will be weak to conditions, and will need to know when to run and then when to sneak back up on your foes for a Killshot or Eviscerate. You never want to be focused.

Edit: I'm late, apparently. Should refresh to check for a new page.

The build is primarily designed for PVE .

BraXzy

Guild Wars 2 - Welcome to the Jungle, we pay half for the game.
Guild Wars 2 - 50% OFF THIS WEEKEND ONLY, NO SUB, CONTENT BEGINS JULY 1ST!
Guild Wars 2 - LA BOMBA
Hehehe, get it?
Guild Wars 2 - Come see what the pretentious leader of GAFGuild is still playing.
Guild Wars 2 - Time to start paying that Wildstar sub, huh? How about paying $24.99 once instead?
(Sorry, that last one is mean)

Haha all of them would be perfect. I fixed one of them though ;)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Guild Wars 2 - Come see what the pretentious assholes in GAFGuild are still playing.

One of these two please.

These are titles made from rich mahogany. They are written within leather bound books, and they ooze class.

Ashodin

Yeah I think I'll use this

8Cy6P15.png

Kinda burnt desert look.

YXWeVrG.png

Thinking about doing GS + Sword/Shield for the new stuff. Want to seem like it's really badlands, and need to be defensive a bit.

Retro

Yeah I think I'll use this

What's the chestpiece? Maybe look into the HotW chest, that has short sleeves and looks like it's made of leather.
Edit: Nevermind, it's Heritage, that's why I didn't recognize it.

Also, you better switch to sunglasses =p

CRUSH A MANS SKULL IN BETWEEN MY THIGHS

(I watched Wreck It Ralph yesterday)

Jesus, you're late to that party.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
What was Anet's reasoning for locking up the trait system behind quests/purchases?

Ashodin

What's the chestpiece? Maybe look into the HotW chest, that has short sleeves and looks like it's made of leather.
Edit: Nevermind, it's Heritage, that's why I didn't recognize it.

Also, you better switch to sunglasses =p

Jesus, you're late to that party.

yep I'm late to most movie parties. I need to buy sunglasses~!

BraXzy

I think a tutorial would have sufficed.

I agree. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. I get that they don't want players to get overloaded at the start, so the gradual earning of Trait points kinda makes sense but c'mon... if you want to try different builds out you've gotta spend cash and SP's or do a bunch of quests.

What was Anet's reasoning for locking up the trait system behind quests/purchases?

Progression. So many people complained that 'there's nothing to do in GW2 as you level, you just get everything, yadda'. So they added in some more progression systems, to mimic the skill capture system from GW1, likely.

Trey

Progression. So many people complained that 'there's nothing to do in GW2 as you level, you just get everything, yadda'. So they added in some more progression systems, to mimic the skill capture system from GW1, likely.

They really need to expand on this, because as is it feels like unnecessary limits. GW1 skill collecting was so cool.

BraXzy

Damn. I cleaned out some of my mats and sold on the TP, mainly stuff that people like Lump suggested with the whole festival still ongoing.. 120G has come in :D

Proven

Proven, I would like your take on a PvP matter. I've been working on my warrior and I'm bouncing between three weapon sets: hambow, axe/bow, and my own concoction: an axe/sword+mace/shield reflect/might stacking/eviscerate build. Hambow is of course meta, but not as fun as eviscerating (and arguably not at full potential in Yoloq). Axe/bow is nearly meta and I'm liking it a lot so far, but it's difficult to optimize.

Then there's my test build. It has clear weaknesses (lack of AoE, DoT pressure; no buffs to defensive utilities like hambow) and doesn't seemingly hold up to 1v2 as I would like given the defense I've built in. Then again, this may be due to my inexperience with these utilities in sPvP. As for the strengths of the build, I offer this:

(Names removed to protect the defenseless.)

So which build do you think I should focus on as I develop my warrior in sPvP?

It's not a bad build, but it feels a bit gimmicky. It's reminiscent of the Skullcrack->Hundred Blades, except it's the burst skill used second. It's also similar to a build that was used in 2v2s. It's a great dueling/small skirmish build. I think you should run with it and tweak it as you see fit. It's very close to a previous meta build, and there's still Healing Signet, so as long as you can hit your stun->Eviscerate combo at least once you'll probably take the reigns of the fight if not outright win it. Hell, just count dodges and Eviscerate and you'll probably do well against most players. If you're having a hard time with 1v2's now, you'll have to focus harder on taking a player out early or running away until better skill is achieved.

I know this game is on sale right now but I bought it earlier this week because I saw it on sale for half off at a local store. Anyway, I've always thought the Mesmer was the most interesting class so I made one and am having a lot of fun but I've noticed I'm really squishy and don't put out a whole lot of damage. I read up on them and of course they are one of the hardest classes to level up, haha. Oh well.

One question: I've noticed in the starting areas that I sometimes see players of other races there. How do they get there? They are really low leveled, too.

spiritfox

Players are downlvled to match a zone, so even if they are 80, they'll become 3 or 4 in the starting areas. Also, welcome and join the gaf guild!

BraXzy

I know this game is on sale right now but I bought it earlier this week because I saw it on sale for half off at a local store. Anyway, I've always thought the Mesmer was the most interesting class so I made one and am having a lot of fun but I've noticed I'm really squishy and don't put out a whole lot of damage. I read up on them and of course they are one of the hardest classes to level up, haha. Oh well.

One question: I've noticed in the starting areas that I sometimes see players of other races there. How do they get there? They are really low leveled, too.

It can take awhile to get a feel for your class, and of course for the game overall so don't worry about feeling too weak. Try to face mobs (monsters) at your level rather than hitting higher ones till you get more aquainted with everything.

As for your question, in GW2 from the get go you can go and do whatever you want. If I create a Norn, and my friend creates a Human, we could decide to meet up in any of the areas in the game suited to our level and start there. And as Spiritfox said, any zone you go in that is a lower level than yourself, downlevels you automatically. If you are level 30, and enter a zone that is 10-15, you will be level 15 whilst there.

Feel free to ask any other questions here in the OT! Have you joined the GAF guild in game?

Thanks! Once I settle on a character to stick with I will definitely request an invite.

When starting did you join the 'Stormbluff Isle' server? It is the server in which the guild is based and to do everything with guild members its best to be on the same. Since you're just testing classes, if you aren't it's simple at this point to change.

Yeah, I joined Stormbluff Isle. My ID is Dosuchin.9362

And thanks for clearing up how I'm seeing other races. I thought maybe there was a way to start the story quests elsewhere.

Jira

And thanks for clearing up how I'm seeing other races. I thought maybe there was a way to start the story quests elsewhere.

Do note that the meat and potatoes of GW2 are Dynamic Events (orange circles on the map). Keep an eye out for those, listen to what NPCs are saying, or look out into the world for visual clues (like a burning building). Content kinda comes to you in GW2 in a sense. Also, you couldn't have picked a better time to join cause in 5 days Living Story Season 2 kicks off and that means we're back to updates every two weeks.

BraXzy

I'm sure an Officer will invite you as soon as they see this.

No problem! There aren't really quests as such in this game. There is a personal story which is the most questline-esque, specific to your character. Hearts, which are located all over the place, each with their own little activities you need to do to complete them. Whether it be collecting something, killing something etc. And then there are Dynamic Events, which sometimes occur as you are wandering around. You can choose to join in or you can ignore them :)

The best part is, pretty much any activity can be done with other people. Whether it be a guild member, a random passer by or a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom