• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 - Rent before you buy (Review)

SantaC

gamerankings said:
ATTN: We are waiting for PALGN AU, Euro Gamer, Gamer Europe and Kikizo Games to add in their Multiplayer sections of their reviews before adding their scores to the DB

lol, the list gets longer. First game I have seen with this kind of special treatment.

Fjord

What the hell were you guys expecting, the game to jump out and give you a blow job? Its still an FPS, what else do you want from it?

montanha

Fjord said:
What the hell were you guys expecting, the game to jump out and give you a blow job? Its still an FPS, what else do you want from it?

basically? yeah. from all the hype, print, in-store, TV, tattoos, chatter around the office for like a year, yeah, I expected WAAaaaaYY more. :/

Gantz

Banned
Fjord said:

Co-op play on Live or system link would of been nice.
More than 2 character models for multiplayer would of been nice too.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Whoa, whoa. What game are you guys playing?

My copy of Halo 2 did jump out of the TV and give me a blow job. Captain Keyes' daughter is a total slut.

Gek54

mumu said:
I agree with this man, his conclusion and the score. I'm still waiting for the C- of Halo2 though. 84% is a B+.

84% is B- if you are that anal to put a plus or minus sign on it.

I was considering skipping out on Halo 2 for the reasons that review stated. Boy am I happy I didn't. Halo 2 is everything I expected, and more. This is not saying it sports the longest list of new features, or gimmicks. This is just saying Halo 2 is a masterfully crafted game that implements the features needed in ways that are exquisitely ballanced.
The little things like jumping higher and dual wielding sound negligable on paper, but when you're playing Halo 2 and suddenly you start platforming around the room your in blasting away and you jump up one story, you pick up that plasma sword on the second story balcony, and then jump back down and slash away, woot, it's awesome. And Dual Wielding really does rock.
It is genuinely of interest to watch the cinematics where the Covenant's story gets filled in a bit. While the whole thrill of discovering the flood from the first Halo is nowhere near as dramatic in halo 2 there are a few twists in perspective which are genuinely cool and surprising. Plus the level design sports some really cool architecture, things look much more filled in, although admittedly some parts of the game do seem to be built around smaller rooms, but that actually imo isn't so bad as other parts seem more layered where you can jump around or ascend/descend ramps between lower and upper sections of the environment. The music is pretty cool, too.
It's length is no biggie for me. It's one of those games that you can play numerous times and it'll go down with a sweet after taste leaving you in want of more.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Finally! ...honesty in videogame journalism.

Buggy Loop

I havent put much time in halo 2 yet im up to
when you play as a covenant and get into the infected facility and you see the flood enemies once again
and, while halo 2 is a step up in gameplay mechanics and visuals compared to the original, it simply doesnt have the same coolness imo.
not being ON halo (not sure if you get to it at some point), the audio has less impact and timing than the original imo, i dont know why but i found some music placements to be fairly odd and very not appropriate with what was going on, and the MGS2 style twist, meh so far, i really dont like playing as a covenant, the cloacking device blows :(
Of course, the game probably has many aces up its sleeve that i have yet to see, hopefully it doesnt go downhill from now on, like some "other" game that had such a twist.

Btw, is 16:9 really supported? my TV keeps recognizing it as 4:3 and automatically zooms the picture (like i told it to), and i have to switch to full manually.

Top Bottom