• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

def sim

So do the Promethean and Covenant weapons just suck ass or something? I hardly see anyone using anything other than DMR and Battle Rifle.

Also, why use DMR over Battle Rifle (or vice versa)? I can't really tell the difference between the two.

The DMR requires the fewest shots to kill at any range, zoomed in or out.

edit: though it just may be more reliable because of no spread or recoil

Red

So do the Promethean and Covenant weapons just suck ass or something? I hardly see anyone using anything other than DMR and Battle Rifle.

Also, why use DMR over Battle Rifle (or vice versa)? I can't really tell the difference between the two.

DMR has a smaller clip but a better zoom. BR also shoots 3 bullets at a time. I don't know if there are differences in rate of fire or damage output.

edit: guess DMR is more powerful :p

For the hell of it, I played Halo 3 & Reach back to back after Halo 4 just to see how the multiplayer compares (NOT SINGLE PLAYER).

Halo 3 has vastly better lighting, effects, textures & overall vividness. Blew me away how such a huge difference existed for an older entree in the series.
The gameplay on the other hand was way more lopsided from what I played last night & the additions that Reach & 4 made are missing sorely.

Halo Reach doesn't have the graphic shine as Halo 3, but runs surprising equal when compared side by side to Halo 4.
I feel it holds it's own against Halo 4 multi gameplay. Better playlists, more useful perks, better maps & the game just feels more diverse overall.I think I'm dropping Halo 4 & going back to Reach until they start adding new stuff/balancing in Halo 4.

Halo 4 multi just has has muted as fuck graphics & lacks the effects in comparisons to the others.
Only things that Halo 4 has over the other games is instant re-spawns & players being able to join in midway though a game if someone quits (big deal when I was playing last night with Reach & 3).

Woorloog

Banned

The Lightrifle is a very good weapon, versatile, if you know how to use it. The DMR is a bit better though, easier to use. Not a good thing.
Of the Covie primary weapons, the Carbine sucks, it is too weak. Useful finisher but why bother with that when you can have a killer weapon. The Storm Rifle is powerful up close, but lacks the range of, say, SAW, or even AR.
The Suppressor is very powerful up close, but has even less range than the Storm Rifle (IMO, hard to say in retrospect). Kinda forgiving though, due to the Suppressor's large magazine, the Storm Rifle can't shoot for long.

The BR is nearly as bad as the Carbine, it lacks the range and precision of the LightRifle and DMR. Beats the former in short-mid range, beats the latter if the BR user gets the first shot. EDIT the BR and DMR are both 5 shot kill weapons, the DMR has more zoom (as does the Lightrifle, the Lightrifle is 4 shot kill while zoomed).

The BR having both recoil (as neiglible as it is) and spread is overkill. Remove either one, buff the Carbine to 7sk (or increase its rate of fire) and the weapon balance will be considerably better.

Majanew

Banned
Armor almost doesn't look Steel on Waypoint. And F U, 343 for not letting black be chosen. lol, at shade comment

My guy:
khavS.png

I'm wanting the Isaac Clarke suit

DMR has a smaller clip but a better zoom. BR also shoots 3 bullets at a time. I don't know if there are differences in rate of fire or damage output.

edit: guess DMR is more powerful :p

DMR has a faster time to kill & better accuracy/recoil as well.

DMR is the best primary weapon to use by far. Kinda stupid to have a loadouts for the first time in the series & only one legitimate choice when you want to be competitive.

Bread

Banned

I've only used the light rifle since unlocking it, I love the versatility. Especially having the AR as my backup, I essentially have the BR, DMR, and AR at my disposal at all times.

jediyoshi

Noticed the lightrifle used a lot more lately. Seems nearly as effective as the br, does have the benefit of the light trails disorienting who you're shooting at. I just arbitrarily switch between the dmr/br just to mix things up

Trey

DMR has a faster time to kill & better accuracy/recoil as well.

DMR is the best primary weapon to use by far. Kinda stupid to have a loadouts for the first time in the series & only one legitimate choice when you want to be competitive.

BR's merits show close to mid range. Much easier to land shots than the DMR.

I'd like to thank Borderlands 2 for my skills in Halo 4. Putting in 60 to 70 hours going for critical hit shots to the head in that game has only helped me in H4.

Woorloog

Banned
BR's merits show close to mid range. Much easier to land shots than the DMR.

After startin to use the Lightrifle and the DMR, i've noticed how much better i perform with those compared to the BR.
And the more i play, the less i see the BR. Not good. The Carbine is non-existent as it is...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Who the fuck votes for Complex multiple times in a row in slayer? Who the fuck are these people and more to the point what the fuck is their problem!

Not sure where the complaints about game length were coming from. I am at 9h 40m according to waypoint. You can take an hour, maybe hour and a half away from that if it counts pause menu time, but that's still enough meat for a Halo game.

I wouldn't complain about the length personally, but I finished at 7h 56m.

FroJay

Banned
What ever it is it works for me. Multiplayer is so much fun.

Just played two quick games of TDM and my k/d was much higher for some reason than it normally is, but I assume that is because I was being matched with lower level players who were also playing their first few games. I do like the the multi, much faster than typical Halo, but not COD style because it still takes plenty of ammo to kill people. Hopefully the fun continues, but the gameplay was fast enough where I didn't want to stop, but no so fast where you felt like you were instantly dead.

Wow this whole day, nothing but laggy games.

same here. the first full weekend after launch and apparently the netcode is buckling under the weight of the full community playing.

I've grown to hate Ragnarok and Haven. Every time these maps come up they get chosen. Since adding the ability to join a game mid match and the fact that they have a very small amount of MP maps to chose from at launch they need to remove the voting and just rotate through them.

The Lightrifle is a very good weapon, versatile, if you know how to use it. The DMR is a bit better though, easier to use. Not a good thing.
Of the Covie primary weapons, the Carbine sucks, it is too weak. Useful finisher but why bother with that when you can have a killer weapon. The Storm Rifle is powerful up close, but lacks the range of, say, SAW, or even AR.
The Suppressor is very powerful up close, but has even less range than the Storm Rifle (IMO, hard to say in retrospect). Kinda forgiving though, due to the Suppressor's large magazine, the Storm Rifle can't shoot for long.

The BR is nearly as bad as the Carbine, it lacks the range and precision of the LightRifle and DMR. Beats the former in short-mid range, beats the latter if the BR user gets the first shot. EDIT the BR and DMR are both 5 shot kill weapons, the DMR has more zoom (as does the Lightrifle, the Lightrifle is 4 shot kill while zoomed).

The BR having both recoil (as neiglible as it is) and spread is overkill. Remove either one, buff the Carbine to 7sk (or increase its rate of fire) and the weapon balance will be considerably better.

...so am I the only one that absolutely loves the carbine? I use it with the fast reload perk and seem to do pretty well.

LuchaShaq

Banned
One of several ways the game has made it easier to get kills. This becomes frustrating for people who had the skills to stay alive in previous Halo games.

By far the biggest reason streaks are rarer in this game is that you don't have to spawn with an smg ala halo 2 or an assault rifle like H3.

Being able to spawn with BR or DMR in any non silly mode is by far the best change to the multiplayer.

def sim

It'd be a bit hard to set it up during a match, though. You'd have to drop on a stationary banshee.

It'd be hard to pull off and be nearly useless, but it would make just the best victory lap.

Map's better than Blood Gulch and a much welcome re-addition to the latest installment

I don't hate the map in any serious sense, but it starts to wear out its welcome when I play in it almost all the time.

just checked my weapon specific k/d, around 200 deaths from DMR, about 1500 kills with DMR. then whats
my most common cause of death? yep, you guessed it, fucking power weapons. it's funny, the dropped weapons disappear so quickly so not too many power weapons are in play, but pretty much everyone has one anyway due to ordnance and waypoints for weapons (but then at the same time 343 removes the team death Xs) makes no sense.
the only time theres multiple players with for eg rockets in reach was when the game switched hosts and it respawned again lol.

I hear ya. Just wait for SWAT. Or play dominion where the power weapon spawns are a lot easier to predict.

Future

Goin solo legendary... Goddam. Fuck those knights. Don't react while shot and can teleport away fast if shot. Have a little buddy that can revive them, heal them, catch your grenades and shoot at you. Littl buddy soars through the skies if you shoot at it. They can 1 hit melee you to death, and often berserk and try to do that. If you manage to get his shield down, it comes back super quick leaving little time co capitalize. They have infinite double detonation grenades that keep you at bay so they can regenerate their shields. It's like they took every ability and defense possible and put it in one AI.... AI often spawned in multiples and with other AI. Fuck

How exactly does matchmaking work? Not being in a COD-like lobby is kind of confusing to me. Oftentimes, I'll finish a full match, stay in the lobby, and before I know it I'm being placed in an in-progress game. If I'm sticking with my previous game's teammates, shouldn't we go through the whole map voting process again?

Red

Goin solo legendary... Goddam. Fuck those knights. Don't react while shot and can teleport away fast if shot. Have a little buddy that can revive them, heal them, catch your grenades and shoot at you. Littl buddy soars through the skies if you shoot at it. They can 1 hit melee you to death, and often berserk and try to do that. If you manage to get his shield down, it comes back super quick leaving little time co capitalize. They have infinite double detonation grenades that keep you at bay so they can regenerate their shields. It's like they took every ability and defense possible and put it in one AI.... AI often spawned in multiples and with other AI. Fuck

Kill the watchers first and kill the knights as fast as you can. I don't find them too difficult... biggest trouble I had was figuring out they had energy shields when I first encountered them (the effect is very subtle). Snipers kill them in 2-3 hits, stickies will strip their shields, bolt shot takes two charges to kill them. There are a lot of ways of dealing with them. I think probably the most difficult encounter with one is the very first, where you are fighting at a distance with only bolt shots and suppressors available.

The watchers are pitifully easy and underutilized. I wish they offered some more substance.

I hope 343 manages to do more interesting things with their enemy sandbox next game.

Top Bottom