• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

So I played all the Spartan Ops episodes and I didn't see those codes at all. How do you get the armor in the game after entering them, also?

Does anyone else think the game doesn't hold up that well in SP? Granted, I've only played on Normal, but the Halo style of FPS is kinda mundane on your own. MP is a completely different bag. It's a lot like Gears of War in that regard; for me, anyway.

And I can't believe how much better Big Team is than vanilla Slayer. I'm still hanging for SWAT, though; easily the most fun I've had with a Halo game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does anyone else think the game doesn't hold up that well in SP? Granted, I've only played on Normal, but the Halo style of FPS is kinda mundane on your own. MP is a completely different bag. It's a lot like Gears of War in that regard; for me, anyway.

And I can't believe how much better Big Team is than vanilla Slayer. I'm still hanging for SWAT, though; easily the most fun I've had with a Halo game.

Imo, Halo campaign is meant be played in co-op. I've always felt that way.

Rad Agast

Why are you playing on Normal? If you've played Halo before you should start a solo campaign on Heroic (I thought that was the standard no?)

If you're starting co-op then Legendary all the way.

Killer

Banned
I had the no sprint problem and the no reticle problem at the same time. Incredibly irritating. They really need to patch this.

I've also never gotten to use the mantis in BTB because I spawn in after other people. Really stupid.

Only thing that has happend to me is 3, for a split second. Guess I'm lucky.

The problem it happens to me and my friends constantly. It's frustrating. Never had any of these problems with previous halos. I guess that what happens when you are ignorant and don't do beta.
The game severely lacks objective BTB. My friends and I are getting tired of BTB IS.

I keep dying in SP lol
I need to stop running and gunning

I didn't like Halo 1 or 3 but I dig this so far
Graphics are pretty good for old hardware

Why are you playing on Normal? If you've played Halo before you should start a solo campaign on Heroic (I thought that was the standard no?)

If you're starting co-op then Legendary all the way.

Because I don't want to be frustrated from the get-go. Regardless, I don't think upping the difficulty will change my mind that much. I find the gun-play to be quite boring, so I only use the campaign to ease into the mechanics for MP.

Kujo

Is there no way to show what your connection bar/ping is in a mutiplayer match?
Anyone? Is there some button I have to press to show it ingame?

Also don't like how you can't walk and view the scoreboard at the same time

I keep dying in SP lol
I need to stop running and gunning

I didn't like Halo 1 or 3 but I dig this so far
Graphics are pretty good for old hardware

patience is the best weapon you can have in halo. what i love about this game is that during almost all encounters, there are multiple paths you can take to flank them and everytime you die, you can try something new. be mindful of your surroundings and take it slow :)

Just played 8 v 8 on exile and my team got fucked in a way i have never seen before in all my halo playing days, it was hilarious in retrospect. Final score was 1000 to 70. Warthog with concussion rounds plus tank utterly dominated us, for whatever reason we just couldnt handle it - complete fucking chaos, my average life span was probably 6 seconds.

derFeef

Something wrong with voice in this game? In coop a mate and me can't hear us, but it works in other games. It just mutes the party/channel or something. Everything is set appropriately too.

rCIZZLE

MP needs some polish and more playlists. Hopefully the update it soon. Would like the spawn system fixed and a delay added to respawn.

watership

Reading and listening to reactions really puts what 343i is facing into focus. So many complains that they didn't go far enough. This is just not the jump in Halo everyone was expecting. Yet reading the multiplayer reactions, there is lots of complaints that they changed too much.

Trey

Legendary is cheap in this game. Unless you plasma pistol+DMR/BR/LR/Carbine your way through it, it's annoying.

Only thing cheap is the Promethean's binary rifle bullshit. And even that is managed easily enough. Everything else is just a toy.

Tokubetsu

Reading and listening to reactions really puts what 343i is facing into focus. So many complains that they didn't go far enough. This is just not the jump in Halo everyone was expecting. Yet reading the multiplayer reactions, there is lots of complaints that they changed too much.

The whole thing could have probably used a couple more months to have more polish, and the singleplayer isn't perfect but I'm enjoying multiplayer a lot. Even with the changes it still feels like Halo to me.

Trey

The whole thing could have probably used a couple more months to have more polish, and the singleplayer isn't perfect but I'm enjoying multiplayer a lot. Even with the changes it still feels like Halo to me.

Maybe campaign wise, but believe me, most of the faithful were bitching about Infinity Slayer since the GI reveal. More time would have salvaged very little on the multiplayer side.

Just played 8 v 8 on exile and my team got fucked in a way i have never seen before in all my halo playing days, it was hilarious in retrospect. Final score was 1000 to 70. Warthog with concussion rounds plus tank utterly dominated us, for whatever reason we just couldnt handle it - complete fucking chaos, my average life span was probably 6 seconds.

Get shit on.

Man after playing the first mission and getting to some bridge in the second, I had this vision of hours and hours ahead of me of crawling around and shooting aliens in the head, ducking behind corners, dying a lot, and getting lost. It was like the most boring thing ever. Why do I enjoy shooting at spacemen controlled by humans online but not dinosaurs controlled by the computer? How did I ever finish the campaign in Reach?

Ah well, back to MP only for me.

Finished solo legendary, loved all of it.

Multiplayer is great but they need to get on top of this uneven team nonsense. How a game should even be starting when it is 2v4 is beyond me. I went through 5 games of dominion in a row that started with uneven teams. Other games people just quit whenever if they don't feel like they're winning fast enough. It isn't as big of a deal in infinity slayer but when there's 24,000 people playing dominion, the game shouldn't be starting uneven just for the sake of quick matchmaking times.

no you're right this needs to be patched, my buddies and I don't even go into infinity slayer if our party is 3 people because it'll almost always puts us in a 3v4 and never adds a 4th for us.

3 coordinated people versus 4 randoms is no joke. I always stay for my 3v4s.. We have fewer targets..

The game is fine as it is. It's not perfect, but, you'll never please everyone. I'm not a fan of CoD, but they found a fair balance between the two games and I like it. Single player is probably in the top 3 campaigns of the series, and mp like u said earlier finds that balance between people like me whom enjoy Halo style mp and people who like the CoD style. I know they can't make it exactly how I'd like it to be, but as far as a crowd pleaser, this studio did a great job as far as balance is concerned.

No game will ever be what everyone wants, I feel this one strikes a fine balance.

leng jai

Loving the multiplayer so far as a new Halo player. The fast pace is great and DMR headshots are just beastly. In Big Team Slayer it seems like over half my deaths are from being randomly run over by vehicles though...

Dreaver

I really wish they brought back the 2V2. Hate playing with randoms who just sit at spawn and don't even touch their controller. I'm sittin at level 21 with 500ish kills and about 250 deaths. I need more reliable teammates.
I am far from being pro but I'd say I am certainly above average, add me (and others feel free to as well, I need more people on my list playing H4): Heroic Killa

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm still loving the game but am starting to have difficulties with mp.
I've only dabbled a little bit in past Halo's and am now running into better and better competition who are kicking my butt.

I'm now finishing most games either dead even or with more deaths than kills - my k/d ratio is really taking a dive as a result :(

Any tips to help me out?

Someone earlier mentioned shooting to the body and only finishing with a headshot - is this true even for DMR? I usually go only for the headshot and inevitably I will miss at least one of those per encounter. Should I be aiming for body first, or maybe try another weapon?

Someone also mentioned sticking close to walls and not running out into open spaces. I can understand why I shouldn't be running into open spaces, but if I stick close to walls will I not be easier to kill with grenades?

Speaking of grenades, when is it best to use them? Should I use them at start of a fight? At end to finish them off? Or only use them to throw around corners?

Any other tips that will help me? I really love the game and know I'm probably not going to be a 'pro' but would like it at least finish my games having not completely dragged my other team mates down.

Lastly. If I'm now getting matched up with people above my skill level (didn't have this problem first few days and was kicking butt) will the game recognise this soon and start matching me with other people that are more at my level?

I'm totallly hooked to MP ( And that is a novelty for me in the series )

Feel free to add me: ONECRAZYSPIRIT.

WARNING!!!
I kind of suck :p

El_Chino

*Cross posting for help*

Hey guys, a friend of mine has the LE of Halo 4 and he correctly typed in the "Specializations/Map pack/Emblems" code but not all of his specializations are showing up? Is there any reason for this? A fix? Thanks ahead of time!

Started my Legendary run. Playing through Requiem, the part where you fight the
pair of hunters at the top, before the end of the mission
. Ended up taking a shortcut up top, which broke the spawns. Didn't even have to fight through that part. Yay.

wait when i got to that part (level 2 enemy spoiler)
i saw the first 2, ran around to the ramp and was introduced to not 2 but 4 hunters. I was playing on normal so I did find it kind of odd that such a hard battle was introduced so early. I hvent replayed it yet to see if it would happen again

wait when i got to that part (level 2 enemy spoiler)
i saw the first 2, ran around to the ramp and was introduced to not 2 but 4 hunters. I was playing on normal so I did find it kind of odd that such a hard battle was introduced so early. I hvent replayed it yet to see if it would happen again

Oh man, you thought that was hard on normal? You haven't seen hard yet until you see the Forerunners on Legendary. Bastards and their Light/Binary Rifles.

LordAlu

Someone earlier mentioned shooting to the body and only finishing with a headshot - is this true even for DMR? I usually go only for the headshot and inevitably I will miss at least one of those per encounter. Should I be aiming for body first, or maybe try another weapon?
Yes, go for body shots first as it will be easier to hit them. You need to take out their shields first before you go for the headshot (unless you're using a sniper in which case you go for the headshot most of the time anyway). Four body shots with the DMR will take off their shields, then a single headshot will kill them.

Someone also mentioned sticking close to walls and not running out into open spaces. I can understand why I shouldn't be running into open spaces, but if I stick close to walls will I not be easier to kill with grenades?
Stick to walls and cover if you can. If you're out in the open you're just a huge target since everyone uses the BR/DMR which are excellent at range. Grenades are less of an issue since when you get into a firefight you'll move around (and likely away from any thrown grenades) anyway.

Speaking of grenades, when is it best to use them? Should I use them at start of a fight? At end to finish them off? Or only use them to throw around corners?
Personally I don't use them during a fight at all, as throwing one takes away your ability to shoot. Use them around corners or if they're hidden attempting to get their shields to recharge.

Any other tips that will help me? I really love the game and know I'm probably not going to be a 'pro' but would like it at least finish my games having not completely dragged my other team mates down.
Take it slow. Look out of corners and doorways before you head out. Crouch a lot when indoors - this removes you from the radar whilst moving so your opponents won't spot your movement (unless they're using the WallHax augmentation). If you start getting shot at from somewhere, don't try to turn and shoot - you've already lost some shields so you're far more likely to die before you can kill them. Instead run for cover - most players will try to run after you (which is a silly idea, don't run after them because) once you're safe from being shot, watch the radar and lob a grenade as they come after you. Finally, practice the maps and learn where things are so you can get an idea where enemies generally tend to go or where they may be if you're being shot from somewhere and can't immediately spot them.

Lastly. If I'm now getting matched up with people above my skill level (didn't have this problem first few days and was kicking butt) will the game recognise this soon and start matching me with other people that are more at my level?
Yes, it levels out the more you play as it gets used to your general skill level.

Any tips to help me out?
First off, yes, as you keep playing matchmaking will figure out your true skill and match you as evenly as possible.
Although I believe that the ranks are playlist dependent. If you play a lot of Infinity Slayer, and then go into Slayer Pro, it might not match you properly at first.

The DMR is a tough weapon to use, I'd recommend trying out the Battle Rifle, it is much friendlier :).

Make sure you're consistently checking your radar to see the positioning of enemies and use that to your advantage! Arrow above/below the dot means enemy is above/below you.
Positioning is a HUGE aspect of Halo.
Straight up 1v1 face offs are very difficult, try using positioning to ensure you do damage first!

Half of dodging grenades is learning when people use them. That comes from experience.
If you're really having a tough time with grenades there are several things you can do.
1) when you see a grenade indicator, immediately react! move the opposite direction and jump if necessary, the vertical height will help propel you as far from the damage radius as possible.
2) there is an armor mod that decreases explosive damage done to you, and increase your explosive damage... I forget what it is called... Maybe "Explosives" lol? Idk.
3) try thruster pack or hard light shield. I personally use thruster pack all the time, if I see a grenade and can't dodge it using the traditional methods, I'll thrust in the opposite direction and dodge it. Just try to be careful you don't thrust out out of cover and get shot. Make sure to strafe back into cover as soon as you're safe from the grenade!

Stick to power weapons you're comfortable with, don't experiment if you're having a bad game.

Sometimes it is just best to run. If you're losing a battle, you can take cover, let the enemy charge at you, and use their aggressiveness to your advantage with a well placed grenade or melee.

Really try to pick your battles.
The primaries all have their effective ranges.
AR/Storm Rifle/Suppresor are all really good at short range, and will beat precision rifles even if they land all their shots.
Battle Rifle/Carbine are really good at short-mid range.
DMR/Light Rifle are really good at mid-long range.
The DMR, carbine and light rifle are all skill weapons, and might be difficult to use effectively.

Focus in the gun fights, keep cool.
Often battles will come down to a single shot difference.

That is all I can think of now :D

*Cross posting for help*

Hey guys, a friend of mine has the LE of Halo 4 and he correctly typed in the "Specializations/Map pack/Emblems" code but not all of his specializations are showing up? Is there any reason for this? A fix? Thanks ahead of time!
I had this same issue, I went to download history and redowloaded the content and then they showed up.
I forget which content you have to redownload, I think it might be called something along the lines of "infinity pack".

Oops sorry for double post

Oh man, you thought that was hard on normal? You haven't seen hard yet until you see the Forerunners on Legendary. Bastards and their Light/Binary Rifles.

out of context it may seem that way but using the normal difficulty, it was by far one of the hardest "normal" encounters I have experienced across the series. I typically do a normal run, a heroic run, then a legendary solo or co-op run. I'm not amazing at Halo, but I dont completely suck either, I'd like to think im above the curve

Please, Supressor all up in their grill and finish them with the Rifle. Feel so good.

Feels so bad, man. I wish I was that bold.

out of context it may seem that way but using the normal difficulty, it was by far one of the hardest "normal" encounters I have experienced across the series. I typically do a normal run, a heroic run, then a legendary solo or co-op run. I'm not amazing at Halo, but I dont completely suck either, I'd like to think im above the curve

This is the first Halo game I've attempted at Legendary - the others I just beat on Heroic. There are some tough parts, but what I like out of this shooter is that it isn't just about devising a spray and pray tactic - you actually have to play smart and make use of your surroundings and wit when sprinting from one area to the next. Whenever I see the opportunity to avoid a gunfight and run past it, I do so.

Top Bottom