• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Seriously lossing my mind on how this game looks graphically.

At times I mistake it for being something for next gen. Finger licking looking good.

OverHeat

« generous god »
513D4C3E-0FB0-46E5-8870-AF7462363B41-4710-000002AD2FABEBC9.jpg

My GF just pick up my LE, but I won't be able to play until the 14....pure torture.

Dreaver

Holy shit, this game is so good. Played it for like three hours tonight, I am really enjoying it. I'm so happy it isn't crap like Reach was. I will post my full impressions tomorrow, I actually have to go to sleep now but because I played Halo all night I still need to read/fix like 30 pages of a advisory and create like half a magazine tonight. DAMN YOU HALO!

Anyone having trouble even trying to private chat? Live is running like shit.

XBL running like shit is an annual thing with huge releases. Gears 3, MW2, Reach; there's always a big fall release that brings XBL to its knees. I guess we're in for some chop over the next week & half with BLOPS2 coming.

Sure glad my $60 annual fee helps to keep those servers running...

abadguy

Banned
Taking a short break from sp.(heroic) Just finished the mantis level. Loving it so far but i wanted to break my controller fighting thos fucking prometheans, once i got used to their tactics they became more managable. Grapically this game is pure eye candy. The fist forerunner structure you see after landing on the sheild world floating in front of you gives ominous vibe.

So far im loving the soundtrack way more than i thought i would. Still not quite up there with Marty's work but still very good. Hoping they work out mp by the time i am done with campaign.Really looking forward to playing on Haven.

Just noticed that I got a bunch of codes on my GameStop and Best Buy receipts.

- Forest Armor
- Venator Raptor Armor
- Deadeye Helmet
- Arctic Battle Rifle Skin
- War Games Haven XBL Theme
- XBL Ghost Avatar
- Assassin MP Emblem
- Bonebreaker MP Emblem
- Mjolnir MP Emblem

Woorloog

Banned
Just noticed that I got a bunch of codes on my GameStop and Best Buy receipts.

- Forest Armor
- Venator Raptor Armor
- Deadeye Helmet
- Arctic Battle Rifle Skin
- War Games Haven XBL Theme
- XBL Ghost Avatar
- Assassin MP Emblem
- Bonebreaker MP Emblem
- Mjolnir MP Emblem

Wanna trade specializations unlock for some armor? Venator?

EDIT, wait, remember NA people get specs unlocked if they play before 20th, right? Does not apply to EU, right?

MormaPope

Banned
Basing how many people are playing Halo 4 on the in game people counter won't get you accurate numbers at all. In Reach a few nights ago there were apparently 90,000 people online when it was 5 AM in the U.S. Halo 4 is going to sell crazy bananas, maybe not CoD bananas, but crazy bananas.

Majanew

Banned
XBL running like shit is an annual thing with huge releases. Gears 3, MW2, Reach; there's always a big fall release that brings XBL to its knees. I guess we're in for some chop over the next week & half with BLOPS2 coming.

Sure glad my $60 annual fee helps to keep those servers running...

Yeah but I don't remember Halo 3/Reach having this many problems. My brother and I had no problems connecting for co-op from what I remember. Just baffles that it seems a multi billion dollar software company isn't ready for shit like this. Guess Microsoft's cloud isn't up to snuff.

Is there any point in installing the game?

Better textures? yes or no

No better textures, just less noise and a longer life for dvd drive.

Is this true??? I can just plug my Western Digital Passport in and I'll be able to install disc 2 on it and run MP from it?

You can plug any usb drive (fat32 format) and use up 32GB space.

Should I install disc 1 also?

Only Disc 2 is mandatory, and only if you want multiplayer.

Ahh yeah you didn't like Reach that much did you Matt? Can't wait to come back to the house on Thursday and whoop yo ass online.

Enjoyed it a bit more second time round, the campaign just felt a bit like Bungie was ticking boxes for the sake of it, like "oh, here's the jetpack level!" "here's the scorpion level!", you know? Saying that though it was definitely the quintessential Halo game.

haha, yeah, we'll see, I've got until thursday to practice I guess, come at me bro!

Oh man, it's so good.

Spy

Does anyone happen to have a spare Dead-eye Helmet or Arctic Battle Rifle skin they'd be willing to trade for the Oceanic Circuit Armor (Walmart) and a Bulletproof emblem code?

Kud Dukan

People seem to forget that Halo was very impressive when it came out.

Yeah, I remember parts of that game blowing me away when I first played. The other Halo games were never terrible looking, but they didn't make you stop and look in the same way. I'm only a few levels into this one, but there have already been a few of those moments.

Better load times when you install to the HDD as well. Well, in most cases it's true. I remember Halo 3 ran worse when installed to the HDD compared to running off the disc. Not sure if it's that way here, but I'm installing both discs anyway.

MormaPope

Banned
I asked this in the community Halo thread:

I'm about to bite the bullet like always and put my faith in this new Halo. I liked Halo 2, I liked Halo 3 more, and I fucking detest Reach, how will I like Halo 4?

Answers would be welcomed.

Kud Dukan

Up to 238K players right now. It'll be interesting to see how high it gets tonight, especially with the servers having the usual first day issues.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Quoting myself:
I decided to download Waypoint while waiting for the servers to work and this seems to have fixed it,

Possible MM FIX:

Download latest Waypoint via H4 Menu, launch it, exit out, play H4. Should load up your records just fine.

Zeal

Banned
Um is there anywhere to buy just the Map Pack or exactly 2000 points? I don't want to spend $49 on 4000 points just because the $19.00 1600 points pack isn't enough. It costs 2000.

surely this has been posted ITT, but it's just too good to not post it again
Fox News "expert" Jon Peddie on Halo and voting
“The idiots who can't get a date and look at the women's breasts in the games will definitely find Halo 4 more interesting than something that requires thinking,”

Striker

I asked this in the community Halo thread

Answers would be welcomed.
Uh, depends. What did you like about Halo 2 and Halo 3 so much, and hated about Reach? There's sprint which isn't harmful with faster kill times and slow down. I would prefer a Halo without it but it ain't going to happen. There's AA's and only have used PV in MP which given the rest of the options seems like the best choice. Really can see far on maps, i.e. in Ragnarok/Valhalla, you can see mid hill to base. Gametypes are pretty awful if you like objectives. No Assault period and there's no 1-flag. Oddball and KotH on large maps just isn't very fun, and were only good on a select few in Halo 2/3/Reach.

StranGER

Wtf happened to the warthog sound?

Sounds like I'm playing a cheap monster truck game.

Also does ANYONE know if I buy a non OEM hard drive for a slim if it will not be compatible with live updates and 1st party games?

I was reading mixed reviews on amazon.

Enjoyed it a bit more second time round, the campaign just felt a bit like Bungie was ticking boxes for the sake of it, like "oh, here's the jetpack level!" "here's the scorpion level!", you know? Saying that though it was definitely the quintessential Halo game.

haha, yeah, we'll see, I've got until thursday to practice I guess, come at me bro!

Oh man, it's so good.

Gaz told me you weren't that impressed with it? I'm gonna buy it tomorrow, but do you really think it's worth it?

I suppose it's better than buying ACIII though haha

MormaPope

Banned
Depends, why didn't you like Reach?
If Armor Abilities were the issue, Halo 4 still has those. If not, well, most Reach's shortcomings have been fixed.

My problems with Reach:

- Story felt really barebones and bland, did not give a shit about anyone in the story
- Assault Rifle was slow and in multiplayer it was a huge drag to use
- Armor Lock, Armor Lock, Armor Lock, and Armor Lock.
- Vehicle sections in single player were really sparse and the environments didn't really feel large enough
- Weapon sounds were really weak and bad imo, after seeing Halo 4 footage I must say I love the new weapon sounds
- Overall the single player was just really disappointing compared to Halo 3.

fuck this lag.. unplayable for me coop with a friend and im on a wired 20mb connection that has no problems with any other games.

so awesome Halo..

does anyone else have input lag when playing coop?

TommyT

fuck this lag.. unplayable for me coop with a friend and im on a wired 20mb connection that has no problems with any other games.

so awesome Halo..

does anyone else have input lag when playing coop?

Yup. Co-op only. Everything is else if perfect. I ended up lying to a friend last night so I could play solo, it's VERY frustrating.

Raide

My problems with Reach:

- Story felt really barebones and bland, did not give a shit about anyone in the story
- Assault Rifle was slow and in multiplayer it was a huge drag to use
- Armor Lock, Armor Lock, Armor Lock, and Armor Lock.
- Vehicle sections in single player were really sparse and the environments didn't really feel large enough
- Weapon sounds were really weak and bad imo, after seeing Halo 4 footage I must say I love the new weapon sounds
- Overall the single player was just really disappointing compared to Halo 3.

Story is way better in Halo 4. Would have been nice to see more development of other characters but thats what the next Halo games are for right?

AR is actually pretty awesome at close range. The DMR and BR are your main go-to weapons but all of the other weapons are just as capable.

AA's are in but you can choose to use them or not.

Weapons sounds are awesome and meaty (Magnum still sounds weird)

Halo 4 is a solid game, much better than Reach + the Spartan Ops stuff should keep the SP content rolling for ages.

Top Bottom