• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 - no level editor, no ATV, co-op is offline only (?)

border

This information is from a magazine scan that cannot be reposted here ;)

If you want to make your own levels and upload them to Live, then you will apparently have to wait for Farcry Instincts and Pariah.

They mention that co-op "will be playable offline"....so I assume that means no online co-op. Co-op is 2P only.

The ATV was just not playing right, so it has been removed from the vehicle roster. Is the rocket warhog the only new one, now?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
there will be other new vehicles. The ATV could be hard to adjust because of the physics engine... it would probably roll too easily.

2p co-op offline is good for me. AS LONG AS CO-OP REMAINS I AM HAPPY

Prine

Banned
Good (level editor)

If you know Halo, evey level is incredibly well designed. Takes quite some time to learn the secrets of each area, i dont know if id like to play online if everyone used customized maps.

border

It is supposedly from OXM. The only scanned part right now is the "What is missing" feature, so even if you hunted it down you wouldn't learn anything that I haven't already mentioned.

IJoel

WHAT. THE. FUCK!?

No online co-op?

I can't simply understand why they can't make this happen. BIG disappointment.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Anyone with half a brain knew there wouldnt be a level editor, Bungie tunes their levels to a tea, they dont want people playing shitty levels players made in 15 minutes, that would cheapen the experience.

Sucks if the co-op thing is true, dont understand why developers have such trouble with co-op online.

I wondered about the ATV, since it hasnt shown up anywhere since its announcement, disapointing.

border

I think it is kind of ambiguous about online co-op. They say:

"The wildly popular cooperative mode will return in Halo 2, and it will be playable offline, but the limit is two people."

Since they specifically mention that it is offline I assume that means they want everyone to know that it won't be online.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Maybe. It could be for those of us who wondered if we'd get an offline co-op again though. It was always probable that it'd be in, but I worried that maybe they'd see online only as ok, especially if the amount they've pushed the Xbox this time wouldn't allow a decent framerate with a splitscreen version.

jedimike

I'm assuming bandwidth limitations doesn't allow co-op online. There's a reason for the 16 player limit on XBL. I guess that if you have a situation on Halo2 like the flood... then there is no way that the data from every alien, master chiefs, and voice can be uploaded and downloaded fast enough to provide a worthy gaming experience.

Most people are running upload speeds of 256Kb on broadband... linking Xbox's would be about 400 times faster or 100Mb.

Teddman

At least system-link co-op is confirmed. That was my biggest gripe about the first game.

As far as the campaign mode of the game was concerned, I really only wanted to play it co-op. It's so much more fun...

border

Ghost said:
they dont want people playing shitty levels players made in 15 minutes, that would cheapen the experience.
How have user-made maps ever cheapened the experience of any game? If you don't wanna play on them, then don't download them. If you don't like what someone makes, then delete it or switch back to playing only the default maps. If you do like what someone makes, then the useful life of the game is extended even further.

The more obvious explanation for the lack of a level editor is that they don't want people providing users with new maps when they can sell them as downloadable content for $2 a pop.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Teddman said:
At least system-link co-op is confirmed. That was my biggest gripe about the first game.

As far as the campaign mode of the game was concerned, I really only wanted to play it co-op. It's so much more fun...

border did not mention that! wtf! that's huge news!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
generally there are allways good user created maps.. but it IS annoying when you are on a server and the host is constantly changing maps to something you dont have.

MaddenNFL64

border said:
The more obvious explanation for the lack of a level editor is that they don't want people providing users with new maps when they can sell them as downloadable content for $2 a pop.

Hah. I kinda thought that as well.

border

System link co-op is not confirmed in the scan I'm looking at. If it is available then that information is coming from somewhere else.

Redbeard

Banned
border said:

Or they just don't have time to implement one...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

More obvious or more cynical?

Making a map editor, usable on Xbox that is capable of creating maps that can match the levels bungie has created themselves would probably take another 2 years, thats if it could actually be done. You should remember that all bungies levels this time round have interactive enviroments, some have specially created moving interactive objects, the polish is endless and not something you or anyone else is going to want to do on an Xbox with an controller.

If Bungie were thinking about the money you'd be paying for clans and tournies.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Ghost said:
More obvious or more cynical?

Making a map editor, usable on Xbox that is capable of creating maps that can match the levels bungie has created themselves would probably take another 2 years, thats if it could actually be done. You should remember that all bungies levels this time round have interactive enviroments, some have specially created moving interactive objects, the polish is endless and not something you or anyone else is going to want to do on an Xbox with an controller.

If Bungie were thinking about the money you'd be paying for clans and tournies.

Who said they have to be bungie quality? Is there a control board?

'You should remember that all bungies levels this time round have interactive enviroments, some have specially created moving interactive objects'

Why would that matter if the tool set, if it had any worth, would have abilty to replicate that?

Levl gimmicks did not help Doom 3. :(

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Level creation on a console? Whats that, a new fad? It might be possible and decent for outdoor environments where you simply alter the height of the terrain, where to put trees and rocks and some basic buildings but its never gonna touch a professional home made map thats uniquely designed, and like ghost said, the devs actually have the tools to make the environment interactif, unlike level building tools.

border

Why does a level editor have to provide all the tools that Bungie has access to? Just let people build them without "interactive objects". If Bungie maps have some exclusive features, then that would give them an excuse to charge for them, at least.

I think 10 years of PC level building has shown that good, solid architecture will generally outweighs gimmicky interactive stuff. The most memorable levels I've played were made memorable by their layout, rather than some feature that got activated with a switch pull.

Buggy Loop said:
Level creation on a console? Whats that, a new fad?

Apparently it's a new requirement too. ;)

I didn't even know there was a rumored level editor to begin with. This is the first time I've even heard that it was expected.

border

Level editors have been in console FPS games for nearly 4 years now (Timesplitters, 2000). Tony Hawk has had a level creator since the second or third game. If it's a "fad", then it's certainly not a new one.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Society said:
Who said they have to be bungie quality? Is there a control board?

'You should remember that all bungies levels this time round have interactive enviroments, some have specially created moving interactive objects'

Why would that matter if the tool set, if it had any worth, would have abilty to replicate that?

Levl gimmicks did not help Doom 3. :(

If they arent bungie quality then they shouldn't be in Halo 2.

Its not about the 'gimmicks' (which actually add a chance to change the way the whole level plays in halo 2) its about the balance and ensuring that if a player logs on, and joins a random server for 1/2 an hour, then logs out, has the same experience as a player who logs in for a few hours a day and knows exactly what servers to look for.
Console games need that level of polish because unlike on PC, most of the people going online wont be experienced at it, and so wouldn't know which maps were bungie created, so they have to do everything possible to make sure everyones experience online is enjoyable.

[/imo]

Kon Tiki

Banned
Funny. I get the same experience everytime on Ut2k4 from user created maps or Official ones.

The 'gimmicks' in Doom3 DO change the way the level is played (lights out for example).

Alex

Time Splitters level creation absolutely blew. And they probably should've poured the time making it into making the single player campaign and multi-player AI not suck.

I personally don't really want to see a map editor in Halo 2, not on the current gen of consoles at least.

DAMN!! Can we at least get 'System Link' co-op?! You'd thuink after the Tom Clancy games..they'd realized that online co-op play is really what some of us want!

border

Why isn't Gamespot reporting this???!?!?!

Moneyhats! Bias!
Console games need that level of polish because unlike on PC, most of the people going online wont be experienced at it, and so wouldn't know which maps were bungie created
Huh? You think that they are going to forget which maps they have downloaded and which were included with the game? That's not giving people much credit.

No no, you're behind the times. Gamespot is biased in favor of Sony. That's why, when they post this news, they won't mention that Halo 2 is still way way better than Killzone. BIAS!

jedimike

border said:
Why isn't Gamespot reporting this???!?!?!

Moneyhats! Bias!
Huh? You think that they are going to forget which maps they have downloaded and which were included with the game? That's not giving people much credit.

... because it's not worth reporting. Nobody has ever heard of the level editor, the 4 wheeler was only briefly mentioned, and co-op online was never suggested by Bungie AFAIK.

It's like reporting that GT4 isn't going to have motorcycles and custom tracks...

Sai

The ATV could've been a nice medium between the 'hog and the Ghost. But I can kind of see how it wouldn't have contributed much, especially considering you have to use some random single-handed weapon to fire while driving.

... I didn't expect a level editor, I don't think many people did, and I don't care that it's missing from HALO 2. 0_o

Now... LIVE co-op, that disappoints me a bit, but not too much. HALO 2's single player maps are supposed to be rediculously huge, it's hard for me to imagine playing co-op over LIVE when you consider everything that's supposed to be going on in HALO 2's single player campaign levels... Destructible enviroments, tons of enemy AI, the physics...

BUT THERE HAS TO BE SYSTEM-LINK CO-OP! Seriously, that is a must. Fuck split-screen.

border said:
This information is from a magazine scan that cannot be reposted here ;)

If you want to make your own levels and upload them to Live, then you will apparently have to wait for Farcry Instincts and Pariah.

They mention that co-op "will be playable offline"....so I assume that means no online co-op. Co-op is 2P only.

The ATV was just not playing right, so it has been removed from the vehicle roster. Is the rocket warhog the only new one, now?
no level editor... hrm, was a level editor even a rumor?

no online co-op... don't care much... maybe i would care more if liked playing halo 1 legendary solo so much more...

no atv... aw :-/... might have been fun... oh well, this has to be the worst news of the three...

Top Bottom