• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I right in understanding that some areas from the past go away forever during these patches or new seasons? Feelsbadman.jpg that I might miss content just because I wasn't there at the right time (Halloween events etc not counting).

Technically, the only areas that ever went away were seasonal things, and the temporary Sanctum and Pavilion (for plot reasons - the Sanctum wasn't always in our area, and the Pavilion was shut down while they fixed all the watchknights). I wouldn't be surprised if the Pavilion stays open after this patch, but since the Zephyrites are moving, obviously the Cliffs can't stay open (or they'd have to rebuild it sans Zephyrites).

There was a lot of temporary content, but it made sense that it was temporary. The Marionette for example, fifty foot tall robot Scarlet made that we fought - well, we beat it. So now it's laying in Lornar's Pass in ruins (you can still go see it there). The siege of Lion's Arch is over, so we can't have the Breachmaker fight happening anymore, and now it's laying in ruins all around Lion's Arch. And so on. Things changed because things changed. Change is only possible if things are temporary, transitory.

It is a pity people missed content because they weren't there. But that's the only reason that content really has meaning - because you had to be there. I'm glad they're not abandoning the idea with Season 2, although they are putting less emphasis on it. But it's like when Lord British got killed in Ultima Online - if you weren't there, you simply weren't there. You could read people talk about it happening afterwards (this was before YouTube), and that made the event nearly mythic to those who weren't lucky enough to be around. That gave it weight, meaning.

It's a pity MMOs are shying away from that, more and more.

Minamu

Thanks for the responses :) I guess you just gotta live with it then for the time being. I assume my character's personal story is only a small part of the overall story, for it seems much like a single player adventure at the moment, and not a particularly good one either xD, not like a mmoish thing.

Technically, the only areas that ever went away were seasonal things, and the temporary Sanctum and Pavilion (for plot reasons - the Sanctum wasn't always in our area, and the Pavilion was shut down while they fixed all the watchknights). I wouldn't be surprised if the Pavilion stays open after this patch, but since the Zephyrites are moving, obviously the Cliffs can't stay open (or they'd have to rebuild it sans Zephyrites).

There was a lot of temporary content, but it made sense that it was temporary. The Marionette for example, fifty foot tall robot Scarlet made that we fought - well, we beat it. So now it's laying in Lornar's Pass in ruins (you can still go see it there). The siege of Lion's Arch is over, so we can't have the Breachmaker fight happening anymore, and now it's laying in ruins all around Lion's Arch. And so on. Things changed because things changed. Change is only possible if things are temporary, transitory.
That sounds pretty cool I suppose :D Even better if we could replay it in an instance like they might be trying to fix. Great :)

That sounds pretty cool I suppose :D Even better if we could replay it in an instance like they might be trying to fix. Great :)

There will still be temporary content in the open world, things that are changed permanently, so if you're not there for that while it's going on, you will miss it. It's still unclear *what* exactly they're putting in the Story Journal, or how they're now designing those instanced bits of content, and how they tie into the changing world.

Levyne

Banned
Are melee Rangers viable?

I totes want to make one.

Yep. I've been out of the loop so I don't want to get too specific as I'm still tinkering, but sword for damage, greatsword for balance/defense, I really love the off-hand axe (Path of Scars is great damage and can pierce/pull 3 enemies to you) and Whirling Defense is the only real reflect you get. That and warhorn 4 work well with Rampage as One due to the number of hits, and warhorn 5 is pretty great for when Rampage is down, though I do think that both warhorn cooldowns are a little long.

Quickening zephyr is always a good utility and stunbreak. If you run "signet of the beastmaster" Grandmaster trait, then Signet of the Wild is good damage (+25%) and also stability, which is always super useful.

If I'm playing world content, I'll generally run stone signet just for a panic button along with the signet cooldown reduction trait. In a dungeon I'll do frost spirit and spotter instead.

For WvW, Bark Skin is a super useful trait. As is shared anguish somewhat.

Edit: I used to play a skirmish condition ranger a little bit with settler's gear..but it's been a while. Axe/dagger and axe/torch I believe. Unfortunately I don't remember the details. I also had a GS ranger build for WvW but I didn't save all the builds in my stupidity. Muddy terrain and Entangle are the primary group utilities. Main hand axe is a range weapon anyway.

BraXzy

Did no one like the GIF I made? :(

Someone who I was chatting to at the gauntlet just gave me 50G since I had asked him about how he made money. Not gonna say no to that.. but how awesome of someone to just do that. GW2 really does have a great community.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Someone who I was chatting to at the gauntlet just gave me 50G since I had asked him about how he made money. Not gonna say no to that.. but how awesome of someone to just do that. GW2 really does have a great community.

i liked it, i'm right there with pikachu

Zeroth

And this is where we know what kind of person Braxzy is.

A terrible person.

DrAg0nBoY

WoodenPotatoes uploaded his first video of Season 2. He got early access to the new map and content if anybody is interested.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
WoodenPotatoes uploaded his first video of Season 2. He got early access to the new map and content if anybody is interested.

giphy.gif

Jira

Thanks for the responses :) I guess you just gotta live with it then for the time being. I assume my character's personal story is only a small part of the overall story, for it seems much like a single player adventure at the moment, and not a particularly good one either xD, not like a mmoish thing.

The Personal Story takes place in time before the Living World content and aren't really connected. Thing is the PS wasn't written by the actual writing team, the actual writing team wrote all of the dialog you see out in the world which is far better than any of the PS writing. That same team is now doing the Living World writing and it is a hell of a lot more engaging than all of the PS.

Levyne

Banned
The Personal Story takes place in time before the Living World content and aren't really connected. Thing is the PS wasn't written by the actual writing team, the actual writing team wrote all of the dialog you see out in the world which is far better than any of the PS writing. That same team is now doing the Living World writing and it is a hell of a lot more engaging than all of the PS.

What Jira is trying to say is that the personal story suuuuuuuuuuucks

Patch Notes, reading now

esai

Not reading it.

Not reading it.

NOT READING IT GODDAMNIT.

Gamepad fans ahoy!

Download the profiles/script here: https://www.mediafire.com/?xdyibug9yid7tv4

Then:
1) Go to http://www.freewarefiles.com/Xpadder_program_21789.html and download version 5.3 of XPadder, and put it wherever you unzipped that too
2) Go to http://www.autohotkey.com/ and download AutoHotKey. Install/decompress it, then run "ahk2exe.exe" from the "Compiler" folder. Click "Browse" next to "Source file" and open the included "Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.ahk" script
3) Follow INSTRUCTIONS.txt

I have NO IDEA why Chrome just decided to consider some of the files in this zip to be infected. We literally haven't touched it in over a year and there's no virus.

Retro, until further notice please replace the like in the OP with the above instructions.

thanks you so much. now i can relax into my chair and play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Patching! Not reading the balance stuff quite yet in the notes, but it sure is light on info about the actual release!

Mini Frostbite, though ^_^

Like the look of that Assassin's armor too, hm.

Gonna hop on mumble shortly!

edit: per release page, it IS
Dry Top
! Woo!

Minamu

What Jira is trying to say is that the personal story suuuuuuuuuuucks

Patch Notes, reading now
Haha okay good, then it wasn't just me then. Do I have to finish the PS first before getting into the really good stuff? I guess I should just level up accordingly at the game's pace and not worry about it :)

Levyne

Banned
Haha okay good, then it wasn't just me then. Do I have to finish the PS first before getting into the really good stuff? I guess I should just level up accordingly at the game's pace and not worry about it :)

Nothing is gated behind the personal story I don't think. You get a free "pact" weapon skin out of it, but you can buy those. And random achievements.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you don't have to finish the personal story at a particular point or ever if you don't feel like it. Guild Wars 2 is all about doing whatever you feel like

So, in the end I managed to get the Meta-Achievement for the Festival.
Went from 0 to 14 achievements today. I think I might have played a bit too much.
Got the Dolyak Tonic, a Wacthwork Mini (Had to spend the remaining tokens somewhere), and a preety cool looking skin for my LongBow (the on you get in Crown pavillion).
Not bad I'd say.

BraXzy

So, in the end I managed to get the Meta-Achievement for the Festival.
Went from 0 to 14 achievements today. I think I might have played a bit too much.

Got the Dolyak Tonic, a Wacthwork Mini (Had to spend the remaining tokens somewhere), and a preety cool looking skin for my LongBow (the on you get in Crown pavillion).
Not bad I'd say.

Hot damn congrats, that's some work!

I'm so hyped for the update, I don't know what to do firstt!!! I just got into the new zone.

Thorgal

Took a nap and wake up to a new update .

About strength note nerf . does it change anything in regards to using them for my DPS build ? less damage i suppose .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom