• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

zlatko

Banned
So how much is this community going to bail once Blops 2 releases tomorrow? I hope the population doesn't nosedive.

It will definitely be lessened, but at the same time if Blops 2 is shitty, it may send people back to H4.

Expect at least a third of the population to be gonezo.

My gripes are mostly with any kind of team orientated game. I think it's fine for FFA or Flood, but other than that it is crazy bad.

Solace and Complex are my standouts. But I mostly like team objective games for both of those.

Yeah, Abandon CTF makes no sense at all. If 1-Flag were in the game...

So is the shotgun the most useless weapon ever?

'prees X to pick up shotgun'

lol I don't think so

The shotgun is a beast in Halo 4, that thing packs a punch.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
He's in my avatar.

untitled2.png

That looks so sick. Straight up Yoji Shinkawa.

Doodis

go watch Spartan Ops cutscenes.

who made the CG for this game? really amazing.

That first Spartan Ops episode is just soooo good. I've had to watch it several times. Freaking love the line about
helping the covenant meet their god, then seeing the infinity pound their ships coming out of slipspace.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Either make a Mobility loadout and try to flank enemies with the Storm Rifle OR take it as a secondary with Firepower. Dexterity makes it cooldown faster, it cannot shoot for very long.

Thanks for the tip I'll check it out. Need to unlock firepower havn't played for like 2 days smh

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think this is the quickest I've gotten bored of a Halo title in MP. People keep voting to play the same maps over and over again. And the game let's you vote on 3 maps but sometimes that voting contains a map you just played. Am I just being nostalgic here or has Halo's map selection always been this sparse?

Has 343 said anything about putting out forge maps?

Woorloog

Banned
You know what bothers me? Halo 4 has great cover art. But i don't have that as i have the Limited Edition, which, while neat-looking, does not feature the actual cover art anywhere :/
Too often this is the case for limited editions. I kinda liked the way Reach did this, the ONI security box containing normal Reach case was a good idea.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know what bothers me? Halo 4 has great cover art. But i don't have that as i have the Limited Edition, which, while neat-looking, does not feature the actual cover art anywhere :/
Too often this is the case for limited editions. I kinda liked the way Reach did this, the ONI security box containing normal Reach case was a good idea.

That steel case is sexy as fuck though.

Jonsoncao

Banned
The Legendary campaign is such a huge downgrade from Reach...gameplay-wise...

Way too easy, can't remember a single sandbox after finishing it, so forgettable, easily one of the worst campaign of the series, on par with Halo 2's campaign.

Anyone with me?

DesertFox

Way too easy, can't remember a single sandbox after finishing it, so forgettable, easily one of the worst campaign of the series, on par with Halo 2's campaign.

Anyone with me?

Nope.

I thought it was great. But I play the Halo campaigns for the story, not solely for the fireworks.

Anyone with me?

Mission 5 was good, sandbox-wise

and uh...

giga

Not a big gaming side poster, but I got Halo 4 as a gift, and I have to say it's probably my favorite in the series after the original. I'm talking about the campaign, since I haven't touched multiplayer. (I haven't finished the campaign, so it might even exceed it when I'm through with it.)

I've completed 2, 3, and reach, and their campaigns just didn't do as much for me as CE did. Halo 4 though--I'm having a lot of fun. It feels just as fresh as the first one did. New forerunner enemies and weapons are great too.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have to admit, I thought the sticky detonator looked really stupid and pointless in footage and up until release, but after using it, it's one of my favourite weapons in the game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I have to admit, I thought the sticky detonator looked really stupid and pointless in footage and up until release, but after using it, it's one of my favourite weapons in the game.

I know when to use it and i really like the weapon, but my problem is staying alive long enough to get to. That thing will clear out a small skirmish like no one's business.

I'd almost rather ditch the chief and just do Spartan IV campaigns from here out. Keep John as a wizened, battle-worn veteran on the Infinity to help raise up the next generations.

And speaking of Spartan IV campaigns, I'd really love it if you either earned Ordnance drops in Spartan Ops, or if at certain points in the mission you could choose one of the ordnance options and see Infinity fire one of those weapon-capsules on the field. It'd be far more dramatic than placing the odd weapon crate here and there.

Last bit - if the campaigns moving forward were Spartan IVs then we'd get additional replay-ability through tackling missions with our own loadouts of armor abilities, weapons and support options, rather than the meager selection we're provided in the campaigns to date.

Popeck

Still not as good as the Propipe from Reach but yeah, I definitely go for the weapon even if shouldn't.

Indeed. Dear god.

These all look like cheap b-tier game characters.

I don't understand what they were thinking with those armor designs. They're awful compared to Reach for example.

Satchel

Banned
Fuck. SWAT is up and I'm not home to play it for another 5 hours.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Goodbye all other playlists. Hellooooooo SWAT.

Spartan Ops is a complete disappointment. I was thinking it was going to be more along the lines of MW's SpecOps, where each mission consists of different playstyles and challenges that wouldn't fit in the main campaign, but which the designers wanted to include in the game regardless.

Nope, Spartan Ops is just shooting a bunch of enemies and destroying/activating three objectives ad nauseum. It's incredibly boring.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Anyone with me?

I disagree. Loved the campaign(beat it coop legendary, working on solo now), they took halo in a new direction, and it can only go up with Next Gen hardware.

Also for the first time since Halo CE I actually wanted to explore and discover things about this alien world. As much as I loved Reaches campaign, it didn't really give me that sense of wonder like Bungie said they were aiming to do in the vid docs.

From that first time you walk out into the light with the amazing soundtrack playing on requiem, and the breathtaking view, this place just felt alien and mysterious. Very well done atmosphere.

rakka

Fuck. SWAT is up and I'm not home to play it for another 5 hours.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Goodbye all other playlists. Hellooooooo SWAT.

hmm you're one of the guys in here that defends the ordnance drops in slayer.

but if there's one thing we can all agree on its that swat kicks ass

Nope, Spartan Ops is just shooting a bunch of enemies and destroying/activating three objectives ad nauseum.
Sounds like every shooter campaign, including Halo.

Only difference here is that they take less time to complete, and you can choose your AA, weapons and support. Those choices alone make it better than the standard campaign for me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nope, Spartan Ops is just shooting a bunch of enemies and destroying/activating three objectives ad nauseum. It's incredibly boring.
I'm just playing it like it's Firefight, since I like shooting shit and earning challenges and XP, but it's not quite as fun. It's a nice diversion from MP, but I miss the true Firefight modes.

Petrichor

You say this like it wasn't the case for every Halo game ever.

Every encounter in halo 4 is either grunts jackals and elites, knights and watchers, or crawlers and watchers, with 6 hunters and a couple of promethean battlewagons littered around. The variety of enemies in Halo 3 facilitated a much broader spectrum of encounters - I felt like I'd seen everything the halo 4 enemy sandbox had to show me by the end of mission 3.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Getting sponged in this game is incredibly irritating just because how fucking random it is. 4 shots a dude's shields go down then you get to watch yourself bounce 5 shots off his skull and he is just like..'ok thanks i was hungery'. Thankfully it doesnt happen often but when it does..ugh.

DocSeuss

Am I just bad at Halo or something? Halo Reach's Heroic seemed like it was flawlessly balanced for my skill level. In 4, I found myself frustrated by way too many areas on the same difficulty. People are complaining about Legendary being easy? WTF. What's "easy"?

DesertFox

Every encounter in halo 4 is either grunts jackals and elites, knights and watchers, or crawlers and watchers, with 6 hunters and a couple of promethean battlewagons littered around. The variety of enemies in Halo 3 facilitated a much broader spectrum of encounters - I felt like I'd seen everything the halo 4 enemy sandbox had to show me by the end of mission 3.

I definitely agree with you there. I was so sick of fighting Prometheans after the 4th mission. Hopefully they find a way to make them behave more unpredictably or add new varieties to the Prometheans for Halo 5.

(HINT: Let the Prometheans use their own new vehicle class. Maybe?)

Woorloog

Banned
Am I just bad at Halo or something? Halo Reach's Heroic seemed like it was flawlessly balanced for my skill level. In 4, I found myself frustrated by way too many areas on the same difficulty. People are complaining about Legendary being easy? WTF. What's "easy"?

Hoard power weapons. Accurate firing. Keep a precision weapon with all the times, DO NOT WASTE ANY AMMO. Every shot must count, otherwise restart from checkpoint.
Stay back and drop as many enemies from long range as possible.
I follow these in every Halo. And Halo 4 is the easiest (Halo 2 is hardest (truly difficult) but not as hard as many make it sounds, then Reach (cheating AI), Halo CE (difficult encounters), Halo 3 (stupid AI), ODST (very strong player character, can take a beam rifle hit and not die) and finally Halo 4 (overall just easy)).

DocSeuss

I definitely agree with you there. I was so sick of fighting Prometheans after the 4th mission. Hopefully they find a way to make them behave more unpredictably or add new varieties to the Prometheans for Halo 5.

(HINT: Let the Prometheans use their own new vehicle class. Maybe?)

While I agree with you, I actually turned around and started loving Prometheans at the end. Popping their shields, seeking them out when they teleport, taking down anyone who tries to resurrect them... it's pretty fun. Not happy with the one-hit kill guys, mind, but there's definitely some fun to be had with Knights. At the very least, they're significantly more enjoyable than Brutes, which are mercifully absent from the game.

Still, I can't think of any encounter in Halo 4 that felt quite as flawless as the Sword Base level from Reach. Start out with a grunte/elite/jackal fight, hit some ranged guys, take out another gaggle of grunts and elites

The sandbox is definitely off, but I'm not sure if that's the difficulty being weird (doesn't facilitate player motion enough--the core of good Halo play) or the levels feeling narrower (same thing), because they seem to have the same variety of enemy types as previous Halo games.

Part of the issue might be that the enemies have very similar silhouettes. It appears you're only fighting grunts, jackals, elites, hunters, knights, watchers, and crawlers, but you're actually fighting several subtypes that all have different behavior patterns.

Hoard power weapons. Accurate firing. Keep a precision weapon with all the times, DO NOT WASTE ANY AMMO. Every shot must count, otherwise restart from checkpoint.
Stay back and drop as many enemies from long range as possible.
I follow these in every Halo. And Halo 4 is the easiest (Halo 2 is hardest (truly difficult) but not as hard as many make it sounds, then Reach (cheating AI), Halo CE (difficult encounters), Halo 3 (stupid AI), ODST (very strong player character, can take a beam rifle hit and not die) and finally Halo 4 (overall just easy)).

I don't remember having any one-shot enemies in Reach, much less enemies who could straight-up take more than 3/4 of my shields down instantly. The only trouble I've had on Heroic in previous Halo games was during Keyes (the only Halo level I straight-up hate). In Halo 4, I was dying, constantly, even on Heroic. It just... it wasn't fun. It felt more challenging than Reach, where I didn't die all that much and was able to spend more time running around than hiding in cover. I hate that. I hate not moving. Even on normal, it takes too long for shields to recharge.

In ODST, I actually felt significantly weaker than I did in previous Halo games, which caused me to start avoiding encounters as best I could.

Holy Masochistic Jesus. I could never play like that.

Just know your weapon strengths well, know your cover locations so you don't walk into multiple fields of fire, and take it slow. The Plasma pistol is your savior, save the heavy weapons to strip the shields of the tough guys, learn to scavenge the field for weapons and AAs like your life depends upon it, and nail those headshots.

The sandbox is definitely off, but I'm not sure if that's the difficulty being weird (doesn't facilitate player motion enough--the core of good Halo play) or the levels feeling narrower (same thing), because they seem to have the same variety of enemy types as previous Halo games.
My main problem with the sandbox has been pointed out a few times already, but its the linear priority of targets when facing prometheans. There is never any reason not to take out watchers first, for instance. 343 needs to mix the behavior up more, so that different combinations of enemies form better strategies together, and force you to re prioritize your targets as the combat goes on.

Top Bottom