• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

harrytang

Posted this in the community thread:

This game has it. Slayer Pro proves that. I think what 343 ought to do is make H4 a barebones version of what it is. Only Primaries, secondaries and grenades allowed for loadouts. This would keep the loadout system, which I actually like. Get rid of personal/global ordnance. Make snipers get unscoped when shot. Set weapon spawns.

This would make H4 a lot better.

No thanks. Game is great. I really enjoy the variety of load out perks and weapons drops. An "even" playing field mp with weapons only super boring. So what if a rocket launcher drops in the other teams lap? The skill comes into play when you suddenly need to identify this new threat, communicate to your team, and effectively neutralize its presence. Being ready to handle any situation is a test of your skill level. The more you play the better you get.

Having perks and the like add nuance and layers to the game. In my opinion this adds to the complexity and increase life span for me. Could use more maps.

Tokubetsu

HOLY SHIT, what is the fucking point of a feature like allowing people to join mid match, if I can go an entire fucking match playing 2v4.

FUCK THIS

This happened to me day after release. My friend and I still won.

Also, I hated the unscope when shot shit. Glad it's gone.

Sissel

No thanks. Game is great. I really enjoy the variety of load out perks and weapons drops. An "even" playing field mp with weapons only super boring. So what if a rocket launcher drops in the other teams lap? The skill comes into play when you suddenly need to identify this new threat, communicate to your team, and effectively neutralize its presence. Being ready to handle any situation is a test of your skill level. The more you play the better you get.

Having perks and the like add nuance and layers to the game. In my opinion this adds to the complexity and increase life span for me. Could use more maps.
It's fine that you prefer that, but there should be a playlist for people who like more competitive, balanced Halo.

harrytang

It's fine that you prefer that, but there should be a playlist for people who like more competitive, balanced Halo.

Not just me that likes it. Microsoft, 343 really like it too. This is their vision for the game. They can make whatever playlist they want with their game, but I wouldn't count on them removing their core pillars and foundation. The game is balanced. Spent god knows how long balancing it. Hasn't been out for a week. Change is hard but trust they know a thing or two about games.

Yeah you guys are crazy, this games multiplayer is exactly what I've been looking for. CoD is complete bullshit with all the crazy killstreak rewards, but this...this is the perfect balance. I'll be playing this for a long time.

Never played Halo MP before, btw.

So far
I just got to the Halo ring
and closed it for the night. So far I'll say that while the interaction between the characters is excellent, I don't feel like much story is being...progressed here. Doesn't seem like much substance has happened.

And I was expecting way more emotion and intimacy between Chief and Cortana. There is 10x more in this game alone so far than past Halos, but I'm expecting more. Though there's still, what, 2 missions left?

We'll see.

Sissel

Not just me that likes it. Microsoft, 343 really like it too. This is their vision for the game. They can make whatever playlist they want with their game, but I wouldn't count on them removing their core pillars and foundation. The game is balanced. Spent god knows how long balancing it. Hasn't been out for a week. Change is hard but trust they know a thing or two about games.
That's what people said about Reach at launch. Some people (like me) pointed out its problems within the first week. it took other months to finally realize just how flawed it was.

And no, fixed weapon spawns are better than random ordinance drops, for competitive play, no matter how you spin it. MS/343 can make whatever game they like, but if they were trying to make one tailored for people looking for a competitively balanced game, they failed.

jediyoshi

Aw, was just thinking how flood was probably the buggiest of the playlists and finally ran into the survivor exploit on complex. No bueno

This game is a mess. There's no map control, and you have NO IDEA what the enemy could possibly be in possession of. Makes getting into vehicles death traps. "Oh, the enemy has a Spartan Laser, Incineration Cannon, and Rockets? Okay then."

DeadNames

Banned
That's what people said about Reach at launch. Some people (like me) pointed out its problems within the first week. it took other months to finally realize just how flawed it was.

And no, fixed weapon spawns are better than random ordinance drops, for competitive play, no matter how you spin it. MS/343 can make whatever game they like, but if they were trying to make one tailored for people looking for a competitively balanced game, they failed.

This.

I probably wouldn't mind personal ordnance as much if we still had static weapon spawns.

_woLf

This game is a mess. There's no map control, and you have NO IDEA what the enemy could possibly be in possession of. Makes getting into vehicles death traps. "Oh, the enemy has a Spartan Laser, Incineration Cannon, and Rockets? Okay then."

Exactly. It's a complete clusterfuck. There's no point in using anything except the DMR, incineration/laser/rockets, ever. When you're in a vehicle, just about every person in the game has a heavy weapon that can one shot you.

This shit is just way too chaotic, I preferred old Halo gameplay with learning where the ONE rocket on the map was. That was fun and required work to defend that area to get the weapon. Now it's a fucking lottery.

Not really impressed with multiplayer. It's just too much like Call of Duty -- completely chaotic, no sense of strategy at all. No idea why this seems to be the popular thing to do these days. Clusterfuck gameplay isn't fun to me, that's why I despise PvP in Guild Wars 2.

strata8

How is this different from any multiplayer game ever?

Sissel

Part of the challenge.
Dude that's not challenge, that's sheer luck. There's no way to know if they have a power weapon, you just have to hope for the best when you get in that warthog. It's dumb.

How is this different from any multiplayer game ever?
It's simple. The spartan laser would spawn in the middle of the map. If your team got it, you knew your team had it. If the other team got it, you knew the other team had it.

strata8

It's simple. The spartan laser would spawn in the middle of the map. If your team got it, you knew your team had it. If the other team got it, you knew the other team had it.

So now it's dumb because everyone has a chance to get a power weapon and destroy vehicles? I don't see how it's fair for the team with the spartan laser to be able to jump in vehicles and dominate everyone else without fear of being stopped.

If you can't get at least a few kills in a Warthog or Banshee, you doing something wrong. Unless no one dies ever only a few people are going to have power weapons on the map at any one time.

Sissel

They made a game tailored for people looking for a fun game. No failure there!
Halo 1/2 weren't fun?

So now it's dumb because everyone has a chance to get a power weapon and destroy vehicles? I don't see how it's fair for the team with the spartan laser to be able to jump in vehicles and dominate everyone else without fear of being stopped.

If you can't get at least a few kills in a warthog, you doing something wrong. Unless no one dies ever only a few people are going to have power weapons on the map at any one time.
It's fair because they fought for that weapon. If you don't like the idea of map control and fighting for power weapons, that's fine. But you have to understand Halo fans have come to love that gameplay setup and aren't fans of random shit occurring in their matches. To a lot of people, random shit in MP is NOT fun. It's the reason MW2 also got slammed by CoD4 fans.

Halo 1/2 weren't fun?

I always thought Halo MP was really dry and boring in the past. This game is a lot of fun. The not knowing makes the game interesting, and there's never a situation where people are camping a weapon spawn or rushing to the certain part of a map. It's always a crazy, unpredictable romp. Perfect!

If you want "real competivie" (i.e. boring) gameplay then you're doing it wrong anyway. The PC is over there.

Halo 1/2 weren't fun?

It's fair because they fought for that weapon. If you don't like the idea of map control and fighting for power weapons, that's fine. But you have to understand Halo fans have come to love that gameplay setup and aren't fans of random shit occurring in their matches. To a lot of people, random shit in MP is NOT fun. It's the reason MW2 also got slammed by CoD4 fans.

They dont want to hear it man. Some people want Halo to be Halo. You dont see CoD changing their formula to compete with Halo. MP is a mess, the lag, the weapons all over. The teams that unlimited sprint through the maps.

They wanted to concentrate on gun play ...with power weapon ordinances all over the map.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

Having perks and the like add nuance and layers to the game. In my opinion this adds to the complexity and increase life span for me.

Could use more maps.
preach brother.

they could add a hardcore mode I guess.

Sissel

I always thought Halo MP was really dry and boring in the past. This game is a lot of fun. The not knowing makes the game interesting, and there's never a situation where people are camping a weapon spawn or rushing to the certain part of a map. It's always a crazy, unpredictable romp. Perfect!

If you want "real competivie" (i.e. boring) gameplay then you're doing it wrong anyway. The PC is over there.
lol there you go. You never liked Halo and are trying to explain to Halo fans why this new style of Halo is better than the old one.

And Halo is (or was until Reach/Halo 4) very competitive. Stop being ignorant.

rakka

Halo 1/2 weren't fun?

It's fair because they fought for that weapon. If you don't like the idea of map control and fighting for power weapons, that's fine. But you have to understand Halo fans have come to love that gameplay setup and aren't fans of random shit occurring in their matches.

pretty much. halo 4 mp pretty much changed everything I played halo for in the first place. and not in a good way.

let bungie make the next game for fucks sake.

And Halo is (or was until Reach/Halo 4) very competitive. Stop being ignorant.

hey, reach is still a lot more halo than 4 is, be fair. armor lock sucked balls though.

You sound like a noob.

wwm0nkey

I do think this will probably be the point where current Halo fans either jump ship or stay. I am staying because I do have genuine fun with the game and at its base it is still Halo where I can outshoot someone if I am the better shot and getting first looks doesn't get me kill and it's also possible to escape encounters.

People might be off put by the changes and that is fine but others are having a blast with the game. Also slayer Pro seems to address most problems with the ordnance system since it is not present there.

strata8

*shrug* I never even knew this was a thing, and I certainly didn't see any evidence of it when I played 1 or 2 in splitscreen, 3, or Reach. Admittedly I only ever chose the social playlists so I wasn't huge on the whole competitiveness thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I do think this will probably be the point where current Halo fans either jump ship or stay. I am staying because I do have genuine fun with the game and at its base it is still Halo where I can outshoot someone if I am the better shot and getting first looks doesn't get me kill and it's also possible to escape encounters.

People might be off put by the changes and that is fine but others are having a blast with the game. Also slayer Pro seems to address most problems with the ordnance system since it is not present there.
I agree. For the most part, both campaign and multiplayer exceeded my admittedly low expectations, but by such a significant amount (especially campaign) that I can see the promise. I've been with Halo this long, and it hasn't pulled an absolutely atrocious game on me yet, so I don't think I'll jump ship, I still love the franchise enough and it's still of consistently high quality that I can't see myself abandoning it so easily over a few flaws. Emotions running high right now for everyone.

Completely agreed.

lol. No all I see is someone who doesn't know what he's talking about and most likely sucks at the game.

My point is that I don't care what you "true Halo fans" think because this game is exactly what I've been looking for. If you don't like it then don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Also, people who obsess over being competitive in a video game should re-focus some of that energy on improving their crappy real lives. It's kinda like the guy who overcompensates for his physical shortcomings by buying a bright red Corvette. Being all serious and competitive is what you do to get ahead in the real world. Video games are for chilling and having fun!

Bread

Banned
I'm loving this game, but only when I'm not playing extremely competitively, which is kind of disappointing. I have a lot of fun when I'm not taking it seriously in BTS or Regicide, but playing 4v4 slayer with serious players is just frustrating. Anyone else having this kind of experience?

Also, a big LOL at the people with the assassination mastery helmet already, did you boost for it or have you been playing non-stop since the game came out...

wwm0nkey

My point is that I don't care what you "true Halo fans" think because this game is exactly what I've been looking for. If you don't like it then don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Also, people who obsess over being competitive in a video game should re-focus some of that energy on improving their crappy real lives. It's kinda like the guy who overcompensates for his physical shortcomings by buying a bright red Corvette. Being all serious and competitive is what you do to get ahead in the real world. Video games are for chilling and having fun!
Ehhh I wouldn't say competive play is bad but I wouldn't say it effects anyone's personal life....

Completely agree with the bolded. I'm even starting to appreciate the way power weapons are handled now, after having games where I actually saw the more dynamic, fluid map control required to do well as a team play out, i.e., weapons spawn, teams gravitate towards them to battle it out and gain the upper hand by gaining the weapon. When it works, it definitely discourages the bunkering down of old Halo games around certain areas, and gives teams that lost the advantage at first a fighting chance, which is awesome.

My biggest complaint is that DMR currently makes most other weapons obsolete, and the fact that I miss the old melee-grenade-guns trifecta that was a huge part of what Halo was...grenades don't do much here and the only time someone lets you get close enough to melee means they have a shotgun, because otherwise they would have DMR pinged you from miles away.

I'm loving this game, but only when I'm not playing extremely competitively, which is kind of disappointing. I have a lot of fun when I'm not taking it seriously in BTS or Regicide, but playing 4v4 slayer with serious players is just frustrating. Anyone else having this kind of experience?

That's exactly how I feel. I usually have a terrible first hour of playing and then I just hit the BTB and don't care about helping teammates or doing anything important. I got so tired of playing CTF and getting thrown into losing matches or Ragnarok 1 minute it. I've been put into Ragnarok so many times I have to imagine that kids are getting into the banshee and mantis and instantly dying and just quitting.

Top Bottom