• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Korosenai

My point is that I don't care what you "true Halo fans" think because this game is exactly what I've been looking for. If you don't like it then don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Also, people who obsess over being competitive in a video game should re-focus some of that energy on improving their crappy real lives. It's kinda like the guy who overcompensates for his physical shortcomings by buying a bright red Corvette. Being all serious and competitive is what you do to get ahead in the real world. Video games are for chilling and having fun!
People can play serious and competitively and still have fun.

def sim

I agree. For the most part, both campaign and multiplayer exceeded my admittedly low expectations, but by such a significant amount (especially campaign) that I can see the promise. I've been with Halo this long, and it hasn't pulled an absolutely atrocious game on me yet, so I don't think I'll jump ship, I still love the franchise enough and it's still of consistently high quality that I can't see myself abandoning it so easily over a few flaws. Emotions running high right now for everyone.

For me, I just wanted some change. I was sick of the Halo formula, I've been in it since the first and, after Reach, needed something different while keeping the core game play still intact. The lack of area based weapon control is surprising and disappointing to me, but what they have now as a base is just so refreshing after all these years. For the record, I agree it needs work. A good amount of thinking over the ordinance system and bringing back weapon placements is a must, but nothing should be taken out. I also agree a playlist for a more bare bones Halo of old should be added because that variation can be fun for me and it's clear a lot of people want it. It's just a shame that some in that camp feel the need to poo poo over everyone's party.

-PXG-

Dominion is so much fun.

FYI, random elements in competitive games undermine skill, period. Global ordinances are bullshit. Even personal ordinances are lame at times. Doing well? Oh, let's give your more tools to wreck even more havoc. Camping still exists, thanks to active camo. Map control is basically gone. You can control certain parts for only so long, thanks to ordinances.

It's a fun game, but man did they really mess with the formula

rakka

Dominion is so much fun.

FYI, random elements in competitive games undermine skill, period. Global ordinances are bullshit. Even personal ordinances are lame at times. Doing well? Oh, let's give your more tools to wreck even more havoc. Camping still exists, thanks to active camo. Map control is basically gone. You can control certain parts for picky so long, thanks to ordinances.

no way dude, random shit makes a game fun. and balanced. halo sucked ass now it's fucking awesome because noobs can get kills easier.

Tokubetsu

I agree. For the most part, both campaign and multiplayer exceeded my admittedly low expectations, but by such a significant amount (especially campaign) that I can see the promise. I've been with Halo this long, and it hasn't pulled an absolutely atrocious game on me yet, so I don't think I'll jump ship, I still love the franchise enough and it's still of consistently high quality that I can't see myself abandoning it so easily over a few flaws. Emotions running high right now for everyone.

I was in love with MP from day one but a lot of the badmouth had me worried about SP...I shouldn't have let it get to me. Enjoyed the hell out of that too. My only real complaint is it feels more of a bridge the gap instead of the first in a new trilogy. The ending (pace of the story too really) feels like something that should have been in 3. I like the new characters (Lasky is cool, Palmer is cool but I wish she got more screentime), I like Cortana's new design, I fucking LOVE the mech but I'm biased (I have a thing fro giant robots...) and I love everything this art team is doing.

Yes, exactly.

Don't you see? I only like good things.
My point is that I don't care what you "true Halo fans" think because this game is exactly what I've been looking for. If you don't like it then don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Also, people who obsess over being competitive in a video game should re-focus some of that energy on improving their crappy real lives. It's kinda like the guy who overcompensates for his physical shortcomings by buying a bright red Corvette. Being all serious and competitive is what you do to get ahead in the real world. Video games are for chilling and having fun!
wow

Ken

Having perks and the like add nuance and layers to the game.

Not really with the perks currently in the game. They are more like...conveniences that are nice to have but hardly impact game play to a level where it's worth writing more than 2 sentences about.

In other words, they were right in saying these aren't CoD perks because they are kind of disappointing and don't carry much weight in games.

orznge

Banned
No thanks. Game is great. I really enjoy the variety of load out perks and weapons drops. An "even" playing field mp with weapons only super boring. So what if a rocket launcher drops in the other teams lap? The skill comes into play when you suddenly need to identify this new threat, communicate to your team, and effectively neutralize its presence. Being ready to handle any situation is a test of your skill level. The more you play the better you get.

Having perks and the like add nuance and layers to the game. In my opinion this adds to the complexity and increase life span for me. Could use more maps.

I think the same thing, applied to chess, would really broaden the game's demographic and make the game fun for someone like me, who realizes that a system in which certainty is, to an extent, eliminated, makes for a better designed game.

rakka

I'd like a playlist somewhere in between slayer pro and infinity. preset loadouts, no ordnance, no perks, with radar, no promethean. call it team slayer.

wwm0nkey

I think the same thing, applied to chess, would really broaden the game's demographic and make the game fun for someone like me, who realizes that a system in which certainty is, to an extent, eliminated, makes for a better designed game.
Please don't compare Halo or any video game to chess....unless it is a chess video game.

orznge

Banned

Sounds like that's what you do to get ahead in the real world. Cool extrapolating your own narrow-minded whatever to everyone who has ever existed though. I'm not being sarcastic. I regularly drive my car past people playing street hoops and yell "it doesn't matter who wins you small-dicked dumbasses!" and then they see how wrong they were to compete at a mere game and pack up their things and go home

orznge

Banned
Please don't compare Halo or any video game to chess....unless it is a chess video game.

Chess is a great example to use for that kind of shit because people that normally act stupid all of the time have a higher chance of saying "hey wait, that might not be a good thing to do to a game"

wwm0nkey

Chess is a great example to use for that kind of shit because people that normally act stupid all of the time have a higher chance of saying "hey wait, that might not be a good thing to do to a game"
I just would have used a better example like an arena shooter that has had very little changes or something, just not chess.

orznge

Banned
I just would have used a better example like an arena shooter that has had very little changes or something, just not chess.

people won't accept an arena shooter example because no one is smart or plays arena shooters or knows why any of them are good

Hoo-doo

Banned
I must be alone in this, but I think most of these armorsets look completely ridiculous. It's not even recognizable as Halo anymore, i feel they could be from any generic scace shooter or something.

Ken

I must be alone in this, but I think most of these armorsets look completely ridiculous. It's not even recognizable as Halo anymore, i feel they could be from any generic scace shooter or something.

Are you saying saying armor sets from past games weren't generic, because quite a few of the ones in this game are derived from previous titles.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Are you saying saying armor sets from past games weren't generic, because quite a few of the ones in this game are derived from previous titles.

Even those had a more unified style. These all look way too overdesigned for the sake of designing.

Trey

Chess is not a great example because it's a board game that has endured for hundreds of years, not a video game that must come out with a sequel every few years and attract new players in a dynamically changing industry.

Chess doesn't have to adapt. It's just chess. Halo does.

orznge

Banned
Chess is not a great example because it's a board game that has endured for thousands of centuries, not a video game that must come out with a sequel every few years and attract new players in a dynamically changing industry.

Chess doesn't have to adapt. It's just chess. Halo does.

just because some guy that you're never, ever going to meet who doesn't give a single shit needs a bigger quarterly bonus mandates that the game come out with a new entry every few years doesn't mean it's wrong to talk about game design without injecting the element of money into it

Karl2177

seriously whats up with online numbers. Game cant even crack 400k.

Game is probably too accurate with their numbers. I want to say Reach refreshes every 5 minutes or something like that, while Halo 3's refreshed every hour. I'd expect Halo 4's to be similar to Reach's system of tracking players.

Striker

Game is probably too accurate with their numbers. I want to say Reach refreshes every 5 minutes or something like that, while Halo 3's refreshed every hour. I'd expect Halo 4's to be similar to Reach's system of tracking players.
I always thought Halo 3's refreshed every 24 hours, and even then it was often inflated.

Trey

just because some guy that you're never, ever going to meet who doesn't give a single shit needs a bigger quarterly bonus mandates that the game come out with a new entry every few years doesn't mean it's wrong to talk about game design without injecting the element of money into it

Your desire to compare this game to chess is off base. Period. There are development and sales realities that exist which demand certain actions. They are trying to make money, not to make the most balanced and skill based shooter to ever hit the market. You cannot leverage the game design of chess with that of Halo because they share nothing in common: not cultural relevancy, not input/output design, not execution demands, not setup requirements, not sale expectancy, not market competition, not player-opponent interaction, not anything other than the fact that you can define them both, overall, as a game.

You're not talking game design. You're talking bullshit.

Top Bottom