• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Popeck

I kind of agree on the Knights being a tad passive and bulletspongy. Often they're just really huge targets, but when you've fighting against multiple Knights with different weapons / ranks it tends to get really interesting. Overall I enjoyed getting surprisingly aggressive with the Knights, especially on Heroic.

Lingitiz

I haven't played Halo since a month after Reach came out. It's been a long time...getting back in the groove. Still can't choose between BR or dat Deemer
The DMR is a beast. I thought I would hate it after Reach but it feels way better without the bloom.

Synless

Any one else notice that Chief's gameplay model color is more of an brownish green compared to the green color he is in videos?

Just finished a session since I've got home from work, played up to the level Infinity on Heroic.

Kudos to 343i, I'm having a blast, Campaign is everything I hoped and more!

• Alien, Otherworldliness that CE nailed is nailed again!
  • Loving the sountrack! lots of little cues back to Marty's stuff, but really excellent work here fits so well in-game, especially Forerunner
  • Graphics and overall presentation is outstanding
  • Sound and heft of the weapons is great

Really puzzled by some of the criticisms of small levels, and especially the 'oh more Halo' negtives, the Prometheans really change things up and I had to really adjust my playstyle (Auto-sentry rocks!) It's still Halo at core, but it feels really fresh.

More tomorrow!

WJD

Moving up SR seems way too easy at the moment. I had a fairly standard game of BTB earlier where I went something like 20-8 and went up 3 ranks from 9 to 12. Already seeing people at SR30+ too.

Are there on-going issues with the pre-order and 'War Games Pass' dlc? I had them available and unlocked when I first started the game, but everything has disappeared after completing a few missions in campaign. I tried deleting and redownloading, but the items no longer appear.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If that works (haven't tried it yet), it's only going to really matter if everyone does it. That working maybe indicates the issues have something to do with Waypoint or the data feed to Waypoint maybe though?
On my last Chapter of SpOps and it's still working, no problems and yes I believe the issue has something to do with Waypoint and I believe the app possibly syncs up the records between H4 and itself.

Fuchsdh

I was referring to the cutscenes in the game. I should have specified that. He is more olive (brown?) green in gameplay and more forrest green in cutscenes.

Ah. Hmm. I imagine it's conceivable they have a higher-rez model for the cutscenes, although I wouldn't imagine the shaders would change that much...

Petrichor

Really? I think the Light Rifle is the best rifle in the game, the Scattershot is awesome, and Boltshot makes a very handy shotgun in a pinch (let alone the Binary Rifle and Incineration Canon). My experience on Heroic is that the knights are just too damn strong. I crack the shields but I can't score the immediate headshot kill? Boo!

And yeah, objectives sometimes are really obscure. The best storytelling here occurs during the cutscenes and when Cortana shows off her personality rather than just an aloof mission objective giver.

NOT in multiplayer, it's far and away the worst in practically every situation. Primary fire is basically a slower version of the Halo 3 BR and the zoom-fire is a slower version of the zoomed-DMR, but with literally zero autoaim.

rakka

Not all the models look bad, but next time you see a Phantom, pay really close attention to it.
Same goes for the banshee and other covie vehicles. they just look very flat to me in 4 and don't quite look as good as they did in reach or even 3.

some parts are impressive though. it's very inconsistent.... also huge fps drops in splitscreen both sp and mp (complex is unplayable.)

Are there on-going issues with the pre-order and 'War Games Pass' dlc? I had them available and unlocked when I first started the game, but everything has disappeared after completing a few missions in campaign. I tried deleting and redownloading, but the items no longer appear.

Actually you didnt have the War Games DLC because the first bit of that comes out in December. The armor stuff will show up just keep ranking up.

Campaign-wise, this game is quite the visual stunner especially with its scenery. I went into this pretty much blind, and it's surprised me so far. I'll agree with others that the CGI work is good too.

Moving up SR seems way too easy at the moment. I had a fairly standard game of BTB earlier where I went something like 20-8 and went up 3 ranks from 9 to 12. Already seeing people at SR30+ too.
As a person who hates this grinding treadmill that COD has introduced into FPS games, all I can say is I'm glad it's fairly quick.

TUROK

Same goes for the banshee and other covie vehicles. they just look very flat to me in 4 and don't quite look as good as they did in reach or even 3.

some parts are impressive though. it's very inconsistent.... also huge fps drops in splitscreen both sp and mp (complex is unplayable.)
Yeah, there's more good than bad, but overall Reach just seemed more visually consistent to me.

Did Reach have a lot of frame drops in split screen? I don't recall too many.

So, I've got these for trade:

- Forest Armor
- Deadeye Helmet
- Arctic Battle Rifle Skin
- War Games Haven XBL Theme
- XBL Ghost Avatar
- Bonebreaker MP Emblem
- Mjolnir MP Emblem

Looking for whatever.

If nothing falls through, I'll just give them out here to some lucky GAF'ers.

2San

Quoting myself:

I decided to download Waypoint while waiting for the servers to work and this seems to have fixed it,

Possible MM FIX:

Download latest Waypoint via H4 Menu, launch it, exit out, play H4. Should load up your records just fine.
Yes yes, this fixes everything! You are a hero! Also switched back to UK to get English everything works for now. I'm off to bed now though.

Let me say it again:

Plywood:
Possible MM FIX:

Download latest Waypoint via H4 Menu, launch it, exit out, play H4. Should load up your records just fine.

Xamdou

So, I've got these for trade:

- Forest Armor
- Deadeye Helmet
- Arctic Battle Rifle Skin
- War Games Haven XBL Theme
- XBL Ghost Avatar
- Bonebreaker MP Emblem
- Mjolnir MP Emblem

Looking for whatever.

If nothing falls through, I'll just give them out here to some lucky GAF'ers.

I will trade you a dota 2 beta key for the bolded items.

Sydle

This game feels and looks so good. I haven't felt like exploring in a Halo game since the first game and I find myself slowing down just to admire the scenery from different angles.

OrangeOak

Yeah, there's more good than bad, but overall Reach just seemed more visually consistent to me.

Did Reach have a lot of frame drops in split screen? I don't recall too many.

Yes Reach is a amazing in many aspects but I think that 343i has achieved their goal pretty well.They have created a game that majority of people consider great looking/better looking than it's predecessor on a 7 year old hardware.
It was obviously imposible to make a game that looked even better than Reach while keeping everything intact. That (and hopefully more) is their task for next gen Halo.

Gaz told me you weren't that impressed with it? I'm gonna buy it tomorrow, but do you really think it's worth it?

I suppose it's better than buying ACIII though haha

It's definitely worth it, trust me you're gonna love it, don't know why Gaz said that, I just said I had some issues with the story telling which A; doesn't matter because it's a fucking Halo game and B; the ending's apparently really good (?) so yeah, just buy it.

haha, forty quid on ass creed when he doesn't have any money, jokes.

do you think he's lurking this thread? Gaz you're an idiot.

Zeal

Banned
Best looking and playing Halo ever, hands down. Campaign and multiplayer are so fucking solid. I am blown away with the overall polish of this presentation. New bar, for real.

Petrie

Banned
Best looking and playing Halo ever, hands down. Campaign and multiplayer are so fucking solid. I am blown away with the overall polish of this presentation. New bar, for real.

Absolutely. I'm dying to play more but my g/f wants some time with the TV. Absolutely killing me.

Top Bottom