• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Redford

aka Cabbie
POSITIVITY TIME

Complex seems like it's gone relatively unnoticed as a multiplayer map, but I think it looks quite good. I quite like the verticality, there's a lot of fighting on multiple levels and travelling between them looks like a lot of fun. Also the map's still quite open, with a good balance between outdoor and indoor combat.

All the other maps I have a fairly good idea of how they'll play, but Complex is in the grey area. It looks pretty good aesthetically with the sunshine and green,
so it's got that over Reach's shite.

Conor 419

Banned
David: "You won't see your ranks."

Why?

He actually gives a full answer, they've done it to avoid cheating, boosting and the like.

All the other maps I have a fairly good idea of how they'll play, but Complex is in the grey area. It looks pretty good aesthetically with the sunshine and green, so it's got that over Reach's shite.

Yeah, it's great to see colour again. With Haven and Adrift being the first maps shown, I was worried we were heading down that route again.

It could have been previously recorded over a month ago!

...annnd the fun has been sucked out of the thread.

office-space-Gary-Cole-Bill-Lumbergh-go-on-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-193.gif

delta25

Banned
Starts off pretty strong. I love the helmet view that MC has now. Graphics are nice, not amazing though.

Judging from some of your previous post, I'm going to assume your a PC gamer primarily, so I'm going to have to take the "Graphics are nice, not amazing " comment with a grain of salt. The game looks freaking amazing.

anywho, how's the frame rate so far?

I noticed that Extraction doesn't seem to have any Armor Abilities. Why?

It's because they were on new accounts. You need to buy the Armor abilities with your Spartan Points to use them. I'm not if default map loadouts have them

Will infinity slayer be confined to one playlist? I don't really want to play it at all.

yes. but i think regicide has similar properties (x to spawn, personal ordnance)

edit: also what is mentioned below. unless 343 changes playlists at launch

willow ve

Will infinity slayer be confined to one playlist? I don't really want to play it at all.

Infinity gametypes (from the scant information that we have seen) are confined to Infinity Slayer and Infinity Big Team. Outside those lists there is only one other option to have a 4v4 slayer game and that is through Slayer Pro. Pro involves no radar, only a few weapon/loadouts at spawn (DMR, BR, and AR), and at one point it was rumoured to have slightly faster base movement speed.

If you want to play "traditional Halo" (without kill cams, kill streaks, perks, loadouts, and ordnance - both global and personal, instant spawns, etc.) then you are confined to customs. And even in customs you cannot change certain things like CTF mechanics. Slayer Pro drops some of these issues, but also wipes the slate pretty clean of armor abilities and most of the weapon sandbox.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I actually wouldn't mind the Personal Ordnance if it was more utilized to deliver oft-overlooked weapons in the sandbox like the needler and other mid-power weapons. Stuff like Binary Rifles and Snipers is dumb and I hope it's only for the first few weeks until things get more reasonable.

Since ammo will be harder to find now that everyone can start with a different primary, it would be a good way to resupply, like the grenade option. If a Ordnance drop had a setup like needler/shotgun-tier PWs, Plasma/EMP, BR/DMR, or the occasional Speedboost, I think it would be much less Fiesta-esque.

(Powerups in PO other than speedboost can fuck off, that stuff should be placeable no matter how fun.)

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
He actually gives a full answer, they've done it to avoid cheating, boosting and the like.

I can buy into that. I really liked the visible only to you idea and am a bit disappointed that didn't pan out. Games w/o the manipulation are great, but on the other hand, if skill matchmaking does it's job properly it'll mean nearly everyone's k/d should be ~1.

It will irk me a bit not knowing if people in my skill bracket are a bunch of poor souls w/o thumbs.

Sanjuro

Pirates played it two weeks ago. A lot of reviewers had a week (possibly more) before that.

I'm not sure who you meant to impress with this.

Obviously I'm trying to impress you. Because commenting on a Halo 4 ESPN special is the only way to impress you clearly. Is it working? Can we start dating?

Tunavi

Banned
Infinity gametypes (from the scant information that we have seen) are confined to Infinity Slayer and Infinity Big Team. Outside those lists there is only one other option to have a 4v4 slayer game and that is through Slayer Pro. Pro involves no radar, only a few weapon/loadouts at spawn (DMR, BR, and AR), and at one point it was rumoured to have slightly faster base movement speed.

If you want to play "traditional Halo" (without kill cams, kill streaks, perks, loadouts, and ordnance - both global and personal, instant spawns, etc.) then you are confined to customs. And even in customs you cannot change certain things like CTF mechanics. Slayer Pro drops some of these issues, but also wipes the slate pretty clean of armor abilities and most of the weapon sandbox.
Slayer Pro it is...

rakka

The other player doesn't know anything. He doesn't know if you'll throw a grenade (or which ones you even have equipped), shoot, switch weapons, jump, or start dancing. So your point holds no weight. He used a AA that its main purpose is to "buy you time" and used it correctly. Thus, outplayed his opponent.

Okay in terms of armor lock, how the fuck is getting into a firefight with me, i bring the player down to one shot left, he armor locks at the last second to escape certain death, and to most likely buy him enough time to wait for two other damn teammates to finish me off, and wait, if I play well enough to kill them too while having already taken some damage, oh look, they armour lock before imminent death which i fucking deserve the kill damn it, i took on two-three damn players. now the first player finishes his armor lock and thinks he's fucking good because he ends up killing me, or repeat until one of them do. don't say what about my teammates because its a given that you'll have a crap team now and again. i should be able to still win the game should my skill be there. but armor lock nearly takes all the skill out of it and makes it a fucking joke. and i get so annoyed at the crap that I choose the armor lock loadout when i'm respawning and before you know it the whole damn game is just armor locking left and right. there's nothing in armor lock that is outplaying your opponent, it's basically, "oh, the other player outplayed me, better go into invincible mode now to either prevent certain death or even just slow things the fuck down.

Okay in terms of armor lock, how the fuck is getting into a firefight with me, i bring the player down to one shot left, he armor locks at the last second to escape certain death, and to most likely buy him enough time to wait for two other damn teammates to finish me off, and wait, if I play well enough to kill them too while having already taken some damage, oh look, they armour lock before imminent death which i fucking deserve the kill damn it, i took on two-three damn players. now the first player finishes his armor lock and thinks he's fucking good because he ends up killing me, or repeat until one of them do. don't say what about my teammates because its a given that you'll have a crap team now and again. i should be able to still win the game should my skill be there. but armor lock nearly takes all the skill out of it and makes it a fucking joke. and i get so annoyed at the crap that I choose the armor lock loadout when i'm respawning and before you know it the whole damn game is just armor locking left and right. there's nothing in armor lock that is outplaying your opponent, it's basically, "oh, the other player outplayed me, better go into invincible mode now to either prevent certain death or even just slow things the fuck down.

Good thing armor lock isn't in Halo 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's because they were on new accounts. You need to buy the Armor abilities with your Spartan Points to use them. I'm not if default map loadouts have them
Heh, weird. Why didn't they just play custom games? Did they actually go into matchmaking?

Sanjuro

Sigh...

This is why we can't have nice things.

Nice things like - FLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPED
FLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPED

I'll live.

Heh, weird. Why didn't they just play custom games? Did they actually go into matchmaking?
They were in custom games. I guess in the first couple games he was playing preset loadouts that have armor abilities, but in extraction he used his own loadout that didn't have one unlocked yet

Nice things like - FLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPED
FLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPEDFLAGCAPTUREDFLAGDROPPED

I'll live.
will you? because he'll be announcing at about that frequency for everything in halo 4 anyway.

Ace 8095

It seems like skill based ranks are gone for good from online games. Trying to reach 50 on team slayer in Halo 3 is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had. It's sad that I'll probably never be able to experience something like that again.

I actually wouldn't mind the Personal Ordnance if it was more utilized to deliver oft-overlooked weapons in the sandbox like the needler and other mid-power weapons. Stuff like Binary Rifles and Snipers is dumb and I hope it's only for the first few weeks until things get more reasonable.

Since ammo will be harder to find now that everyone can start with a different primary, it would be a good way to resupply, like the grenade option. If a Ordnance drop had a setup like needler/shotgun-tier PWs, Plasma/EMP, BR/DMR, or the occasional Speedboost, I think it would be much less Fiesta-esque.

(Powerups in PO other than speedboost can fuck off, that stuff should be placeable no matter how fun.)

From what little I've seen, this IS how it works. Along with the Personal Ordnance drops come the regular Ordnance drops ( the real power weapons: rockets etc) which are a bit randomized in their contents but happen at set times throughout the game. If you watched the stream, in the Ragnarock game the Binary rifle dropped in front of the player but that was not a PO. Just a case of right time, right place.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

RetroMG

So I just lost my job. on the one hand, totally depressing, worried about money, etc.

On the other hand, I have plenty of time to play Halo on Tuesday.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They were in custom games. I guess in the first couple games he was playing preset loadouts that have armor abilities, but in extraction he used his own loadout that didn't have one unlocked yet
Ah, gotcha.

will you? because he'll be announcing at about that frequency for everything in halo 4 anyway.
Right? If you found the flag juggling announcements annoying, Halo 4 is not the game for you.

Pop

I'll live.

You got that wrong but anyways...

I would just like the ability to drop the flag at least, I never said anything about juggling the flag.

Redford

aka Cabbie
From what little I've seen, this IS how it works. Along with the Personal Ordnance drops come the regular Ordnance drops which are a bit randomized in their contents but happen at set times throughout the game. If you watched the stream, in the Ragnarock game the Binary rifle dropped in front of the player but that was not a PO. Just a case of right time, right place.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, that might be the case. But I'm going off of this part of the video in last weeks bulletin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0enMjIJH0_k#t=346s

Top Bottom