• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

New Concept Art: Premonition
Take a look at this sneak peak of things-to-come with this intriguing concept art from the upcoming Season 2 of the Living World.

eaa74Brisban.jpg

Awww yeah.

Dunno. Was gonna try Liadri again today but here it is 1pm and I've been fielding questions. Jumping on to look at the Roster, it appears we've added 3 in the last 24 hours. Lots of people in the gaming side thread have said they're at work or are downloading, so I would expect that to jump a bit more as the weekend gets underway.

440 members as of right now.

The painterly art that all Guild Wars 2 artwork has is sooooo good. The map, the loading screens, the logo.. Yum.

Get trying on Liadri! There's plenty of us who can try to answer questions that pop up.

Crap top of the page.. err.. here's a pretty gif

tumblr_n7oie3PQzW1s32a4po1_500.gif

Retro

So how much time do people expect we are in desert before we get into Dragon powered jungle?

My thinking is, Season 2 will end on a cliffhanger where Mordremoth awakens and we get our first really good look at him.

I'm kind of hoping we'll start in the wastes (and discover that the wastes aren't overgrown because the dragon has been drawing all of the life energy to sustain himself), and when he starts to awaken he lashes out (thus, the big vines and brambles) in advance of nature rushing back in force. It'd be really cool if the new zone had a lot of mesas and valleys, and as the Season progressed the lowlands grew more and more lush (but also more dangerous) while the outcroppings remained dry. So that we all head into a desert, but by the end of Season 2 it's a scary ass jungle.

Okay, this made me laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhUAoonkv8 - Undeniable proof that Tyria is shrinking!

Charr are experts at Fuzzy Math.
SO FUZZY

I got my Mesmer to level 10 and it's probably way too soon to give a fair opinion on the class but I think I like the idea of the class more than I like actually playing it. I'll keep with him for a bit longer to see if it grows on me more.

And since I started one of the tougher classes to level I thought I'd try one that a lot of people consider easy. I normally go with the pet class in these type of games so I chose the Ranger. I've had a much easier time and and am having a lot of fun with the various skills the weapons provide. From what I was reading in that thread Retro made the longbow is looked down on and not as good? That sucks, because a Norn looks so good holding it, haha.

Anno

Out of curiosity, what types of weapons/utilities are you running? I had a really rough time getting my Mesmer through about 20, after that it became much much easier and is now super fun. Looking back I think I could've made those levels much easier running different skills.

BraXzy

I got my Mesmer to level 10 and it's probably way too soon to give a fair opinion on the class but I think I like the idea of the class more than I like actually playing it. I'll keep with him for a bit longer to see if it grows on me more.

And since I started one of the tougher classes to level I thought I'd try one that a lot of people consider easy. I normally go with the pet class in these type of games so I chose the Ranger. I've had a much easier time and and am having a lot of fun with the various skills the weapons provide. From what I was reading in that thread Retro made the longbow is looked down on and not as good? That sucks, because a Norn looks so good holding it, haha.

It can sometimes take awhile for a class to click with you. I rolled a Thief first and partly because I was new, and partly because I hadn't got to grips with the class, I didn't like it much at first. But eventually something clicked and I love. I've rolled a Warrior now for my second character and it is a lot easier (I don't die as much) but it clicked a lot quicker and I'm enjoying it more than I did when I started my Thief. So just try a few if anything, or keep going. There's no rush :)

Don't worry too much about what people think in regards to gear and stuff. Just try whatever you want and stick with what you like! There's always time to try other stuff later on.

Out of curiosity, what types of weapons/utilities are you running? I had a really rough time getting my Mesmer through about 20, after that it became much much easier and is now super fun. Looking back I think I could've made those levels much easier running different skills.

Right now I'm using a greatsword because it's the best I have. Utilities, I still have the starter healing spell and Decoy to help get out of tough spots.

It can sometimes take awhile for a class to click with you. I rolled a Thief first and partly because I was new, and partly because I hadn't got to grips with the class, I didn't like it much at first. But eventually something clicked and I love. I've rolled a Warrior now for my second character and it is a lot easier (I don't die as much) but it clicked a lot quicker and I'm enjoying it more than I did when I started my Thief. So just try a few if anything, or keep going. There's no rush :)

Don't worry too much about what people think in regards to gear and stuff. Just try whatever you want and stick with what you like! There's always time to try other stuff later on.

Yeah, every MMO I've played has always had that class I couldn't get into when I first tried it and often times they end up being one of my favorite classes. I still think of the Mesmer as the most interesting so I'm definitely not giving up on it.

Retro

Mesmer, more than any of the other classes I've played, felt like it took the longest to get good. There's some traits and utilities that you just kind of NEED to have the proper "Mesmer Experience." I wish they'd work on that. When it did get good though, it got REALLY GOOD.

Longbow ranger is great (I actually use Longbow and Axe / Dagger on mine... and yes, he's a Norn too), but it's built for long range. The auto attack's damage scales up the further you are from the enemy, #2 is straight up burst damage, #3's stealth and and pet Swiftness make it a nice opening shot, letting your pet get into the fight faster. #4 is a knockback and #5 is a channeled AOE. Everything about it says "stay far away".

The problem people have with Longbow is when people run up and use it at melee range. It's a perfectly awesome weapon when you're using it right. Mesmer Greatsword is honestly about the same way; it's a ranged weapon through and through and using it at point blank range means you're doing it wrong.

Anno

Decoy is definitely a good early one. If you haven't, I'd reccommend looking into the staff. It's a great mix of offense and defense that has some decent AoE capabilities as well. Also remember that you can run two weapon sets now that you're past level 7 which let's you get clones and phantasms up much more quickly.

Mesmer, more than any of the other classes I've played, felt like it took the longest to get good. There's some traits and utilities that you just kind of NEED to have the proper "Mesmer Experience." I wish they'd work on that. When it did get good though, it got REALLY GOOD.

Longbow ranger is great (I actually use Longbow and Axe / Dagger on mine... and yes, he's a Norn too), but it's built for long range. The auto attack's damage scales up the further you are from the enemy, #2 is straight up burst damage, #3's stealth and and pet Swiftness make it a nice opening shot, letting your pet get into the fight faster. #4 is a knockback and #5 is a channeled AOE. Everything about it says "stay far away".

The problem people have with Longbow is when people run up and use it at melee range. It's a perfectly awesome weapon when you're using it right. Mesmer Greatsword is honestly about the same way; it's a ranged weapon through and through and using it at point blank range means you're doing it wrong.

I recall seeing someone in the general chat mentioning how the greatsword should be used as far away as possible. But I didn't know that about the longbow, I'll keep that in mind.

Has ArenaNet ever made comments about changing the Mesmer a bit, or any other classes? Or do they feel the classes are well-balanced at this point?

Decoy is definitely a good early one. If you haven't, I'd reccommend looking into the staff. It's a great mix of offense and defense that has some decent AoE capabilities as well. Also remember that you can run two weapon sets now that you're past level 7 which let's you get clones and phantasms up much more quickly.

Oh, right. I forgot all about getting that ability to switch weapons. Now that I know I can switch them out like that to get more clones and phantasms the class is already starting to make more sense! Before I was thinking to myself, if clones are a big part of this class then why am I getting them so slowly? I figured it was something that changed with a high level utility.

Retro

Has ArenaNet ever made comments about changing the Mesmer a bit, or any other classes? Or do they feel the classes are well-balanced at this point?

You're in luck: they had a live stream about their balance philosophy just a couple weeks ago:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/282wjy/balance_philosophy_developer_livestream_notes/
(Disclaimer: The bullet are just the rough notes taken from a live stream and people misconstrued what was being said based on Dulfy's usually slapdash job that they felt a need to clarify)

Oh, right. I forgot all about getting that ability to switch weapons. Now that I know I can switch them out like that to get more clones and phantasms the class is already starting to make more sense! Before I was thinking to myself, if clones are a big part of this class then why am I getting them so slowly? I figured it was something that changed with a high level utility.

Traits help a lot too. One of my absolute must-haves for Mesmer is the one that generates clones when you dodge. Little pink Asuran suicide bombers as far as the eye can see...

Class balance is an on-going thing in any MMO. ArenaNet holds regular twitch streams where they talk about the class philosophies, where they currently stand, etc. I've not tuned into one in a while, so I'm not sure where the current discussion on each class is.

EDIT: Beaten by Retro.

I recall seeing someone in the general chat mentioning how the greatsword should be used as far away as possible. But I didn't know that about the longbow, I'll keep that in mind..

Stuff like the Ranger range and the Mesmer thingamabob are usually explicitly mentioned in the tooltips. They've also been recently revised to explain in detail how things are affected by outside circumstances.

That Gaming thread is probably the most positive GW2Gaf thread i've seen yet. Even beats the comic one.

I played today for the first time in a few months. It's awesome that there is no pressure to play this game like I would feel under the weight a sub based MMO. I've said that like 15 times already but, yeah, even after a couple of months it's still awesome.

Now I need to get familiar with new builds for my warrior and ele.

Heysoos

Invite sent. Remember to click the "Represent" button at the bottom of the guild menu.

Thanks!

A few questions.

What should I do for money? Dailies? Are there dailies in this game?

I have level 79 green armor from before I quit, and level 78 blue weapons. I have 8 g 42 s, what should I be looking to buy or what's the best route to upgrade?

Appreciate any help. :) I guess I'll finally finish the story.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mesmer leveling is rough all over. The weapon skills by default seem so weak and awkward compared to every other class. I died so much from 1-20 I eventually just started to not repair my armor (back in ye olde days, armor repairs cost silver) and play naked. The leveling experience will force you to get good, though, and around level 40 is when I felt it opened up and really started to feel smooth.

Eventually, Mesmer can become an absolute force. Your clone and phantasm generation becomes more acceptable (try Decoy and then Mirror Images for utility skills) and eventually luxurious with the Deceptive Evasion trait, weapon cooldown reductions and vigor. After my thief, I wanted my next 80 to be something incredibly different so I went for Mesmer not really thinking it would be a class I loved, but it is far and away my second-favorite class in the game.
Thanks!

A few questions.

I have level 79 green armor from before I quit, and level 78 blue weapons. I have 8 g 42 s, what should I be looking to buy or what's the best route to upgrade?

There are dailies, but they're silly easy and you don't do them for gold. What you want out of dailies is Laurels (don't worry about what they're for yet).

That 8g should get you a full set of Rare level 78-80 armor and weapons. Make that your first step. In rares, you can literally do every piece of content in the game adequately.

The simplest source of gold would be the easy dungeon paths. That needs a group, and GAF is happy to oblige very frequently. In terms of stuff you can do solo, you'll want to check out the World Bosses (which each provide you a guaranteed rare item once a day, that you can then sell or salvage) and gather everything you see (Iron in particular is selling quite healthily right now).

Thanks!

A few questions.

There are dailies, but they give you Laurels. Laurels are used for a variety of things, like Ascended Trinkets and more. You might want to check the Laurel Vendor in each major city to see what they have.

Most people make money running dungeons, since they give a fair chunk of gold per path.

If you're level 80, the easiest way to get some exotic armour would be the Karma vendors at the Temples in Orr, though you need to look carefully what each Temple vendor sells, since each one sells different stat variations. You probably have a lot of Karma saved up, so that's one way.

An intermediate solution would be to pick up some basic level 80 rares, then run dungeons until you have enough tokens for the level 80 exotic dungeon armours. Or you could craft your level 80 exotic set, or ask for help from someone to craft a set for you, depending on what stats you want.

As you finish your Personal Story and hit the level 80 areas, be sure to check the karma vendors at each outpost you reach, they usually sell level-appropriate gear, and when you complete your Personal Story's final mission (a five man dungeon) you'll get a ticket you can use to get a nice weapon.

BraXzy

Mesmer leveling is rough all over. The weapon skills by default seem so weak and awkward compared to every other class. I died so much from 1-20 I eventually just started to not repair my armor (back in ye olde days, armor repairs cost silver) and play naked. The leveling experience will force you to get good, though, and around level 40 is when I felt it opened up and really started to feel smooth.

Eventually, Mesmer can become an absolute force. Your clone and phantasm generation becomes more acceptable (try Decoy and then Mirror Images for utility skills) and eventually luxurious with the Deceptive Evasion trait, weapon cooldown reductions and vigor. After my thief, I wanted my next 80 to be something incredibly different so I went for Mesmer not really thinking it would be a class I loved, but it is far and away my second-favorite class in the game.

There are dailies, but they're silly easy and you don't do them for gold. What you want out of dailies is Laurels (don't worry about what they're for yet).

That 8g should get you a full set of Rare level 78-80 armor and weapons. Make that your first step. In rares, you can literally do every piece of content in the game adequately.

The simplest source of gold would be the easy dungeon paths. That needs a group, and GAF is happy to oblige very frequently. In terms of stuff you can do solo, you'll want to check out the World Bosses (which each provide you a guaranteed rare item once a day, that you can then sell or salvage) and gather everything you see (Iron in particular is selling quite healthily right now).

Sureeee Hawk. It was the cost, not the fact you wanted to be naked all the time ;)

As for dungeon runs, I'm going to start running them more regularly so if you ever notice me mentioning a run feel free to tag along. Nobody needs to worry about not knowing the dungeons either, we are all more than happy to talk people through em.

Last weekend of the Festival!

qyR165f.jpg

Lump you do us proud on a daily basis.

th3dude

Sureeee Hawk. It was the cost, not the fact you wanted to be naked all the time ;)

As for dungeon runs, I'm going to start running them more regularly so if you ever notice me mentioning a run feel free to tag along. Nobody needs to worry about not knowing the dungeons either, we are all more than happy to talk people through em.

Lump you do us proud on a daily basis.

I'd love to get all of the dungeon achievements.

Lunar15

New Concept Art: Premonition
Take a look at this sneak peak of things-to-come with this intriguing concept art from the upcoming Season 2 of the Living World.

eaa74Brisban.jpg

Awww yeah.

Dunno. Was gonna try Liadri again today but here it is 1pm and I've been fielding questions. Jumping on to look at the Roster, it appears we've added 3 in the last 24 hours. Lots of people in the gaming side thread have said they're at work or are downloading, so I would expect that to jump a bit more as the weekend gets underway.

440 members as of right now.

I know it's just concept art, but those soldiers sure look like they have some polearms.

No weapon is better for dealing with thorny vines, just saying.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As for farming Gaunlet Chances, if anyone has a Thief, farming Hamli Hammerfell with 4 Gambits is pretty easy using blinds.
I'll have to do that. Cleared the first tier again last night, only Windcaller took two tries (and I was attempting a ridiculous gimmick strategy the first time just for fun). Was glad I remembered Suriel so well, maybe Liadri won't be 3 solid hours of fighting this time around. :D

Anyone have any interest in doing Colossus Rumblus the legit way, with interrupts, sometime tonight?

BraXzy

I'll have to do that. Cleared the first tier again last night, only Windcaller took two tries (and I was attempting a ridiculous gimmick strategy the first time just for fun). Was glad I remembered Suriel so well, maybe Liadri won't be 3 solid hours of fighting this time around. :D

Anyone have any interest in doing Colossus Rumblus the legit way, with interrupts, sometime tonight?

Suriel was one of the ones I got stuck on for awhile. Liadri took longest, then Strugar and Chomper, then the Pirates I'd say.

Hamli is super easy. Go dagger pistol and trait for high burst DPS. I usually go Signet of Malice (Healing), Haste, Signet of Agility, Assassin's Signet and Basilisk Venom. Each run just Stealth to him, drop a blind every 5 or so seconds and use haste to kill him quick. I usually kill him within 20 seconds.

Hedge

I'm really hoping now that the new zone comes after the first release, so that I can finish up my fourth world completion in time. And also hoping that the first release won't add a whole lot of hard-to-reach POI/SP's in Brisban. Like needing a meta event to get, like the temple SP's in Orr.

Also, I'm rather unimpressed with the goggles and the scarf model that was datamined. I was hoping that Season 2 was a return to high fantasy and a little less.. steampunk meets cyberpunk. That armour model does hint at more in the same vein as Season 1.

Retro

Also, I'm rather unimpressed with the goggles and the scarf model that was datamined. I was hoping that Season 2 was a return to high fantasy and a little less.. steampunk meets cyberpunk. That armour model does hint at more in the same vein as Season 2.

Datamined models usually look like crap, though. They're not complete.

Well, I can kind of agree with him.

But I think I've settled myself with the fact that GW2 has abandoned fantasy for something more steampunk overall.

Fantasy doesn't always mean nature elves and hark yet vagrants ye old medival lore of the rings. Besides, GW2 was never Fantasy. It's science-fiction. ;)

BraXzy

Datamined models usually look like crap, though. They're not complete.

Wait. It's going to be textured? :p

Random question.. is there a Dungeon tracker site? And if you don't get what I mean, for example this World Boss site shows when they are next spawning, but you can also tick off the bosses you have done each day. I have a bad memory so it'd be nice to have something similar for dungeons :3

Mxrz

Do monocles unlock all 3 weight class skins when you equip one? I wanted one before the changes to town clothes, but now I have so many silly hats. Still pondering grabbing one.

The lyssa recipe is annoying. I've gone through the gauntlet bosses near daily since the event started, and all I've found is the snake mini. That pretty much puts in the 'grindy' category for me, just going to hope they release it later. Outside of the Halloween, Southsun skins, and Azurite orbs, most things have come back?

Retro

Nope, monocle skins are still weight-based. It sucks. And Azurite Orbs are back, kinda. You can mine them in the Molten Facility fractal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom