• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guns banned from NRA's convention during Donald Trump's appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

How or why 2nd amendment is so deeply drilled into minds of some Americans that any attempt at gun control laws is seen as basically capital crime? What has created this... fanaticism over guns in US?

Slightly off-topic, but something what I have though about yet never found good answer.

Edit: Inaccurate or not jokes about how getting rifle in US is easier than purchasing milk are common

These are the type of nutjobs are like, this photo right here says it all.

enhanced-buzz-7283-1401888987-8.jpg

being a Raptors fan in the US is a stranger sight than automatic weapons in a grocery store.

When I worked retail (Gamestop) every now and then someone would show up with a gun, not like a big assault rifle like you see in some of these pictures but generally a handgun in a case on their belt, much like police do. This always scared the ever living shit out of me, its very intimidating because I don't fucking know you. I don't know if you are actually trained to use that thing or that since its legal to carry around as you are if one second later your going to try and rob my store or shoot me like a crazy person. I had people threaten me more often then I would have liked and seeing someone show up with a gun was always fucking terrifying.

I do not get gun culture, you want to protect your home fine have a gun (even though you are like 1000x more likely to hurt someone yourself then ever actually defend your home) but keep it locked up and safe, don't take it out in public with you because it is intimidating as all hell, I shouldn't have to be afraid working my fucking job because some asshole thinks hes 'protecting' people by walking around with a gun strapped to his waist.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is why I only agree with concealed carry. Some people are simply terrified of firearms. Walking around with semi automatic rifles designed like the AR-15 scares people. It's also pointless.

Anyone seeing this and NOT being terrified is what's weird. You SHOULD be terrified if you see someone walking around with a killing tool made for war. That's the normal human reaction. American gun culture, where a scene like this is even remotely considered "normal", is fucking weird.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The idea of one feeling naked without a gun perplexes me.

It's funny because soldiers are conditioned to think this way in basic training. I wonder how many of these people served in the military and were just never able to get re accustomed to civilian life.

digdug2k

When I worked retail (Gamestop) every now and then someone would show up with a gun, not like a big assault rifle like you see in some of these pictures but generally a handgun in a case on their belt, much like police do. This always scared the ever living shit out of me, its very intimidating because I don't fucking know you. I don't know if you are actually trained to use that thing or that since its legal to carry around as you are if one second later your going to try and rob my store or shoot me like a crazy person. I had people threaten me more often then I would have liked and seeing someone show up with a gun was always fucking terrifying.

I do not get gun culture, you want to protect your home fine have a gun (even though you are like 1000x more likely to hurt someone yourself then ever actually defend your home) but keep it locked up and safe, don't take it out in public with you because it is intimidating as all hell, I shouldn't have to be afraid working my fucking job because some asshole thinks hes 'protecting' people by walking around with a gun strapped to his waist.
Heh. I'm on this Facebook dad's group... or was (I think I quite because I got sick of the "Look at the new gun I bought" posts) where someone last month seriously wrote, "My little one is getting big enough that I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't keep my loaded revolver next to my bed. Anyone have any advice on what to do instead?" Half of the responses were along the lines of "my family raised me never to dig into my dads stuff without permission".

Couleurs

The idea of one feeling naked without a gun perplexes me.

Same here.

Even though I've never wanted or felt a need to buy a gun, I can understand why people would want guns if they're into hunting, want some home protection, or just like going to bed the shooting range for fun. However I seriously feel bad for people who are so terrified of the world around them that they feel a need to be armed when they go grocery shopping. Living life in a constant state of fear must be a miserable existence.

hwalker84

Soooooo

I'm currently in Atlanta to attend this show. I'm a stanch supporter of our second amendment rights, train people in gun safety, and avid shooter.

I am in no way shape or form a trump supporter but being as he was there I had to see what made him tick with his supporters. I attended his speech... Oh and I was probably 1 of 5 black people in the audience. What I saw I don't have enough time or want to give enough effort to type. But I get it now and not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom