• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guns banned from NRA's convention during Donald Trump's appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/2...as-convention-during-donald-trumps-appearance

For the excited NRA faithful, one aspect of seeing President Donald Trump open their annual meeting Friday was a bit of a downer: No guns allowed.

Guns are allowed in most public places in Georgia, including in the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta where the National Rifle Association is holding its annual meeting this weekend. But as with most presidential appearances, firearms weren’t allowed.

The rule left some attendees feeling a little out of sorts without a sidearm or most any kind of weapon they might ordinarily carry, including pepper spray and knives. But many figured they were safe given the event hall was swept hours earlier by the Secret Service, and there were K-9 dogs and metal detectors to get past before getting inside.

“If the president wasn’t here, we’d be carrying. We’re in the safest place right now,” said Mark D. Swinson, an NRA-certified instructor who with his wife owns a company that provides firearms training.

Still, he confessed, “I did feel a little naked getting here” from the hotel, a few blocks away from the conventional hall.

Poor nutjobs can't walk a few blocks without feeling a gun by their side.

Ithil

What if terrorists appear and kill all the Secret Service agents, how will that brave NRA member in his XL tacticool gear save the day without his overpriced machine gun?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Oh man it's almost like there are certain circumstances when carrying a gun might not really be the safest or smartest move.

I've half a mind to protest this because of these NRA douchebags who think the 2nd Amendment is the law and should never be infringed upon, these MOLON LAVE assholes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander and these assholes should put their money where their mouth is.

I mean honestly the only thing Trump should be concerned with is people with mental health issues! Just ban them from the conference so everyone else can keep their gun!

Edit: If you're ok with people being allowed to carry weapons into movie theaters and night clubs then you should support it anywhere. Only way to show you're not a hypocrite is to put your money where your mouth is.

sangreal

it must suck to be so afraid of the world that you don't know what to do with yourself when you can't carry a gun for a couple of hours

JP_

Banned
They are willingly putting Trump in danger by not having as many good guys with guns around him as possible! Gun free zones are easy targets etc etc!

it must suck to be so afraid of the world that you don't know what to do with yourself when you can't carry a gun for a couple of hours
Yeah, I was going to say this. I guess not to disparage anyone who feels compelled to carry, but fuck I'd be bummed out if I had to be strapped at all times.

RPGCrazied

And he brought up his election again when he spoke, just no path to 270!

God, will he ever let that shit go. What a pathetic little man.

DonShula

I'll give most of them the benefit of the doubt and assume the weirdest quote was plucked for the story. Maybe the rest of them were a bit more reasonable.

Still, there's something hilarious about a bunch of "Obama's gonna take our guns" dudes getting told by the evil government that they can't bring their guns, and then putting their tails between their legs and attending anyway.

Not to defend gun nuts, because fuck em, but the quote about him feeling naked without his gun really isn't that weird. If you have a heavy object on your person all day every day, then it's gonna feel strange not having it on you one day. Especially when the event you're attending literally exists for the sake of that object.

It's like shaving your head after having shoulder length hair for a long time. It's gonna feel weird.
So they LITERALLY allowed the government to take their guns away ?

This is pretty hilarious, though.

But couldn't they better protect him with more guns?

Seriously, when are we going to start allowing people to walk around with grenade launchers? White suburbia is dangerous, you never know when you might need some explosives to protect yourself.

Azuran

Banned
Still, he confessed, ”I did feel a little naked getting here" from the hotel, a few blocks away from the conventional hall.

Do these people really carry their guns everywhere? If yes, do they also wear them inside their homes?

Gun culture is fucking weird.

So afraid that someone might beat that ass for talking reckless that you gotta carry every where you go so that you feel like you can talk reckless. Fucking cowards all of them

This. I'm very pro gun but it's stupid to say there should be no exceptions.

That's literally their argument though. 2nd amendment right to carry a gun anywhere, movie theater, grocery store, elementary school. But an NRA function and no guns allowed... It's pure hypocrisy as usual. If guns are so safe why can't the president be in a room full of them?

RPGCrazied

Do these people really carry their guns everywhere? If yes, do they also wear them inside their homes?

Gun culture is fucking weird.

These are the type of nutjobs are like, this photo right here says it all.

enhanced-buzz-7283-1401888987-8.jpg

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Disgusting. Trump's life was in grave danger as a result of this misguided policy. I hope that his future speaking arrangements are at locations that allow guns, like universities and Walmarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom