• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

I know this game is on sale right now but I bought it earlier this week because I saw it on sale for half off at a local store. Anyway, I've always thought the Mesmer was the most interesting class so I made one and am having a lot of fun but I've noticed I'm really squishy and don't put out a whole lot of damage. I read up on them and of course they are one of the hardest classes to level up, haha. Oh well.

One question: I've noticed in the starting areas that I sometimes see players of other races there. How do they get there? They are really low leveled, too.

I would just like to add that it also upscales you if you are in certain areas of the game ( pvp. wvw etc)

also welcome .

once you are online i or anyone else will be happy to give you a tour and show you the ropes.

Players are downlvled to match a zone, so even if they are 80, they'll become 3 or 4 in the starting areas. Also, welcome and join the gaf guild!

edit : i once again prove with this post that i suck in replying with a phone :)

Katoki

Yeah, I joined Stormbluff Isle. My ID is Dosuchin.9362

And thanks for clearing up how I'm seeing other races. I thought maybe there was a way to start the story quests elsewhere.

Invite sent. Hit whatever your guild key bind is and click "represent." Remember that for every new character you log in to that isn't already representing, you'll have to click that button again. Also beware because the people that do the UI for this game have a shitty sense of humor with the placement of "Leave Guild" and "Compact" for your inventory. You'll see later.

Hello I'm curious if there is still room in the guild for an invite? my ID is TicksnLeeches.8435 been playing since launch and been visiting gaf for years figured it was time to finally sign up cant wait for season 2!

Retro

Here's the thread for Season 2 / Weekend Sale:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845195

Hawkian and I talked it out and I threw some banners together quickly. As always, the usual cast of characters are likely to show up and say their usual spiel, and a lot are certainly going to be spreading the usual misinformation. If you're allergic to that particular brand of internet-ery, maybe just skip on the gaming side thread.

Off to bed, g'night GAFGuild.

Hello I'm curious if there is still room in the guild for an invite? my ID is TicksnLeeches.8435 been playing since launch and been visiting gaf for years figured it was time to finally sign up cant wait for season 2!

Just jumped back on to get you invited, welcome aboard!

BraXzy

Invite sent. Hit whatever your guild key bind is and click "represent." Remember that for every new character you log in to that isn't already representing, you'll have to click that button again. Also beware because the people that do the UI for this game have a shitty sense of humor with the placement of "Leave Guild" and "Compact" for your inventory. You'll see later.

To explain this further, you can be a member of multiple guilds in the game at the same time. However you can only be an active member in one, you choose this by 'representing' that guild. Obviously unless you join another you won't need to worry about changing but it's something worth keeping in mind.

Thanks btw to the guildies who came and did CoF1 with me. That was the first time I instigated a group up for missions, I'm all grown up now :D

Hawk/Retro get crackin on that thread, the sale doesn't last long ;)

Scratch that, you're too good!

Retro

Hawk/Retro get crackin on that thread, the sale doesn't last long ;)

Scratch that, you're too good!

ghUiq.gif
You're lucky you edited!

BraXzy

ghUiq.gif
You're lucky you edited!

Don't kick me!

Nicely done thread, one thing I would suggest though.. throw a quick summary of what Living World is at the start of it to get people's interest. Atm it's more info for people who play the game already imo.

Moondrop

Banned
It's not a bad build, but it feels a bit gimmicky. It's reminiscent of the Skullcrack->Hundred Blades, except it's the burst skill used second. It's also similar to a build that was used in 2v2s. It's a great dueling/small skirmish build. I think you should run with it and tweak it as you see fit. It's very close to a previous meta build, and there's still Healing Signet, so as long as you can hit your stun->Eviscerate combo at least once you'll probably take the reigns of the fight if not outright win it. Hell, just count dodges and Eviscerate and you'll probably do well against most players. If you're having a hard time with 1v2's now, you'll have to focus harder on taking a player out early or running away until better skill is achieved.
Thanks, I'll stick with it. I think part of my problem is I'm not used to playing burst builds. You really have to be deeper inside your opponent's head. Perhaps re: 1v2s I'm playing it too safe buildwise, so I'm going to try dropping 10 out of defense and into strength for the axe ferocity trait.

Retro

Don't kick me!

Nicely done thread, one thing I would suggest though.. throw a quick summary of what Living World is at the start of it to get people's interest. Atm it's more info for people who play the game already imo.

Ah yeah, good point. Heading to bed here soon, so it may go in in the morning.

Katoki

Thanks for all of the advice. Those Dynamic Events are a lot of fun. Should I save Karma?

Use it as you see fit to upgrade your stuff at heart vendors as you progress through maps. Karma is an infinite resource so you'll only be put back in terms of time if you need more.

spiritfox

Also, Edge of the Mists is the best place to farm Karma and XP, though I wouldn't recommend farming there on your first character. Go explore the world, and enjoy the game first.

EotM would also be especially frustrating on a mesmer first character. Dude would be left behind all the time.

Strength runes are the best DPS runes in the game. Haven't checked the price recently but I bet the market reflects that.

Nah, meta nowadays places scholar above them. That 10% boost+ferocity is just too huge. Doesn't need a lot of uptime to make it worthwhile.

Obv that's in situations where you're running a solid group with decent might generation, making the boon duration bonus somewhat irrelevant. If you're the might machine, str it is.

I'm kinda looking at eagle runes, myself. Seems pretty solid for a class that is harder to crit cap, like guard.

But yes, str runes are ridiculously expensive.

Huh, checked the prices on hoelbrak, since thats pretty much str without the excellent 7% dmg bonus, aaand they're even more expensive than scholar. Go go scholar /o/

also, int´resting

Stop suggesting EotM farming for people just starting to play.

The best way to level is just try everything you see. Everything gives xp.

EotM should only be used if you want to rank up quick for WvW.

No one mentioned using Asura gates from you main city to go to Lions Arch and from there you can go to all the other racial cities and thier starting zones. (Purple swirls on map)

spiritfox

Stop suggesting EotM farming for people just starting to play.

The best way to level is just try everything you see. Everything gives xp.

EotM should only be used if you want to rank up quick for WvW.

No one mentioned using Asura gates from you main city to go to Lions Arch and from there you can go to all the other racial cities and thier starting zones. (Purple swirls on map)

Well, I did say not to use it on his first character. I was just suggesting a good place to get Karma.

Exploring is one of the best ways to get XP though, since you can also get to learn the game and find secrets around the world. Sometimes, you may get lucky and end up in a zone when a World Boss is up, which is even more XP and loot.

Also, Scholar Runes are the best.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it weird that there are rare charr mesmer players but in the story mode there're like plenty of them.

Moondrop

Banned
Nah, meta nowadays places scholar above them. That 10% boost+ferocity is just too huge. Doesn't need a lot of uptime to make it worthwhile.
The original question was about PvE, but my statement about Strength runes was not qualified. When you consider all game modes, they're clearly the best DPS runes.

As for PvE meta, I don't think you should dismiss the fact that Scholar runes are down to 4g and Strength runes up to 18g. But I'm not interested enough to run the numbers.

SirKhalid

Watchwork Mining Pick is back in the gem store, best money making item in the gem store!

How to Dance, Vol 1 and Mask of The Jubilee are 20% too.

The original question was about PvE, but my statement about Strength runes was not qualified. When you consider all game modes, they're clearly the best DPS runes.

As for PvE meta, I don't think you should dismiss the fact that Scholar runes are down to 4g and Strength runes up to 18g. But I'm not interested enough to run the numbers.

The cost difference is solely due to the fact that scholar runes can be crafted, and strength runes can only be salvaged.

4g is pretty much what it costs to make one. 1 elaborate totem, 1 bolt of gossamer, 1 charged lodestone.

Lunar15

The fact that I haven't been kicked yet is proof of either of inept guild management or the guild's undying loyalty.

YOU DECIDE.

Or I log in every few weeks ;)

Thorgal

The cost difference is solely due to the fact that scholar runes can be crafted, and strength runes can only be salvaged.

4g is pretty much what it costs to make one. 1 elaborate totem, 1 bolt of gossamer, 1 charged lodestone.

well ,since i intend for this build to be a max dps machine ( one of the highest in the game even i believe with A/M ) Strength it will be .

While the cost of those is very high ill get those slow and steady .

Besides at this point he is only a level 10 whelp .

The fact that I haven't been kicked yet is proof of either of inept guild management or the guild's undying loyalty.

YOU DECIDE.

Or I log in every few weeks ;)

We do not kick people that we recognize the name of even if they have been offline for a long time because some of them are still in the community like you. You do not play much but you still chat with us in here.

I recognize Bl4ckSunsh1n3 on here but I could not tell you what his character names are and I bet that is why he was kicked during the last culling.

Bl4ckSunsh1n3 just post your account.#### and an officer will add you or if you have any on your friends list just whisper/mail them and they will get you in.

th3dude

I logged in the other night for the first time in forever (go back a few pages for my WTF HAPPENED TO LION'S ARCH post) and I was still in the guild.

GAFGuild <3 me!

Matty8787

Right here goes, not played in FOREVER like 6-7 months. Gunna get back into this I reckon so hoping for an inv to the GAF Guild :)

mattymufc.3270 is me.

Thankya.

We do not kick people that we recognize the name of even if they have been offline for a long time because some of them are still in the community like you. You do not play much but you still chat with us in here.

I recognize Bl4ckSunsh1n3 on here but I could not tell you what his character names are and I bet that is why he was kicked during the last culling.

Bl4ckSunsh1n3 just post your account.#### and an officer will add you or if you have any on your friends list just whisper/mail them and they will get you in.

Corvinus.2317. It looks like I'm still in the guild though, I probably should have checked that first...lol...

I took a three month break/refresher and am ready to roll now.

manfestival

Would you guys say the game is very different from launch? I played the game till about level 25 and got bored. I am interested in possibly starting it back up(thank GOD for b2p)

Retro

OK, I'm coming back for season two. If I've been booted from the guild can I get invited back in? :)

Post yer username.#### and we'll get you in ASAP.

YOU DECIDE.

Our last culling only went back to December, I think. Now that there's a "Last Played" column on the guild roster we can remove people up to specific dates instead of just a sort of "have they earned any achievements in the last 6 months?" kind of thing.

retro that was the most mega of megaposts

I expected to wake up and see that ... ahem... "certain individuals" I shall not name, but who we all kind of recognize by now, had jumped into the thread and started the usual "GW2 is worse than Two Hitlers! Here's a list of opinions I have presented as facts explaining how!!" campaign that, for whatever reason, they feel compelled to wage in every single GW2 thread on gaming side.

Instead, just a lot of people asking about the game (some questions I really should have, and have since added to the OT). I was positively shocked.

Boy we are going to be loaded up for the 1st...

We may need to do another sweep of inactive players to get it down a little. I know we're ~430 people, if we get up around 480 we'll do a little housekeeping to bring it back to 450 or so.

Would you guys say the game is very different from launch? I played the game till about level 25 and got bored. I am interested in possibly starting it back up(thank GOD for b2p)

You've missed 31 updates if you haven't played since launch, including the entire first Season of the Living Story (most of it temporary, but there's a lot of permanent changes due to the events). The second post in this thread has kind of a brief overview, and a link to the wiki's list of releases in case you want more (scroll down to the "Returning Players" section).

Matty8787

Also because I havn't played in so long I currently have a lvl 67 guardian and a 63 necro but damn if I remember how to play them :p

Do I make a new toon or pick up and learn from where I was?

spiritfox

Also because I havn't played in so long I currently have a lvl 67 guardian and a 63 necro but damn if I remember how to play them :p

You can switch skills whenever, so just stick with them unless you don't like the class.

BraXzy

It has been pretty positive so far in that thread! I was going to say myself, will the guild need a sweep with the new players coming on board.

Corvinus.2317. It looks like I'm still in the guild though, I probably should have checked that first...lol...

I took a three month break/refresher and am ready to roll now.

OMG. I am pretty sure all the us Elder Officers who might do cullage, would have recognized your account name and would not have kicked you, which they didn't.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Did you like those classes? No reason to start a new character- just go to a newbie zone with either of them and practice a bit. You'll be scaled down, so while you'll still be very powerful, you can't just play blindfolded either. You can also practice against dummies in the Heart of the Mists too.

Matty8787

You can switch skills whenever, so just stick with them unless you don't like the class.

Did you like those classes? No reason to start a new character- just go to a newbie zone with either of them and practice a bit. You'll be scaled down, so while you'll still be very powerful, you can't just play blindfolded either. You can also practice against dummies in the Heart of the Mists too.

Cheers guys, will just practice a bit as I did enjoy the Guardian class iirc.

Just waiting on an inv then good to go!

Callunah

Neo Member
Cheers guys, will just practice a bit as I did enjoy the Guardian class iirc.

Just waiting on an inv then good to go!

Invite sent! Welcome back to GAF! dont forget to push the little button on the guild screen that says "represent"... so we can banter with you in guild chat!

Retro

Blah, I'm so busy answering questions in the other thread I'm not answering them here. Also just realized it's noon already. Busy bee.

Retro

New Concept Art: Premonition
Take a look at this sneak peak of things-to-come with this intriguing concept art from the upcoming Season 2 of the Living World.

eaa74Brisban.jpg

Awww yeah.

You're doing a great job of answering Q's anyway. How many new members have we got so far?

Dunno. Was gonna try Liadri again today but here it is 1pm and I've been fielding questions. Jumping on to look at the Roster, it appears we've added 3 in the last 24 hours. Lots of people in the gaming side thread have said they're at work or are downloading, so I would expect that to jump a bit more as the weekend gets underway.

440 members as of right now.

th3dude

Dunno. Was gonna try Liadri again today but here it is 1pm and I've been fielding questions. Jumping on to look at the Roster, it appears we've added 3 in the last 24 hours. Lots of people in the gaming side thread have said they're at work or are downloading, so I would expect that to jump a bit more as the weekend gets underway.

440 members as of right now.

Speaking as one of these people, I think you'll see a lot more activity from folks already in the guild (like myself) that haven't logged in in a while. Harder to track that than raw adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom