• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Reviews (All Known Listed) [Warning: GS v-review has spoiler]

AniHawk

CrimsonSkies said:
Still reviewing great. Hopefully the sites that review the multiplayer portion later will give the real score for the game. I hope Gamerankings doesn't stick with single player reviews. It would really start a piss poor standard for reviewing.

Besides, that would mean Ocarina of Time is undoubtably better than Halo 2.

*rolls eyes*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AniHawk said:
Besides, that would mean Ocarina of Time is undoubtably better than Halo 2.

*rolls eyes*

No, as the whole stats thing is messed up in the first place...

Ocarina isn't even close to being the best game of all time (let alone the best Zelda game).

SantaC

dark10x said:
No, as the whole stats thing is messed up in the first place...

Ocarina isn't even close to being the best game of all time (let alone the best Zelda game).

but halo2 is? some people doesn't seem to like the single player.

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
but halo2 is? some people doesn't seem to like the single player.

No, it's not.

Who died and made your opinion fact? LoL

It isn't fact, it's opinion (as you said). Though, in this case, I'd say that it comes pretty close to being fact. Could you honestly consider Ocarina the absolute greatest gaming achievement of all time? Just consider what that entails...

eso76

i just checked gamerankings. That's what they put in their halo 2 page;

"ATTN: We are waiting for EuroGamer and Gamer Europe to add in their Multiplayer sections of their reviews before adding their scores to the DB"

Ramirez

At the time it came out,it was without a doubt the best game ever released,IMO.Of course now games have came out that might surpass it,but at the time,no way.

For me OoT just made everything else at the time look silly,Halo 2 might do the same,who knows,we'll find out in a few hours :p

Deku Tree

I think OoT deserves the top spot.

But I do agree that the gamerankings statistics thing is pretty messed up. It's like comparing baseball homerun statistics to those of 40+ years ago, even though they have made modern ballparks very homerun friendly compared to their predecessors.

A game like OoT with around 40 reviews is not really comparable to a game with around 115+ reviews. Plus these are all opinions. I don't think it's really fair to compare games of previous generations to those of this generation using gamerankings. But a comparision within this generation is "statistically fair" imo.

dark10x said:
It isn't fact, it's opinion (as you said). Though, in this case, I'd say that it comes pretty close to being fact. Could you honestly consider Ocarina the absolute greatest gaming achievement of all time? Just consider what that entails...

There is no single greatest game of all time. Of any that aspire to that, then OOT probably comes the closest. That is, (and I know there weren't dozens of websites or magazines reviewing back then), everybody who played it loved it, essentially unconditionally.

Hell, I hated the N64 and I bought it just to play OOT.

I think the point of this whole #1 gamerankings of all time just shows how ridiculous it is to declare any game the best of all time, certainly not a game that hasn't even been officially released yet.

This month has been a tough time for the GAF. The written review has become the absolute most important aspect of videogaming life*, with their cumulative effect on gamerankings defining our existence.

Why can't people just play the damn games?

(* BTW, Everybody knows that NPD sales are truly #1 :D )

eso76 said:
i just checked gamerankings. That's what they put in their halo 2 page;

"ATTN: We are waiting for EuroGamer and Gamer Europe to add in their Multiplayer sections of their reviews before adding their scores to the DB"

I saw they removed it. What a fucking joke! Like every other online game ever released has had a decent opportunity for the reviewers to play online. I know SOCOM, FFXI, Rainbox Six, etc never got those opportunities.

The whole thing is fucking ridiculous. Little whiny Xbox bitches flooded their email calling for their removal. It's all politics, man.

dark10x

Ramirez said:
At the time it came out,it was without a doubt the best game ever released,IMO.Of course now games have came out that might surpass it,but at the time,no way.

For me OoT just made everything else at the time look silly,Halo 2 might do the same,who knows,we'll find out in a few hours :p

It made everything else look silly eh? Now that's a pretty strong opinion...

I never said OoT wasn't a good game, but I don't believe it is the greatest achievement in the history of videogames by any means.

That is, (and I know there weren't dozens of websites or magazines reviewing back then), everybody who played it loved it, essentially unconditionally.

When it was released, I was as excited as everyone else...but I actually became bored with the game and stopped playing it a couple times (once in Jabu Jabu's belly, which was just an awful area and once in the Forest Temple). I dunno, the game wasn't nearly as compelling as I had expected. Prior to OoT, the last Zelda games I had played were Zelda 3 and Link's Awakening, both of which I found superior.

Hey, it's just opinion, though...

I do agree that there is no single "best" game, though.

AniHawk

I think games, music, and movies all have something in common: A category where the best reside. There's no real "one best," but there are a few that cannot be touched in what they achieved, or pushed aside for another game. You can list which games are better in/than the Army Men series, the Mortal Kombat series, the Banjo-Kazooie series- and most people will agree with you. But you know that once you have made something truly excellent, it's in the top-tier of games/movies/music that people usually regard as the best, and people will continuously argue for what is the best of those. That's where games like Ocarina of Time, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy VII, Pokemon, A Link to the Past, NiGHTS, Soul Calibur, Grand Theft Auto III, and even Halo 2 fall into.

Ramirez

Um,I thought those reviews didn't get to play multiplayer at all...it's wrong to put the score up if you didn't even get to play what is perhaps the most important part of the game.

Well what game at the time even compared to it?Metal Gear Solid perhaps for its story telling,but certainly not its gameplay :p

AniHawk

Ramirez said:
Well what game at the time even compared to it?Metal Gear Solid perhaps for its story telling,but certainly not its gameplay :p

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask

dark10x

Ramirez said:
Um,I thought those reviews didn't get to play multiplayer at all...it's wrong to put the score up if you didn't even get to play what is perhaps the most important part of the game.

Plenty of games could be compared, but many were very different. Like I said, I didn't find the game all that compelling (despite the fact that I expected to). It's not one of my favorite Zelda games either...

Looking ONLY at Nintendo 64, I'll straight up tell you that I believe that Mario 64 is simply the superior game. It also had a greater impact on the gaming industry as a whole...

Ramirez

I liked Majoras Mask alot,but to most it was too radical of a gameplay change...Mario I guess,but that was like 3 years prior to that and I've never played PDS.

SantaC

sonycowboy said:
I saw they removed it. What a fucking joke! Like every other online game ever released has had a decent opportunity for the reviewers to play online. I know SOCOM, FFXI, Rainbox Six, etc never got those opportunities.

The whole thing is fucking ridiculous. Little whiny Xbox bitches flooded their email calling for their removal. It's all politics, man.

IAWTP. Never seen so much flame for some reviews before.

Redbeard

Banned
sonycowboy said:

Show me a review where those games weren't even played online before offering up a score.

Gamerankings shouldn't have included them in the first place. Eurogamer at least made it clear it was only the sp they were reviewing.

SantaC

dark10x said:
You must be new to the internet...

I guess you didn't read the 1000 replies on Gamers Europe demanded them to change the score. The reviewer actually caved in.

Redbeard

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I guess you didn't read the 1000 replies on Gamers Europe demanded them to change the score. The reviewer actually caved in.

Yes, "caved in" to review the entire game. :/ He shouldn't have needed a bunch of whiners to tell him that.

SantaC

Redbeard said:
Yes, "caved in" to review the entire game. :/ He shouldn't have needed a bunch of whiners to tell him that.

the reviewer at Gamers Europe actually reviewed multiplayer, but not xbox live.

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:

I guess you didn't read the 1000 replies on various other forums demanding Gamespot to change their original score of Shenmue. The reviewer actually caved in. ;)

Deku Tree

sonycowboy said:

I agree. Its very telling the way they didn't remove the Kikizo review (9.5/10) even though Kikizo didn't review online multiplayer either.

SantaC

dark10x said:
I guess you didn't read the 1000 replies on various other forums demanding Gamespot to change their original score of Shenmue. The reviewer actually caved in. ;)

I did. But the shenmue score was like 5-6? This was different plus that you shouldn't let others affect yoru review.

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
I did. But the shenmue score was like 5-6? This was different plus that you shouldn't let others affect yoru review.

Shenmue was the beginning of "TEH 6.8". :p

I'd say that's pretty damn famous right there.

Redbeard

Banned
Deku Tree said:
I agree. Its very telling the way they didn't remove the Kikizo review (9.5/10) even though Kikizo didn't review online multiplayer either.

Probably because they don't know (i.e. noone complained about it).

joshschw

Deku Tree said:

The difference is nobody complained about the Kikizo review, so its most likely not even known to the editors that it didn't that in it. And there is a big red message saying that once they do review Online parts of it they will be re-inserted.

The multiplayer experience is a very subjective thing. How skilled are the people you're playing with? What kind of connection? How long? What kind of modes? It's possible to have a BAD experience that is outside of the developers control - do the fanboys want a review of quater-filled European servers and high latency USA ones?

Building on the understanding that control mechanics are already strong, a 'review' of a multiplayer mode boils down to the weapon/item/vehicle balances, the variety in the gameplay modes, and the level design. And to be fair, most games that are considered multiplayer classics weren't deemed so until months after their release. Is Halo 2 such an ego trip for Xbox fans?

shuri

Banned
warning2.gif

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
dark10x said:
Shenmue was the beginning of "TEH 6.8". :p

I'd say that's pretty damn famous right there.

whaa???

I was almost positive that "6.8 NEVER FORGET" was NiGHTS for Saturn?????

Rhindle said:
Haha. Gamerankings average shot:

"Honestly, Halo 2 isn't much than a rental option."

http://www.mygamer.com/index.php?id...ws&PHPSESSID=02f1870c50581d8f34a238892592a06e

Well, if you don't have Live, and you're only 8 hours long...

That seems to get saddled on ALL relatively short games. I know I've seen it here as a freaking religion. It's not the first time we've seen this or the last.

It's not any more true with this as it has been with any other short game.

PhatSaqs said:
Gamerankings has become way more important than it needs to be. Not to mention reviews as a whole.
IAWTP.

Wow, MGS for GBC came out of nowhere... the game is over 4 years old and just recently got into the #3 spot with only 16 reviews.

Drakken

DIrtyWeasel said:
IAWTP.

Wow, MGS for GBC came out of nowhere... the game is over 4 years old and just recently got into the #3 spot with only 16 reviews.

Actually, that's been there for a looong time.

Soul4ger

Oh God, that GameSpot review is not encouraging. I was really looking forward to the single-player campaign. Someone, comfort me, please.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Oh God, that GameSpot review is not encouraging. I was really looking forward to the single-player campaign. Someone, comfort me, please.
It kicks all kinds of ass. Just wait till
you defend the base from ninjas

sonycowboy said:

Yeah, lets encourage reviewers not to play the full game and give a review.... :lol

Give it a rest you whiny psyborg.

Top Bottom