• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 - Rent before you buy (Review)

Start up the Gamerankings petitions... :lol

http://www.paxgamers.com/index.php?id=115
Overall: 84%

I would definitely recommend renting this game, but please don’t plan on buy it before renting. Halo has lost much of its allure. All the fun can probably be extracted in a week- after that, if you like it, you should buy it. If you don’t, then don’t shell out the money. This game deceptively seems to be revolutionary, but it’s really an illusion. Once you get past the box of the game, the inside can be just shockingly monotonous… that is if you have played the predecessor.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I agree with this review. While better than Halo, if you don't traditionally like the genre, Halo 2 won't change your mind. Sometimes a game is good enough that it can appeal to non-fans of the genre, like Burnout 3. Halo 2 isn't good enough to do that, imo.

Also, besides live play, it's an incremental improvement over Halo 1. If I didn't have live, I'd be disappointed with the game.

I DO have live though, so its pwnage :)

Che

Banned
I don't think paxgamers is included on gamerankings' av. score. Or it was till they released the Halo2 review.

fugimax

I bought Halo 2, but:

1. Single player campaign is short. Very short.
2. It really is just more of the same, just jazzed up a bit. I never thought Halo was revolutionary, so Halo 2 certainly isn't. The only way Halo was revolutionary is in that it brought a decent FPS to consoles.

That being said, XBL play is really fun. If someone used XBL a lot, I'd recommend they buy the game -- it's definitely worth it for that. If they only wanted it for single player, however, I would recommend a rental.

I rented it and I'm glad I did. If I ever want to play multiplayer (Only reason to play it after a once through) I'll have my friends bring over one of their copies.

B E N K E

Honestly, posting this link is just playing in to these jokers hands. I've never heard of the site, but obviously they want traffic. Low score for Halo 2 equals insane traffic.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I love it when Cube/PS2 fanboyz open up makeshift sites to give big Xbox games like Halo2 lower scores just to stir up contraversy.

open_mouth_ said:
I love it when Cube/PS2 fanboyz open up makeshift sites to give big Xbox games like Halo2 lower scores just to stir up contraversy.

It's a PC / Xbox site only, you super sleuth... :D

Che

Banned
open_mouth_ said:

I love it when xbox fanboys make a fool out of themselves by accussing anyone who says anything negative about Halo. Paxgamers is an xbox/Pc only site that gave Fable 95% - PDO 96% Midtown madness 85% etc. etc.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Gotta love some of the comments on that site:

"To the reviewer--great job, I'm glad to see that you're not afraid to go against the grain and write what you really believe. You have a sunny future ahead of you."

hey tree hugger i think you wearing your thong backwards again. this guys review is stupid, cant you tell this looser applied for a job at bungie to work under the desk giving blo% j&bs but they kicked him out? he's a freakin looser that mad at the world because he was picked on and bullied at school, and took his sister to his prom. So he goes around trying to be THE FONZE the cool guy with the pleather jacket that goes against the grain..... living with his parents masterba#ing to that girl volleyball game on xbox.. freaking nerd.
:lol

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Man, there are some really jaded people in this thread.

Personally, I've been floored by Halo 2. From the campaign to Live play to the cinematics, the whole thing is just so incredibly polished. I've been playing San Andreas recently and while I love it, it's quality just doesn't measure to Halo 2's.

Pachinko

You think an 84% is a poor score ? My friend and I played Co-op for 3 hours yesterday and he decided the game was a 6.5 - 7 out of 10 at best. If the game still didnt' have live play I'd give it no higher then an 8 myself, despite all the supposed innovations the inherent game is practically the exact same thing, based on the stages I've finished I can say the levels are definetly better designed this time around, in that I havent had to play the same stage twice yet but one level so far in particular was basically the same hallway 5 times over and the same gunfight 10 times over.

IN other words, those sick of Halo probally shouldn't bother with Halo 2. If, however, you really really love Halo's playstyle then by all means. I think the game is worth it more for live play myself which is why based on my time with it , I'd grade it a 9 out of 10.

mumu

I agree with this man, his conclusion and the score. I'm still waiting for the C- of Halo2 though. 84% is a B+.

Deku Tree

Che said:
I don't think paxgamers is included on gamerankings' av. score. Or it was till they released the Halo2 review.

pax gamers doesn't count towards the gamerankings main score, at least that's the way it worked with Fable.

How does gamerankings figure out which reviews shouldn't count towards the main average?

DaBuddaDa

I agree with this review. While better than Halo, if you don't traditionally like the genre, Halo 2 won't change your mind. Sometimes a game is good enough that it can appeal to non-fans of the genre, like Burnout 3. Halo 2 isn't good enough to do that, imo.

Also, besides live play, it's an incremental improvement over Halo 1. If I didn't have live, I'd be disappointed with the game.

I couldn't agree any more. Great game, nothing revolutionary. I'm expecting the same from MP2.

Che

Banned
Minotauro said:
Man, there are some really jaded people in this thread.

Personally, I've been floored by Halo 2. From the campaign to Live play to the cinematics, the whole thing is just so incredibly polished. I've been playing San Andreas recently and while I love it, it's quality just doesn't measure to Halo 2's.

What you don't get is that reviews are opinions and everyone has a different one. What pisses me off is the reviewers who are afraid to give a lower score just cause the title is big. I would give Halo 1 a 8 tops and Halo 2 which I also haven't finished cause I found it boring like the first one a 6.5 cause it's soooo uninspired. And cause I wouldn't like to leave the PS2 and GC fanboys unpissed I also hate GTAs after GTA3 cause they're pure expansion packs, Mario Sunshine (well I don't need a reason to hate such a bad game) and I don't like Wind Waker.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Che said:
What you don't get is that reviews are opinions and everyone has a different one. What pisses me off is the reviewers who are afraid to give a lower score just cause the title is big. I would give Halo 1 a 8 tops and Halo 2 which I also haven't finished cause I found it boring like the first one a 6.5 cause it's soooo uninspired. And cause I wouldn't like to leave the PS2 and GC fanboys unpissed I also hate GTAs after GTA3 cause they're pure expansion packs, Mario Sunshine (well I don't need a reason to hate such a bad game) and I don't like Wind Waker.

Maybe their not afraid...maybe you just have bad opinions. Cause.

lol @ "please rent this before you buy"

wtf kinda comment is that? id understand if he said "you Might wanna rent this first"

but....begging someone to rent the game before they buy it? seems like they really got some beef with the game.

peace

Che

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Maybe their not afraid...maybe you just have bad opinions. Cause.

Or maybe I'm aiming too high. Or maybe the crowds are aiming too low. I don't know. But when I see the same freaking game with a #2 or Vice City or Sunshine (actually Sunshine wasn't the same it was worse) stuck on it's title, I can't stop thinking that the hordes of idiots celebrating and spending their money are... well idiots. It's just my opinion...

Jesiatha

Fixed2BeBroken said:
lol @ "please rent this before you buy"

wtf kinda comment is that? id understand if he said "you Might wanna rent this first"

but....begging someone to rent the game before they buy it? seems like they really got some beef with the game.

peace

Maybe it's really Blockbuster marketing disguised as a fan site? ;)

Minotauro

Che said:

You just have shitty taste.

EDIT: Name some sequels that surpassed the original in your opinion.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Che said:
Or maybe I'm aiming too high. Or maybe the crowds are aiming too low. I don't know. But when I see the same freaking game with a #2 or Vice City or Sunshine (actually Sunshine wasn't the same it was worse) stuck on it's title, I can't stop thinking that the hordes of idiots celebrating and spending their money are... well idiots. It's just my opinion...
Let's be careful not to be inappropriately critical of the games themselves just because some portion of the game community chooses to form a cult of personality around them.

Che

Banned
Minotauro said:
You just have shitty taste.

EDIT: Name some sequels that surpassed the original in your opinion.

Zelda: ocarina of time
Mario 64
Metroid 3
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 2
Winning Eleven 8
Pikmin 2
Final Fantasy 6

So you mean everyone doesn't love this game to death? I mean holy cow! What's the world coming too? Glad we have some of the folks who post in this thread to tell us what we should like and we shouldn't. Thanks so much.

Minotauro

Che said:
Zelda: ocarina of time
Mario 64
Metroid 3
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 2
Winning Eleven 8
Pikmin 2

Yep, shitty taste.

In all seriousness, the first three of those appeared on a different console than their predecessors. Of course there's going to be a greater jump.

Aside from Resident Evil 2, I haven't played the other ones you mentioned. As far as RE2 goes, though, I don't have any idea how you can like it while at the same time calling Halo 2 "boring" and "uninspiring." Then again, I guess this does largely come down to taste.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
shpankey said:
pathetic, someone looking for attention

I agree with the person that questioned this post.

The review score is still really good, you know. If I were reviewing this game I'd have given it about an 85% as well. It's still a really good game, but without XBL the experience isn't mind blowing.

Che

Banned
Minotauro said:
Yep, shitty taste.

In all seriousness, the first three of those appeared on a different console than their predecessors. Of course there's going to be a greater jump.

Aside from Resident Evil 2, I haven't played the other ones you mentioned. As far as RE2 goes, though, I don't have any idea how you can like it while at the same time calling Halo 2 "boring" and "uninspiring." Then again, I guess this does largely come down to taste.

I was certain you were gonna say this about RE2. :) Also a console change doesn't always mean better games.

montanha

GDJustin said:

I DO have live though, so its pwnage :)

what he said//

Top Bottom